Freddie Bishop Article

KRL

Good article on Freddie Bishop the CFL OLB we signed.  Interesting that the
defense has to line up a yard off the line of scrimmage in Canada.  Hopefully
the 11 sacks Bishop had up there translates:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/why_freddie_bishop_could_provide_edge-rush_boost_f.html#incart_river_index

FLORHAM PARK — At Freddie Bishop's first Canadian Football League practice, he situated himself along the defensive line, as he normally would. 

"Back up," his coaches told him. 

Bishop wasn't sure what they meant. He had no idea, until this moment, that CFL rules require the defense to line up one yard off the line of scrimmage. 

"I had to change my whole rush patterns up, my rush angles," he said. 

Bishop still managed to thrive with the Calgary Stampeders. The Jets signed him this offseason, and he is participating this weekend in their rookie minicamp. He could be the edge-rushing solution they're looking for. 

The Jets have holes at both outside linebacker spots, with Quinton Coples and Calvin Pace gone. 

Bishop is getting some action as a defensive end (the position he played in the CFL), but he is primarily a weak-side outside linebacker. Though the pass coverage parts of that job are new to him, the edge-rushing duties are quite similar. 

Plus, Bishop now doesn't have to align a yard off the line of scrimmage anymore.

"I'm happy to be back down here, get that yard back," he said Saturday. "To have that yard back is amazing." 

Bishop, 26, is 6-foot-3 and 255 pounds. He went undrafted out of Western Michigan in 2013, was with the Detroit Lions that spring, and then initially landed as a practice squad player in Calgary. He had a team-best 11 sacks last season. 

You have to wonder how many sacks he would've made, if not for that yard-off CFL rule. Bishop declined to speculate.

But he did admit the obvious about the rule: "That hinders defensive linemen, especially a pass rusher." 

With the Jets, he has returned to the more traditional pass-rushing techniques he used in college. Except now, because of his time in the CFL rushing from a yard off, he has a more diverse skill set. 

"You have to use your hands a lot more [as a CFL pass rusher]," he said. "That's going to give me the advantage and give me more [of a] skill set coming back down here." 

Bishop almost always rushed from a stand-up position in the CFL, which is what he's doing now (a two-point stance). So that part of his NFL transition is "nothing new to me," he said, as he moves from defensive end to outside linebacker. 

"Playing will [weak-side linebacker], it's pretty much playing the stand-up defensive end, what I was doing the last three years up in Canada," he said. "It's just rushing the edge. The only thing now is, I'm doing a little bit more coverage." 

As for his strengths, Bishop said, "Just speed off the edge. I have good hands. I'm able to get the edge on guys well." 

Could Bishop find a role on the Jets' defense, considering their needs at outside linebacker? 

"They told me the chances were good," Bishop said of the feedback the Jets offered when they signed him. "They told me it was going to be an opportunity." 

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Must give the Qb an extra second and Bishop still had 11 sacks. Anxious to see him against the vets.

If it takes him 1 second to move one yard, what's his 40 time? :)

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Its more about letting the OL get his feet under him and getting into position 

Wisenheimer.

Once he gets a head of steam up, he's surely good for a sub-20 forty. :D  The good news is, with the running start he should be able to knock Brady into kingdom come.  Seriously, I have high hopes for Bishop.

The one yard off the ball is not that big of a handicap.  It is made up by the fact that the TE is pretty well dead in the CFL as a position so you are not facing guys chipping you all the time.  If you want to talk about the big differences between the CFL and NFL,

- Field is 15 yards wider, outs to the wide side of the field really test QB's arms.

- Field is 10 yards longer

-  A big one, endzones are 20 yards deep.

- 20 second play clock, you better be in shape.

- 12 players instead of 11.

- Tons of pre snap motion in the CFL

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The one yard off the ball is not that big of a handicap.  It is made up by the fact that the TE is pretty well dead in the CFL as a position so you are not facing guys chipping you all the time.  If you want to talk about the big differences between the CFL and NFL,

- Field is 15 yards wider, outs to the wide side of the field really test QB's arms.

I rememberPre-snap FORWARD motion is allowed ...WRs had a running start at the snap!! ! Ha! Is that still allowed?

15 hours ago, Shadetree said:

I rememberPre-snap FORWARD motion is allowed ...WRs had a running start at the snap!! ! Ha! Is that still allowed?

Yes that is still allowed, a rule I have always hated to be honest, the receivers are offside about half the friggin time.

On 2016-05-08 at 8:06 PM, Maxman said:

I never knew that 1 yard rule in the CFL. Interesting.

Yes....they must be a yard back from the LOS, and the receivers get running motion toward the line pre-snap.  With the additional yardage both wide and length, it makes for a more open game. 

On May 8, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Beerfish said:

Left a big one off your list.

- 3 downs to get 10 yards instead of 4

Freddie Bishop hopes Canadian Football League experience leads to Jets opportunity

• Colin Stephenson, Special to ESPN.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- After two successful seasons in the Canadian Football League, Freddie Bishop is looking forward to playing in the NFL this season with the New York Jets.

“The CFL, it’s a lot of fun,’’ said Bishop, a 6-foot-3, 255-pound outside linebacker who played collegiately at Western Michigan. “It’s a different game of ball up there, things are a little different, it’s a little faster game. I’m happy to be back down here, I’m happy to get that yard back.’’

The yard he’s referring to is where defensive linemen are allowed to line up. In the NFL, linemen line up even with the edge of the football. Not so in Canada.

“Up there, you’ve got to be a yard off the ball, so that hinders a defensive lineman, especially a pass-rusher,’’ the 26-year-old explained. “So being back down here, it’s good to get that edge back and kind of even up the playing field.’’

Even playing a yard off the ball, Bishop managed 11 sacks for the Calgary Stampeders last season, plus another in the CFL playoffs. That number was enough to get the attention of Jets and several other NFL teams.

“I don’t know if you compare the number [to the NFL], but 11 sacks is 11 sacks,’’ Jets coach Todd Bowles said. “I was in Miami when Cameron Wakegot there, and we took him from Canada. Sometimes it takes a couple guys some time to develop, and you can develop over there and then come back over here and be good players, or you can develop over there and have a career over there. So hopefully, we saw some things in Freddie, not just the sacks, but as far as him playing the position and knowing how to play the position that made him endearing to us and make us want to sign him.’’

Bishop chose to sign with the Jets because he felt “a good vibe’’ from Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan and because the team, which parted ways with veteran rush linebacker Calvin Pace after last season, offered him the opportunity to earn playing time.

Bishop said he played mostly as a stand-up defensive end in Canada, so playing as a rush outside linebacker in the Jets’ 3-4 defense should be similar. He said the primary thing he’ll bring to the Jets is speed off the edge.

“I have good hands; I’m able to get the edge on guys well, and I play to my toolbox,’’ he said. “I don’t try to go outside of my toolbox. I know things that I do well and that’s what I do.’’

Archived