Draft Week; Lynchtime

Paradis

Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?

• Yes - trade picks, Mo, whatever... just get us the franchise QB
    • No - I'd rather continue trying to strike gold in the mid-rounds

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Most overblown criticism ever. QBs, even elite ones, lock onto to their first read ALL of the time. Fitz did it almost exclusively last year. Single read/dumpoff. Rinse/repeat. Even Aaron Rodgers has stated he rarely goes to a third read on most plays.  Seems like there is this group think that QBs have to be looking somewhere else on every play and that at the last second go back to the read when the reaiity is that there is rarely time to go through several reads during the actual play. What separates the elites, is that they know which read will likely be open before the snap so locking in on them does not lead to a lot of interceptions.

You want to talk about crappy logic how about the argument that any qb can be succesful with Marshall and Decker.  There's a couple available in rounds 1-2 that we would be lucky to go 4-12 with

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Could we have a middle option - make a reasonable trade, but don't give up the farm?? I'd be on board with that, but the two options above are a bit extreme.

Ummmmmmmm this was the first thing I thought!!  It is the either or options that folks think and post out here that makes for an off center fan base at times.....

Lynch I believe probably has more upside then Petty but not enough to bet the farm on IMO so we have to make reasonable efforts to get him here not outrageous ones...........

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

So did I, and I'm not loving Lynch . I can't put my finger on it, but something about him tells me that he's a spot light kid who will get his coach fired .

See i actually get the other impression from him. I think he is a guy that in his own way will put the entire team on his back and raise the level of the entire team. I think that Lynch is going to be an elite QB in the NFL. And he is perfect for NY

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I personally would love it if they drafted him and I support moving up to get him. But I voted not because the way this is worded:

Are you prepared to do whatever it takes to land Lynch?

• Yes - trade picks, Mo, whatever... just get us the franchise QB

I am not giving up Mo and next years first rounder to get him. So we will see how the draft board plays out.

to that i would say this....

Let's say we don't want to give up next year's first. TB says sure, we'll take Mo, #20, and next year's #1, and in return you get #9, and our 3rd round pick... You say no....

Then he proceeds to be drafted by Buffalo who did settle on paying for him, and he's winning division titles and making championship runs... you think in 3-4 years, we're gonna really care about giving up a 1st, when you're making AFC title runs annually? If you're not prepared to give up next year's first, then you just don't love him that much. And in that case, shouldn't even thinking about going up for him. 

All i'm saying is -  If he's the guy, then he's the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

to that i would say this....

Let's say we don't want to give up next year's first. TB says sure, we'll take move, #20, and next year's #1, and in return you get #9, and our 3rd pick... You say no....

Then he proceeds to be drafted by Buffalo who did settle on paying for him, and he's winning division titles and making championship runs... you think in 4 years, we're gonna really care about giving up a 1st, when you're playing for AFC championship title vs IND 3 years from now? If you're not prepared to give up next year's first, then you just don't love him that much. And in that case, shouldn't even thinking about going up for him. 

All i'm saying is -  If he's the guy, then he's the guy. 

I agree with this logic, but I just don't think he's the guy.  If Money Mac thinks he's the guy, then he should go get him . I don't, so I say leave him be.

The 70% is eye opening and really does make you think if the Jets go get him, Gailey can start him immediately and he won't crumble under pressure.  Obviously don't force him out there, give him a year if needs it but damn it is enticing and I did watch a bunch on him today.  I'm pretty much in!  I voted yes but not absurd crap like the next 2 1sts to get him.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

That's a load sh*t and completely inaccurate.

It's kind of like when you made fun of his Proday performance, BEFORE he had a proday.

A little off topic, but just an FYI.   Neither Detroit nor I are opposed to trading up for a QB.  Last year,  Detroit would've moved up for Jameis and me for Marcus.

I would've supported a deal to go get Wentz or Goff.

Neither of us would select Lynch at #20 if he is there.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

A little off topic, but just an FYI.   Neither Detroit nor I are opposed to trading up for a QB.  Last year,  Detroit would've moved up for Jameis and me for Marcus.

I would've supported a deal to go get Wentz or Goff.

Neither of us would select Lynch at #20 if he is there.

and that's OK... If you genuinely don't like.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

So did I, and I'm not loving Lynch . I can't put my finger on it, but something about him tells me that he's a spot light kid who will get his coach fired .

He's going to end up getting multiple coaches fired the way the hype is going

He's the only guy I'd accept trading up for, although going  into the top 10For him would probably be tol much. That's a good stat and I think we could be an ideal fit for him.

Although I would point out that Fitz was very good under pressure too. For the haters.

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He's the only guy I'd accept trading up for, although going  into the top 10For him would probably be tol much. That's a good stat and I think we could be an ideal fit for him.

Although I would point out that Fitz was very good under pressure too. For the haters.

