Comp Pick Status?

Doggin94it

Where do we stand on who's come in and out?

As of now, the Jets signed 5 external free agents: Forte, Robinson, McClendon, Jenkins, and Morris.  As far as I can tell, none of those guys were cut by their prior team, so they all count as offsetting FAs.

We've lost Ivory, Harrison, Davis, Walls, and Antonio Allen (Kerley signed with Detroit, but he was cut so he doesn't count).  Despite the big contracts for Ivory and Harrison, that means right now we would get no comp picks at all.  Obviously, if Fitz signs somewhere else, that changes.  What other FAs do we have who might be signed before the comp pick period closes?  Douzable & Ridley?  Randy Bullock?

I'd really hate to learn we gave up a 3rd or 4th round comp pick (which we'll surely get for Harrison if we have more losses than gains) to sign Darryl ******* Morris.

19 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

As of now, the Jets signed 5 external free agents: Forte, Robinson, McClendon, Jenkins, and Morris.  As far as I can tell, none of those guys were cut by their prior team, so they all count as offsetting FAs.

We've lost Ivory, Harrison, Davis, Walls, and Antonio Allen (Kerley signed with Detroit, but he was cut so he doesn't count).  Despite the big contracts for Ivory and Harrison, that means right now we would get no comp picks at all.  Obviously, if Fitz signs somewhere else, that changes.  What other FAs do we have who might be signed before the comp pick period closes?  Douzable & Ridley?  Randy Bullock?

I'd really hate to learn we gave up a 3rd or 4th round comp pick (which we'll surely get for Harrison if we have more losses than gains) to sign Darryl ******* Morris.

Khirry Robinson doesn't qualify.  His salary is too low. Plus I think there was another reason why he doesn't qualify.  I don't think Morris does either. Antonio Allen may also wind up being a "Non Qualifying" UFA due to his $800,0000 annual salary.  That might not be enough.  The terms of the Walls contract are not yet released, so we also don't know if he was paid enough.  

Follow Over-the-Cap for cancellations here:

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

and read the mechanics of the Comp Pick process here (it's a long read, but highly detailed and informative):

http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

It really is the only solid and heavily detailed reference and Jason and his writers did a great job.  I learned a lot.

At the moment, if we are lucky enough to have Walls contract with Detroit be large enough, then we'd have one fewer Qualifying UFA acquisition than loss, and we would get a 4th (perhaps a 3rd) for Snacks.  If Walls contract is too small so as to become "non qualified", then the losses cancel with the acquisition leaving us with a wash and no comp picks unless FItz signs with another team.

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I could be wrong but aren't the comp picks are for next year's draft? not this one. 

Correct. Compensatory picks for this season are already awarded and the Jets received zero. Anything that happens in free agency impacts the following draft.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I could be wrong but aren't the comp picks are for next year's draft? not this one. 

yes, we are talking about potential 2017 Comp picks and where the Jets stand with those based on the Jets' 2016 net gain/loss of  "qualifying UFAs".

2016 comp picks are already allocated.  Done deal with those and Jets got nuttin' .

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Khirry Robinson doesn't qualify.  His salary is too low. Plus I think there was another reason why he doesn't qualify.  I don't think Morris does either. Antonio Allen may also wind up being a "Non Qualifying" UFA due to his $800,0000 annual salary.  That might not be enough.  The terms of the Walls contract are not yet released, so we also don't know if he was paid enough.  

Follow Over-the-Cap for cancellations here:

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

and read the mechanics of the Comp Pick process here (it's a long read, but highly detailed and informative):

http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

It really is the only solid and heavily detailed reference and Jason and his writers did a great job.  I learned a lot.

At the moment, if we are lucky enough to have Walls contract with Detroit be large enough, then we'd have one fewer Qualifying UFA acquisition than loss, and we would get a 4th (perhaps a 3rd) for Snacks.  If Walls contract is too small so as to become "non qualified", then the losses cancel with the acquisition leaving us with a wash and no comp picks unless FItz signs with another team.

In the cases of both Robinson and Morris, they were RFAs not tendered by their teams, so do not qualify as part of this.

The only thing I've seen about Walls' contract is one random mention of it here:  http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/03/30/detroit-lions-geoff-schwartz/82416610/

New cornerback Darrin Walls’ one-year contract was a minimum salary benefit deal that including an $80,000 signing bonus

The minimum salary part obviously brings up questions, but I'm curious if there being a signing bonus will be enough to qualify him?

36 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

In the cases of both Robinson and Morris, they were RFAs not tendered by their teams, so do not qualify as part of this.

