Brandon Marshall defends Fitz, swipes back at Bart Scott

AFJF

54 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you seriously think the Jets can compete for a playoff position in 2016? If you do, all the best wishes to you.

Just one question, is it more important competing for the 6th playoff seed in 2016 or finding out if you have a franchise QB for the next 10+ years?

Yes, it is more important to compete for the playoffs, than to see if we have a franchise QB. If we have a franchise QB, we'll know it with Fitz on the team it not.

yes, I do believe hey can compete for the playoffs in 2016.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

first off they don't owe us anything.

second, fitz is not the difference btw competitive and top 5 pick.  you'd rather waste money by overpaying Fitz to win 7-8 games than save cap space for the future w/ geno and win 6-7?

well have to disagree on what the team owes the fans. I am of the belief they owe us a competitive team. Won't budge on that one.

re your second point. I know Fitz ain't a tier 1 QB, but I believe, and I wouldn't be shocked, we can win 10-11 games. 

If Geno won more than 5 games, I'd be pretty shocked. Fitz gives us a chance against long odds to win 10-11 games...Geno? No way.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

The Jets will be playing a bunch of good defensive teams with winning records this year.

How has Fitz done (including his "great year" last season) against teams like that in his career?

what was penny boy wonders record against top 10 defense again? lol

6 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i mean he did fumble the ball which was immediately returned for a touchdown.......he was just as culpable as the defense

he did but he was blindsided on that play and it sure looked like a pass.  that play didn't kill us as crazy as it sounds.  if he doesn't fumble we are punting from deep in our end and Pitt likely scores at least a FG(if not a TD) and we are down 20-0 going into the half.  as it happened they took the 24-0 lead but we went right down the field for the Fg and were down 21 so basically same difference.

1 hour ago, 77DRAFT said:

Exactly, why would any body ever sign, or draft, an interception machine ?  15 dropped int. last season.

are dropped interceptions like

almost wins?

just missed tackles?

near touchdowns?

very close missed field goals?

well have to disagree on what the team owes the fans. I am of the belief they owe us a competitive team. Won't budge on that one.

re your second point. I know Fitz ain't a tier 1 QB, but I believe, and I wouldn't be shocked, we can win 10-11 games. 

If Geno won more than 5 games, I'd be pretty shocked. Fitz gives us a chance against long odds to win 10-11 games...Geno? No way.

Fair enough Shad.

Obviously, we disagree.

8 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Imo the main point Marshall made is there's no reason to assume that Fitzpatrick takes a step back next season.  I agree.

On the flipside based on his entire career there's no reason to expect Fitz to take a step forward either.

39 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Come on necky, you know I respect your opinion.

I don't need Max bitch-slapping me back down.

It was a serious question.....you used to know. The situation is similar in that Pennington had a much harder time when the defenses were good. I don't think fitz wins 6 games this year if he's the qb

3 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Jets fans always have "one play" where they would have defeated the Pats. The reality of the situation is the Jets are 2-8 against the Pats in the most recent 10 games played.

Fitz does not give the Jets the best chance to make the playoffs. He'd be very lucky to win 5-7 games this year.

Jets need to start Geno for the first 3 games and then bring in Hack and see if he is the real deal or not.

Just like the Pats fans have one play where they would have beat the Giants in the SB. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Yea!!!!

Fitz beat the Pats 3rd stringers in overtime.

Did you squirt more over that game or when the Jets won the Snoopy Bowl?

What was even more satisfying about that win is that your resident genius HC gift wrapped the game for us. I can't imagine the backlash if a Jets HC had done the same thing against the Pats. 

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I like Fitz...which is why I've said the Jets should tell him to take a hike if $11 million isn't enough to get it done.  Let the other QB's fight it out, and hope like hell that Hack is the best of the three.

a

I think Fitz would pounce on $11mil. He's worth what Hoyer is worth, maybe a little more cuz he set 64 club records. And please don't throw the Chase Daniel salary figures. Fitz has peaked n he's worth a borderline starter at best. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

I think Fitz would pounce on $11mil. He's worth what Hoyer is worth, maybe a little more cuz he set 64 club records. And please don't throw the Chase Daniel salary figures. Fitz has peaked n he's worth a borderline starter at best. 

Uh huh

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Here's the thing  about having WR's that go after the football on some errant throws. The Jets NEVER had that type of guy the last 17 years other than Keyshawn Johnson. I have been screaming for that big possession type WR for a long time, as a matter of fact, I wanted the Jets to go after Brandon Marshall when the Bears got him 5 years ago.

You can't make a claim like the QB is doing well now because he has Good WR's because most if not all of the elite QB's in the NFL ALWAYS have good to great WR's nobody does it on their own without help.