If he is there at 10 there is a very good possibility he will be there when the Bills pick.  Just have to get in front of them, so the trade up might not cost an arm and a leg.

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If he is there at 10 there is a very good possibility he will be there when the Bills pick.  Just have to get in front of them, so the trade up might not cost an arm and a leg.

That would be the dumbest move ever by the bills.  They can give me Tyrod Taylor if they draft that bust.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I realize this topic has been pounded like a brothel in port-town (on wing night), but the Lynch sweepstakes officially kick off tomorrow morning,  and I can't stress how many times i've pointed to this (and other similar qualities) about this dude...

Despite beating those other two guys in virtually every meaningful category, you people still are "wary" of drafting the guy with:

-the least turnovers
-better completion %
-better under pressure
-better athlete
-better arm talent
-better decision maker
-better size and strength
-better improvement during college
-better fit for our offense

...but that internet man....it says he's so raw... he's just... i mean....he's so raw.

Pax4.gif

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Yes or no... are you on board or not... no fish please. can't flip flop about "only under these conditions"... you're either in or you're out. 

Sounds familiar.

Poise in the Pocket

Smith completed 70.8 percent of his passes when opponents sent five or more pass rushers last season, the highest completion percentage against the blitz of Scouts Inc.’s top eight QB prospects.

Passing vs Blitz
Final College Season

Smith was able to exploit blitzing defenses in much the same way that Robert Griffin III did in his final season of college. Griffin III went on to lead the NFL with a 96.8 Total QBR against the blitz.

Further, Smith was sacked 19 times in 571 dropbacks last season. He was able to scramble for 253 yards when forced out of the pocket as well as complete 49.5 percent of his passes when under duress (avg FBS quarterback completed only 40 percent).

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/63943/what-proscons-come-with-geno-smith

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It would seem that Gailey's offense is the most rookie friendly offense in the NFL. Last year we ran a 80% shotgun single read offense. Even Lynch can learn that. Go get him.

In which case we might already have our future on the roster in Bryce Petty.

having said that I really like Lynch, I just think he's going to go way higher than we can afford to trade up to. I can't agree to selling the farm to go get him because we need pass rushers at OLB just as much as we need a QB not to mention adding talent at WR, RB, S and OL.....we don't have the ammo beyond Mo and there are intriguing QB options in Hackenberg, Brissett and Prescott elsewhere

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Option 3.  DO NOT DRAFT. I think Lynch plays like a coward with happy feet, afraid of getting hit.   His little spiked hairdo and flavor saver facial hair thing are just so hipster though...

Lmaoo yea his hair that's the perfect reason not to draft him

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

In my final mock I have Lynch going to Chicago. I believe they are the big front runners for him(Along with Cleveland and Buffalo IMO) that no one is talking about. They have worked him out privately and have strong interest in him.  As mentioned earlier if we want lynch we would likely have to move into the top 10. 

Lynch sits this year then Chicago can finally get rid of Cutler next year. 

The Chicago Tribune speculates the Bears could target a quarterback in the draft.
Jay Cutler has won over coach John Fox, who called him the "one of the brightest spots" of the Bears' 2015 season, but it still makes sense for Chicago to start planning for the future. The guaranteed money on Cutler's deal runs out after this season, and the 33-year-old has never truly established himself as a top-line starter. Without a solid backup on the roster, it would not be surprising if the Bears decided to grab a quarterback in the middle rounds.

I voted yes. The only issue will be we are going to have to jump up as high as between 4-6. He is not going to fall. I think SF would make a move for him also. I just dont think we have enough to make it happen. I wouldnt be suprised if he is taken at 2 not saying that it will happen but it wouldnt suprise me. No way he is there at 20. He might not make it pass Dallas, I know they say they love Elliot but a QB would be a smart move given Romo's health. He is basically a hard hit away from season ending IR every year.. Moving up to 3 after seeing who the first 2 QB's that get selected is the only way to ensure we get Lynch. It would cost us. I know many will disagree but its just my opinion. I would prefer we moved up to  #11 as 3 is way to steep.

I tend to agree with FTL.  If Lynch makes it past SF & Cle, we should be calling TB & the NYG.  Den and Cle are rumored to be trying to move up in front of the Jets in order to get him.  We can't sit on our hands on this one.

Well, with the current compliment of picks we currently have, I would say it's either OT or edge rusher. Those would be the guys if the Jets were looking for immediate day 1 starters. But if the Jets trade Mo? Then it becomes interesting because there's a good likelihood that the Jets would have an extra 1st rounder at their disposal. If that's the case? Then I would want Lynch and an OT. That would be my ideal 1st rounder.

The fact that there is so much debate over the value of this guy tells me that that you pick him if he is there but do not mortgage the future to move up for him.  This a classic boom or bust case and we all know how those scenarios always seem to play out for the Jets.  

Archived