Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

On June 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, joewilly12 said:

Actually its sad and pathetic that the Jets are the only team in the NFL with any interest if they still have any at all. 

Great news that the Jeys are only ones in market for Fitz.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the guys clamoring for Geno are essentially looking for an argument that doesn't exist. I've not seen anyone seriously saying we should cave to Fitz's demands or that he's the long term solution at QB - Yet these are constantly thrown out and ridiculed by people on this forum, it's hilarious.

I want a deal to be made and 100% believe it will. The only doubts I had were removed once Fitz said he's definitely playing next year. Now that we've seen what both sides are looking for it's pretty easy to see the middle ground where they'll eventually agree.

People who like Fitz see him as by far the best option at QB and a guy who gives us a chance at being competitive. I enjoyed last season after the f*ckery that came before and would very much like to see a competitive Jets team again. 

If it is Geno, and I'm not even sure he'll be on the team, then I'll hope he's made strides and that he can be a different player with a better offence around him. I have nothing against the guy but I just find it difficult to believe he'll ever put it together, would love to be wrong. 

18 hours ago, Larz said:

and the jets entire market for starting QB's is fitz

hence the hold like standoff thingy

think of it this way, if fitz starts this year, that would be back to back starting seasons.  why commit yourself to back up money for 2 years after that ?

If he has a decent year, 2017 starting QB money will be about $18 on average.  why would you lock in at $6  ? 

why assume you will have to step aside for geno or petty of hack ?

the jet shave to decide if they want fitz to start or not.  planning on having him start then contractually agreeing to step aside is assinine

The contract is not locked in at 6 mil. It has incentives to 12 mil per. If you think you're good enough to keep the prospects on the bench then you're sure you're getting that starter money. 

What Fitz wants is as much as he can get. He's not blinking until he has to. That's just smart business no matter what the guys on JN think. I'm sure it's tearing him up to know that he's making the bloggers anxious but he'll get over it. 

He'll either take 8mil for 1 year or the 3 year deal but starting here this year is the smart career move...and he's been down all the wrong paths enough to know it. 

39 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The contract is not locked in at 6 mil. It has incentives to 12 mil per. If you think you're good enough to keep the prospects on the bench then you're sure you're getting that starter money. 

What Fitz wants is as much as he can get. He's not blinking until he has to. That's just smart business no matter what the guys on JN think. I'm sure it's tearing him up to know that he's making the bloggers anxious but he'll get over it. 

He'll either take 8mil for 1 year or the 3 year deal but starting here this year is the smart career move...and he's been down all the wrong paths enough to know it. 

The Jets aren't offering this mysterious one year deal. Fitzpatrick isn't worth it to them on the basis of his QB abilities alone. His value is in stabilizing the backup position, and mentoring Hackenberg and/or Petty for a couple or few years. Jets haven't budged in months, and there's really no reason for them to. And Fitzpatrick is foolish to be leaving $15M guaranteed on the table for so long. He's lucky the Jets haven't lowered it, or pulled it altogether. 

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Players don't take poor base deals that depend on incentives. Incentives are just sweeteners and we don't know if these ones are easy to attain or hard to get. It's out of the players control. Like everyone else players want some security and the ability to compete for their true market level. If the Jets commit themselves to Hack in 2017 then he is locked into a backup role. So he's not stupid if he turns down 15 mil guaranteed. If he plays well and is a starter somewhere in 2016-18 he makes a lot more money. It's called believing in yourself. 

With the start of training camp less than two months away, it would be easy for the New York Jets to give in to Ryan Fitzpatrick. But instead, they're holding their ground.

The Jets and Fitzpatrick are still mired in a multi-month standstill, with neither side willing to budge. Ever since the start of free agency in March, the Jets have reportedly had a standing three-year, $24 million offer to the veteran quarterback. The deal would pay Fitzpatrick $12 million in year one and $6 million over each of the following two seasons. Newsday reports the contract comes with $15 million guaranteed and could be worth as much as $36 million with incentives.Fitzpatrick's issue probably isn't with his proposed $12 million salary for 2016, which would place him 21st in the league among quarterbacks according to Spotrac -- right between Russell Wilson andAndy Dalton. His problem appears to be with years two and three, in which he'll be paid like a backup quarterback.