As great as Aaron Rodgers is do you think he's in the conversation if he's throwing to Clyde Gates and Chaz Shillens  and pussy ass Dustin Keller with no RB's to catch the football ? Do you think any of the Elite QB's out there are ? Do you think Drew Brees puts up 5k yards if he's not dumping the ball to his RB's at a 150 Reception clip every year ? Think there was a reason Brees had so many options with 4 RB's all capable of catching the football ?

The Jets have been a hot joke at the WR/TE/RB position for a very long time. While they have had some decent players at the positions they have never been balanced and they never had a big guy who would go fearlessly in traffic to catch the football. Most of your elite QB's know they can put the ball in an area and their top WR can go up and make a play for them and quite honestly the Jets never had that either other than Maybe Braylon Edwards but we promptly dumped him after 2 good years here.

The way this football team has handled QB's has been right up there with the worst teams in the NFL up until Macc who came in and signed Brandon Marshall but somehow for Jets fans this is a negative for the QB. I mean how dare you get good players to complement your QB .

We all knew when the Jets signed Decker who happens to be a damn good WR that it would not really work unless he had a good complement on the other side once we got that complement everything changed and in a big way and Decker is right back where he was when he had Peyton Manning throwing him the ball. Why? Because they had numerous weapons for Peyton to work with.

The Jets finally got a QB who gets rid of the ball quick, steps up into the pocket, avoids sacks has a good TD/INT ratio. knows how to throw and disguise a screen pass,. and does not fumble yet still find the time to complain.

Thank you...Thank you... Thank you!!!!

Jets fans are often delusional. 

The Derrick Masons, and Plex's of the world were not quality players when the Jets acquired them and the Jets have been relying on these jokers to be pulled up by QB play. 

Well NO ONE could pull that crew of motley fools up, and all I can say is thank goodness the current GM understands you must have talent on offense to win in today's NFL.........

5 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Scott had no problem cashing in and being a below mediocre player

Agreed, I get he's apart of the media, but he should STFU about another player's contract situation.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Isn't that the worst?  When a scrub QB plays a few good games and gets a huge contract, only to end up a back-up jorneyman who lives off of the few good moments he had in the infancy of his career?  Man, I hate that.

Mark Sanchez.jpg

Sanchez might just get the last laugh this year.  He is tailor made for Kubiak, and then the support of the best defense in the AFC, he might get another crack at that AFCCG, and possibly this time at home.

I think and think and I just don't understand? What do fans think we can do with a player that is worried about his salary over his team. Have you guys looked at our cap space. Have you noticed that Pats players supposedly are taking less money to help their team. I don't buy that pay cut by all the players in New England but I will leave that to the league to investigate. The fact is we do not have the money to even entertain giving Fitz his desired salary. We still have the rookies to sign and there are holes we need to try to address with free agents still available. I am being completely honest in my opinion of the chances that we sign Fitz to anything close to 10 mil. We have over payed for too many players in my opinion due to past GM's and Big Mac inherited their mistakes. So yes, slim to none for Fitz in my opinion.  ?????image.png

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Here's the thing  about having WR's that go after the football on some errant throws. The Jets NEVER had that type of guy the last 17 years other than Keyshawn Johnson. I have been screaming for that big possession type WR for a long time, as a matter of fact, I wanted the Jets to go after Brandon Marshall when the Bears got him 5 years ago.

You can't make a claim like the QB is doing well now because he has Good WR's because most if not all of the elite QB's in the NFL ALWAYS have good to great WR's nobody does it on their own without help.

As great as Aaron Rodgers is do you think he's in the conversation if he's throwing to Clyde Gates and Chaz Shillens  and pussy ass Dustin Keller with no RB's to catch the football ? Do you think any of the Elite QB's out there are ? Do you think Drew Brees puts up 5k yards if he's not dumping the ball to his RB's at a 150 Reception clip every year ? Think there was a reason Brees had so many options with 4 RB's all capable of catching the football ?

The Jets have been a hot joke at the WR/TE/RB position for a very long time. While they have had some decent players at the positions they have never been balanced and they never had a big guy who would go fearlessly in traffic to catch the football. Most of your elite QB's know they can put the ball in an area and their top WR can go up and make a play for them and quite honestly the Jets never had that either other than Maybe Braylon Edwards but we promptly dumped him after 2 good years here.

The way this football team has handled QB's has been right up there with the worst teams in the NFL up until Macc who came in and signed Brandon Marshall but somehow for Jets fans this is a negative for the QB. I mean how dare you get good players to complement your QB .

