Jets ask DBrick to take pay cut

BklynJetsFan85

Some of the hate toward Brick is just crazy.  The guy has been the PERFECT football player:  10 years, has never missed ONE snap.  Has gone to the Pro Bowl three times, is a model citizen, loves playing for New York.

It is not his fault that he was given the contract he got.  Tannenbaum is the one that back-loaded it, not him.  Every person on this board would take the money.  He is open to a pay cut.  Would you be?  And he is far from done.  He has a season left in him, which is all we need at this point.

I hope Mac actually burns a 3rd or 4th this year on a replacement for Mangold.  This season is deep for centers, and it would make sense to take one this year when a really good one can be had later in the draft.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sperm you are just wrong about his level of play. You're entire opinion is based on the fundamentally wrong belief that Brick is a worthless player.

You saw one stat from PFF (who can't grade OL worth a damn, they said Weston Richberg had a better 2015 than Nick mangold) and that translates to Brent Qvale would be a better LT.  Or literally, anyone. It's just not true. 

Dbrick would get a job in literally 5 minutes if released. He'd start for the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Chargers and a bunch of other teams, no problem. He'd have multiple suitors, instantly. 

Also you neglect the fact that every 1st round LT pick since 2012 has been an adventure/disaster.

Is he worth his current salary? No. Is he declining? Yes. But there's a huge gap between what you believe this player is worth and what he's actually worth.

And the proof is in the fact that he hasn't been released yet. Worthless players don't get negotiations. They get cut.  You believe he is dead weight but the Jets clearly do not. 

No, I am right. You are the one who thinks every non-Jets fan who looks at his play objectively is wrong, and only you and people who know/like him realize his true value.

I'm not referring to a nominal outlier. When Ferguson is shown to be worse than 65 tackles, it isn't a matter of being ticky-tacky. It means he isn't even close to being a good tackle.

Brick would not get a job for most of those teams. Most would show no interest in him, as a 32 year-old has-been. Maybe if he took $3-4M they could rationalize the move as a stop-gap solution. But those teams made little to no inquiries towards FAs, and if they are looking for LTs they're looking towards the draft not an overpriced Ferguson.

He is more than declining. He has declined and is/was still declining.

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Sperm you are just wrong about his level of play. You're entire opinion is based on the fundamentally wrong belief that Brick is a worthless player.

You saw one stat from PFF (who can't grade OL worth a damn, they said Weston Richberg had a better 2015 than Nick mangold) and that translates to Brent Qvale would be a better LT.  Or literally, anyone. It's just not true. 

Dbrick would get a job in literally 5 minutes if released. He'd start for the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Chargers and a bunch of other teams, no problem. He'd have multiple suitors, instantly. 

Also you neglect the fact that every 1st round LT pick since 2012 has been an adventure/disaster.

Is he worth his current salary? No. Is he declining? Yes. But there's a huge gap between what you believe this player is worth and what he's actually worth.

And the proof is in the fact that he hasn't been released yet. Worthless players don't get negotiations. They get cut.  You believe he is dead weight but the Jets clearly do not. 

His one strength as a player was pass blocking, no?

After several years of being a solid pass blocker, D'Brickashaw Ferguson allowed 59 pressures last year; 2nd most among tackles

This is a stat, not a rating. Not good.

13 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Please inform me of just what should be the goal of this NFL franchise?

Yeeesh....we're going to just have to agree to disagree here.  For you no Super Bowl = wasted talents.  I could not disagree more with your oversimplification of what classifies as "wasted talents". 

Macagnan: brick we need you to take a $11 million pay cut or we will have to cut you.

Brick: ok boss

Next day...

Brick: I announce my retirement from the NFL. This is because I rented the Will Smith movie concussion from redbox last month and has nothing to do with being asked to surrender millions of dollars

6 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

We passed on Bridgwater and Carr because our stupid asshat moron dipsh! owner insisted on keeping a moron stupid asshat dipsh!t clown of a HC, and no real GM's would work with that moron asshat clown, so we got a moron dimwitted pretend GM, who was the only one who would work with that stupid asshat dipsh!t clown moron HC, and that stupid moron asshat dipsh!t clown GM was too stupid to realize that Geno Smith was not good enough to warrant passing on two good QB prospects

Seriously, without sugar coating it, how do you really feel?

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are losing 1 of the best LTs in the game to sign a journeyman QB bum,way to go Macc!!!!!!!!!!!  DAMMIT 

You'll believe the one report about asking Brick for a paycut to pay for fitz, but you won't believe the report directly contradicting it. Be better than this, please, for the love of god

7 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

We passed on Bridgwater and Carr because our stupid asshat moron dipsh! owner insisted on keeping a moron stupid asshat dipsh!t clown of a HC, and no real GM's would work with that moron asshat clown, so we got a moron dimwitted pretend GM, who was the only one who would work with that stupid asshat dipsh!t clown moron HC, and that stupid moron asshat dipsh!t clown GM was too stupid to realize that Geno Smith was not good enough to warrant passing on two good QB prospects

This x10000000

13 hours ago, BroadwayJets said:

His one strength as a player was pass blocking, no?

After several years of being a solid pass blocker, D'Brickashaw Ferguson allowed 59 pressures last year; 2nd most among tackles

This is a stat, not a rating. Not good.

Don't bother.

And don't even guess how many more pressures that would have been if Fitz was the type of QB to hold the ball for a while (or if Gailey's offense called for him to do so). Nor how many more he'd have tallied on top of that if the Jets had a decent tackle on the other side. Where the play ended earlier due to a sack/throwaway/checkdown-dumpoff because of Breno's many pressures allowed, so Ferguson therefore got credit for not allowing pressure on those plays. Giacomini's sh*tty blocking technically helped Ferguson's stats in 2015 (and in 2014 before that). Oh, and (as you brought up) this was his strength. His run blocking was certainly no asset.

I'm glad he retired. I got no pleasure out of finding fault with someone who was so good - and at times, great - for so many years for the Jets. I'd much rather cheer on a good/great player instead, like he used to be. Or if Brick's replacement is no better, I'd rather piss on about some nobody I don't care about and never liked. 

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't bother.

And don't even guess how many more pressures that would have been if Fitz was the type of QB to hold the ball for a while (or if Gailey's offense called for him to do so). Nor how many more he'd have tallied on top of that if the Jets had a decent tackle on the other side. Where the play ended earlier due to a sack/throwaway/checkdown-dumpoff because of Breno's many pressures allowed, so Ferguson therefore got credit for not allowing pressure on those plays. Giacomini's sh*tty blocking technically helped Ferguson's stats in 2015 (and in 2014 before that). Oh, and (as you brought up) this was his strength. His run blocking was certainly no asset.

I'm glad he retired. I got no pleasure out of finding fault with someone who was so good - and at times, great - for so many years for the Jets. I'd much rather cheer on a good/great player instead, like he used to be. Or if Brick's replacement is no better, I'd rather piss on about some nobody I don't care about and never liked. 

Couldn't agree more.

Archived