Was Parcells more bad than good for Jets in the long term?

AFJF

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised to see how many people are dismissing the "long term" part of the question.

Surprised that the OP does not understand what the business mode of the Jets was at that time.

Parcells was hired to bring a championship to the Jets immediately. Hess knew that he was dying, he knew that his family was not going to control the Jets in the future and wanted to win a championship in his lifetime. Which was short at that point.

Alll of the Jets moves made at that time were to win a championship in a short window, while not being considered about the future. Parcells was following orders in that direction.

If we wanted to answer a silly question like "I wonder what would have happened if", the "if" should not be Parcells, but it should be should the Jets have gone "all in" at that time. 

And really, I can not blame Hess for what he did. It was his team.

Surprised that the OP does not understand what the business mode of the Jets was at that time.

Parcells was hired to bring a championship to the Jets immediately. Hess knew that he was dying, he knew that his family was not going to control the Jets in the future and wanted to win a championship in his lifetime. Which was short at that point.

Alll of the Jets moves made at that time were to win a championship in a short window, while not being considered about the future. Parcells was following orders in that direction.

If we wanted to answer a silly question like "I wonder what would have happened if", the "if" should not be Parcells, but it should be should the Jets have gone "all in" at that time. 

And he still left behind the core of a team that carried halfwit Herm to a few decent seasons. 

Why are there 5 pages on this? The thread specifically is asking about long term. In the long term, we've done exactly the same as we did in the 20 years preceding his tenure, but Peyton has gone on to win 5 MVPs, 1 superbowl, and 4 afc title games.

It's blatantly obvious that he was more bad than good if he had the chance to take Peyton and he didn't. His reasoning or justification or anything be damned. 

And he still left behind the core of a team that carried halfwit Herm to a few decent seasons. 

Yeah, but we didn't get Peyton. You know, Peyton Manning. That qb guy. That guy that would have guaranteed us a SB, if not 5. Because that stuff happens when your revise history. 

Just watch "It's a Wonderful Life" movie. They have a time machine there, and everything changes. It is cool

in Parcells defense... Manning was a junior in college and who knew what he would become.  All that talent and very low playoff wins etc.  I haven't checked it but didn't he also show signs in college of breaking under pressure?  I'll check it but he did have some chokes in college. 

He has a superbowl ring, quiet you

This has made me wonder, if the jets did draft Peyton Manning, would they had then had Peyton Manning play Peyton Manning with the 2010 Colts and how confused would the announcers been at that game. 

And, would Peyton beat Peyton, and would have Rex still been coronated as best football Jet coach ever?

Food for thought.

Yeah, but we didn't get Peyton. You know, Peyton Manning. That qb guy. That guy that would have guaranteed us a SB, if not 5. Because that stuff happens when your revise history. 

Just watch "It's a Wonderful Life" movie. They have a time machine there, and everything changes. It is cool

Parcells was probably preoccupied with telling the Sixers to draft Keith Van Horn instead of Tracy McGrady.

Heard Gary Myers again talking about some of the tidbits from his book.

Mentioned again how all Archie Manning wanted from Parcells was a promise that he'd take Peyton number one overall but BP wouldn't commit so he told him to go back to school.

Then repeated the story about the scout who was begging Parcells to take Brady in the 5th round but he refused.

Combine that with Parcells hanging around and essentially chasing Belichick off to New England.

Thoughts?

Like he did with the Patriots, Par$ells changes the mindset of the organization, brought a level of respectability and an identity to the team.

it was not realistic to think we'd win a SB w/in 3 years.  that was parcells doing not an edict from Hess.  BP only committed to 2 years I believe and hess convinced him to come back for year 3.  the only time he gave any thought to our future was when Groh was in charge of our draft in 2000 and he was helping him.  Then after Groh resigned he gave Bryan Cox a great deal that he knew e couldn't keep him on that hurt our cap as we had to cut him.

This has made me wonder, if the jets did draft Peyton Manning, would they had then had Peyton Manning play Peyton Manning with the 2010 Colts and how confused would the announcers been at that game. 

And, would Peyton beat Peyton, and would have Rex still been coronated as best football Jet coach ever?

Food for thought.

It's almost as if those posters who supported Rex have realized that neither history nor the future will validate their position, so they've instead tried to minimize the legacies of every other coach they could find as a way of lowering the bar. Clever. Sad, but clever.

It's almost as if those posters who supported Rex have realized that neither history nor the future will validate their position, so they've instead tried to minimize the legacies of every other coach they could find as a way of lowering the bar. Clever. Sad, but clever.

Sweet...another Rex thread.

Based on how Archie handled Eli situation, having no issue with him coming to NY, hard to believe Peyton would have had any worries.  Archie ran things for them.  If NY was good enough for Eli, it would've been good enough for Peyton IMO.

Except it wasn't that Archie was ok with NY...it was that he was NOT ok with San Diego. Big difference.

Except it wasn't that Archie was ok with NY...it was that he was NOT ok with San Diego. Big difference.

Right..he was anti SD in a big way, but my point was that he was cool with Eli going to NY.  I've heard people say he thought Peyton couldn't handle NY, but not with any real context.

Right..he was anti SD in a big way, but my point was that he was cool with Eli going to NY.  I've heard people say he thought Peyton couldn't handle NY, but not with any real context.

he was on board w/ Peyton coming here, all you wanted was an assurance from BP that he would take him.  BP wouldn't give him that and he went back to UT to lose to UF again.

he was on board w/ Peyton coming here, all you wanted was an assurance from BP that he would take him.  BP wouldn't give him that and he went back to UT to lose to UF again.

Maybe, maybe not.  Lots of different versions of what Archie wanted coming from a bunch of people who weren't in the room.  At the end of the day, Jets had a rare chance to grab an all-time great QB and passed. 

Maybe, maybe not.  Lots of different versions of what Archie wanted coming from a bunch of people who weren't in the room.  At the end of the day, Jets had a rare chance to grab an all-time great QB and passed. 

when you look back and realize how close we were to ether Peyton or Brady and BB it is really frustrating.  so close to having chances at multiple Super Bowls.  One day we'll get lucky and have an elite QB, I hope I am alive for it.

Archie's Mom said he was waiting to hear from the Tuna and never did so he went back for his senior year.. Most everyone firgured since the Tuna was only going to coach for 3 years he wanted multiple picks for the number 1 slot and was going to trade out..   http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/16/sports/manning-may-have-been-waiting-for-sign-from-the-jets.html

Archie's Mom said he was waiting to hear from the Tuna and never did so he went back for his senior year.. Most everyone firgured since the Tuna was only going to coach for 3 years he wanted multiple picks for the number 1 slot and was going to trade out..   http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/16/sports/manning-may-have-been-waiting-for-sign-from-the-jets.html

Yeah, that was another article I read the other day after hearing Myers on the radio.  Crazy to think they passed on him and Brady.  I forget the name of the scout who was supposedly begging Parcells to take him.

ARCHIE'S MOM

Just jumping into this thread late but Parcell's hate rookie QB's.  Hated them.  Didnt want to deal with them at all. 

Just jumping into this thread late but Parcell's hate rookie QB's.  Hated them.  Didnt want to deal with them at all. 

And yet he fully embraced door knobs like rick mirer.  Even the great ones can't be perfect.  Why the heck did he draft noodle arm I wonder?

He even sat Phil Simms for a season and he wasn't a rookie.. The Tuna also said a rookie will cost you at least 1 game when you start them..

He even sat Phil Simms for a season and he wasn't a rookie.. The Tuna also said a rookie will cost you at least 1 game when you start them..

Hey, at least Rick Mirer wasn't a rookie.

Archived