We all knew when the Jets signed Decker who happens to be a damn good WR that it would not really work unless he had a good complement on the other side once we got that complement everything changed and in a big way and Decker is right back where he was when he had Peyton Manning throwing him the ball. Why? Because they had numerous weapons for Peyton to work with.

The Jets finally got a QB who gets rid of the ball quick, steps up into the pocket, avoids sacks has a good TD/INT ratio. knows how to throw and disguise a screen pass,. and does not fumble yet still find the time to complain.

Great points. Here's Brandon Marshall's top 10. This dude time and time again bailed out the QB...just like an all-pro WR is supposed to do. His best play of the season was an absolute duck errant throw that he turned into a touchdown. Zach Sudfeld, David Nelson and Chaz Shillens wasnt going to do this for Fitzpatrick. 'til this day people are stll mad at Sudfeld because of his lack of competitiveness that contributed to an INT in a Packers game 2 years ago. Imagine being the QB that has that type of mentality for targets. Putting all pro talent and good coaching around an average QB's is how you can maximize what you get from the QB position. Today we simply talk about how many TD's Fitz had and how he broke a Jets record, however, going back and seeing them, you really see how having particular talent really provided a great portion of those TD's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfTgSY3ve3g

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Great points. Here's Brandon Marshall's top 10. This dude time and time again bailed out the QB...just like an all-pro WR is supposed to do. His best play of the season was an absolute duck errant throw that he turned into a touchdown. Zach Sudfeld, David Nelson and Chaz Shillens wasnt going to do this for Fitzpatrick. 'til this day people are stll mad at Sudfeld because of his lack of competitiveness that contributed to an INT in a Packers game 2 years ago. Imagine being the QB that has that type of mentality for targets. Putting all pro talent and good coaching around an average QB's is how you can maximize what you get from the QB position. Today we simply talk about how many TD's Fitz had and how he broke a Jets record, however, going back and seeing them, you really see how having particular talent really provided a great portion of those TD's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfTgSY3ve3g

Very true Villain but as a fan I expect to have players that play that way as should the QB. They all make errant throws they all throw off the back foot at times and under throw and in those situations you expect your WR's to step up. We never had that until this year and we waited long enough.

Now with that being said keep in mind Fitz had 23 TD's in the red zone with only 1 INT his Ints came at times they did not hurt the team and they came in big part at mid field or better and that's when a Smart QB takes his shots or chances. These stats don't show up much in the box score but they have meaning to the team.

I've seen many posts on this forum bashing Fitz for his demands but he's not looking to get 16 or 18 mil he's playing the age old game any competent Agent will tell his client to do. He's trying to get a few more million. Just like Fitz is unrealistic for asking for 18 mil the jets are unrealistic trying to pay 7 mil. The fans need to calm down because in the end Fitz will probably sign in the 10 mil range and give us a few good years while our young QB's develop. All the over blown crap on both sides of this argument need to stop because in the end they meet somewhere in the middle and get the job done.

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

if the D plays like a big time D in the title games they easily could have won 2 Super Bowls.  The QB did not hold us back.

Why do I remember the offense going in the tank against the Colts after Shonn Greene went down? I'm trying to remember how many points they scored after halftime...

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Very true Villain but as a fan I expect to have players that play that way as should the QB. They all make errant throws they all throw off the back foot at times and under throw and in those situations you expect your WR's to step up. We never had that until this year and we waited long enough.

Now with that being said keep in mind Fitz had 23 TD's in the red zone with only 1 INT his Ints came at times they did not hurt the team and they came in big part at mid field or better and that's when a Smart QB takes his shots or chances. These stats don't show up much in the box score but they have meaning to the team.

I've seen many posts on this forum bashing Fitz for his demands but he's not looking to get 16 or 18 mil he's playing the age old game any competent Agent will tell his client to do. He's trying to get a few more million. Just like Fitz is unrealistic for asking for 18 mil the jets are unrealistic trying to pay 7 mil. The fans need to calm down because in the end Fitz will probably sign in the 10 mil range and give us a few good years while our young QB's develop. All the over blown crap on both sides of this argument need to stop because in the end they meet somewhere in the middle and get the job done.

Unfortunately I think this is where many of us tend to stray. Fitz did have 23 TD's in the redzone and only 1 Int in the redzone. But I will have to respectfully disagree about those INT's not really hurting the team. Fitz threw 15 ints on the year and in 4 of the 16 games he threw multiple picks. In every game that Fitzpatrick threw 2 or more int's the Jets lost the game. 