And that's exactly how he should be viewed at this stage in his career.

There's no denying the impact Fitzpatrick, 33, had on the Jets last year. He was named the starting quarterback after little-known linebacker IK Enemkpali broke Geno Smith's jaw in a locker room altercation, and the Jets quickly rallied around Fitzpatrick in his first season with the team. The Jets started off the season with two straight wins, which led to head coach Todd Bowles declaring Fitzpatrick would be the starting quarterback for the rest of the year.

His counting stats were impressive in 2015, too, as he threw for a career-high 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns. The Jets narrowly missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record.But those numbers are an anomaly. Nothing about his career stats suggests that he'll join the ranks of Tom Brady and Drew Brees, quarterbacks who somehow defy the odds and put up huge numbers even after they've reached their mid-30s.Fitzpatrick's career QB rating is 80.8, which would've placed him dead last among all 26 quarterbacks who attempted 350 or more passes last season (Fitzpatrick's 88 rating, the second-highest of his career, was 23rd). It's fair to expect Fitzpatrick to regress as soon as next season.

The 11-year veteran has also been a turnover machine throughout his career, which is probably why he's played for six teams. Since 2008, Fitzpatrick has averaged 14 interceptions and 417 pass attempts per season, which averages to about one pick per 30 throws -- or in other words, roughly one per game.One of the biggest reasons why the New England Patriots have sustained their run of dominance over the last 15 years has been Bill Belichick's steadfast refusal to give into players. The Jets are taking a page out of his playbook here, and there's no reason for them to budge. They are, after all, believed to be the only team bidding for Fitzpatrick's services.

It would be underwhelming for the Jets to start their season with Smith as their starting quarterback and with Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg backing him up. But it would be debilitating for New York to take a lofty cap charge for Fitzpatrick this season -- as he's reportedly suggested a one-year, $12 million counteroffer -- or pay him like a starter for each of the next three years. A happy medium is paying Fitzpatrick starter money for 2016 but being able to spread that cap hit out. Considering the Jets have only roughly $3.5 million in cap space, it's the only way they can do it.Over the last decade, the Jets have addressed their quarterback vacancies through panic instead of prudence. All of those moves, from bringing aboard Brett Favre in 2008 to re-signing Mark Sanchez for three years, have blown up in their face.

For once, the Jets are taking the disciplined approach -- and it's the smart move.

>      http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/6/10/11890050/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-free-agent-negotiations?yptr=yahoo

This is a stupid move by the Jets. If we had momentum coming off of a 10-6 then it doesn't do anything to help things with the players (who kind of think the Jets can win this year with the components and Qb from 2015). If they plan to finally sign the guy it just puts things on hold and adds confusion. This is the time they could be adding onto their starting offense. And who knows how many more years they'll have Marshall (he's 32) and our other playmakers.  But if they think that it's a rebuilding year then they might as well start Geno he's a lot cheaper. I mean when did a starting Qb not sign for this amount of months after the season ended. It is the one position teams don't mess around with. So I disagree with the above article. And it's from a mediocre source, SB Nation. If they want to save money and not commit themselves to Fitz just give him a one year deal. The reason they refuse to is to cover Mac and Woody's ass if things go south with Hack. They already know that Fitz can run this offense and pretty well, too. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets aren't offering this mysterious one year deal. Fitzpatrick isn't worth it to them on the basis of his QB abilities alone. His value is in stabilizing the backup position, and mentoring Hackenberg and/or Petty for a couple or few years. Jets haven't budged in months, and there's really no reason for them to. And Fitzpatrick is foolish to be leaving $15M guaranteed on the table for so long. He's lucky the Jets haven't lowered it, or pulled it altogether. 

Not to point my finger at you, but where did this idea originate from, that Fitz would make a great (or even an acceptable) mentor to the player whose job he wants? This isn't like a 38 year old Hasselbeck situation. Fitz still wants the starting job for himself. I'm not faulting him for wanting it; just that it isn't exactly a mentor type role.

