McShay's 3 round mock

BklynJetsFan85

New York Jets

Round 1 (20): Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
Round 2 (51): Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 (83): Joshua Perry, ILB, Ohio State

Analysis: We downgraded Hargreaves a bit because of his less-than-ideal measurables (5-foot-10 frame and 30 5/8-inch arms), but he has the aggressiveness and confidence to develop into a quality starting CB on the outside. The Jets need one of those to play opposite Darrelle Revis after cutting Antonio Cromartie. Spence fell to the second round here because of his off-field mishaps, but he has skill set to develop into an impact pass-rusher in the NFL.

I think it's interesting him having Hargreaves falling so far but it'd def be good pick and I'd be fine with it... if spence drops to us in the 2nd round - it's a no brainer.

I wasn't familiar with Joshua Perry but here's a scouting report from nfl.com

Strengths

Noted leader on the field and in the locker room. Winner who is willing to do the dirty work. Big and physical and has the strength and grit to handle himself at point of attack. Productive tackler with good finishing rate. Wrap up tackler who throws his chest into it. Allowed just one broken tackle over last two years. Has old­-school thumper's mentality in the box. Well­-conditioned and continues to bring his lunch pail into the fourth quarter. Plays with good instincts anticipating screen passes and getting jumps on wide rushing plays.

Weaknesses

Will play through a straw and has a limited area of impact as a playmaker. Gets too caught up in physical battles against blockers and loses sight of the ball. Plays too tall and allows blockers under his pads and into his frame. Needs to punch and shuck sooner and get to the tackle. Stiff movement in space and labors with direction change. Below average sideline­-to-­sideline chaser. Doesn’t appear to have the one-on­-one cover skills to stay on the field in sub­packages.

NFL Comparison

Taiwan Jones

Bottom Line

Physical linebacker who has produced high­-end tackle numbers over the last two years at Ohio State. Perry played the role of thumper on a loaded Ohio State team, but may be lacking the athleticism and overall speed to replicate his college production in the pros. His best fit may be as a physical, 3-­4 inside linebacker who has to leave the field on passing downs.

i'm not ok with any of the picks.  the whole exercise is theoretical and does not take into account the aging offensive line, the clear need for a qb or even the lack of TE on the team.  this is a team that has drafted what, 7 consecutive defensive players in the first round, the only way they get good wrs is via FA, and mcshay thinks the jets should draft 3 players in the first 3 rounds?  well, he can sit there in his ivory tower but i bet no other gms would think that's a sound strategy to compete in that division.  

54 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

3 defensive picks in a row would make for good overreaction on this board. I'd be okay with the first two picks. Third seems like overkill. Corner is definitely a need with so many question marks/suck behind Revis.

I don't like these selections. Personally I don't understand how the Jets could select a CB in the first round. If Hargreaves falls to 20, I guess I could see that if Mac was selecting purely based on BPA. To me, it doesn't really make sense, at least not this year. I don't see how CB is 'definitely a need'. Unless the Jets cut or trade someone, there is literally no room on the roster for a rookie CB, especially a high draft pick who you would want to award some playing time to see what they can do at the NFL level.   

Here is the depth chart at CB:

Revis: recently signed to big contract, Jets #1 CB (makes no sense to cut or trade him).

Skrine: recently signed to big contract, still young and has not reached his ceiling (makes no sense to cut or trade him).

M.Williams: had a breakout season last year and is still a young player- he will vie for the #2 spot across from Revis and will probably end up switching with Skine at the #2 spot depending on formations and match-ups (makes no sense to cut or trade him). 

D.Milliner: Drafted high, still only 24, plagued by injuries so he has not shown whether he is a bust or not as he has not had enough opportunities on the field. Jets have an option on him next year. This is a put up or shut up year for him, he has to show improvement and he has to show that he can stay healthy (makes no sense to cut him, he has ZERO trade value).  

D.McDougle: Young player with high upside, recently drafted, has yet to show what type of player he can be as he was out last year due to injury.  (makes no sense to cut or trade him- Jets will not get much compensation for him in a trade).

D.Morris: Signed this off-season for depth and to help with special teams coverage (makes no sense to cut or trade him). 

Please tell me how drafting a CB in the first round THIS YEAR makes any sense or how the Jets have a 'NEED' at CB going into the 2016-17 season. As if drafting Hargreaves eliminates ANY of the question marks at CB. I'm sick of people mocking CB to the Jets in the first round. Stop it already. Williams, McDougle and Milliner will all get opportunities this season, especially Williams, who could solidify his place across from Revis if he plays well in camp and pre-season. Morris is fast, still young, and was signed on a cheap 1yr deal SPECIFICALLY to help in special teams coverage and add depth. 

