Draft Week; Lynchtime

Paradis

Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?

• Yes - trade picks, Mo, whatever... just get us the franchise QB
    • No - I'd rather continue trying to strike gold in the mid-rounds

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

pauline wrote that he thinks hackenberg will  be gone by early 2nd round and could possibly be drafted ahead of lynch.

Yea he said Lynch's wonderlic score is scaring some teams. If we could get a high 2nd tradin MO i'd take Hackenberg. I think he has high football IQ and would need half a season to a year to be ready. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Pcola said:

The biggest knock on Lynch is that he was in a gimmicky offense.  Does everyone realize that Goff took 99% of his snaps from the shotgun?  Lynch has a much stronger arm and his mobility is in a different league.  Wentz may have taken a few more snaps from center, but has very limited experience, very weak competition, and a history of injuries.

then there is the rumored wonderlic score.  The last time we passed on a QB because our "system" was too complicated was Dan Marino, who scored lower on the wonderlic than Lynch.  Walton felt his offense was too complicated.  Why not ask yourself, maybe we could "dummy" it down a tad?

lynch is more prepared to start than Wentz.  Higher ceiling than Goff.  So it's an argument for teams to give up several drafts for Goff and Wentz but Lynch is a reach at 20?

any of these guys goes to Cle, they will bust.  So it's not as easy as comparing careers.  LA has an elite RB and a devastating defense so all he needs to be is 2009 Sanchez, and they have a chance.  Philly has a ton of holes but they have two legitimate QBs in front of the #2 so Wentz can probably sit for two years.  If the Jets were able to, sit Lynch, start Fitz this year, and have a competition for 2017.

The Jets passed on Marino for the same reason they passed on Sapp drug use..

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dude, that's a grown man grizzly bear.  Not some peach fuzz foomanchew ugly pubic hair type sh*t.

a9cbdd21762e10a0e9f084a8cf292ebf.jpg

Dude, the kid is 22. Fitz is 33. This isn't a facial hair competition. 

The Jets are a football team not a modeling agency for Orvis and Duluth Trading catalogs.

17 hours ago, slats said:

The wonderlic score concerns me. This isn't 1983. Players know they're being scrutinized, and they can prepare with sample wonderlic questions. It isn't rocket surgery. The low score means either he didn't care to prepare, or he did prepare and that's the best he could do. 

I wont fault them if they take him at #20. The kid has physical gifts. If they give up a lot to move up, though, I don't know. 

Even the "average" guys who score in the upper 20s are pretty lame given how simple the questions are. Below 70% is normally a fail on most tests. That's a 35 on the Wonderlic. They have 14.4 secs average to answer each question. We don't know if Lynch answered only 18 questions and got them all right or if he got 32 answers wrong. If he can't read a playbook that might be a problem. On the field, the view from 6'-7" might make up for some of his low score.

26 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Even the "average" guys who score in the upper 20s are pretty lame given how simple the questions are. Below 70% is normally a fail on most tests. That's a 35 on the Wonderlic. They have 14.4 secs average to answer each question. We don't know if Lynch answered only 18 questions and got them all right or if he got 32 answers wrong. If he can't read a playbook that might be a problem. On the field, the view from 6'-7" might make up for some of his low score.

the wonderlic may factor into qb success.   then i watch highlights of lynch on youtube.  i see a guy who has a quick release and seems to have a feel for pressure and can move in the pocket and throw on the run.  there are qbs with much higher wonderlics (including geno smith who scored a 24, and mark sanchez who got a 28) who can't do this.

I am so starved to root for an actual franchise QB, that I want the jets to draft a QB every year until they find one.  This year is no different.  If the braintrust of the Jets likes any of the QB's in this draft, they need to do whatever it takes to draft him. 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the wonderlic may factor into qb success.   then i watch highlights of lynch on youtube.  i see a guy who has a quick release and seems to have a feel for pressure and can move in the pocket and throw on the run.  there are qbs with much higher wonderlics (including geno smith who scored a 24, and mark sanchez who got a 28) who can't do this.

Jets had him in for a visit. They should've given him a redo Wonderlic test for observation.

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Jets had him in for a visit. They should've given him a redo Wonderlic test for observation.