But yeah, where did this idea come from where there's a 1 year $8M offer from the Jets? The Jets' offer - and lack of such a follow-up 1 yr deal - suggests they only have interest in him if they can lock him up long term. That they're not interested in signing a QB for 1 yr so they can be right back in this same spot a year from now. If Fitz wants a show-me deal so he's not locked in for $8Mx3, then let him take less than $8M for 1 to show up the team.

I loved the leak of how he was willing to cave in to a 1 yr $12M deal. "Okay, okay, I'll compromise by taking the 1st year frontload and bonus, so long as we can delete the lower-cost backload. Deal?" Lol. So basically he's compromised into a deal that is no different to a 3 yr deal at $12M-$18M-$18M with a team option to get out any time after year 1. How generous.

4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Players don't take poor base deals that depend on incentives. Incentives are just sweeteners and we don't know if these ones are easy to attain or hard to get. It's out of the players control. Like everyone else players want some security and the ability to compete for their true market level. If the Jets commit themselves to Hack in 2017 then he is locked into a backup role. So he's not stupid if he turns down 15 mil guaranteed. If he plays well and is a starter somewhere in 2016-18 he makes a lot more money. It's called believing in yourself. 

I know you want to be right but he's done this 5 times with 5 teams and it never worked out the way he wanted until this team. I don't know how old you are but at a certain point you have to realize that making emotional decisions is a bad idea.  

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Fitzpatrick's issue probably isn't with his proposed $12 million salary for 2016, which would place him 21st in the league among quarterbacks according to Spotrac -- right between Russell Wilson andAndy Dalton. His problem appears to be with years two and three, in which he'll be paid like a backup quarterback.

Can't ever have a spin free article. 

Sure 12 mil would be 21st, but 8 mil would only drop him to 23rd. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not to point my finger at you, but where did this idea originate from, that Fitz would make a great (or even an acceptable) mentor to the player whose job he wants? This isn't like a 38 year old Hasselbeck situation. Fitz still wants the starting job for himself. I'm not faulting him for wanting it; just that it isn't exactly a mentor type role.

But yeah, where did this idea come from where there's a 1 year $8M offer from the Jets? The Jets' offer - and lack of such a follow-up 1 yr deal - suggests they only have interest in him if they can lock him up long term. That they're not interested in signing a QB for 1 yr so they can be right back in this same spot a year from now. If Fitz wants a show-me deal so he's not locked in for $8Mx3, then let him take less than $8M for 1 to show up the team.

I loved the leak of how he was willing to cave in to a 1 yr $12M deal. "Okay, okay, I'll compromise by taking the 1st year frontload and bonus, so long as we can delete the lower-cost backload. Deal?" Lol. So basically he's compromised into a deal that is no different to a 3 yr deal at $12M-$18M-$18M with a team option to get out any time after year 1. How generous.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/26/bryce-petty-takes-cues-from-fitzpatrick-while-at-the-ready-to-replace-him/

The education of Bryce Petty has been a slow, steady process. Where exactly it leads and when we get to see the Jets’ fourth-round draft pick quarterback out of Baylor, fans are fascinated to find out.

The way this Jets season is trending entering Sunday’s game against the Dolphins at MetLife Stadium (four losses in the past five games), we could see Petty under center faster than anyone imagined.

The faster the Jets fade from relevancy in the AFC wild-card chase, the sooner we might see Petty play.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

ut, for all of the curiosity that exists about how good the kid might be, his presence in a game represents a worst-case scenario, because it would mean either starter Ryan Fitzpatrick is injured or the Jets have been eliminated from playoff contention.

By several accounts — that of Fitzpatrick, who has become the best veteran mentor Petty could have asked for, and of Petty himself — the rookie has made significant progress as this season has played on despite not having played in a game yet.

The Jets’ plan for Petty has been to take it slowly and let him learn without being force-fed, which is a sound plan considering how raw his skills are — having played in a one-read spread offense in college and not having been exposed to reading defenses.

