Jets want to re-sign Bilal Powell, but AFC East foes could be lurking ~ ~ ~

kelly

With free agency set to begin March 9, we'll examine the New York Jets' top free agents.

Player: Bilal Powell

Position: Running back

Previous contract: One year, $2 million.

2015 stats: He missed five games due to injuries, but still set career highs with 47 catches (tied for 10th among running backs) and 388 receiving yards. As the No. 2 runner, backing up Chris Ivory, Powell rushed 70 times for 313 yards, a 4.5 per-carry average. He totaled three touchdowns, including two as a receiver.

The case to keep him: Did you watch the last game of the season? The offense struggled without the injured Powell, who had emerged as a dependable No. 3 option in the passing game during the stretch run. Coach Todd Bowles is a Powell fan; he named Powell and left guard James Carpenter as the two biggest surprises of 2015. Powell has value because of his diverse skill set. He can catch, block and play on special teams. He never was known as a threat in space, but he appeared quicker last season, enabling him to make more plays with the ball. In fact, he averaged 9.11 yards after catch, seventh among running backs, per ESPN Stats & Information.

The case to let him go: Powell is a solid player, but not dynamic. He has only nine total touchdowns in five seasons, showing he's not a home run threat. His 4.5 per-carry average jumps off the page, but it's somewhat misleading because 45 of his 70 carries came with three or four wide receivers on the field. In other words, most of his yardage came against "light" boxes, so he's not really a No. 1-caliber back. He's the classic complementary back.

Crystal ball: In a weak market, Powell is arguably the top pass-catching back under the age of 30. He will have suitors if he hits the open market; the Miami Dolphins could be one of those teams. VP Mike Tannenbaum, formerly the Jets' general manager, drafted Powell in 2011 and could be looking to rebuild his backfield. Former Jets coach Rex Ryan also is a Powell admirer, so don't be surprised if the Buffalo Bills check in. Because of cap restraints, the Jets might have to make a choice -- Powell or Ivory. Powell will be cheaper (about $3 million per year), increasing his chances of re-signing.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58546/jets-want-to-re-sign-bilal-powell-but-afc-east-foes-could-be-lurking

Powell as a back when he's not overused can be very effective and good in the running game and as a receiver. He showed a burst last year that I'd never seen before.  He looked faster, too. So he's gotten better. Looks like he'd be perfect in Belichick's offense as one of a small group of Rbs that all get moderate usage. 

Usual trend, arms flailing in the air and panic mode because afc east rivals ill surely sign any player we let go.  He really upped his game last year and is an important guy for us to resign, perhaps moreso than Ivory considering price. (if as expected we take a back in the draft.)  If someone goes beyond our price point then he leaves.

Powell is extremely important to resign in my opinion. The Jets offense is a work in progress. As the article states, Powell emerged as the 3rd option behind Marshall and Decker. When the season began, every opponent we played figured they'd be in great shape if they just stopped Chris Ivory and the running game. Most normally that was the right thinking. Fitz, Marshall, and Decker quickly built unison and that made opponents have to be much more mindful of the Jets passing game. Can you believe that? Probably the very first time our opponents have been concerned about the Jets passing game since about 2008.

Opponents caught up with what the Jets were doing through the air mostly based on what the Patsies did to us in about week 7. The Patsies doubled Marshall and took him out of the game, they stacked the box and took Ivory out of the game.

But once the winning streak began, Chan Gailey had brought a new wrinkle into the passing game. Bilal Powell was done being injured and he changed up the Jets passing attack in a big way. Those WR pick plays worked like a charm during the winning streak. Defenses did not have an answer for that.

To let him go now and not have anything for an understudy would put Fitz in the wrong spot. For Fitz to be successful, the Jets must have all of the offensive weapons. A pass catching RB is probably the very first weapon. Not to mention this guy will come relatively cheaper in comparison to guys like Mo Wilkerson.

I can see no earthly reason whatsoever to suggest the Jets cannot get Bilal Powell resigned.

I am curious as to why we have not signed any of our free agents yet?  Would be nice to lock a couple up before FA starts.

Powell, like all our FA should be assigned a value and if they will not sign for close to that value then they can walk or in the case of Mo, tagged and traded.  You can't over pay.

He actually later in the year was the Jets best back. In the same game he was gaining yardage when Ivory was getting stuffed. So if it takes 3 mil to sign him it shouldn't be a barrier and again I think NEP would pay him that amount. His value could be higher though. 

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Usual trend, arms flailing in the air and panic mode because afc east rivals ill surely sign any player we let go.  He really upped his game last year and is an important guy for us to resign, perhaps moreso than Ivory considering price. (if as expected we take a back in the draft.)  If someone goes beyond our price point then he leaves.

Isn't it amazing? 

We don't like a player on a our roster but are deathly afraid he's going to another team in the division.  More to the point, the Pats.  Where the player will go to haunt us forever.  Because the list of times that has happened is huge.