Question 1:  You are a rookie on the road vs. Tennessee.  You are inside your own 20 yard line and losing.  There is a fierce pass rush.  You a) throw the ball away, b, tuck and run, c) chuck it long, d) take the safe sack, or e) pass the ball behind your back while being tackled.

My prediction:

Mac will attempt to move up 5 spots (to 15 via Titans) to take Lynch if he falls out of the top 10 (if the Browns and SF pass). If the cost is too much, he won't do it.

If the cost is reasonable (and it may include Wilk), he WILL do it and he WILL take Lynch. If Lynch falls to 20- he will take Lynch. 

Otherwise, I don;t see it happening. No way Mac goes up past CLE and SF to take Lynch- too costly. No way Mac passes on Lynch if he falls to 20. He's been looking to draft HIS guy leading up to the draft, he won't pass on the perfect opportunity to do so.  

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It would seem that Gailey's offense is the most rookie friendly offense in the NFL. Last year we ran a 80% shotgun single read offense. Even Lynch can learn that. Go get him.

Got a feeling Mac will, and that no, 7 in the clip against UCLA as well.

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

The Jets passed on Marino for the same reason they passed on Sapp drug use..

No, the reason they passed on Marino was because Walton didn't think he could comprehend his playbook.  Kenny O was very intelligent, that is why he was the pick over Marino.  

Lynch’s tape is good and you gotta love his ceiling…

However, his low (Qb) wunderlik, coming out early (jr.), and the fact that he played in a simplistic 1 read college offense, along with some accounts that he wasn’t particularly articulate during interviews…

These all combine to create some red flags for a top 20 (heck top 10) - 1st rd prospect. 

I’m not moving up to get him, but do feel that the risk vs. reward at pick #20 (with who is left on the board) is where it starts to make sense. 

However, with the media+draft pungents constantly linking the Jets to Lynch, it makes me think there’s no way it happens/or they even want him (because let’s face it, they never get it right):

With that, I could see the Jets (not me) preferring Hackenberg in rd. 2, even if they had to get to the top of the rd..

He’s got a lot more upstairs, understands pro concepts, similar size + throwing ability.  Most of his college tape is hard to look at (ugly) but also hard to project as he had the worst college offensive line I’ve ever seen.  The one year he played in a pro-style offense, he looked like a future franchise QB.

4 hours ago, Cosimojet said:

Lynch’s tape is good and you gotta love his ceiling…

However, his low (Qb) wunderlik, coming out early (jr.), and the fact that he played in a simplistic 1 read college offense, along with some accounts that he wasn’t particularly articulate during interviews…

These all combine to create some red flags for a top 20 (heck top 10) - 1st rd prospect. 

I’m not moving up to get him, but do feel that the risk vs. reward at pick #20 (with who is left on the board) is where it starts to make sense. 

However, with the media+draft pungents constantly linking the Jets to Lynch, it makes me think there’s no way it happens/or they even want him (because let’s face it, they never get it right):

With that, I could see the Jets (not me) preferring Hackenberg in rd. 2, even if they had to get to the top of the rd..

He’s got a lot more upstairs, understands pro concepts, similar size + throwing ability.  Most of his college tape is hard to look at (ugly) but also hard to project as he had the worst college offensive line I’ve ever seen.  The one year he played in a pro-style offense, he looked like a future franchise QB.

Can't really knock Lynch for coming out early, he graduated and accomplished everything he possibly could at Memphis.

As far settling for Hack, I just have an issue with taking such a flawed prospect so high.  I mean, he fits what we typically select in round two, so I do go into every draft realizing that who ever we take in round 2 will eventually bust.

But you would think that Woody has learned his lesson about taking QBs outside of round one.  They don't amount to jack squat.  If they don't get Lynch, then I say pass on all of them.  You already have a back up in Geno, and a long shot developmental guy in Petty.  Either pick someone who by camp has surpassed Petty and by the end of preseason, Geno.  Or don't waste the pick.  Rather have any other position.

17 minutes ago, Pcola said:

And everyone knocking his wonderlic score, he scored 2 points higher than Marino.

Nobody's asking him to build their retirement portfolio.  

I believe he did graduate so he can't be that dumb, he has football intelligence and can hit guys in stride, a strong arm and throws the short ball exceptionally well, probably will go top 10, between 7 - 12.    It would be similar to the Sanchez deal,I use Marino to handle all my investment decisions short and long term, and will hire Lynch for the same role should he be drafted by the NY Jets.

