Mac might be a stud

jgb

I was promoting jets signing fitz early and paying him but damn they might get their man at the right price. If he brings him back sub 10MM then he is a poker master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jgb said:

I was promoting jets signing fitz early and paying him but damn they might get their man at the right price. If he brings him back sub 10MM then he is a poker master.

Oh. I thought you met someone.  Was going to move this to the Lounge.  Carry on.

Listen!! This wasn't poker or a job that was tough to come by regarding Fitz..Nobody was paying Fitz 15-18...Nobody!! The only thing Mac could do was wait this out and wait for him to drop his demands.. We knew there wasn't many places Fitz could go in the first place.. He's not a hot commodity..I love Mac but if he gets this deal done with Fitz it doesn't make him some mastermind..

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look he's taking a big chance losing him. And a move like this could have serious implications on our 2016 season. If it's just a couple of million difference and we can get him for something like 2 years/25 it's worth it. 

i dont think so.. there hasnt been any serious interest in fitz at his asking price. denver? they told him the same thing the jets did. until there is a serious offer from another team, the jets are doing the right thing. sit tight. if a team throws a serious offer to fitz, imo, the jets will jump back in and up thier offer. if thier is no serious offer, why bid against yourself?

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look he's taking a big chance losing him. And a move like this could have serious implications on our 2016 season. If it's just a couple of million difference and we can get him for something like 2 years/25 it's worth it. 

The offer is less than 3 years/$21M and it's not going up

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

i do agree with your price point. i think 7m-8m is a little too low. on a 2 year deal, i would be happy with 10m per and wouldnt scream too loud at 12m per

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

i do agree with your price point. i think 7m-8m is a little too low. on a 2 year deal, i would be happy with 10m per and wouldnt scream too loud at 12m per

No team is currently offering him more than 7 but you want to give him 12 because you like his personality?

the debate is, do you pay fitz based on other qbs or what the market will pay in general?  what fitz is finding out is that it has nothing to do with what osweiler or bradford makes.  

fitz is in a more precarious position than he realizes.  mccags is very focused on drafting a qb and fitz may start training camp waiting for another qb to get injured before he signs.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the debate is, do you pay fitz based on other qbs or what the market will pay in general?  what fitz is finding out is that it has nothing to do with what osweiler or bradford makes.  

fitz is in a more precarious position than he realizes.  mccags is very focused on drafting a qb and fitz may start training camp waiting for another qb to get injured before he signs.  

They said that Fitz almost retired last year after being traded.  I get the impression that he is motivated more by the principle of worth rather than actual dollars if that makes.  And that is not really a good thing for us.  I could see him just packing it in if he feels he is not getting close to perceived worth.

I like him but I don't see the great job. He overspent in free agency last year. But lucked out on Fitz. I give him credit because he knew Fitz from Houston. I just read an article in Niners Nation about their possible interest in Fitz once they make a final decision on Kap. Plus SF has cap room and could pay Fitz. In my opinion he could run Chip's O because of his running ability. If Fitz is willing to negotiate I think Mac should sign him. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

THIS.  Can't be locked into him for more than 1 year.

why not? who is the starting qb in 2017? you would/could hope that it is petty/draftee, but not guaranteed. i dont see a problem with paying a backup qb 10m for 1 year, while the better prospect gets the start for peanuts. its insurance. and if that happens, its all good for the jets

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They said that Fitz almost retired last year after being traded.  I get the impression that he is motivated more by the principle of worth rather than actual dollars if that makes.  And that is not really a good thing for us.  I could see him just packing it in if he feels he is not getting close to perceived worth.

if he retires, the jets are where they were last year, when mccags came in.  they need a young qb to groom.  this was true when they were winning and losing with fitz last year.  there have been 'insiders' who keep saying the jets are heavily scouting qbs.  that's where mccags' focus is.  he's trying to decide if it's worth taking lynch in the first or even trading back and taking cook, which i believe is an option.  he does not want to go into free agency every year with qb crap and middling veterans holding out for a king's ransom.  he will have cap relief as some of these very expensive veterans high cap numbers come off, but has no qb yet.  who really cares if fitz plays 1 more year?  at this point i'd rather they draft a qb, a tackle and another wr at some point and just have a younger team with hope.

