Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You explain it by saying so what.  No one puts all their eggs in a stupid, flawed QR score only.  

Your wearing out kneepads after kneepads in your love fest over Geno certainly have made everyone here perfectly aware that "so what" is your call sign in understanding talent & performance

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You explain it by saying so what.  No one puts all their eggs in a stupid, flawed QR score only.  

Standard procedure in the NFL. There is a starter and the backup. And no Qb controversy or a competition.  Geno is next man up. He plays if Fitz gets injured except last year when he did get injured the coaching staff preferred Fitz with a broken wrist over Geno. Smart decision. 

17 minutes ago, ljr said:

Your wearing out kneepads after kneepads in your love fest over Geno certainly have made everyone here perfectly aware that "so what" is your call sign in understanding talent & performance

Love fest?  I don't give a damn who the QB, ranking him off of QR rating only is useless  

Just because you're clueless and keep saying the same shlt over and over again about Geno doesn't make you smart.  But mostly your idea that anyone who even hints at giving Geno a chance is proof that they don't understand talent and performance makes you a first class idiot.  

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Standard procedure in the NFL. There is a starter and the backup. Geno is next man up. He plays if Fitz gets injured except last year when he did get injured the coaching staff preferred Fitz with a broken wrist over Geno. Smart decision. 

What does any of this have to do with someone bringing up his QB rating? 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Love fest?  I don't give a damn who the QB, ranking him off of QR rating only is useless  

Just because you're clueless and keep saying the same shlt over and over again about Geno doesn't make you smart.  But mostly your idea that anyone who even hints at giving Geno a chance is proof that they don't understand talent and performance makes you a first class idiot.  

If Geno had any kind of numbers you'd be saying it was proof that the Jets should start him. Even with this salary dispute the Jets want Fitz back as the starter. There wouldn't even be a dispute if the guy wasn't good. If he was as bad as you guys say he'd be getting nothing. 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What does any of this have to do with someone bringing up his QB rating? 

What's wrong with that. It's an indicator of a Qbs success. Hey, without stats just by watching all of the games in my opinion he was a good Qb. Ran the offense well and shouldn't be replaced. There is no logical reason for it. You don't have a Qb competition if your incumbent had a good year. Geno is the backup. He will get chances to play in his career and it's up to him to play well. Fitz was banished to being a backup and taking backup money and worked his way back to being a starter. He earned the job. There are very very few Jets fans who want Geno over Fitz in 2016.

2 hours ago, ljr said:

Fitz's rating for all of his numbers with us last year was 88.

how do you explain his 12 games for Houston in 2014 having a rating of 95 in your aberration/anomaly logic ?

I'm sure that number is a bit inflated because of the small sample and the stat padding from the 6 TD game against Tennessee, but I agree that fitz played better in Houston than for the jets last season. having a pass catching back like arian foster to go along with hopkins/andre is very helpful for a QB like fitz. I think that's what the jets are thinking with bringing forte into the mix 

9 hours ago, ljr said:

Fitz's rating for all of his numbers with us last year was 88.

how do you explain his 12 games for Houston in 2014 having a rating of 95 in your aberration/anomaly logic ?

I don't know, maybe it's the fact he had never won more than 6 games in a season? Or the fact he set career highs for TDs, yards n wins? Or are you actually saying his 17 TD and 2400+ yard season with 6 wins against all world beaters like the Deadskins, Raiders, Bills, Titans x 2, n Jags qualifies as some kind of a personal milestone? 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Standard procedure in the NFL. There is a starter and the backup. And no Qb controversy or a competition.  Geno is next man up. He plays if Fitz gets injured except last year when he did get injured the coaching staff preferred Fitz with a broken wrist over Geno. Smart decision. 

Lol @ smart decision. Because we were merely inches away from lifting that Lombardi trophy, right? Bowles is a very stubborn HC, very similar to Rex. Rex did not want to make a QB change when Sanchez was sucking terribly in his 4th year. Most HCs make a change at QB at 5-5 after your FHoF QB just got it handed to him by Rex n then TJ Yates. Kudos to Bowles for sticking with Fitz n it nearly paid off. Nearly. Which means it didn't pay off. 