“It’s a nice luxury to be able to sit back and learn, but at some point you’ve also got to be thrown in there,’’ Fitzpatrick told The Post. “Unfortunately for a lot of young guys, they’ve been thrown in there before they’re ready, and that either kills confidence or hurts their careers.

“Bryce is a guy that kind of understands his role, but he’s not satisfied with it. He wants to be out there playing, as a competitor. But he also understands that there’s a lot that he needs to learn. He’s been doing a good job of that, and the last four practices are probably the best he’s thrown the ball since he’s been here.’’

Petty recalled the Jets’ loss to the Raiders last month as a turning point for him, because when Fitzpatrick went down in that game with a left thumb injury and his status was in question the following week, Petty suddenly became the “next man’’ in the next-man-up scenario.

“I was like, ‘Holy [cow], I might have to play,’ ’’ Petty told The Post. “I’d been serious about my preparation before that, but that got me more focused.’’

Petty’s daily internal battle is balancing his burning desire to play and contribute with understanding his role and making the most out of it.

“It’s about understanding your role, but then understanding, too, that you can get something out of everything that you do,’’ he said. “Some guys take that quote-unquote red-shirt year and just do whatever with it. But for me, I try to get something out of what I’m doing. And the last couple of weeks it’s been even more so.’’

It hurts Petty not to play, but he has the confidence that his time will come and when it does, he can be the Jets’ future quarterback.

“The toughest thing about being a backup quarterback is the fact that there is no sense of contributing to the team — wins, losses, tough losses, tough wins,’’ he said. “Those moments that — as you look around the locker room after a game you see everybody celebrating a win or hurting because they lost — there’s a part of that that you don’t get because there was nothing that you did to contribute to the win or trying to help in a loss.

“That’s the tough part about where I’m at, because you can’t do anything about it.’’

What Petty can do — and does on a daily basis — is take full advantage of Fitzpatrick’s knowledge.

Though Fitzpatrick’s focus is on beating the Dolphins and keeping the Jets’ playoff hopes alive, even he acknowledges his curiosity to see what Petty has when he gets his chance to play.

“I am extremely invested in Bryce’s career,’’ Fitzpatrick said.

“With [Fitzpatrick] watching film with me and us getting together on Tuesdays and game-planning together, I can tell you that I would feel confident playing right now,’’ Petty said. “There are so many guys that are not like that — guys who maybe had to learn on their own, so they just feel like everyone should learn it on their own, too.

“Fitz isn’t like that. It’s a pay-it-forward kind of deal. Hopefully, if I have the career that he’s had, I can do that for somebody else.’’

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://nypost.com/2015/11/26/bryce-petty-takes-cues-from-fitzpatrick-while-at-the-ready-to-replace-him/

The education of Bryce Petty has been a slow, steady process. Where exactly it leads and when we get to see the Jets’ fourth-round draft pick quarterback out of Baylor, fans are fascinated to find out.

The way this Jets season is trending entering Sunday’s game against the Dolphins at MetLife Stadium (four losses in the past five games), we could see Petty under center faster than anyone imagined.

The faster the Jets fade from relevancy in the AFC wild-card chase, the sooner we might see Petty play.

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

ut, for all of the curiosity that exists about how good the kid might be, his presence in a game represents a worst-case scenario, because it would mean either starter Ryan Fitzpatrick is injured or the Jets have been eliminated from playoff contention.

By several accounts — that of Fitzpatrick, who has become the best veteran mentor Petty could have asked for, and of Petty himself — the rookie has made significant progress as this season has played on despite not having played in a game yet.

The Jets’ plan for Petty has been to take it slowly and let him learn without being force-fed, which is a sound plan considering how raw his skills are — having played in a one-read spread offense in college and not having been exposed to reading defenses.

“It’s a nice luxury to be able to sit back and learn, but at some point you’ve also got to be thrown in there,’’ Fitzpatrick told The Post. “Unfortunately for a lot of young guys, they’ve been thrown in there before they’re ready, and that either kills confidence or hurts their careers.

