Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think Mac can probably scout, I also think he thinks he can just buy an offense when we eventually don't have one and that's what scares me. We already know he's willing to go Tannenbaum with the cheap picks for expensive vets philosophy. If he pushes that even one step further we're in for a full-on repeat of 2011-2014.

The real problem here is Woody, he refuses to rebuild the right way, with the right people in place.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look Fitz is above being a game manager but not a franchise Qb. And that's good enough to win in the NFL. His turnover ratio was better than 2-1. If you want to give credit to his key receivers ok but they are both on record as loving playing with this guy. They have great communication and that's essential. There is no one on the open market available better than he is. He deserves imo lower starter's money. The market for starting Qbs is very expensive. To get him for 1/15 of your salary cap is a good deal for the Jets. 

I'm honestly not sure what "game manager" means...but my best guess is, it's a QB that is not the reason a team wins, but counts on the defense and special teams to create wins.  If that's correct, then I'm not sure where else you can place Fitz.

Honestly, it's not personal...but he has a very limited skill set for an NFL QB.  It is what it is...

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm honestly not sure what "game manager" means...but my best guess is, it's a QB that is not the reason a team wins, but counts on the defense and special teams to create wins.  If that's correct, then I'm not sure where else you can place Fitz.

Honestly, it's not personal...but he has a very limited skill set for an NFL QB.  It is what it is...

Imo it's a non star Qb who is competent and can run an offense. So what I'm saying is that you don't need a star Qb to win games. Fitz in 2015 was better than that and one of the better starting Qbs in the NFL. Our offense was capable and won games. It was our best offense in years for a multitude of reasons but Fitz was high on the list. Why disassemble that it makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think Mac can probably scout, I also think he thinks he can just buy an offense when we eventually don't have one and that's what scares me. We already know he's willing to go Tannenbaum with the cheap picks for expensive vets philosophy. If he pushes that even one step further we're in for a full-on repeat of 2011-2014.

So far his cheap picks for expensive vets have worked out very well, they have not been too expensive to date, Fitz was pretty cheap last year, and Marshall for what we got out of him was a good price as well. Its going to take some time to build a sustainable franchise here. The drafting and player development was absolutely awful for about 6 years, its going to take time to restock the cupboard, and there was pressure on him to win quickly. It was a very bad position, and winning last year while fun, probably set the team back a few years in the long run, and will probably ultimately lead to his firing.

1 hour ago, Goinggreen said:

They just guaranteed 12 million in year one. 12 mil a year would be the dumbest thing management can do. He is not a post season QB, he will not get us into the post season!!!  ?

Which is why I pose the question, "why even resign him"? Most of the arguments in favor of Fitz is based on the comparison to Geno. I don't see anyone stating their belief that signing him to 12 million would make us a playoff caliber team. 

It's one thing to compare players, but when we're talking money amounts then it's about value. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick really a 12-18 million dollar quarterback? I anticipate responses such as " If the GM is offering that, then..." , well I'm not asking him. Fans have an opinion, I'd like to know would Jets fans be comfortable paying such a price ONLY to be better than Geno Smith. I look at 12 million as " this guy is the piece needed to get to the playoffs". Anything less than that is foolish because it requires you to sit 3 qb's all under rookie contracts, with one in particular in a contract year. Personal feelings about a player aside, this is how you squander talent. 

The fact that I hear more comparisons to Geno than I do about Playoff aspirations when taking into account the price,  says a lot. Sooner or later the Fitzpatrick narrative has to change into what he can actually provide in order make a playoff run, now that this is no longer comparison talk but about 12 million or more that seems to be a confirmed amount that he actually rejected. "Is he worth his asking price" should be the question.

1 hour ago, Goinggreen said:

They just guaranteed 12 million in year one. 12 mil a year would be the dumbest thing management can do. He is not a post season QB, he will not get us into the post season!!!  ?

not that it matters, but where did you get the 12m "guaranteed" from. just curious because I havnt heard it.