The only thing I've seen about Walls' contract is one random mention of it here:  http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/03/30/detroit-lions-geoff-schwartz/82416610/

The minimum salary part obviously brings up questions, but I'm curious if there being a signing bonus will be enough to qualify him?

probably not.  Over-the-Cap thinks that as much as $900,000 (incl bonus) won't be enough to qualify for 2017 comp picks. If Walls is a minimum at 4-6 years, that would be $760,000 + $80,000.  Less than Antonio Allen.

So if this is the case, we are back to a wash (gained 3, lost 3 "Qualifying UFA's"). 

Fitz signing elsewhere would get us one.  

11 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Who gives a sh*t? Why don't we worry about next year, next year?

Because if we gave up a comp pick to sign Jarvis Jenkins, I will also flip my sh*t.  This is a core GM competency, and with Snacks and Ivory signing big deals elsewhere, we should be taking advantage.  We needed McLendon to replace Snacks, and Forte has the potential to be a major contributor.  But that Jenkins signing could turn into a major mistake (for example, I'd rather have Douzable + a 3rd or 4th round pick than Jenkins, or even a player signed after the UFA period closes).

17 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Since last week Ridley signed with lions and Cumberland signed with chargers. What will this do to our comp picks?

All depends on Ridley's contract with Detroit.  But if he get less than an average of $1,000,000 per year, then it is doubtful that he will qualify.  My guess is he is signed for whatever the vet minimum is and that he won't qualify.   Cumberland was a cut, not an UFA, I think.

Leaves us currently with a wash of 3 Qualified UFA acquisitions vs 3 Qualified UFA losses.  So, as for 2017 comp picks,  so far: "Nuttin' Honey"

Once another team signs Fitz prior to June 1, then we should be getting something for losing Snacks.

12 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Where is that dickweed, who worships at the altar of comp picks, when you really need his sorry ass?

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Didn't we have the meth-fueled version of this discussion last week?

I lol all over

8 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Didn't we have the meth-fueled version of this discussion last week?

Actually made me lol. I think that sums it up quite well. 

On March 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM, Doggin94it said:

Short Answer: Yes the Jets have passed up multiple picks in order to sign the Jarvis Jenkins of the world. Yup Rotational guys and JAG's. The thread above has some good info in the first few post but really was just a failed attempt at sparking discussion on a important topic on a board thats only focus is to have the same discussion on Mo, Fitz and Geno over and over and over.

My Real Thoughts to save you time as we never even got to really discuss how this all applies to the Jets in the thread above: 

The Best Teams in the league maximize their free picks yearly. Its extremely smart financially and when building a team. I am sure the Jets were aware of this and it just simply doesn't fit them. Since Bowles and Mac came here they have been extremely specific with their actions and thoughts on how to build a team. And to be honest the more I think about it- it reminds me a very specific coach that was here years ago. 

Bowles and Mac  think they are very close to a playoff team right now. From the start they wanted a Veteran team that is built on systems and doesn't rely on Elite Talent. Perhaps this was done out of need but Im not so sure anymore. They value guys in their mid 20's with upside that fit their system and are okay being role players. While they value draft picks I could easily see us jumping on late round picks for Veterans similar to last years Fitzpatrick/Marshall trades. While some think they should be jumping on Comp's the Jets would rather fill our bench with Grizzly Vets that fill VERY specific functions for us. All the signings are wayy too specific not to be part of their plan. They want to play multiple fronts and have more rotations on their Dline. They have stressed competition to the point no other coach has in a while here...

They also are handling the cap different. Ive never seen anyone in the NFL do this game that MAC has done this year. He has stayed right near the cap and if your a player on the team you have no idea if your gonna get cut. Breno, Brick? Who knows? Maybe well just restructure another guy. Also whats interesting is they have not even approached Dbrick about a restructure? Yet other teams have been reportedly waiting for Brick to get cut. 

Put all of the above together with a TOUGH coach and a veteran QB and theres really only one situation like this before: The time Bill Parcells was here. And Whats so interesting about all this? Bowles is a strict Parcell's disciple that still text him every week. So while I don't think passing on these comp picks in a vacuum is a good idea as a whole in the grand scheme of things lets wait to judge them. 

Because as of right now I think most of us on some level should feel that our FO has a very specific plan and they know more then us casual fans. Thats not a feeling I felt with Herm Edwards or Rex Ryan. Its a comforting feeling and I would recommend siting back, relaxing and seeing where MAC/Bowles takes us. Because if they are anything like the Parcells years we are in store for a great run. 

Archived