N.Spence has character/substance abuse issues that both Mac and Bowles will want to stay away from. If he falls to the Jets 2nd round selection (which he wont), they MAY take a gamble. But I doubt it. I think it depends on whether or not the Jets are able to trade Wilk and what kind of draft pick compensation they will get out of the deal. 

I would be surprised if Decker and P.Lynch were sitting there at 20 and the Jets did not take one of them. 

In fact, I have been predicting that if both are there at 20, the Jets take Decker and move up for P.Lynch before the Broncos can snatch him up. After 20, there is NO team that would draft a QB in the first round other than the Broncos. If the Jets are able to swing a Wilk deal for additional picks, it would give them enough ammo to move up from the 2nd into the bottom of the 1st and take P.Lynch- who they seem to really like. For example, if the Jets got a high 2nd rounder and a 4th for WIlk. They could move the high 2nd rounder and THEIR 3rd for a late 1st and draft P.Lynch. They would still have THEIR 2nd and two 4th rounders to address other positions. In this scenario, drafting N.Spence in the 2nd round would make sense. Although again, red flags due to off field issues, and I doubt he will be there when the Jets pick in the 2nd round.  

Rd. 1: Decker

Rd. 1 via trade: P.Lynch

Rd. 2 : N.Spence? 

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't like these selections. Personally I don't understand how the Jets could select a CB in the first round. If Hargreaves falls to 20, I guess I could see that if Mac was selecting purely based on BPA. To me, it doesn't really make sense, at least not this year. I don't see how CB is 'definitely a need'. Unless the Jets cut or trade someone, there is literally no room on the roster for a rookie CB, especially a high draft pick who you would want to award some playing time to see what they can do at the NFL level.   

Here is the depth chart at CB:

Revis: recently signed to big contract, Jets #1 CB (makes no sense to cut or trade him).

Skrine: recently signed to big contract, still young and has not reached his ceiling (makes no sense to cut or trade him).

M.Williams: had a breakout season last year and is still a young player- he will vie for the #2 spot across from Revis and will probably end up switching with Skine at the #2 spot depending on formations and match-ups (makes no sense to cut or trade him). 

D.Milliner: Drafted high, still only 24, plagued by injuries so he has not shown whether he is a bust or not as he has not had enough opportunities on the field. Jets have an option on him next year. This is a put up or shut up year for him, he has to show improvement and he has to show that he can stay healthy (makes no sense to cut him, he has ZERO trade value).  

D.McDougle: Young player with high upside, recently drafted, has yet to show what type of player he can be as he was out last year due to injury.  (makes no sense to cut or trade him- Jets will not get much compensation for him in a trade).

D.Morris: Signed this off-season for depth and to help with special teams coverage (makes no sense to cut or trade him). 

Please tell me how drafting a CB in the first round THIS YEAR makes any sense or how the Jets have a 'NEED' at CB going into the 2016-17 season. As if drafting Hargreaves eliminates ANY of the question marks at CB. I'm sick of people mocking CB to the Jets in the first round. Stop it already. Williams, McDougle and Milliner will all get opportunities this season, especially Williams, who could solidify his place across from Revis if he plays well in camp and pre-season. Morris is fast, still young, and was signed on a cheap 1yr deal SPECIFICALLY to help in special teams coverage and add depth. 

N.Spence has character/substance abuse issues that both Mac and Bowles will want to stay away from. If he falls to the Jets 2nd round selection (which he wont), they MAY take a gamble. But I doubt it. I think it depends on whether or not the Jets are able to trade Wilk and what kind of draft pick compensation they will get out of the deal. 

Revis: On backside of his good years, 30 years old, very expensive.

Skrine: Overpaid, overrated, and not very good. Should strictly be an inside corner, but even then not very good there either.

Williams: A complete unknown. Has looked good in spot playing, but looked overmatched when having to play a majority of the snaps. FA at end of the year.

Milliner: Injury waiting to happen. Wasn't all that good when healthy. FA at end of  the year.

McDougle: Strictly an inside corner. Could be solid, but couldn't even get on the field to show it.

Morris: Special teams player. Not to be counted on for significant defensive snaps. Completely cuttable for a better talent, if necessary.

Yeah, great depth at the position. Cornerback is a need, whether you think so or not.