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Which is why I pose the question, "why even resign him"? Most of the arguments in favor of Fitz is based on the comparison to Geno. I don't see anyone stating their belief that signing him to 12 million would make us a playoff caliber team. 

It's one thing to compare players, but when we're talking money amounts then it's about value. Is Ryan Fitzpatrick really a 12-18 million dollar quarterback? I anticipate responses such as " If the GM is offering that, then..." , well I'm not asking him. Fans have an opinion, I'd like to know would Jets fans be comfortable paying such a price ONLY to be better than Geno Smith. I look at 12 million as " this guy is the piece needed to get to the playoffs". Anything less than that is foolish because it requires you to sit 3 qb's all under rookie contracts, with one in particular in a contract year. Personal feelings about a player aside, this is how you squander talent. 

The fact that I hear more comparisons to Geno than I do about Playoff aspirations when taking into account the price,  says a lot. Sooner or later the Fitzpatrick narrative has to change into what he can actually provide in order make a playoff run, now that this is no longer comparison talk but about 12 million or more that seems to be a confirmed amount that he actually rejected. "Is he worth his asking price" should be the question.

I hold that belief. the jets were a few bad plays away from an 11 win, playoff bound season. nothing changes this year. so what, the schedule is tougher this year. the schedule has very little mathematical chance as being as hard as expected. I fully expect another 10 win season. I think fitz is the best option.. fitz will be back. I want mac to sign him as cheap as he can. I wont set a cap of an acceptable dollar amount. that's the gm's job at the end of the day. short year deals don't set franchises back. what sets franchises back is going with a cheaper alternative rather than the best option at important positions.. mac see's that. he aint worried about short term money. if you are wrapped up in your beliefs and would rather be right(not saying that's the deal) I think you are going to be disappointed this year. call me crazy, tell me to lay off the sauce or pass the blunt, but I have a strong feeling the jets are going to be better than you think this year. but to answer your question, since I think this jets team is playoff caliber,if it takes 12m guaranteed for the 1st year of the contract to get fitz thru the door, I wont be too crazy about the dollar amount, but you wont hear me bitchin too much either

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Count on special teams to create wins? Surely you can't be referring to last season.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

They are extending the status quo if they sign this mutt for 12M.

One step further.... even if he doesnt sign (foolish on his part) management just wanting to sign him tells me nothing has changed in Jetland.

Can you give us your plan for the Jets to move the franchise forward, and how not signing him gets us down the right path? I'd love to jump on board, I just don't see the path. Mac has drafted a strong armed QB each of the two years, and there is enough talent on the team to prevent a finish bad enough for a top 5 draft pick. It appears to me that Mac is trying to reload, which is going to take time given years and years of awful drafting and zero player development, but at the same time trying to keep a rabid fan base from buying billboards to have his head removed. 

12 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

The real problem here is Woody, he refuses to rebuild the right way, with the right people in place.

It's a combo of Woody and the fans. As horrid as Woody is, I think he tried to support a rebuild with Idzik, but once he saw billboards going up, he quickly caved. Idzik was awful and needed to go, but I am pretty certain that he hired Mac and told him to be in win now mode, this fan base is the absolute worst

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

Charles Robinson of Yahoo.com sent out a tweet earlier today divulging further details on the contract negotiations between the New York Jets and free agent quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.  The Jets’ current offer is reportedly for a total of $24 million over three seasons.

If correct, this answers the question many Jets fans have been asking in recent days, and that’s “what does the full deal look like” as previous reports only addressed the first season of the day.

The last remaining question is how much of the $24 million is guaranteed.  If and when the sides come to terms, we’ll have our answer.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-3dhHcPTjYE

Click here to read the full story...