6 minutes ago, ylekram said:

why not? who is the starting qb in 2017? you would/could hope that it is petty/draftee, but not guaranteed. i dont see a problem with paying a backup qb 10m for 1 year, while the better prospect gets the start for peanuts. its insurance. and if that happens, its all good for the jets

We have 2 more drafts and another full free agency period to find a better option than him for 2017.  If we've got someone that isn't quite ready, but shows promise, give him another 1 year deal at whatever cost.  It's not like the teams are lining up for him, and he'll only be another year older.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

We have 2 more drafts and another full free agency period to find a better option than him for 2017.  If we've got someone that isn't quite ready, but shows promise, give him another 1 year deal at whatever cost.  It's not like the teams are lining up for him, and he'll only be another year older.

ok. if you can get him to sign a 1 year deal, thats great. i just dont see how a 2 year deal is bad. chances are whoever takes over for fitz will be on a cheap deal anyway, so i dont think 1 more year will break the jets. and that if there is somebody to take over. on top of that, it might be a hard sell to fitz or any qb coming off a 4000 yd,31 td,10 win season, on a 1 year deal

In terms of the OP's point, Mac took a risk.  He may have lost him, he may still.  But Mac obviously made it clear he has a price point for Fitz and he's not going over it.  If he signs him for under the price point then he's done his job.  If he loses him to another team well he may have done his job as well.  Either way it goes could still leave him looking good or bad depending on FItz's performance here or elsewhere if that's the case. 

In terms of the QB position in general, I look at the position as a whole when it comes to salary paid.  If we're paying Fitz starter type of money and another QB overtakes him that is making peanuts ala Petty/Smith/rookie draft QB, what does it matter?  As a whole we're not breaking the bank at the position, nor would we be in the next couple years unless we made some sort of trade for another highly paid QB.  And frankly it's not like we're losing out on an opportunity to sign some other great QB in the meantime, there's no one on the market without major question marks.

Just now, Snell41 said:

In terms of the OP's point, Mac took a risk.  He may have lost him, he may still.  But Mac obviously made it clear he has a price point for Fitz and he's not going over it.  If he signs him for under the price point then he's done his job.  If he loses him to another team well he may have done his job as well.  Either way it goes could still leave him looking good or bad depending on FItz's performance here or elsewhere if that's the case. 

In terms of the QB position in general, I look at the position as a whole when it comes to salary paid.  If we're paying Fitz starter type of money and another QB overtakes him that is making peanuts ala Petty/Smith/rookie draft QB, what does it matter?  As a whole we're not breaking the bank at the position, nor would we be in the next couple years unless we made some sort of trade for another highly paid QB.  And frankly it's not like we're losing out on an opportunity to sign some other great QB in the meantime, there's no one on the market without major question marks.

or reading between the lines, he doesn't necessarily believe that fitz will either 1) win the starting job outright, 2) play as well as he did last year, and be benched sometime during the season or 3) have the season go awry and they play either petty or a rookie to prep for 2017.  

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if he retires, the jets are where they were last year, when mccags came in.  they need a young qb to groom.  this was true when they were winning and losing with fitz last year.  there have been 'insiders' who keep saying the jets are heavily scouting qbs.  that's where mccags' focus is.  he's trying to decide if it's worth taking lynch in the first or even trading back and taking cook, which i believe is an option.  he does not want to go into free agency every year with qb crap and middling veterans holding out for a king's ransom.  he will have cap relief as some of these very expensive veterans high cap numbers come off, but has no qb yet.  who really cares if fitz plays 1 more year?  at this point i'd rather they draft a qb, a tackle and another wr at some point and just have a younger team with hope.