Also, your premise that there isn't enough room on the roster is bunk. The Jets carried 7 CBs last year, Walls and Cro are gone. They definitely have room for another, especially since Milliner is going to get hurt at some point. The Jets cannot go into the season with the above depth chart as is. It's not good enough. If the CB is the BPA at 20 or even at 51, you take that player because it is a need.

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Revis: On backside of his good years, 30 years old, very expensive.

Skrine: Overpaid, overrated, and not very good. Should strictly be an inside corner, but even then not very good there either.

Williams: A complete unknown. Has looked good in spot playing, but looked overmatched when having to play a majority of the snaps. FA at end of the year.

Milliner: Injury waiting to happen. Wasn't all that good when healthy. FA at end of  the year.

McDougle: Strictly an inside corner. Could be solid, but couldn't even get on the field to show it.

Morris: Special teams player. Not to be counted on for significant defensive snaps. Completely cuttable for a better talent, if necessary.

Yeah, great depth at the position. Cornerback is a need, whether you think so or not.

Also, your premise that there isn't enough room on the roster is bunk. The Jets carried 7 CBs last year, Walls and Cro are gone. They definitely have room for another, especially since Milliner is going to get hurt at some point. The Jets cannot go into the season with the above depth chart as is. It's not good enough. If the CB is the BPA at 20 or even at 51, you take that player because it is a need.

Well, these are assumptions you are making about the players and I disagree on a lot of them.

"Revis: On backside of his good years, 30 years old, very expensive." Fair enough, but do you think he will be a Jet this year? How about next year? I think the answer is yes to both. He is on the 'backside of his good years' but still one of the top CBs in the NFL and easily a #1- which is hard to find, expensive or not. 

"Skrine: Overpaid, overrated, and not very good. Should strictly be an inside corner, but even then not very good there either." Well, I disagree. I though he played very well at Nickel, which is his specialty. He was a threat as a blitzer. He can play (if needed) on the outside and hold his own. Is he overpaid? Maybe. The Jets signed him and knew what they were doing. He has upside and has yet to reach his ceiling. 

"Williams: A complete unknown. Has looked good in spot playing, but looked overmatched when having to play a majority of the snaps." Well I simply disagree. This is his 3rd year on the Jets so he is not really a complete unknown (not as much as a rookie would be, that's for sure). He didn't just look good in spot playing, he had a breakout year with the opportunities that he got, playing in 13 games and snagging 6 INTs. He didn't look over-matched as the #2, he held his own against some very good WRs and looked considerably better than Cro. 

"Milliner: Injury waiting to happen. Wasn't all that good when healthy. FA at end of  the year." Injury waiting to happen? Maybe. There is no possible way you can know that for sure. Period. A devastating injury can happen to anyone. Yes, Milliner has a history of injuries. But that doesn't mean he won't stay healthy this season, maybe he will, maybe he won;t, maybe he will be healthy for the majority but still miss some games, you just don't know. He wasn't that good when healthy but he wasn't that bad and he was a rookie when he actually played, coming in as the #2 guy, which is tough. He showed promise at times, he looked awful at times. This is why this is make or break year for him. And the Jets have an option on him next year, so if he excels and stay healthy, they will probably re-sign him. They invested a top 10 pick on him and cutting him this season makes absolutely no sense. 

"McDougle: Strictly an inside corner. Could be solid, but couldn't even get on the field to show it." Well, he got hurt and he's only been in the NFL a couple of seasons. CBs take time to develop. Again, you don't know for sure that he is strictly an inside CB, how could you possibly know that? Why? b/c he's 5'10? What a joke. Does it matter? Do you cut him? No.  

"Morris: Special teams player. Not to be counted on for significant defensive snaps. Completely cuttable for a better talent, if necessary." Sure, I agree with this. But we're talking about the 6th CB on the depth chart. And he WAS signed to play special teams, which is IMPORTANT. Especially for the Jets. You need a guy like that on your roster. This is why the SIGNED HIM THIS YEAR. Granted, they could cut him if they drafted a CB early and had to, I'll give you that. But why would they? 

Look, its fine, we disagree on the CB depth and value of the players the Jets have at CB. Which is fine. But my basic reasoning was that the Jets have 6 CB's and I highly doubt they are planning to cut or trade any of them- b/c as I said, it doesn't really make sense. Sure, there is room for a 7th (they carried 7 into the season last year). But again, it still doesn't really make sense to me to draft a CB THIS YEAR in the 1st round.   

Excuse my tone but you have completely defecated on the Jets secondary in your post and I disagree with pretty much all your points. Good day to you sir. 