29 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I am curious as to why we have not signed any of our free agents yet?  Would be nice to lock a couple up before FA starts.

Powell, like all our FA should be assigned a value and if they will not sign for close to that value then they can walk or in the case of Mo, tagged and traded.  You can't over pay.

Well there is this Jet player named Muhammad Wilkerson who is probably going to get tagged.  That's 16 million dollars that have to be accounted for. ( Right now the Jets don't have that money.( will when cut Cromartie etc) .

you can't keep signing your own free agents first before you know what you are going to do with your Key free agents first( Wilkerson, Snacks, Fitzpatrick, Powell etc) .      That what happens when you working with limited cap space.( have to make tough choices).

36 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Because you don't have to? 

I always liked Powell because of his reliability and let's be honest here, because he was affordable..  I don't know if I am the only one but what i saw last year when he came back was pretty concerning.  All of a sudden, back off a leg injury he started showing dynamic speed and a burst that was never observed in any of the rest of his four year career with the Jets?  I have zero evidence other than what my own eyes were telling me but I have to think that this new burst of speed and power, coming as it did in a contract year, is because he may have chosen a different recovery path.

I really like Bilal as a player but the guy we saw at the end of the year was a completely different guy. 

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

No you don't, but do you really want them all to make it to FA?  Do you want all you FA to talk to other teams?  I don't, I want to lock a couple of the cheaper ones before.

1. I could care less what happens to Powel, don't think he's hard to replace.  

2. I want a better replacement and we're a while before others reach FA.  So why sign a half assed Powell and then a much better alternative shakes lose? 

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

I always liked Powell because of his reliability and let's be honest here, because he was affordable..  I don't know if I am the only one but what i saw last year when he came back was pretty concerning.  All of a sudden, back off a leg injury he started showing dynamic speed and a burst that was never observed in any of the rest of his four year career with the Jets?  I have zero evidence other than what my own eyes were telling me but I have to think that this new burst of speed and power, coming as it did in a contract year, is because he may have chosen a different recovery path.

I really like Bilal as a player but the guy we saw at the end of the year was a completely different guy. 

WOW

If true, Bills DEFINITELY will court Bilal.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Bills are "planning as if LeSean McCoy will miss several games" to begin the season.

Per Rapsheet, the Bills are planning to add a running back as a contingency. This seems like a case of hope for the best, plan for the worst, as there are many indications McCoy won't even be charged in his assault case. The Bills should get an answer in that regard sometime this week. Our current expectation is that McCoy won't be suspended.

Feb 23 - 7:23 PM

Let him test FA. He's the kind of guy who might be sitting in FA this summer if he team can't find more dynamic talents at the position. Powell's not super cheap - he made $2 million last year and will get a raise in FA. 

Too bad the Jets are paying a declining, overrated CB $17MM a year.

Powell is a very good, versatile player.

11 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Too bad the Jets are paying a declining, overrated CB $17MM a year.

Powell is a very good, versatile player.

Powell is a generic RB who can catch a pass once in a while but hasn't done much in 5 years.

Somehow the Jets will survive paying a GOAT caliber player at a position as important as CB. I bet you didn't find him overrated when he was the best player on the best Pats D in almost a decade, putting them over the top for a SB run. Nice troll THO, paying Revis has nothing to do with overpaying for a RB.

Powell is a generic RB.

Somehow the Jets will survive paying a GOAT caliber player at a position as important as CB. I bet you didn't find him overrated when he was the best player on the best Pats D in almost a decade, putting them over the top for a SB run. 

1) GOAT's should be able to cover WR's 1-on-1 without any over the top help. Isn't that why the Jets are paying him $17MM per year?

2) Revis did not put the Pats over the top to win a Super Bowl. He absolutely sucked in the Ravens playoff game and he got beat by a friggn' official in the Super Bowl for a TD.

Dumbest mistake that the Jets have made since drafting Gholston #6 overall.

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

1) GOAT's should be able to cover WR's 1-on-1 without any over the top help. Isn't that why the Jets are paying him $17MM per year?

2) Revis did not put the Pats over the top to win a Super Bowl. He absolutely sucked in the Ravens playoff game and he got beat by a friggn' official in the Super Bowl for a TD.

1 - That's adorable but no. 

2 - Yes, yes he did. The season was 19 games long, a game that maybe went as you write it and a moment are nice for your narrative but Belichick would kill for a CB like Revis on that D again.

Sanchez has nothing to do with Powell either. Paying premium prices for run game players like Powell and Harrison are major mistakes the Jets hopefully will be avoiding this winter.

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

as big a mistake as stealing fake play sheets before a game ?

4 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

How did your GOAT perform against Sammy with the playoffs on the line in week 17?

Oh yea, he played 12 yards off him because he was terrified he would get beat deep.

Well worth $17MM per year.

Maybe if he was cheating he would have done better

*Pats

This is truly the guy that I see no earthly reason why we would lose him. He's great or us and won't necessarily find that success in another city. He will not go for anything completely ridiculous. If the Jets aren't going to get all caught up trying to sign Mo for JJ Watt money(and I don't think they will) then they will have plenty of money to get Powell signed and Snacks for that matter.

