Jets Rumored to be Interested in Kaepernick

Jetfan13

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Well one issue is compensation, if we can get him as cheap as we got Ftiz fine, but SF wants a high pick and we have teams in competition with us. 

This would be the bail out option if Denver gets Fitz or Fitz just won't go down in price. A fairly decent bail out option at that.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which place is best for Kap?

per PFF

Trade rumors are heating up for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, a sign of desperation around the league, as well as intrigue in a reclamation project. Make no mistake, Kaepernick has regressed every year since breaking out with an impressive debut in 2012, so any team that takes him will be doing so with that risk/reward in mind. While I’m still of the mind that Kaepernick may be best-suited staying put in San Francisco and developing within new head coach Chip Kelly’s offense, here’s a look at the three teams most interested in Kaepernick at this point, perESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Denver Broncos

Joining the defending Super Bowl champions is the best fit if Kaepernick leaves San Francisco, if for nothing else than just to play with one of the league’s best defenses, taking the pressure off him in the passing game. Kaepernick was at his best early in his career when the 49ers tapped into his running ability as a threat in the designed-run game, while working off play-action and creating easy intermediate and downfield throws. A return to that style is necessary to get him back on track; even if he’s not featured in the running game as heavily as he was before, his mobility will be an asset in head coach Gary Kubiak’s outside-zone scheme. A mobile quarterback helps to keep the defense honest in that system, and the heavy play-action approach will allow Kaepernick to hit the deep crossing routes that were his strength early in his career.

New York Jets

Similar to the situation in Denver, the Jets have a strong defense—and a defensive-minded head coach in Todd Bowles—but the real key piece may be offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Gailey has a history of adjusting his system to mobile quarterbacks, and he may be just what Kaepernick needs to rejuvenate his career. Gailey will likely implement more pistol sets while using Kaepernick’s athleticism in the designed running game, turning back the clock on his early-career success. It will also open up the running game for the Jets, with an opportunity to build a team that can control the ball on the ground and allow Bowles’ defense to keep them in every game.

Cleveland Browns

The last option is the Cleveland Browns, which certainly wouldn’t be as favorable of a situation from a talent standpoint, but it may be a good pairing with new head coach Hue Jackson. Jackson’s most recent project, Andy Dalton, is coming off his best season, as Jackson built the system around his skill-set. The issue with being traded to the Browns—when compared to the Broncos or Jets—is entering a rebuilding situation where another quarterback is likely to be drafted in the very near future, while the Broncos and Jets are capable of competing immediately with their respective defenses. So, while Kaepernick may benefit from Jackson’s tutelage, his future replacement is likely to be taken with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

1 hour ago, Sully28 said:

If we do trade for Kaep, Fitz goes to Denver and RG3 goes to the 49ers, Browns draft their QB. If Denver gets Kaep, we get the Fitz and the rest is the same. The worst case scenario is the Browns getting Kaep, that would force Denver and Jets into a bidding war for Fitzpatrick, especially if Denver likes him better than RG3.

Thankfully, I don't think the Jets will get into a bidding war over Fitzpatrick. If they really only offered him $7M/year as their top offer so far, they're fully prepared to lose him.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Thankfully, I don't think the Jets will get into a bidding war over Fitzpatrick. If they really only offered him $7M/year as their top offer so far, they're fully prepared to lose him.

Right well that's the problem, you lose out on Kaep and Fitz and then you really have to look at the draft with a Geno and Petty competition in camp

3 minutes ago, cant wait said:

In what way? It's not statistically 

Geno knows this system and he really wasn't that bad in the Oakland game. Geno is Geno so he'll make a few bone headed plays but I simply don't think Hoyer adds anything that Geno doesn't. We already have Geno on paper for cheap this last year. If it comes down to it and it's Hoyer or Geno, I'm team Geno.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

not gonna happen gents.

Mac & co didn't spend their entire season and resources scouting QBs to go in on a trade for a guy they'd have to be accountable for. #nope

Then why are they wasting time even inquiring?

The "good" part about Kaepernick is he is dumpable whenever. Yeah you've lost that pick (2nd rounder?) but we've blown those before lol. At least the team could cut ties with him at the start of any season because there's no more guaranteed years left in his deal.

3 minutes ago, Sully28 said:

Right well that's the problem, you lose out on Kaep and Fitz and then you really have to look at the draft with a Geno and Petty competition in camp

I don't know if it would come to that. They showed interest in Hoyer last year and they'll show more interest in a $5M Hoyer than a $15M Fitzpatrick. As well they should. 

Then if they draft a QB they cut Geno and the trio to start the season is Hoyer-Petty-rookie in whatever order is determined this summer. Prefer that to locking ourselves into Fitzpatrick at $15M (let alone $18M) for the next 2 seasons. Good Lord.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Spermy.... does Hoyer have a stronger arm than Fitz?

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then why are they wasting time even inquiring?

The "good" part about Kaepernick is he is dumpable whenever. Yeah you've lost that pick (2nd rounder?) but we've blown those before lol. At least the team could cut ties with him at the start of any season because there's no more guaranteed years left in his deal.

You're taking the rumours at face value... if i was GM, and FItz was hanging in the wind, i'd be a complete moron if i DIDN'T continue keeping up with the market. "Hey, so Kaep's available - how much? OK, what's he willing restructure his contract to? We need a 1 year eject button if we do it... OK i'll call you back"

#homework

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Geno knows this system and he really wasn't that bad in the Oakland game. Geno is Geno so he'll make a few bone headed plays but I simply don't think Hoyer adds anything that Geno doesn't. We already have Geno on paper for cheap this last year. If it comes down to it and it's Hoyer or Geno, I'm team Geno.

