Combine thread?

Matt39

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just lame 1st impressions of the throwing at the combine, brisette looked good, goff and wentz looked good, I didn't think cook looked that good to be honest.  Allen looked pretty good.

Wr and te class stinks to high heaven.  Overall i think this is a poor draft, has some depth but has whole sets of positions that look weak.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just lame 1st impressions of the throwing at the combine, brisette looked good, goff and wentz looked good, I didn't think cook looked that good to be honest.  Allen looked pretty good.

Wr and te class stinks to high heaven.  Overall i think this is a poor draft, has some depth but has whole sets of positions that look weak.

Poor draft for sure, DL is very rich  and there are some good Cb's and OL

47 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Goff looks fantastic. Holy sh*t.

Trading up to 1 has gotta be a pipe dream, right? Tennessee holds all the leverage with Cleveland definitely taking a QB at 2. Price to get up to that is going to be insane.

Honestly it depends on what the Titans want and whether the Jets think Goff is worth that price. If so, then there might be a match.

Agree Wentz looked good, looks like him and Goff will be the first two QB's off the board

Slow times for the Wr's, a few of those guys should have stayed another year to develop

TE Nick Vannett looked good for a 3rd or 4th round pick and TE David Morgan could be a later round sleeper pick 

3 hours ago, afosomf said:

game tape to me tells me he is a career backup at best

Then you don't know how to watch tape. Many NFL scouts think he can be a solid starter.  His performance today didn't do anything to hurt that opinion. I'll stick with they think.

3 hours ago, afosomf said:

and BTW i was right on Cooper being best wr in draft.  

Reaaaaaally went out on a limb there. 

19 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Ummm Tony the wizzer had cooper in late 1st rd, i do not felate every bammer player. I have henry in 2nd rd not 1st.

Really, because in one his final posts before the 2015 draft he had Cooper going 4. Also, there were plenty of people who believed (and still do) that Kevin White was the better receiver to take in the top 5.  Hell, he might still be, considering that he is still recovering from and injury.  Consensus was you couldn't really go wrong but White was the one with massive upside but Cooper was the safer pick.

Screenshot_2016-02-27-20-35-28.png

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Really, because in one his final posts before the 2015 draft he had Cooper going 4. Also, there were plenty of people who believed (and still do) that Kevin White was the better receiver to take in the top 5.  Hell, he might still be, considering that he is still recovering from and injury.  Consensus was you couldn't really go wrong but White was the one with massive upside but Cooper was the safer pick.

Screenshot_2016-02-27-20-35-28.png

Ummm look at earlier posts, i had many arguments with this bloke.

2 minutes ago, afosomf said:

Ummm look at earlier posts, i had many arguments with this bloke.

Just now, afosomf said:

also look at his comment ( i would not draft him there) his mock had cooper in high twenties

I saw his earlier posts. That wasnt really a "mock" that had Cooper going in the twenties, that was his 2015 offensive rankings thread that discussed where he would personally take the player.  Much different than saying where you truly believe the player was going to go. I JUST posted his LAST post before that draft discussing who he expects to go top 5 and he had Cooper. 

44 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I saw his earlier posts. That wasnt really a "mock" that had Cooper going in the twenties, that was his 2015 offensive rankings thread that discussed where he would personally take the player.  Much different than saying where you truly believe the player was going to go. I JUST posted his LAST post before that draft discussing who he expects to go top 5 and he had Cooper. 

well his rankings were a tad bit off

Everyone messes up evaluations. You guys are being harsh.  Mel kiper on the first draft podcast a few weeks ago was asked if he went back to the tape on Ryan leaf to see if he could find anything wrong with him and kiper emphatically said he would make the exact same mistake on leaf today.

people should stick true to their evaluations because draft picks only pan out 50% of the time anyway.  Your as likely to be right as you are wrong.  I personally had kevin white over cooper because he high pointed the ball and fought well for it in traffic. Coopers tape was all separation and I thought those windows would close at the nfl level.  I was wrong.

11 minutes ago, Persiussa said:

Everyone messes up evaluations. You guys are being harsh.  Mel kiper on the first draft podcast a few weeks ago was asked if he went back to the tape on Ryan leaf to see if he could find anything wrong with him and kiper emphatically said he would make the exact same mistake on leaf today.

people should stick true to their evaluations because draft picks only pan out 50% of the time anyway.  Your as likely to be right as you are wrong.  I personally had kevin white over cooper because he high pointed the ball and fought well for it in traffic. Coopers tape was all separation and I thought those windows would close at the nfl level.  I was wrong.

Exactly. It's also been 1 year and White didn't play so I'd venture to say it's a bit early.  I respect someone ten times more if they truly believe something that goes against conventional wisdom and stick to their guns.  Hell of a lot more than the guy that runs back a year later screaming "I told you so" about a generally consensus view of a relatively "safe" player.

48 minutes ago, afosomf said:

well his rankings were a tad bit off

Yeah, and what if White plays next season and absolutely tears it up.  Then what?  Do I get to hound you about how you were wrong and hold it against you when discussing other prospects?

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Teach me

Select.

Watch.

Observe. 

Someone in this thread seems to struggle with doing that.  Look, I'm not screaming my head off to draft Cook, but to say his tape says "career backup" and no chance of anything more is ridiculous. 

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, and what if White plays next season and absolutely tears it up.  Then what?  Do I get to hound you about how you were wrong and hold it against you when discussing other prospects?

feel free to, white is also 2 yrs older than coop.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, JiF said:

Screw the RB's.  Next season you can chose from Fournette, McCaffery, Chubb, Cook, Gallman, Freeman, Hurd, Hood, Perine.