“Bryce is a guy that kind of understands his role, but he’s not satisfied with it. He wants to be out there playing, as a competitor. But he also understands that there’s a lot that he needs to learn. He’s been doing a good job of that, and the last four practices are probably the best he’s thrown the ball since he’s been here.’’

Petty recalled the Jets’ loss to the Raiders last month as a turning point for him, because when Fitzpatrick went down in that game with a left thumb injury and his status was in question the following week, Petty suddenly became the “next man’’ in the next-man-up scenario.

“I was like, ‘Holy [cow], I might have to play,’ ’’ Petty told The Post. “I’d been serious about my preparation before that, but that got me more focused.’’

Petty’s daily internal battle is balancing his burning desire to play and contribute with understanding his role and making the most out of it.

“It’s about understanding your role, but then understanding, too, that you can get something out of everything that you do,’’ he said. “Some guys take that quote-unquote red-shirt year and just do whatever with it. But for me, I try to get something out of what I’m doing. And the last couple of weeks it’s been even more so.’’

It hurts Petty not to play, but he has the confidence that his time will come and when it does, he can be the Jets’ future quarterback.

“The toughest thing about being a backup quarterback is the fact that there is no sense of contributing to the team — wins, losses, tough losses, tough wins,’’ he said. “Those moments that — as you look around the locker room after a game you see everybody celebrating a win or hurting because they lost — there’s a part of that that you don’t get because there was nothing that you did to contribute to the win or trying to help in a loss.

“That’s the tough part about where I’m at, because you can’t do anything about it.’’

What Petty can do — and does on a daily basis — is take full advantage of Fitzpatrick’s knowledge.

Though Fitzpatrick’s focus is on beating the Dolphins and keeping the Jets’ playoff hopes alive, even he acknowledges his curiosity to see what Petty has when he gets his chance to play.

“I am extremely invested in Bryce’s career,’’ Fitzpatrick said.

“With [Fitzpatrick] watching film with me and us getting together on Tuesdays and game-planning together, I can tell you that I would feel confident playing right now,’’ Petty said. “There are so many guys that are not like that — guys who maybe had to learn on their own, so they just feel like everyone should learn it on their own, too.

“Fitz isn’t like that. It’s a pay-it-forward kind of deal. Hopefully, if I have the career that he’s had, I can do that for somebody else.’’

What does this have to do with Fitzpatrick slipping into a mentor role behind another starter whose job he wants? Fitz may be acting acceptably in this capacity solely because he is the starter and Petty is certainly no threat to his starting job. If/when competing with Petty or Geno for the job, and marginally losing said competition, we'll see what happens. 

10 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I know you want to be right but he's done this 5 times with 5 teams and it never worked out the way he wanted until this team. I don't know how old you are but at a certain point you have to realize that making emotional decisions is a bad idea.  

I'm assuming the guy and his agent are capable of making smart decisions. He's taken backup deals in the past and then started. He just worked off a deal like that in 2015. You would have to say they know a little bit about what fair market is in the NFL. His agent isn't a small time operator. He's established and respected. 

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What does this have to do with Fitzpatrick slipping into a mentor role behind another starter whose job he wants? Fitz may be acting acceptably in this capacity solely because he is the starter and Petty is certainly no threat to his starting job. If/when competing with Petty or Geno for the job, and marginally losing said competition, we'll see what happens. 

I'm glad Carl posted that article. Seems like Fitz, whether he likes it or not, is very capable of being a quality mentor. Maybe he doesn't want to do that, and maybe that's why he hasn't signed yet, but that's the role the Jets want him to fill. And I think if he does sign, he will do well in that role even if he does want the starting job for himself. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm glad Carl posted that article. Seems like Fitz, whether he likes it or not, is very capable of being a quality mentor. Maybe he doesn't want to do that, and maybe that's why he hasn't signed yet, but that's the role the Jets want him to fill. And I think if he does sign, he will do well in that role even if he does want the starting job for himself. 

I don't know what he'd be like if the young QB was the starter instead of the 3rd stringer.