Right but I'm talking hoyer vs. fitz here, if the jets want to add a cheap backup option hoyer isn't any worse than fitz

Just now, Paradis said:

So? that was the plan all along. 

I think the ideal plan was have a stop gap QB, draft another QB at some point over the next couple years whether it's in the 1st or 4th, and allow Petty to sit and watch for another year or two.

colin kaepernick

From the never a dull moment department, we bring you the latest Jets QB rumors. There are reports today saying that the Jets are in talks to trade for 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick. There are other reports saying that it is a smoke screen designed to bring down the contract demands of Ryan Fitzpatrick. That seems to make a lot of sense, the QB carousel fills up fast, as there aren’t many options for Fitzpatrick to be a starter next year. The Jets seem to be counting on that because it will drive his price down.

Anyway, we will let the tweets tell the full story.

We will keep you posted!

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bmQM1A3tVxw

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, Sully28 said:

I think the ideal plan was have a stop gap QB, draft another QB at some point over the next couple years whether it's in the 1st or 4th, and allow Petty to sit and watch for another year or two.

Hate break the news to you, but no one's making plans around Petty. On no ones agenda does it - let petty sit around for a year or two. If we draft a QB this year in the 1/2 (cause we're gonna try) and Fitz or whomever comes back -- Geno and Petty are going to playing for one spot... and i have about as much confidence in Petty beating anyone in camp as I do shaggin'  Emilia Clarke tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know if it would come to that. They showed interest in Hoyer last year and they'll show more interest in a $5M Hoyer than a $15M Fitzpatrick. As well they should. 

Then if they draft a QB they cut Geno and the trio to start the season is Hoyer-Petty-rookie in whatever order is determined this summer. Prefer that to locking ourselves into Fitzpatrick at $15M (let alone $18M) for the next 2 seasons. Good Lord.

I agree, but Hoyer is awful, I'd rather it be Geno vs. Petty vs. Rookie in camp than giving Hoyer 5 million cause we lost out on Fitz.  I think we'll wind up bringing Fitz back for 7-9 million on a 3 year deal that's really a two year deal. I just don't see the market for him, unless the Broncos want to make a move.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're taking the rumours at face value... if i was GM, and FItz was hanging in the wind, i'd be a complete moron if i DIDN'T continue keeping up with the market. "Hey, so Kaep's available - how much? OK, what's he willing restructure his contract to? We need a 1 year eject button if we do it... OK i'll call you back"

#homework

Rumors. 

I don't think they need him to restructure his contract (or even want him to). The one thing good about Kaep's contract is he won't have multiple guaranteed seasons. If he's so awful for us in 2016 just cut him with no carryover dead cap space.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it is. Problem is we'd be lucky if he was still upright in October.

Yeah hoyer made a 40+ yard Hail Mary at the end of the first half against Indy, way out of Fitz's range. Hoyer's mechanics are better in general but you are correct that injuries have been an issue (ACL 2014, concussion 2015) although fitz isn't very durable either 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Rumors. 

I don't think they need him to restructure his contract (or even want him to). The one thing good about Kaep's contract is he won't have multiple guaranteed seasons. If he's so awful for us in 2016 just cut him with no carryover dead cap space.

canada-autocorrect

But what's his number at this year? 15mil or something? I would pay that and fcking 3rd pick, let alone a 2nd. 

Would much rather have Fitzpatrick then Hoyer. Hoyer is TERRIBLE

I'm indifferent about Fitzpatrick. We had a good year with him, but we still did not make the playoffs. If he does not want to take a reasonable contract to stay with us then I do not think he should be signed. I know he had one of the best seasons in Jets history for a quarterback standpoint, but I would much rather draft or develop our own guys.

Kaepernick is still young, and has been in the playoffs before. And a superbowl. Fitzpatrick does not have that on his resume. We saw what Gailey could get out of Fitzpatrick... I wonder what he could do with Colin.

Just now, Sully28 said:

I agree, but Hoyer is awful, I'd rather it be Geno vs. Petty vs. Rookie in camp than giving Hoyer 5 million cause we lost out on Fitz.  I think we'll wind up bringing Fitz back for 7-9 million on a 3 year deal that's really a two year deal. I just don't see the market for him, unless the Broncos want to make a move.

I'd be fine with that so long as Mac speaks to Bowles and informs him Todd it's your team but don't let your personal affinity for Fitzpatrick get in the way of a younger guy getting a chance, because that's what it's going to take to make actual improvements. He's Mr. Stopgap and then he's Mr. Mentor as soon as possible. Don't bench him for the sake of benching him, of course, but know what he is and know what he isn't.

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Hate break the news to you, but no one's making plans around Petty. On no ones agenda does it - let petty sit around for a year or two. If we draft a QB this year in the 1/2 (cause we're gonna try) and Fitz or whomever comes back -- Geno and Petty are going to playing for one spot... and i have about as much confidence in Petty beating anyone in camp as I do shaggin'  Emilia Clarke tonight. 

You don't need to break any news to me, I go to WVU watched Petty live, and his games in the big 12 his last year, he's mediocre at best and was awful in Morgantown. I don't think he's any good, but he may surprise me, obviously don't make plans around the guy, that's why you still draft a guy regardless and hope one of the 3 can put it all together. 

Archived