NFL forces Patriots to wear numbered jerseys at practice

joewilly12

NFL forces Patriots to wear numbered jerseys at practice

Patriots Camp FootballAP

For the last few years, Patriots coach Bill Belichick has had his team practice in the summer without numbered jerseys. But this year, the NFL put a stop to the practice.

Mike Reiss of ESPN reports that the NFL instituted a new rule requiring all players to wear jersey numbers while on the field for Organized Team Activities and mandatory minicamps. The rule was put in place to make it easier to monitor compliance with rules regarding player practices, including that injured players should not be practicing.

Belichick liked having his players practice without jerseys early in the offseason program because he thought it enhanced communication between players, forcing them to get to know each other by looking at more than just a jersey number. It’s a tactic Belichick learned from studying Hall of Fame Steelers coach Chuck Noll, who always had his players wear jerseys without numbers in practice.

It’s the second consecutive year that the NFL has changed a rule regarding jersey numbers in response to something the Patriots did; last year the league changed the rules about eligible receivers wearing ineligible numbers after the Ravens complained about a trick play the Patriots used.

3 hours ago, ljr said:

The league thinks NE* might try to skirt the rules ?!?!?

The Patriot way. 

I think they've had enough strikes to warrant multiple league officials supervising their day to day operations. Sitting in on all meetings, tapped phones and maybe nanny cams throughout the facilities. PAthetic that they need to be babysat. 

What a joke! This is the league trying to look "tough" on the Pats*. Crackdown on some BS like not wairing numbers...meantime God knows what tricks Belli has up his sleeve to gain an advantage this year...magicians divert your attention to create their "magic".

if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying hard enough - Patriot Way.

The Patriot way. 

I think they've had enough strikes to warrant multiple league officials supervising their day to day operations. Sitting in on all meetings, tapped phones and maybe nanny cams throughout the facilities. PAthetic that they need to be babysat. 

It's called gaining competitive advantages.

Jets might want to give it a try.

17 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

In 1986, Pats lost a 3rd round pick for illegal use of the injured reserved list.

No team in the NFL has ever lost a draft pick over the weekly injury report list.

Yes, that was the first error. 

The second is that the Raiders were docked a pick for same offense in the early 80's (i.e. using injured reserve to avoid having to waive a healthy player). 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

In 1986, Pats lost a 3rd round pick for illegal use of the injured reserved list.

No team in the NFL has ever lost a draft pick over the weekly injury report list.

The rule was put in place to make it easier to monitor compliance with rules regarding player practices, including that injured players should not be practicing.

the weekly injury report list has nothing to do with what players are allowed to practice.  Thanks for backing me up tho

7 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

Yes, that was the first error. 

The second is that the Raiders were docked a pick for same offense in the early 80's (i.e. using injured reserve to avoid having to waive a healthy player). 

even the raiders make fun of the pats* scummy ways, lol

The 1981 Raiders had to endure being stripped of their fifth round draft pick in the 1981 draft due to the fact that they had illegally sequestered two players in 1978. I couldn’t find anything on which of the players were sequestered, but the 1978 Raiders were headed up by head coach John Madden and quarterback Ken Stabler. They finished the season with a 9-7 record and were second in the AFC West. The team didn’t appear in the playoffs that season.

Just an interesting thing to look back on since it’s actually NOT the Raiders who are being the first team in the NFL getting the severe punishment of lost draft picks. And even when they did, it wasn’t for infractions that are as dire as those committed by the Patriots. But then again, who’s as awful as the Patriots are…?

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

even the raiders make fun of the pats* scummy ways, lol

The 1981 Raiders had to endure being stripped of their fifth round draft pick in the 1981 draft due to the fact that they had illegally sequestered two players in 1978. I couldn’t find anything on which of the players were sequestered, but the 1978 Raiders were headed up by head coach John Madden and quarterback Ken Stabler. They finished the season with a 9-7 record and were second in the AFC West. The team didn’t appear in the playoffs that season.

Just an interesting thing to look back on since it’s actually NOT the Raiders who are being the first team in the NFL getting the severe punishment of lost draft picks. And even when they did, it wasn’t for infractions that are as dire as those committed by the Patriots. But then again, who’s as awful as the Patriots are…?

Before that, the Raiders lost a 4th round pick for what is usually described in online summaries as "evading roster limits".  They evaded roster limits by stashing healthy players on their injured reserve list.  Same thing the Patriots got tagged for in 1986 for stashing the great Derwin Williams. 

(As an aside, wtf do they mean by sequestering?  Were the Raiders having jury trials back then or something)?

1 hour ago, AFCEastFan said:

Before that, the Raiders lost a 4th round pick for what is usually described in online summaries as "evading roster limits".  They evaded roster limits by stashing healthy players on their injured reserve list.  Same thing the Patriots got tagged for in 1986 for stashing the great Derwin Williams. 

(As an aside, wtf do they mean by sequestering?  Were the Raiders having jury trials back then or something)?

you have to admit, it does get hard keeping track of all the pats* cheating

1 hour ago, Larz said:

you have to admit, it does get hard keeping track of all the pats* cheating

C'mon, man, who doesn't remember Derwin Williams?  He was the Taylor Price of his time!  He hosted a weekly talk show called "Ask Derwin Williams" where he gave interior design tips.  (OK, I made that up).  

3 hours ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

Word, so the 86 pats franchise is the same as the 2000-current franchise. I didnt know Brady, BB and Kraft were all those teams as well.  emmmm

Organizational culture.

I know......big words, but you can google.

6 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

It's called gaining competitive advantages.

Jets might want to give it a try.

5 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

That's just what jealous, envious opposing fans call it.

Another example of the Pats playing chess while the other 31 teams continue to play checkers.

121010070503-lance-armstrong-us-postal-h

2 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

C'mon, man, who doesn't remember Derwin Williams?  He was the Taylor Price of his time!  He hosted a weekly talk show called "Ask Derwin Williams" where he gave interior design tips.  (OK, I made that up).  

can you list all of the pats* cheating ways for future reference ?

thanks

Archived