I don't totally disagree with you, if Fitz goes we are no better off with Hoyer or any of the other rumor suspects.  I will say this, I think the Jets are wanting to try to stay competitivewhile they rebuild and also like Fitz for his leadership and mentoring skills.  Ideally they would keep him and draft a new Qb to sit for a full year at least.

So far the front office has played it just perfect for my liking.  I won't be totally pissed if we do not sign him if he costs to much.  I would hate having to go with Geno or Hoyer next year though.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

or reading between the lines, he doesn't necessarily believe that fitz will either 1) win the starting job outright, 2) play as well as he did last year, and be benched sometime during the season or 3) have the season go awry and they play either petty or a rookie to prep for 2017.  

Yes, and I think that risk is built into his price point and contract structure. 

Just now, Beerfish said:

I don't totally disagree with you, if Fitz goes we are no better off with Hoyer or any of the other rumor suspects.  I will say this, I think the Jets are wanting to try to stay competitivewhile they rebuild and also like Fitz for his leadership and mentoring skills.  Ideally they would keep him and draft a new Qb to sit for a full year at least.

So far the front office has played it just perfect for my liking.  I won't be totally pissed if we do not sign him if he costs to much.  I would hate having to go with Geno or Hoyer next year though.

i agree and it's clear mccags wants to pay fitz to be a caretaker qb and not someone he's banking on to go out and throw another 30 tds.

Look, if he lets Fitz walk over a couple of million dollars when we seem to have with him a competent offense with carryover from the previous year it's a big mistake. So far with limited budget his signings have been ok, nothing spectacular although Forte imo a very good signing. Idzik got killed for not signing a cornerback. This is  bigger deal. Any evaluation of Mac is on hold until this is finalized. I don't know of other teams that would allow a successful Qb sign with someone else. The Qbs available like Kap and RG3 were unsuccessful. As for Osweiller he only has 7 starts total in his career.

9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

ok. if you can get him to sign a 1 year deal, thats great. i just dont see how a 2 year deal is bad. chances are whoever takes over for fitz will be on a cheap deal anyway, so i dont think 1 more year will break the jets. and that if there is somebody to take over. on top of that, it might be a hard sell to fitz or any qb coming off a 4000 yd,31 td,10 win season, on a 1 year deal

2 year deal is fine.  Point being, I don't want a 2 year deal that includes a lot of guaranteed money in year 2/a sizeable cap hit if we do move on from him.

While it may be hard to sell fitz on a one year deal, the market is speaking, and he's not getting the response he'd hoped for.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Uh, no. Mac knows Fitz is a backup, hence the backup money. And I'll call him a stud if he can find a decent player in the draft outside the top 6 pick. 

Hold your horses. Mac agrees with me. Fitz is nothing more than a backup QB wanting to get paid Brady money. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Uh, no. Mac knows Fitz is a backup, hence the backup money. And I'll call him a stud if he can find a decent player in the draft outside the top 6 pick. 

Hold your horses. Mac agrees with me. Fitz is nothing more than a backup QB wanting to get paid Brady money. 

One hell of a year last year for a back up QB.  He's being offered more than a back up but less than the ungoldy foolish contracts others have given out.  He is being offered a low end starter money which is what they should be offering at this time due to age and upside.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

One hell of a year last year for a back up QB.  He's being offered more than a back up but less than the ungoldy foolish contracts others have given out.  He is being offered a low end starter money which is what they should be offering at this time due to age and upside.

Lol @ one hell of a year. 

Do you know what Chase is getting paid? And do you know what has offered The Journeyman?

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Not to mention the other dancing he's down with the roster and cap.

I really like the McClendon and Jarvis Jenkins signings in particular. He's maintaining a high level of talent and depth on the DL, without paying for studs, instead, he's paying for very good veterans that will also allow him to push forward the studs we already have on the roster. I'm looking forward to seeing how they play together.

Archived