I will say this though, because you're supporting your case while at the same time being fair and realistic, the first multiple INT game wasnt Fitz fault. Only 1 of his 3 ints were really on him when you look at the game. As a sidenote, you can say this same type of thing about quite a few of his TD's. So, the fact that I dont want to cherry pick TD's I will also not cherry pick INT's. I just wanted you to atleast know that, but anyway. Its hard for me to agree with the notion that many of his INT's didnt come in a way that hurt the team yet 10 of his 15 INT's came in a losing effort (3 vs Phi, 2 vs Buf, 2 vs Hou, 3 vs Buf). Also, the 1 redzone INT....his only one, came in the biggest game of the season and the most inopportune time, staring down Eric Decker while at the same time not noticing that McKelvin is telegraphing the pass. McKelvin probably watched tape and realized that in the redzone we ran that same slant pattern with Decker from all over the field the entire season. It is Fitz job, in a situation with playoffs is on the line to not stare down his receiver, but if he did recognize the fact that the DB is on to him and not throw the football. So I would have to disagree with the int's not hurting the team. 66% of Fitz INT's were in a losing effort and the Jets lost 100% of all games where Fitz threw multiple picks. ..

When you watch the games you can tell how good of a football team the Jets had, in comparison to years prior. More often than not they were running on all cylinders...and when that occurred we were good enough to even compete against the Pats. The problem here, and why I feel like Fitz was not worth that money, is that you can win games with Fitz as your QB, but you cant win because of Fitz. Some would argue, "what about that comeback game against the Giants?" I would say that the offense shouldnt have only came alive with 6 mins left in the 4th quarter and only after Tom Coughlin made a terrible mistake to go for it on 4th down instead of taking the fg and put the Giants up 23-10. The Fitzpatrick led Jets offense was stonewalled by a 31st ranked Giants defense and was only in this game because Tom Coughlin messed up on two crucial decisions in the 4th quarter which would have put the game out of reach for the Jets, only if Coughlin would have just taken the points. Instead it helped the Jets push the game into OT (Though the Giants only scored 20 pts) and the Jets won because the Giants kicker missed a 48 yard fieldgoal. In othewords, the Giants literally gave away the game yet we had to go into overtime just to secure it....and the Giants had 2 opportunities in the 4th to put the game away along with a missed field goal in OT. Thats not really winning because of your QB like many like to call it. That was more....being lucky that we won a game that we should have lost on 2 different occassions in the 4th quarter because when we're not hitting on all cylinders we cant depend on Fitz to "will" the win. 

With that being said I have to respectfully say that when someone says that offering 7 million to a QB, lets say....10 million for example. I expect that we have a QB that is making that type of money to "will" a couple games a year in order to make the playoffs. Not throwing your first redzone INT in a must win game in week 17, not throwing 3 INT's in the fourth qtr in a must win week 17 game. I can give him the benefit of the doubt in that Eagles game, however I cant do that when you throw for less than 200 yards per game along with 5 INT's combined in both Buffalo games. And because of that, I personally cant agree on giving a guy 10 million dollars when I know that if things are not running on all cylinders that I wont be able to depend on this QB to compensate for when special teams gives up a TD or when the defense allows a team to score just 21 points (Fitz was 1-6 against teams who scored 21 or more points last season and lost 92% of the games the last 4 seasons combined. Yes....92% based on just 21 or more points). You dont pay Fitz that money when he's, for the most part, a beneficiary of the talent around him. The plays themselves tell the story. 

Add to the fact that you can see how much of his statistical success was heavily contributed to his pro bowl/all pro wideouts. 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

The difference being you are praising Fitzpatrick for being the beneficiary of the plays made by another. Or for others even playing competently around him. What would a weak throw in the turf be if not for Marshall? And incomplete pass and a punt instead of a TD. What about a throw 2 yards off in the EZ that requires an unplanned sharp right turn by the WR at the last second? Another incomplete pass and a punt or FG instead of a TD. What would a back-shoulder EZ throw be if throwing to Clyde Gates or Stephen Hill? Incomplete passes that look like they're 2 yards off & way over the receiver's head, and the Jets settle for a FG. All followed by boos and calling the QB a bum & wondering where the hell he was throwing that to. Even if the exact same throws were made.

That last play in the clip, even Fitzpatrick couldn't believe what happened. He knew he threw a weak piece of garbage incomplete pass that died in the air, 1-2 yards wide, possibly as much as 3-4 yards wide and on the wrong side of Marshall's body outright (in addition to being 2 yards low) if it was the backshoulder play design it appears, and there are may not be 10 guys in the league who would turn that into a TD. More than 10 have the talent & physical ability, but how many would do it without warning, in that exact situation where they're expecting the ball so far from where it went? Very few.