Why the hell does no one think the Jets are drafting a QB? ...I mean, it gets floated around here and there - but generally speaking these god damn muppets all over the country county to mock uninspiring RTs and 4-3 DEs miscasted as OLBs

What the Fck?

If DEN even sniffs a QBs, it's national news and ppl begin breaking down the fit. Why the hell isn't the Jets interest perceived as legit? Has Fitz's beard bamboozled the entire country...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

i can see Wilkerson getting traded to chicago for the 11th pick or to oakland for the 14th pick. if they jets have 2 first rounders then i can see Lynch getting grabbed up with one of them.

Where do you see Lynch going if the Jets are not able to acquire a top 20 1st round pick. Just curious, b/c I believe he will be there at 20 when the Jets pick. 

QB needy teams in the first round: Browns (2), SF (7), PHI (8), Rams (15).

Wentz and Goff are rated higher than Lynch. Who knows, maybe one of these teams really likes Lynch. But I believe none of these teams view Lynch as player they would take this high in the draft -for good reason- he is a project and a gamble. I think the Browns take Wentz, I think SF takes Goff (perfect for Chip Kelly). The Rams took Mannion recently and I don't think they have given up on Foles. That leaves the Eagles. They have Bradford. Does the new regime have any confidence in him? I don't know. They are a wild card. But taking Lynch at 8, to me, is very early. I don't see the Eagles doing that with all the other talent on the board.     

So when you look at all the other teams in the first round, unless there is a trade up scenario (impossible to predict), Lynch should be there at 20.   

Where do you see Lynch going if the Jets are not able to acquire a top 20 1st round pick. Just curious, b/c I believe he will be there at 20 when the Jets pick. 

QB needy teams in the first round: Browns (2), SF (7), PHI (8), Rams (15).

Wentz and Goff are rated higher than Lynch. Who knows, maybe one of these teams really likes Lynch. But I believe none of these teams view Lynch as player they would take this high in the draft -for good reason- he is a project and a gamble. I think the Browns take Wentz, I think SF takes Goff (perfect for Chip Kelly). The Rams took Mannion recently and I don't think they have given up on Foles. That leaves the Eagles. They have Bradford. Does the new regime have any confidence in him? I don't know. They are a wild card. But taking Lynch at 8, to me, is very early. I don't see the Eagles doing that with all the other talent on the board.     

So when you look at all the other teams in the first round, unless there is a trade up scenario (impossible to predict), Lynch should be there at 20.   

With QBs, especially those seen as potential franchise QBs, you have to throw rules and expectations out the window.

If teams like Lynch as much as we think they might (the "raw" label is so inflated at this point) then he's not getting out of the top 15. Anyone who's targeting him is either in that range or knows they'll have to trade up there.

If a qb goes later it's usually because a team used a luxury pick or traded back into the first.

If we want him, we gotta get him.

Come on Defense win championships defense win playoffs games defense win games,.  Don't really think Jets are going to trades up . So 1st Rd DE Emmanuel OGBAH 2nd Rd OT Jason Spriggs 3rd Rd CB Xavien Howard 4th Rd QB Christian Hackenberg.

12 hours ago, maury77 said:

It's going to be tough to stomach another CB in the first round. I understand the BPA argument, but exactly what year is this organization going to start investing premium picks on the offense?

What position on offense are you thinking the Jets should take with a premium pick this season? Offensive line and Quarterback are the only positions of dire need on offense right now. I don't think any of the QBs worth taking will be there at 20. So you want a tackle at 20? I'm good with that, but it's unlikely to be the BPA. That's likely to be a defensive player.

11 hours ago, maury77 said:

It's going to be tough to stomach another CB in the first round. I understand the BPA argument, but exactly what year is this organization going to start investing premium picks on the offense?

It's the luck of the draw. If all your best offensive players are off the board when your selection comes up @20 do you reach for a late 20's OT because he's an offensive player or an early 2nd QB @20 for the same reason?\

With only 6 picks and Mo to work with, moving up may prove  difficult, apparently everyonr outside #15 would like to trade down because the good value appears to be in the 2nd - 4th.

On 4/12/2016 at 6:19 PM, T0mShane said:

If you took a Phillips-head screwdriver and pushed it into Todd McShay's left ear so hard that the tip of this screwdriver emerged from his right ear, he wouldn't be any dumber or more inane than he is right now.

Agreed, he's such a little wuss and he actually gets paid to do this stuff.  Hey T0mShane are you into draft apps?  

Archived