It could be the best RB class since god knows when.  I wouldnt be surprised to see the 4 in bold go in the 1st round alone.  

Procise in round 4 - he will be there

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

"WHO scouts like Tony" if your gonna pick a quote to ridicule, don't cherry pick it. If that's your goal than stick to your usual lurking. 

I don't always agree with Tony but he is dedicated to what he does. Website, twitter, and is better connected to teams than most on this forum. 

You know who else has a website, Twitter, and is better connected to teams than most on this forum? Turtle. CBNY can barely spell scout.

Day 2 NFL Combine winners and losers

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks is spotlighting the prospects who make a mark -- for better or worse -- at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. On Saturday, the quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends took the field. Here are Brooks' impressions from Indianapolis:

RELATED: Bucky Brooks' winners and losers in Friday's workout (offensive linemen and running backs).

Winners

Jared Goff, Cal, QB: The polished pocket passer put on a strong showing to cement his status as the top quarterback in the 2016 class. Goff showed exceptional footwork and mechanics making throws in passing drills. Most importantly, he consistently put the ball within the strike zone while flashing the ability to change ball speeds and trajectory on his throws. Given the importance coaches and scouts place on accuracy and ball placement, Goff's impressive exhibition, in my estimation, makes him the front-runner at the position heading into the pro-day circuit.

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame: The speedster is squarely in the conversation as a first-round pick after displaying better-than-anticipated hands and ball skills in drills. Fuller's pass-catching skills were questioned by scouts heading into the combine, but he answered those concerns with his solid performance on the turf. With Fuller displaying extraordinary explosiveness and athleticism (4.32-second 40, 33.5-inch vertical, and 10-6 broad jump), his stock is on the rise.

Josh Doctson, WR, TCU: The ultra-productive pass-catcher has all of the tools to be a WR1 at the next level, but questions surrounding his speed and explosiveness have prevented scouts from going all-in on his potential. After clocking a 4.50 40 on Saturday and showing better quickness than anticipated, Doctson has to be in consideration as the top wideout in this class. He is the best ball-adjuster in the draft, and his sticky hands stood out in drills. Doctson exhibited natural pass-catching skills and keen awareness.

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss:Treadwell made a strong case for the top spot at the position with a stellar performance on the turf. Although he didn't run a 40, he impressed scouts with his spectacular ball skills and strong hands. Treadwell snags the ball effortlessly with his 9 7/8-inch hands, exhibiting exceptional hand-eye coordination and tracking ability. He easily adjusted to balls thrown slightly off the mark, particularly deep throws along the boundary, which is a critical part of expanding the strike zone for the quarterback. With Treadwell also showing outstanding footwork, balance, and body control as a precise route-runner, he's a polished WR1 capable of making an impact from Day 1 in the NFL.

Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State: The search for a viable option after the first two quarterbacks (Goff and Carson Wentz) makes Prescott an intriguing candidate. He was one of the top performers in passing drills, exhibiting outstanding accuracy, timing, and touch. He consistently put the ball on the mark on intermediate throws and showed a deft touch on vertical passes along the boundary. He also showed impressive footwork, balance, and body control when he dropped back, which shows growth after spending his entire college career operating from the shotgun. Considering Prescott's rock-solid intangibles and his impressive leadership skills, it's quite possible several teams could consider him a worthy candidate early on Day 2.

NFL Scouting Combine
0ap3000000639297.jpg

Dates: Feb. 23-29
TV: NFL Network and NFL Combine Live

Combine coverage:

Photos:

Losers

Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State: The Spartans' star quarterback had an opportunity to make a move up the charts with a strong showing on Saturday but blew his chances for a surge up the board when he struggled with ball placement and accuracy in drills. Cook repeatedly missed receivers on routes with high and outside throws that landed well outside of the strike zone. While teams will certainly take Cook's injury into account, the fact that he continued to struggle with his ball placement confirms the questions about his accuracy based on his low completion percentage.

Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State: Jones suffered a strained hamstring while running the 40, which prevented him from showcasing his skills on the NFL's biggest pre-draft stage. He was expected to wow evaluators with his extraordinary arm strength, but the injury left him unable to perform passing drills. With his arm talent considered his most impressive trait, the freakish injury cost him a chance to move up draft boards at the end of the weekend.

Sunday preview

Defensive linemen get their chance to impress evaluators on the turf at Lucas Oil Stadium. Scouts are eagerly anticipating DT position drills. Many teams believe there are at least 10 interior defenders worthy of first-round grades. The players will have a chance to cement their status in front of a large contingent of personnel men. Alabama's A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed will certainly garner attention as potential run-stoppers, but scouts will also pay close attention to Louisville's Sheldon Rankins, Louisiana Tech's Vernon Butler and UCLA's Kenny Clark to see if they are worthy of top status.

At defensive end, Ohio State's Joey Bosa, Oregon's DeForest Buckner, Clemson's Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd will command attention as explosive pass rushers. Eastern Kentucky's Noah Spence will also attract interest from scouts looking for dynamic sack artists off the edge. Given the Denver Broncos' success on the strength of their pass rush, scouts will cast their eyes to the defensive line to find the next generation of difference-makers.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

40 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I thought you stopped talking about the draft because being wrong all the time was starting to get expensive.

It actually used to be really fun. It was a small community of nerds who were passionate about it but didn't take it too serious. I enjoyed it. It's dissolved into sh*t like everything else that gets too popular. btw, I won diamond earrings from that animal shelter I donated to!

Archived