This is why I think his praise of so many is so misdirected, to the extent some wave off "just Marshall" as the "only" difference from 1 year to the next, as though it's not very significant, and why I think Fitz's #1 asset is the leadership he brings rather than what he does on the field (in particular contrast to the immaturity/doucheyness of you know). Without such WRs, in such favorable conditions, what happens to Fitzpatrick? He gets benched and/or the team move on from him, like the rest of his career. That hardly distinguishes Fitz as the must-have asset in the situation. At least the Jets finally have a GM that realizes it this time around.

It's not overblown crap on both sides. The Jets have been generous with his value, in being the highest bidder on planet earth, and in fact to offer him a contract at all (I think he'd have had multiple offers if he was willing to accept $5M-ish). 

And lastly, bite your tongue at the idea of Fitzpatrick starting here for 3 more years. What a pessimistic view of our future.

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Up until the last paragraph, I pretty much agree. The part I disagree is Fitz being a good QB. He's not. He played against 13 of the 16 worst passing Ds. That's almost unheard of. Besides passing yards n TDs, Fitz was right at the bottom 5 for every other category. 

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Why do I remember the offense going in the tank against the Colts after Shonn Greene went down? I'm trying to remember how many points they scored after halftime...

They did go in the tank after Greene went down.  we had no threat of a run game as Jones was shot and 2 premiere pass rushers in a  dome against a rookie QB but that O had given the D a double digit lead against one of the all time chokers at QB and they couldn't even keep it close, Indy could have scored a lot more but chose to be conservative late in the game.

22 hours ago, AFJF said:

If you were upset to see him win 10 games last season because you spent months telling everyone he'd never win more than six games then you would be hoping so hard for a flop next season that you'd be predicting it too.

WHo is talking about paying Fitz all that he is apparently asking for?

Beyond that the Jets can make room for a competitive salary for their starting Qb or they are in a bigger mess than most here think.

14 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

On the flipside based on his entire career there's no reason to expect Fitz to take a step forward either.

IF he plays at the same level as last year, what other current options are available to the Jets, reasonably available, that are even that good?

Can't think of any.

10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Sanchez might just get the last laugh this year.  He is tailor made for Kubiak, and then the support of the best defense in the AFC, he might get another crack at that AFCCG, and possibly this time at home.

What is the relevance to this thread?  None I cant think of.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Up until the last paragraph, I pretty much agree. The part I disagree is Fitz being a good QB. He's not. He played against 13 of the 16 worst passing Ds. That's almost unheard of. Besides passing yards n TDs, Fitz was right at the bottom 5 for every other category. 

Is this merely a statement of what you think, or did you even try to verify the accuracy of your statement?

Let's try ypa.  Fitzpatrick was at 6.9.  Qb's with worse ypa numbers include Flacco, P Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Kaepernick, Luck, Foles, and oh yeah Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith (I know they were not starters, but still).  So what you said there was obviously wrong.  Why did you do that?

How about Qb rating?  Those with over 250 attempts with worse ratiings include Osweiler, Bradford, Gabbert, Winston, Hasselbeck, Flacco, Luck, Foles and P Manning.  You were wrong there, too.

You are also technically off for comp %, although I will also add at 59.6 Fitzpatrick was only 2/10ths behind league MVP Cam Newton.

And also for yards per game he was ahead of Cutler, Newton, Rodgers, Hoyer, Bridgewater, Mariota, P. Manning, Taylor, Hasselbeck, and Foles.

I obviously think your statement is inaccurate.  Did you make any attempt to check it before you posted?

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

In addition to your errors regarding the relative stats on Fitzpatrick versus other Qb's, analysis indicates your statement about opponents' team D rating is also misleading.  I am not sure what stat you cherry picked there, but let's look at Qb ratings.

Of the 16 games the Jets played, the following were in the top half of team rankings: New England (twice), Buffalo (twice), Houston, Oakland, and Indianapolis.  And all NFC East opponents were outside the bottom ten.  Worst passing D's?   I don't think so.

For Int's, the following were in the top half for most: Buffalo (twice), Indianapolis, Giants, Eagles, Houston,  and Oakland.  Only Jville and Dallas had less than the 11 recorded by those ranked at 21.

For ypa, those ranked in the half for lowest included Houston, Oakland, Buffalo (twice), Philly, New England (twice).  About half in other words in the top half.

On Comp % the following were all in the lowest (best) half: Buffalo (twice), Houston, Colts, New England (twice), Philly, Redskins, Oakland, Cleveland and Tenn.

Again I don't know what stat you were using, but all the above important stats are contrary to your claim that Fitzpatrick played against weak passing defenses.

Archived