It's Mo that's going to turn out to be very costly for the Jets if they don't watch what they are doing. Quite frankly, I think the Jets should be done dealing with Mo and his greedy agents. Franchise tag him and be done with it. Trade him as soon as humanly possible and get all of the guys that are the future of the Jets team signed immediately. Guys like Snacks and Powell fit a very specific role and they would not be easy to replace. A DE? We have a million of those on this team and likely one of those will turn out to be just as good as Mo.

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Wouldn't mind this guy on the Pats at all.

How did Danny Woodhead work out after the Jets thought he had no talent?

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Didn't Danny help the Pats win a SB?

30 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets thought he had no talent? They were the OGs of the Woodhead bandwagon, he might not have played in the NFL at all if not for the Jets. Luckily he ended up on teams with QBs, which took defensive eyes off of him. He would have gotten slaughtered if he stuck with the Jets.

The Pats tend to be able to plug and play at RB, so a generic guy like Powell would probably do really well. It's one of the many gifts of having a QB. 

19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

This is truly the guy that I see no earthly reason why we would lose him. He's great or us and won't necessarily find that success in another city. He will not go for anything completely ridiculous. If the Jets aren't going to get all caught up trying to sign Mo for JJ Watt money(and I don't think they will) then they will have plenty of money to get Powell signed and Snacks for that matter.

It's Mo that's going to turn out to be very costly for the Jets if they don't watch what they are doing. Quite frankly, I think the Jets should be done dealing with Mo and his greedy agents. Franchise tag him and be done with it. Trade him as soon as humanly possible and get all of the guys that are the future of the Jets team signed immediately. Guys like Snacks and Powell fit a very specific role and they would not be easy to replace. A DE? We have a million of those on this team and likely one of those will turn out to be just as good as Mo.

What Jet Defense lineman other than Muhammad Wilkerson has ever posted double digit sack numbers in any season?   None of those defense lineman so far, and it's silly to say one of them is likely to turn out to be just as good as Muhammad Wilkerson.( that has yet to be seen).

Franchising tag Wilkerson isn't as easy as it sounds if the sole purpose is to trade him.    There is no guarantee the Jets are going to be able to trade him , as first there isn't going to be a big trade market for him( teams are reluctant to give up high picks, and pay his huge contract also.    Second it's very deep defense line draft this year , - that teams can get there guy at a way cheaper price.( that's working against the Jets) .    Third a trade is also depended on Muhammad Wilkerson agreeing to sign a long term contract with the trading team.( he won't and either kills the trade, or severely limits what the Jets get back. 

The Jets franchise tag him they better be prepared to keep him. 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

What Jet Defense lineman other than Muhammad Wilkerson has ever posted double digit sack numbers in any season?   None of those defense lineman so far, and it's silly to say one of them is likely to turn out to be just as good as Muhammad Wilkerson.( that has yet to be seen).

Franchising tag Wilkerson isn't as easy as it sounds if the sole purpose is to trade him.    There is no guarantee the Jets are going to be able to trade him , as first there isn't going to be a big trade market for him( teams are reluctant to give up high picks, and pay his huge contract also.    Second it's very deep defense line draft this year , - that teams can get there guy at a way cheaper price.( that's working against the Jets) .    Third a trade is also depended on Muhammad Wilkerson agreeing to sign a long term contract with the trading team.( he won't and either kills the trade, or severely limits what the Jets get back. 

The Jets franchise tag him they better be prepared to keep him. 

Sheldon Richardson had 5 sacks in only 11 games played and had 8 sacks the year prior. Leonard Williams just concluded his rookie season. Stop trying to talk about things that you don't know anything about.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

Sheldon Richardson had 5 sacks in only 11 games played and had 8 sacks the year prior. Leonard Williams just concluded his rookie season. Stop trying to talk about things that you don't know anything about.

Raider fan is a loon, but the literal answer to the question he asked is "no." 5 in 11 isn't a pace for double digits either, neither is 8 in 16.

21 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Let's see I don't know what I'm talking about .  I'm talking facts( no Current Jet defense lineman beside Wilkerson has posted double digit sacks in any season. Do I have to post their career stats to prove my statement was correct.

you're dealing in fantasy / hope that one of those players will eventually be able to do that. Big difference.   Untill they do , than tell me who doesn't know what they are talking about.

18 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Let's see I don't know what I'm talking about .  I'm talking facts( no Current Jet defense lineman beside Wilkerson has posted double digit sacks in any season. Do I have to post their career stats to prove my statement was correct.

you're dealing in fantasy / hope that one of those players will eventually be able to do that. Big difference.   Untill they do , than tell me who doesn't know what they are talking about.

YOU don't know what you're talking about. We have two blue chipper DL on the roster that are still ascending, so once again talk to someone who can't see through your BS, cause I can.

Archived