7 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I am so starved to root for an actual franchise QB, that I want the jets to draft a QB every year until they find one.  This year is no different.  If the braintrust of the Jets likes any of the QB's in this draft, they need to do whatever it takes to draft him. 

Rep'd for great post and great avatar...which I need one for myself too.

46 minutes ago, Pcola said:

And everyone knocking his wonderlic score, he scored 2 points higher than Marino.

Jim Kelly also scored the same as or lower than Marino I believe. Both in Canton. But, if they saw at their private workout that he's a dummy who can't grasp pro concepts then you pass. All you need to know is if he can understand your system. 

39 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jim Kelly also scored the same as or lower than Marino I believe. Both in Canton. But, if they saw at their private workout that he's a dummy who can't grasp pro concepts then you pass. All you need to know is if he can understand your system. 

This is true.  None of us really know.  If his interviews come across like he's Andy from Parks and Rec, then you have to ask yourself, face of the franchise?

12 minutes ago, Pcola said:

This is true.  None of us really know.  If his interviews come across like he's Andy from Parks and Rec, then you have to ask yourself, face of the franchise?

and on the flip side you have qbs who score in the 20s and 30s on the test who never learn how to feel pressure or read defenses.  the wonderlic test does not test football iq.  it tests book smarts.  

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

I don't care about his wonderlic score.  Lynch played in a gimmicky one read offense in college and crumbled when defenses adjusted for it. 

That's why Lynch stunk up the joint facing Auburn in the bowl game. 

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I don't care about his wonderlic score.  Lynch played in a gimmicky one read offense in college and crumbled when defenses adjusted for it. 

Auburn is a better team than Memphis regardless..

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Ok so destroy him because he got his ass kicked against Auburn but don't give him credit for taking a sh*t Memphis team and beating Ole Miss?

yes, he played in the shot gun most of the snaps in college.  Goff played in the shot gun 99% of his snaps.  So your unsubstantiated hate for the guy is a little off base.  And while he played multiple games against future NFL players from the SEC, Wentz played against a bunch of future UPS delivery men.,

so an argument can be made against every single prospect.  Lynch has the strongest arm in this draft class by far, and has the best mobility of the upper tier, so with the right coaching, he can be the best QB the Jets have had in 40+ years.

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Your friend Blaine Gabbert just called.

1 hour ago, King P said:

Tony Pauline was on Jets Nation on SNY, and said he doubts the Jets take Paxton Lynch even if he falls to 20. Said they'd probably use him as a bargaining tool to trade up.

Take it for what it's worth though 

Any insight as to why...? I think that's a stretch. I don't (obviously) personally know how they feel about Lynch, but given the amount of resources they've invested in scouting him, I highly doubt they're that passe about taking him... I think it's safe to say - given how quiet this regime is - that Tony's in the dark like most of the league for the Jets w/ rnd 1. 

The Jets are looking at a QB early, that much we all know. They'd have made move by now on the free agent market if they didn't expect to add a piece via the draft.... whether they only had eyes for Goff/Wentz... I guess we'll find out. 

11 hours ago, Pcola said:

Ok so destroy him because he got his ass kicked against Auburn but don't give him credit for taking a sh*t Memphis team and beating Ole Miss?

yes, he played in the shot gun most of the snaps in college.  Goff played in the shot gun 99% of his snaps.  So your unsubstantiated hate for the guy is a little off base.  And while he played multiple games against future NFL players from the SEC, Wentz played against a bunch of future UPS delivery men.,

so an argument can be made against every single prospect.  Lynch has the strongest arm in this draft class by far, and has the best mobility of the upper tier, so with the right coaching, he can be the best QB the Jets have had in 40+ years.

I don't really like Goff either as a qb.  I think if everything breaks right for him he will be a slightly more athletic Pennington.

I don't hate Lynch I just don't think he's a good prospect.  In most years he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick but the NFL is so lacking in qb's now he's going to probably be a top 15 pick.  He's basically a worse version of Kaepernick or Mariota

14 hours ago, Pcola said:

Yeah Chrebet is already managing that for us so we are good.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

It's not just because Auburn was better they game planned Lynch.  They attacked his first read and forced him to go through progressions which he couldn't do

Most QBs coming out college can't go through Progressions . This is why good coaching is important when grooming them ..  

Archived