He's supposed to be a nice & likable guy, and certainly has off-field smarts. So I'd be hopeful. But we'll see what happens when he's eventually demoted. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Maybe on the side he can do the laundry too. 

9 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

unless we know the incentives, they could be layups or ha-ha's

since he hasn't signed I'm guessing ha-ha's

its really simple.  the jets need to decide if he is their starter or not.  if he is , pay him like one, if he is not, move on

31 minutes ago, Larz said:

unless we know the incentives, they could be layups or ha-ha's

since he hasn't signed I'm guessing ha-ha's

its really simple.  the jets need to decide if he is their starter or not.  if he is , pay him like one, if he is not, move on

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60610/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-standoff-could-use-a-word-from-ron-burgundy

3. Tough encore: Some people might be wondering why the Jets can't give Fitzpatrick an incentive-laden contract, providing the chance to earn big money if he performs. They could, but Fitzpatrick probably wouldn't want to go that route. He knows he'd have a tough time attaining "Not Likely to be Earned" incentives (NLTBEs), which don't count against the cap, because he posted career numbers last season.

By rule, a player must exceed the previous season's threshold to trigger a NLTBE. For instance: He threw 31 touchdowns last season, which means he'd need 32 to trigger an incentive bonus. It also would be tough to hit markers for passing yards (3,905) and total team offense (10th). A playoff bonus (NLTBE) could yield a nice payout, but he might not want to put too many eggs in that basket. After all, he hasn't made the playoffs in his 11-year career.

My favorite NLTBE story: In 1997, Neil O'Donnell threw five touchdown passes in the season opener to earn a $1 million bonus. How'd that happen? He had only four in an injury-plagued '96.

Based on this info, I don't think they just just give him any kind of incentives they want. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick who he isn't on the roster why are we wasting all this time and band width talking about him. 

Should put Fitzpatrick on ignore. 

Then tell us that you put him on ignore.

Then remind us every chance you get that he's on ignore. 

13 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why pay a career, below average JAG QB $12MM a year?

He's a backup QB on 31 teams in the NFL.

I don't know what a JAG Qb is other than Brian Bortles. Even the worst starting Qb in the NFL is one of the best at his craft in the world. And 12 mil is below market. But he's not going to get it here. And Fitz isn't the worst Qb in the NFL. He's a good player. 

I don't know what a JAG Qb is other than Brian Bortles. Even the worst starting Qb in the NFL is one of the best at his craft in the world. And 12 mil is below market. But he's not going to get it here. And Fitz isn't the worst Qb in the NFL. He's a good player. 

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled.

31 GM's in the NFL disagree with your assessment of Fitz.

24 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why pay a career, below average JAG QB $12MM a year?

He's a backup QB on 31 teams in the NFL.

One more thing, Tex. As you well know he can beat your team. And don't give me that JV team reply.  That was Obama's line and it got him in trouble.?

One more thing, Tex. As you well know he can beat your team. And don't give me that JV team reply.  That was Obama's line and it got him in trouble.

Pats had 9 starters out for that game against the Jets.

Congrats on your first Super Bowl win in 47 years.

16 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled.

31 GM's in the NFL disagree with your assessment of Fitz.

No job openings for starters this year. If some of those other non star starting Qbs were in his situation they might be unemployed, too. In previous years you didn't have young starters like Mariota, Jameis, Osweiller, Carr, Teddy all recent guys who have sewn up jobs. In previous years all of those teams had openings. Could be a different scenario next off season if teams don't re-sign guys who didn't perform. So where are these job openings?

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Pats had 9 starters out for that game against the Jets.

Congrats on your first Super Bowl win in 47 years.

I'll take that win as well as that W against the Colts in 2009 when they benched the whole team. And btw every team in December has 9 starters out. 

9 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets have the only opening in the NFL.

And they still don't want to pay the guy.

What does that say about Fitz's abilities?

It says what you know already. And you continuously love to mention. That our owner and organization is inept. You don't kill your momentum after a good season by doing something stupid like this. If something works you don't fix it. 

Archived