And sticking with Fitz after he just had his left arm amputated (or so it seems) isn't a big statement. We were 4-2 at that point n Geno literally had to throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs to win his job back cuz our D was in a shock Fitz had a near-death injury. Piece of cake right? 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Geno had any kind of numbers you'd be saying it was proof that the Jets should start him. Even with this salary dispute the Jets want Fitz back as the starter. There wouldn't even be a dispute if the guy wasn't good. If he was as bad as you guys say he'd be getting nothing. 

Fitz is getting nothing from 31 other teams. As it stands, he's getting nothing from the Jets either. I wonder why Jets FO hasn't offered him the 12mil a year deal he wants? After all, he is a future HoFer after he wins the next 6 SBs in a row. 

We are now past the three-month mark of the contract standoff between theJets and free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. And there is no end in sight, even with the Jets' three-day mandatory minicamp set to begin Tuesday (though it's obviously not mandatory for Fitzpatrick, because he isn't under contract with the organization). 

Here is the latest (sort of) from NFL Media's Ian Rapoport : 

Update on the #Jets situation with Ryan Fitzpatrick: Nothing. … Just nothing. Doesn't seem like things will change heading into minicamp.

The Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a three-year contract worth $24 million. It includes $12 million in the first year, and $15 million in total guaranteed pay. The offer's much lower value in the final two years is apparently a sticking point for Fitzpatrick. After minicamp, the Jets don't practice again until training camp opens in late July. Because Fitzpatrick is a veteran who knows coordinator Chan Gailey's offense, it was never going to be a big deal if Fitzpatrick missed all of the Jets' spring practices. And, to no surprise, it looks like that will indeed happen. 

>         http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/dont_expect_jets-ryan_fitzpatrick_resolution_soon.html#incart_river_index

5 hours ago, j4jets said:

I don't know, maybe it's the fact he had never won more than 6 games in a season? Or the fact he set career highs for TDs, yards n wins? Or are you actually saying his 17 TD and 2400+ yard season with 6 wins against all world beaters like the Deadskins, Raiders, Bills, Titans x 2, n Jags qualifies as some kind of a personal milestone? 

The numbers are certainly a large enough sample size for 2014 to compare reasonably respectable with 2015's results ... Sorry that it made a joke out of your attempt at a point.

arent you also one of those jokers trying to give Geno credit for his performance vs the Raiders last year??? ... You do realize that you can't do that in one hand ... While holding Fitz's 2014 feet to the fire regarding teams wins/losses don't you?

I am starting to get concerned that the FO is risking having the players lose confidence in them.  I know that's a big charge, but the point is not limited to whether the playesr think Fitzpatrick is entitled to a big check.  It's the way the FO has handled this, which (I hate to say not being a Smith Fan) is not even particularly fair to Smith.  The way they have played it, seeming to not only want RF back but having no real plan B if he's not while at the same time not being able to sign him, and then looking at the situation with Wilkerson, I expect the players see the FO as not only cheap but not effective, either.  It's the combo of the two.

It is a concern.

2 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I am starting to get concerned that the FO is risking having the players lose confidence in them.  I know that's a big charge, but the point is not limited to whether the playesr think Fitzpatrick is entitled to a big check.  It's the way the FO has handled this, which (I hate to say not being a Smith Fan) is not even particularly fair to Smith.  The way they have played it, seeming to not only want RF back but having no real plan B if he's not while at the same time not being able to sign him, and then looking at the situation with Wilkerson, I expect the players see the FO as not only cheap but not effective, either.  It's the combo of the two.

It is a concern.

Actually they've played it perfectly to anyone without a favorite horse in the race.  They've been clear from day 1 they would like to have Fitz back but at a price.  He thinks he's worth more.  No one other than his family and agent agree.  Macc is holding firm.  As he should.  No one cares, its a business and players are well aware of that.  At his price they'll go into the season with Smith.  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Actually they've played it perfectly to anyone without a favorite horse in the race.  They've been clear from day 1 they would like to have Fitz back but at a price.  He thinks he's worth more.  No one other than his family and agent agree.  Macc is holding firm.  As he should.  No one cares, its a business and players are well aware of that.  At his price they'll go into the season with Smith.  

I have to disagree.  When I was in the business of making job offers I never made one until I knew it would be accepted.  Leaving it on the table is weakness.  This isn't about value as much as structure.  The jets want fitz to commit to back up money after what would essentially be 2 years as the starter.  If they are so sure his skills won't warrant starting money after this year, do a 1 year deal. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't expect Jets-Ryan Fitzpatrick resolution soon, per report

At this point, I don't expect any resolution.  It's very possible he will not be signed at all.

