Suicide Squad Mafia

AVM

Just now, JiF said:

Come'on, no love for a Batman and Robin/Dynamic Duo/Defenders of Gotham reveal?

Before knowing how the game was laid out you guys had the "vet JiF by shooting Verb" plan and I loved it.  Wouldn't have worked in this game, but I loved the out of the box thinking. 

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JiF said:

It still doesnt make sense...but it's cool.  I love you and was entertained. 

Regardless of what I think, there are enough people still confused to tell me I didn't do a good enough job explaining.  It was a tough balance, because if I come out and say you win as the last team standing then there is a hint right out of the gate that there are multiple factions -- I wanted that to be something you had to work through and figure out.  I believe Pac or EY were the first to pick up on it.

The other big mistake, as simple as it may be, was the choice of colors/faction names.  Should have kept "scum" from being a name regardless of my rationale, and shouldn't have used red and blue as faction colors -- does make it confusing.  Had not done a game without typical scum and town, so lesson learned there.

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Come'on, no love for a Batman and Robin/Dynamic Duo/Defenders of Gotham reveal?

We knew you were lying though.

Also, I was going to claim mason team with JF80 had I needed too.  Obviously as the game developed, it wouldn't have worked.  But, that was my thinking.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

when you kill me on N1, everybody loses... so, you all lost, thanks to JIF

"I'm glad Ape is back."

"Me too.........so we're killing the Ape tonight right?"

"Yep, no other options."

*** Two Week Break from Mafia***

Only criticism I have of this setup is the minor disadvantage it creates for the "scum" team.

Meaning, every player in the game that was part of a named faction, knew they were part of a named faction... and probably could have surmised that it might be a faction vs. faction game. Scum, however, by being called scum right from the gate, assumes every other player is town (with maybe a SK). So, the scum team comes in modeling arguments and maneuvers within the context of assuming they are the minority vs. a town. Like a conventional game.

The solution to this, in my opinion, would have been to remove the notion of "scum" from the game. Just name each faction, and let them figure sh*t out within the framework as  you intended for it to be. If I'm not mistaken, none of the factions were called "town", were they?

Anyway, it's just a detail that would have helped level things out. 

Either way, I applaud the effort of modding and trying to come up with something unique. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Only criticism I have of this setup is the minor disadvantage it creates for the "scum" team.

Meaning, every player in the game that was part of a named faction, knew they were part of a named faction... and probably could have surmised that it might be a faction vs. faction game. Scum, however, by being called scum right from the gate, assumes every other player is town (with maybe a SK). So, the scum team comes in modeling arguments and maneuvers within the context of assuming they are the minority vs. a town. Like a conventional game.

The solution to this, in my opinion, would have been to remove the notion of "scum" from the game. Just name each faction, and let them figure sh*t out within the framework as  you intended for it to be. If I'm not mistaken, none of the factions were called "town", were they?

Either way, I applaud the effort of modding and trying to come up with something unique. Thank you!

I guess another name could have helped, but we were Suicide Squad in the Suicide Squad game, so we were pretty sure we were scum.  Our next thought was that it was us vs. you vs. a bunch of heroes.  Finally, the anti-heroes showed up, and we figured it was 3v3v3v3.  All this to say, I think that we were kind of in the same boat as you.

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I guess another name could have helped, but we were Suicide Squad in the Suicide Squad game, so we were pretty sure we were scum.  Our next thought was that it was us vs. you vs. a bunch of heroes.  Finally, the anti-heroes showed up, and we figured it was 3v3v3v3.  All this to say, I think that we were kind of in the same boat as you.

I think everyone was in this boat -- the heroes thought (at least initially) they were scum vs a 9 person town, as well.

2 minutes ago, AVM said:

I think everyone was in this boat -- the heroes thought (at least initially) they were scum vs a 9 person town, as well.

the setup was good as we all love to play scum...only suggestion I would make...tell each player in the PM they can earn an extra bullet and vest if they lead a lynch on a teammate...day 1 only

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If it helps I actually thought WE were the scum team so I bussed Lilly.  LOL

17 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

the setup was good as we all love to play scum...only suggestion I would make...tell each player in the PM they can earn an extra bullet and vest if they lead a lynch on a teammate...day 1 only

Ha! I like that.  Part of the reason it took me until so late in the evening to get the signup thread up is I was trying to work a "nemesis" mechanic into the game.  Each team has one player that has someone else in the game they have to hunt of and work to get lynched without telling their teammates...and the reward is an extra bullet or BPV (or both).  

A tweaked version I was working on had each team start with one NK/DK total and needing to find a certain player and lead a lynch on them to make it a 1 per day or night shot.  I was just too concerned that balance would shift too badly on D1.  In retrospect I think a couple of adjustments and that would have worked...but it would have been a very different game from this.

In a sense this was somewhat of a hybrid of the Hunger Games mafia we played a few years back, just without the backstabbing and next level of strategy.

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If it helps I actually thought WE were the scum team so I bussed Lilly.  LOL

In this game we had:

1) Your team bussing Lily
2) JiF/Verb/80 plotting for JiF to shoot Verb on D2
3) Smash cold-calling that there was no doc in this game REALLY early (kudos, btw...incredibly impressive)

All 3 really good plays at the time, given the information you had.  However two of the three (bussing Lily and Smash claiming doc to make himself a target) may have cost the team the game.  JiF's plan got blown up by losing 80 in the random, but I suspect the second he claimed he becomes a target just like Smash but who really knows.

Pac/EY/Decker were the first to figure out the multiple faction and at the end the fact that they weren't even shot at until N2 put them in a position to win.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Perhaps. I only lived 1 game day, and most of how I talked and maneuvered was based on the notion that there'd be a town, because we were scum/mafia.

Like I said, it's a minor criticism.

I think rather than a break we should consider at some point having an ALT game. What's become stale is the same old crap when it comes to the meta that goes on here we simply do not have a big enough infusion of new players, which starts to make the game boring.

19 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think rather than a break we should consider at some point having an ALT game. What's become stale is the same old crap when it comes to the meta that goes on here we simply do not have a big enough infusion of new players, which starts to make the game boring.

Thanks for taking this on Smash, appreciate it.  What's the theme?  Link to the signup thread?

32 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

The meta is a drag.

Even in this game, Decker was talking about how come I wasn't confrontational or whatever... reality is, my last game as town I did the exact same thing as I did in this one.

19 minutes ago, AVM said:

IMO a break followed by an alt game would be awesome.

We've been talking about another alt game for something like 3 years it feels like

I assume I could find the old Alts.  Kinda bad because 2/3 of them were Al Pavino characters.  Maybe we can do presidents or fast food icons?

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I assume I could find the old Alts.  Kinda bad because 2/3 of them were Al Pavino characters.  Maybe we can do presidents or fast food icons?

Yeah but Pac as the Taco Bell chihuahua really defeats the purpose of alts, doesn't it?

Archived