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sign it Fitz...throw in some incentives if he ends up playing regularly in yrs 2 and 3.

that's not a good deal for Fitzpatrick. he is looking at it as a 1 year deal. no wonder it hasn't been signed yet. it obviously fits into what the jets plans are, not fitzpatricks

Just now, ylekram said:

that's not a good deal for Fitzpatrick. he is looking at it as a 1 year deal. no wonder it hasn't been signed yet. it obviously fits into what the jets plans are, not fitzpatricks

Then make it $12 mil guaranteed for this season with player option for years 2-3 with salary based in playing time.  He's gotta know that this is the only place he gets an audition to possibly get a starting gig next year elsewhere.  Let's face it, if one of the 3 kids doesn't show something, he might be the starter again next yr.

Just now, AFJF said:

Then make it $12 mil guaranteed for this season with player option for years 2-3 with salary based in playing time.  He's gotta know that this is the only place he gets an audition to possibly get a starting gig next year elsewhere.  Let's face it, if one of the 3 kids doesn't show something, he might be the starter again next yr.

I can agree with that. but the way it sits, if you were Fitzpatrick, would you sign that deal?

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Sign it Fitz...throw in some incentives if he ends up playing regularly in yrs 2 and 3.

Definitely. Something like a 10 mil bonus for making the playoffs every year. God knows, he ain't reaching that. 

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

this I don't really agree with,tho. if for some odd reason, fitz has another good season, another team might give him a look. maybe not for 12m, but probably better than 6m

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Then just give him the one year alone for the 12 mil then. And then let him walk. 

6 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Trust me Mark, that's twice his value and that too, he's being offered in a dead market where no one else wants him. 

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I can agree with that. but the way it sits, if you were Fitzpatrick, would you sign that deal?

If I don't have a better deal on the table...yes.

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

this I don't really agree with,tho. if for some odd reason, fitz has another good season, another team might give him a look. maybe not for 12m, but probably better than 6m

I think we're agreeing.  That was my comment.  One year as a starter here gives him a year to show somebody else he's good enough to start elsewhere.  That's why I say make yrs 2 and 3 player options.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Trust me Mark, that's twice his value and that too, he's being offered in a dead market where no one else wants him. 

that's the problem. I don't trust you on this subject. fitz is worth more than 6m to the jets. especially year 1. the contract definitely benfits the jets as the plan would be to start fitz year 1 and have one of the rookies start year 2. regardless of if you or I think Fitzpatrick is a starting qb, I am sure Fitzpatrick thinks he is. hence, the 6m per backup money in years 2 and 3 is the reason fitz wont sign the contract

Just now, ylekram said:

fitz most likely doesn't want to sign a 1 year deal,tho. would you?

I don't think so either. Like most players he wants security and guaranteed money. But he also doesn't want a low ball deal like this which ties him to backup money in years 2 and 3. 

Just now, ylekram said:

that's the problem. I don't trust you on this subject. fitz is worth more than 6m to the jets. especially year 1. the contract definitely benfits the jets as the plan would be to start fitz year 1 and have one of the rookies start year 2. regardless of if you or I think Fitzpatrick is a starting qb, I am sure Fitzpatrick thinks he is. hence, the 6m per backup money in years 2 and 3 is the reason fitz wont sign the contract

If you're Fitz and you see that Nick Foles, a 3rd string QB, is slated to make $13.5 million along with what some of the other inferior QB's are making, you better believe he thinks he's worth more than that, and he's right.

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

It's all about supply and demand. There's literally zero demand besides the Jets. Who are they bidding against? Fitz definitely isn't retiring knowing very well he can make $12mil this year. If he sits out, he's not getting the mega bucks he hopes for next year. 

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think we're agreeing.  That was my comment.  One years as a starter here gives him a year to show somebody else he's good enough to start elsewhere.  That's why I say make yrs 2 and 3 player options.

No way it can go player option. , We'll be doing this again next year.   Give him the 12 M this year, with Not easily attainable incentive for years 2 and 3, that could peak at 12-14.  he'll be paid for his performance.

Seems fair to all involved

Archived