What happens, happens.  No point hand-wringing it either way, Macc will do what he thinks best.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I have to disagree.  When I was in the business of making job offers I never made one until I knew it would be accepted.  Leaving it on the table is weakness.  This isn't about value as much as structure.  The jets want fitz to commit to back up money after what would essentially be 2 years as the starter.  If they are so sure his skills won't warrant starting money after this year, do a 1 year deal. 

Some fans think he's being offered backup money.  The Jets dont.  Everyone on NFLN doesnt.  Everyone on SNY doesnt.  Theyre offering what they think he's worth.  They'll do a one year deal but not at 12 mil, they want to be able to defer the money over more time.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wanting him back is stupid, he sucks. Bringing him back puts an immensely talented QB on the bench, nobody in their right mind would do that.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Some fans think he's being offered backup money.  The Jets dont.  Everyone on NFLN doesnt.  Everyone on SNY doesnt.  Theyre offering what they think he's worth.  They'll do a one year deal but not at 12 mil, they want to be able to defer the money over more time.

we don't know what the incentives are, but since fitz is still unsigned I have to say they are likely BS, and every report I have seen reports the first year is very different than years 2 and 3.

I haven't seen any report that they will do a 1 year deal.

The jets need to determine if fitz is their starter or not.  They seem lost and confused right now, putting together a BS offer out there.  Either pay him like a starter or move on.

show some effin balls

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

we don't know what the incentives are, but since fitz is still unsigned I have to say they are likely BS, and every report I have seen reports the first year is very different than years 2 and 3.

The jets need to determine if fitz is their starter or not.  They seem lost and confused right now, putting together a BS offer out there.  Either pay him like a starter or move on.

show some effin balls

I agree here.  At first it looked like the FO had time on their side.  I don't think so anymore.  Now they look like they can't get done what they clearly want to do.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

show some effin balls

They don't think they gave him a BS offer.  Neither does anyone else.  They offered him 12mil to start in year 1 and don't want to commit more past year 1.  Don't see any confusion to the offer or what they want to do.  

The only people confused are the fans who think Fitz is our starter for 2 or more years. 

It's unusual that an incumbent starter holds out like this but it's not unprecedented. Phil Simms one year held out until after the first exhibition game. I don't think it's a wise move by Mac over a couple of million bucks. But he seems to have the backing of the owner. There are 4 situations with QB signings in this off season that have been strange. First the Osweiler signing giving a guy with only 7 starts legit starter money which is like 16 mil per season. But since then it's gone in the opposite direction with Fitz, the low ball Hoyer signing (you'd think he'd get more) and the impasse with Tyrod Taylor. So I'm starting to think that Woody is more involved in this than people give him credit for. Or Mac has full confidence that the owner will back him up if things go south. It's an unusual position for a 2nd year GM to put himself in. Esp after his predecessor got fired after a firestorm that occured in only his 2nd season. And believe me Idzik's plan to not spend the whole cap in 2014 had the support of Woody. It would have had to because the GM reports directly to the owner. 

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They don't think they gave him a BS offer.  Neither does anyone else.  They offered him 12mil to start in year 1 and don't want to commit more past year 1.  Don't see any confusion to the offer or what they want to do.  

The only people confused are the fans who think Fitz is our starter for 2 or more years. 

you listen to too much talk radio, lol

Just now, Larz said:

you listen to too much talk radio, lol

Well the question is would Fitz accept a one year deal under 12 mil. If so would the Jets be willing to not tie him up for years 2 and 3. If the Jets won't budge from this it means they want him locked in for 2017 and 2018 at a backup salary. Which would restrict his ability to negotiate with other teams if he plays well and can get a starter job at starter money. btw not all of the media supports the Jets on this. I don't know about the guys on NFLN. I think it's pretty much down the middle. And a number think that the structuring of the deal is unfair to the player.

7 hours ago, ljr said:

The numbers are certainly a large enough sample size for 2014 to compare reasonably respectable with 2015's results ... Sorry that it made a joke out of your attempt at a point.

arent you also one of those jokers trying to give Geno credit for his performance vs the Raiders last year??? ... You do realize that you can't do that in one hand ... While holding Fitz's 2014 feet to the fire regarding teams wins/losses don't you?

