Was Parcells more bad than good for Jets in the long term?

AFJF

True, and that's why I've always liked him so much.  But is there anyone other than Parcells who wouldn't have been willing to give Archie the guarantee to get Peyton in Green and White?

He was only going to coach for 3 years so taking a rookie QB never would have been in his plans. When he took Chad in 2000 he was just the GM on his way out..

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Parcells should have known the value of a potential franchise QB. He didn't have one at the time at all as Glenn Foley was the starter when he arrived and Boomer Esiason was on his way to Arizona as a FA. I don't see how Parcells could have passed up Manning and I will never forgive him for doing so. The best draft picks he made were Jason Fabini, Randy Thomas and Ryan Young. In 2000 he made the trade for Keyshawn and got two first rounders. He got Chad Pennington and Sean Ellis along with John Abraham and later Laveraunes Coles. He also got James Farrior who he didn't like and sent to Pittsburgh. All in all a mixed bag because he missed on the best one....Manning.

Farrior went to the Steelers in 2002 you may be thinking of Hugh Douglas that he traded to the Eagles??

Yep, that's what I recall. Hillbilly wanted no part of NY. Had nothin to do with Parcells not be willing to take him no. 1.

That's not really true. Old Archie worked for Bear Stearns on Wall St. after he hung up his cleats and realized playing in NY was key to enormous marketing dollars. As you can see he managed to help his son see that anyway, but I believe the story that Archie wanted Peyton in NY. Seems even more plausible after seeing what he did with younger son Eli.

I don't think Archie would have wanted Eli so in Peyton's shadow.  

Archie didn't want Eli in SD, because they had been so bad for so long.  Archie took a beating playing for crap teams, and did not want that for Eli.  And being a rookie QB in NY is tough, but being one in NY where your brother is Peyton in his prime would have been really hard.

I agree, I think he would steer them away from competing for the same marketing dollars first and foremost, and different conferences as well

Based on how Archie handled Eli situation, having no issue with him coming to NY, hard to believe Peyton would have had any worries.  Archie ran things for them.  If NY was good enough for Eli, it would've been good enough for Peyton IMO.

What he said: 12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Archie has explicitly stated that Peyton couldn't handle New York the same way Eli does.

Actually in a short period of time Parcells turned around the entire Jets organization and made into a team that has been a semi-winning franchise. We are not the mostly losing team we were before he came on board. To me Parcells was the best thing that ever happened to the Jets. You can criticize individual moves but that petty stuff. The guy is one of the all time greats. 

You guys are forgetting what a joke this franchise was prior to Parcells.

He was the fulcrum that shifted the Jets to respectability - the organization still gets unfairly grouped with the Browns because of our history prior to Bill Parcells saving us.

Yes, he has worts, he was an awful drafter but he could coach his ass off and he made the Jets a destination, got us further than we had been in 30 years and set the tone for the future successes.  The Jets have actually made the playoffs a decent amount of times since Parcells time.  We've been playing elite QB's in this division from Marino to Kelly to the Cheater but the Jets have actually been decent for quite a few years.  Parcells is the guy who changed everything for us IMO.  Yes, we should've had Peyton but Bill did a lot to turn this organziation around from changing the uniforms to getting us one half fro the Superbowl.

Interesting.  However, we probably wouldn't have had a chance at Belichick had he not been here in the first place (which he was because of Parcells).  As for Peyton, that one hurts if the story is true (and I have heard it many times).  As for Brady, that's another one that really hurts if true.  Still though, Parcells got us closest to a title than I've ever seen in my life.  I'm convinced we would've beaten Atlanta had we made the SB.  And we led 10-0 in the 2nd half against Denver in the AFC CG.  We were close.

We were as close with Rex, if not closer. Had a 17-0 lead against Manning with 2 mins till half, if I remember correctly. 

Ive been saying it for years. Parcells was very overrated here. 

We were as close with Rex, if not closer. Had a 17-0 lead against Manning with 2 mins till half, if I remember correctly. 

Ive been saying it for years. Parcells was very overrated here. 

I don't think we were as close as we were w/ Parcells.  We had an 11 point lead in that game (I looked it up - I assume 14-3).  But we knew it would be hard to stop Peyton all game long.  Plus even if we won we still would've faced a tough New Orleans team.

Parcells almost got us to face Atlanta who I would've felt confident against (as we crushed them earlier in the season).

14-3 is definitely a bigger lead than 17-0 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this was directed at me but, if so, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  J4Jets said "Had a 17-0 lead against Manning with...".   I was trying to tell him we didn't lead by that much (we led by 11, not 17).

And Parcells should have known the value of a potential franchise QB. He didn't have one at the time at all as Glenn Foley was the starter when he arrived and Boomer Esiason was on his way to Arizona as a FA. I don't see how Parcells could have passed up Manning and I will never forgive him for doing so. The best draft picks he made were Jason Fabini, Randy Thomas and Ryan Young. In 2000 he made the trade for Keyshawn and got two first rounders. He got Chad Pennington and Sean Ellis along with John Abraham and later Laveraunes Coles. He also got James Farrior who he didn't like and sent to Pittsburgh. All in all a mixed bag because he missed on the best one....Manning.

It wasnt he didnt get the value of one.  He had to rebuild the Jets, a 1 win team the year before and he couldnt promise his friend that he wouldnt trade the pick if someone made him a crazy offer.  If a team offered a trade like when NO traded their entire draft for Ricky Williams.  All of this has nothing to do with what happened.  He just couldnt make a promise.

I don't get it.  You're saying that if Peyton were drafted by Parcells then Eli wouldn't have pushed for a trade to the Giants?  I don't buy that.

