Report: Jets Offer to Fitz at $12 Million in First Year of 3-Year/$24M Deal

JetNation

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

No way it can go player option. , We'll be doing this again next year.   Give him the 12 M this year, with Not easily attainable incentive for years 2 and 3, that could peak at 12-14.  he'll be paid for his performance.

Seems fair to all involved

Make it moderately easily attainable incentives and you got a deal :)

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

It's all about supply and demand. There's literally zero demand besides the Jets. Who are they bidding against? Fitz definitely isn't retiring knowing very well he can make $12mil this year. If he sits out, he's not getting the mega bucks he hopes for next year. 

I'm not saying that 12m for the 1st year is not enough. if anything, its top $ for fitz. its just a weird contract and I don't remember too many like it. it falls in line with what the jets plans are and its brutally honest."we want you to start for year 1 and be a back up for year 2 and 3". I just don't see where it appeals to a player, any player coming off a respectable season. I now see why it has become a stalemate

8 minutes ago, faba said:

Fitz has nowhere to go right now except us- give him his guarantee money for this year and then we have the option to get out of it in 2 and 3 years

then why not go 3 years, 30m-36m, 12m guaranteed?

Just now, ylekram said:

then why not go 3 years, 30m-36m, 12m guaranteed?

I do not think any player is just going to take one year salary as guaranteed- the Jets would need to make it like 15 million guaranteed say so lets do this and move on geesh 

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep.   3 year 36 M contract, 12 guaranteed,   There will be more haggeling about guaranteed money, but it will get done.

right now, it looks like a 1 year deal that locks the player in for 3 years. he would be better off signing a 1 year deal

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Coz confirms....or copies?

I get why he wouldn't sign that.  if the Jets were to win a Super Bowl this season, he would be stuck playing for the next 2 years, at 6 million a year.  Has to be incentives for years 2 and 3 that will get him to at least 12 M if he has a great season.  

Just now, flgreen said:

I get why he wouldn't sign that.  if the Jets were to win a Super Bowl this season, he would be stuck playing for the next 2 years, at 6 million a year.  Has to be incentives for years 2 and 3 that will get him to at least 12 M if he has a great season.  

I feel like they're making it more complicated than it needs to be.  

40 minutes ago, ylekram said:

I'm not saying that 12m for the 1st year is not enough. if anything, its top $ for fitz. its just a weird contract and I don't remember too many like it. it falls in line with what the jets plans are and its brutally honest."we want you to start for year 1 and be a back up for year 2 and 3". I just don't see where it appeals to a player, any player coming off a respectable season. I now see why it has become a stalemate

$6mil salary each year with a 6mil signing bonus. That's low end QB salary. It's an $8mil average. That's better than low end salary average. He's nothing more than a low end starter/high end backup. 

27 minutes ago, ylekram said:

right now, it looks like a 1 year deal that locks the player in for 3 years. he would be better off signing a 1 year deal

He has zero leverage.  We aren't in the business of offering players more than the market dictates.  Take it or go be a 3rd string qb on another team.  

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He has zero leverage.  We aren't in the business of offering players more than the market dictates.  Take it or go be a 3rd string qb on another team.  

he has more leverage than you think. as fitz has no options, so do the jets. if the jets thought geno was a real option, they wouldn't be after fitzpatrick

I think if Fitz believes in himself he'll nix it and take the best backup deal he can get for one year. And hope the market opens up in 2017. He could wait deep into training camp to see if there's any more demand. You know like in injuries. You don't try to embarrass your starting Qb by leaking to the press a number that makes him look bad for not accepting it. And the deal is structured to pay him less money but make it seem like he's getting more. Not the way to go. 

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The leverage he has is, neither the Jets or the players want smith to be the starting QB.  There is no one else for them unless they turn the team over to petty or Hackenberg which would be a total disaster 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think if Fitz believes in himself he'll nix it and take the best backup deal he can get for one year. And hope the market opens up in 2017. He could wait deep into training camp to see if there's any more demand. You know like in injuries. You don't try to embarrass your starting Qb by leaking to the press a number that makes him look bad for not accepting it. And the deal is structured to pay him less money but make it seem like he's getting more. Not the way to go. 

if push comes to shove, I don't think this is the case. if the jets wont budge, I think he tells the jets to give him a 1 year deal. then deal with next year, next year

The leverage is also that it will be Mac's and Woody's ass if he leaves and the team crashes. And the players are pissed that the team lowballed their starting Qb. Woody should know this by now. He threw one GM under the bus let's see if he can make it two. And then stupidly signed Revis for cap killing money. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The bolded part I agree with.  When Decker, Marshall, and perhaps Mangold didn't show last week, the Jets panicked, and started slinging mud.

Macc better get this deal done soon, or he and Jackie Davidson are going to come out of this looking like a horse' s ass

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

if push comes to shove, I don't think this is the case. if the jets wont budge, I think he tells the jets to give him a 1 year deal. then deal with next year, next year

I think a one year deal is ok. But what is the offer. 8 mil? If they're reasonable they give him 10. 

That is crazy money for a JAG backup. It's not as bad as the Sanchez extension but if they pay him that contract the Jets will regret it and it will set our future back another year. I do not care how many old veterans we have on this team, we are not a win now team we need to implementing a 2-3 year plan. See what you have in Hack or start Geno. Both are far far better options than literally mortgaging the future of both depth and cap to trot out a journeyman injury prone backup. In addition, this would completely ignore historical precedent. This exact thing has happened with Fitz before.

54 minutes ago, ylekram said:

he has more leverage than you think. as fitz has no options, so do the jets. if the jets thought geno was a real option, they wouldn't be after fitzpatrick

Jets may not love Geno but they'll go with geno before giving fitz more than he's worth.  The same fans that want the Jets to Over pay for fitz will be the first ones to cry when we are unable to keep or bring in a free agent next season because of fitz. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets may not love Geno but they'll go with geno before giving fitz more than he's worth.  The same fans that want the Jets to Over pay for fitz will be the first ones to cry when we are unable to keep or bring in a free agent next season because of fitz. 

I disagree on everything you just said

2 hours ago, ylekram said:

And I disagree with you. The worst that happens if Fitz doesn't sign is that we suck this year and we get a high draft pick.

32 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And I disagree with you. The worst that happens if Fitz doesn't sign is that we suck this year and we get a high draft pick.

I like it more when we don't suck, but that's just me:D

This seems like a decent compromise deal. If Fitz throws 30 TDs and 4,000 yards this year, with this schedule, then he can hold out. Because at that point he will have all the leverage. Or sign a one year 12 million dollar deal and bet on himself.

Either way I don't see him getting a 35 - 40 million dollar contract.

8mil per for FitzMagic?!?  No way!  Don't do it Fitz.  

That's half of what you're worth.  Hold out for 15mil per (30 guaranteed).  Don't sell yourself short.  15mil per or retirement.  It's a noble fight.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well one of the reasons we signed Forte is because he wanted to play with Fitz and Marshalll had told him great things about the Jets. As for cap space much of the money on the Revis deal ends after 2016 and frees space for 2017. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well one of the reasons we signed Forte is because he wanted to play with Fitz and Marshalll had told him great things about the Jets. As for cap space much of the money on the Revis deal ends after 2016 and frees space for 2017. 

Forte will retire if Hackenberg wins the starting job. With all of his screen pass problems. Forte will be like I am too old for this lol.

fitz want to have a home and be the man and buy a house and put the kids in school

if the jets don't want to make a 3 year commitment to him, then great DON"T AND MOVE ON

this is getting really stoopit now

Archived