Firstly, Fitz 2014 wasn't nearly as good as his 2015 season statistically, save for the QB rating that was highly inflated against that year's worst team in the NFL (6 TDs vs Titans). 

Secondly, if Fitz was really better in 2014 than 2015, Texans would not have benched him. 

Third, you need to watch the Raiders game to get a clue. Actually, don't do that. Just watch both QBs last NFL start n see how they played n then tell me who the real joker is. 

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree here.  At first it looked like the FO had time on their side.  I don't think so anymore.  Now they look like they can't get done what they clearly want to do.

Fitz already knows this playbook.  He could probably coach it.  Jets can sign him in Mid-August and he'd be ready to go week 1

It's up to him if he wants another $20 mil

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Mac has made extremely reasonable offers.  

33 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Mac has made extremely reasonable offers.  

Then what's your explanation for years 2 and 3 other than to be an insurance policy for Mac and Woody. I don't remember ever seeing a contract structured this way for an incumbent starter. It locks him into a deal he doesn't like. I also don't think other players consider this a fair market contract. The guy has offered to play on a one year deal for low starter money. But I imagine he will take the average or 8 if he's pushed that far. Not smart when you're trying to build off of momentum. And keep a great attitude among players from the previous year. It's small ball kind of thinking.

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Then what's your explanation for years 2 and 3 other than to be an insurance policy for Mac and Woody. I don't remember ever seeing a contract structured this way for an incumbent starter. It locks him into a deal he doesn't like. I also don't think other players consider this a fair market contract. The guy has offered to play on a one year deal for very low starter money. But I imagine he will take the average or 8 if he's pushed that far. Not smart when you're trying to build off of momentum. And keep a great attitude among players from the previous year. It's small ball kind of thinking.

Fitz was waiver wire fodder up to last September and he has gotten very generous offers from the jets.  It's not our fault Bradford got an asinine contract.

if you look at fitz history he has been up and down a bunch of times.  even gailey demoted him just to have fitz come and  rescue him

Despite the strong showing, new head coach Chan Gailey decided to go with Trent Edwards as the starter for the 2010 season, relegating Fitzpatrick to the backup role. On September 20, 2010, Fitzpatrick was named the new starting quarterback following the Bills 0–2 start.[13]

On March 18, 2013, Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Tennessee Titans.[17] He replaced Jake Locker for the Titans in Week 4 due to an injury in the third quarter. Fitzpatrick completed 3 of his 8 passes for 108 yards, which included a 77-yard TD pass to Nate Washington, in a 38–13 win against the Jets.

On March 18, 2014, Fitzpatrick signed a two-year contract with the Houston Texans.[19] He was named the Texans' starting quarterback by new Head Coach Bill O'Brien on June 17,[20] but was demoted to second on the Houston Texans depth chart on November 5, 2014, replaced as starter by Ryan Mallett.

On November 23, 2014 Mallett tore his pectoral muscle and Fitzpatrick was renamed the starter.[21] On November 30, 2014 in a 45–21 win against the Tennessee Titans, Fitzpatrick threw for a franchise-record six touchdowns and 358 yards with no interceptions and a 147.5 passer rating.[22]

is it a surprise the dude wants stability and commitment ? 

So maybe a 2 year deal seems like a solution ?

16 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz was waiver wire fodder up to last September and he has gotten very generous offers from the jets.  It's not our fault Bradford got an asinine contract.

We're not talking last Sept. Fitz worked off of a backup contract and he started all of the games and outplayed the contract by a lot. Mac is offering him a low ball deal with two years tacked on and the only reason for this: to save his and Woody's asses if Hack can't start. It's not the way you deal with someone you want to be your starting Qb and the leader of your team . It's stupid as a matter of fact.

I think the Jets FO would love to offer Fitz $12MM for a one year deal. Unfortunately, they don't have the money to do that.

The reason the 3 year deal is on the table is to allow the Jets to spread the money out over a 3-year period.

Sure, the Jets could easily restructure some contracts to free up $12MM for Fitz this year, but that would require back loading those restructured contracts.

It's pretty damn obvious that Mac wants no part of backloaded contracts.

Archived