Btw, I can't even believe a player would force their way out of San Diego, w/ their beautiful weather.  NY is a great city (especially when you're rich like Eli) but we have snowstorms here.  It's going to reach 63 today there.

Eli didnt push for a trade to the Giants.

He pushed for a trade to get out of SD.  

NO its not.  

But some Jets fans take pride in telling all this.  

Okay then, which era do you look back at (again not the Namath 1969 era) where it's not depressing?  I would say the Parcells era but look at the topic of this thread.  Any other era?

I don't think we were as close as we were w/ Parcells.  We had an 11 point lead in that game (I looked it up - I assume 14-3).  But we knew it would be hard to stop Peyton all game long.  Plus even if we won we still would've faced a tough New Orleans team.

Parcells almost got us to face Atlanta who I would've felt confident against (as we crushed them earlier in the season).

The Tuna had a Pro Bowl QB in Vinny in 98 the Jets in 09-10 didn't..When Vinny went down game 1, 1999 the team started 1-6..

Not sure if this was directed at me but, if so, I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.  J4Jets said "Had a 17-0 lead against Manning with...".   I was trying to tell him we didn't lead by that much (we led by 11, not 17).

It was 17-6, but they spit up a TD before the half to Collie, so they only had a 4 point lead at the half.  The Broncos game had horrible winds and we shut them out at the half.  For a Belichik Parcells team to give up that lead was despicable.  

Parcells did seem to change the culture here and demand respect.  I hated the fat ****er and for the "Super Bowl or it's meaningless" crowd, he was as big a failure as anybody, but he did that.  The team was in better shape when he left than when Rex left, but his insistence on meddling without taking responsibility caused Belichik to run for it and he didn't do us many favors in the personnel department.  When you talk about coaching, that fat underbellied piece of sh*t was here for 3 seasons. The Conference Championship game against Elway you can almost forgive, HOF QB in one of the most difficult parks to play.  The other 2 years he was here our chances were squandered by specific decisions of his.  100%.  The Leon Johnson HB pass?  ******* moron.  Sticking with Rick Mirer for half the ******* season.  Unforgivable.  Fat ******* carpetbagger.

It was 17-6, but they spit up a TD before the half to Collie, so they only had a 4 point lead at the half.  The Broncos game had horrible winds and we shut them out at the half.  For a Belichik Parcells team to give up that lead was despicable.  

Parcells did seem to change the culture here and demand respect.  I hated the fat ****er and for the "Super Bowl or it's meaningless" crowd, he was as big a failure as anybody, but he did that.  The team was in better shape when he left than when Rex left, but his insistence on meddling without taking responsibility caused Belichik to run for it and he didn't do us many favors in the personnel department.  When you talk about coaching, that fat underbellied piece of sh*t was here for 3 seasons. The Conference Championship game against Elway you can almost forgive, HOF QB in one of the most difficult parks to play.  The other 2 years he was here our chances were squandered by specific decisions of his.  100%.  The Leon Johnson HB pass?  ******* moron.  Sticking with Rick Mirer for half the ******* season.  Unforgivable.  Fat ******* carpetbagger.

The Leon Johnson pass was Parcells' 1st year here.  We weren't winning the SB that year.

The Rick Mirer decision I assume was to see if he got any better as the season went on.  We really didn't have anything better on the bench.  Yes I know we couldn't lose under Ray Lucas but he was still a very crappy QB (who Parcells figured out how to win with).  Tebow won games too (including a playoff game) but nobody took him seriously (though ironically I would've given him another look after he changed his throwing motion).  In short, I think the Leon Johnson and Rick Mirer decisions were fine.  I never understood the Parcells hate.  Maybe he was a grouchy kind of guy but he was a damn good coach and, "at the end of the day" (Maccagnan speak), that's what matters.

Okay then, which era do you look back at (again not the Namath 1969 era) where it's not depressing?  I would say the Parcells era but look at the topic of this thread.  Any other era?

Years after Namath left.  Those years were bleak.  Two Kotite seasons were bad, but thats hardly an era

I loved the Parcells years, even when we lost I thought we lost the way a team should lose, going for it.  Nothing about it or being a fan after Parcells was depressing

Eli didnt push for a trade to the Giants.

He pushed for a trade to get out of SD.  

+1 Archie wanted his son to go to a good franchise with a good HC and Tom Coughlin was from the Parcells tree.. If BB didn't have Brady when Eli came out he would have liked that also..

Years after Namath left.  Those years were bleak.  Two Kotite seasons were bad, but thats hardly an era

I loved the Parcells years, even when we lost I thought we lost the way a team should lose, going for it.  Nothing about it or being a fan after Parcells was depressing

Nothing?  Not Doug Brien?  Not the butt-fumble?  Not losing to Rex twice to cost us a playoff berth?

Nothing?  Not Doug Brien?  Not the butt-fumble?  Not losing to Rex twice to cost us a playoff berth?

If you get depressed, your words, over individual bad plays you need to stop watching sports.  Even the best teams make bad plays.  

You sound like the person who gets depressed if every single play doesnt work, every FG isnt good, every pass is completed, if every game isnt a win or every season isnt a total success.  Sports dont work that way.

+1 Archie wanted his son to go to a good franchise with a good HC and Tom Coughlin was from the Parcells tree.. If BB didn't have Brady when Eli came out he would have liked that also..

Wait, hang on...you're saying that Archie Manning would only advise his sons to play for stable franchises with established ownership and might intervene if one of his sons might end up on a team with a track record of organizational dysfunction? No way. NO WAY.

Archived