Jordan Jenkins Has a Fan in Sheldon Richardson

32EBoozer

Jordan Jenkins Has a Fan in Sheldon Richardson

GettyImages-487909132.0.jpg
Frederick Breedon/Getty Images

Darryl Slater caught up with Sheldon Richardson. The fourth year defensive lineman has some very flattering things to say about a rookie.

"Jordan Jenkins is a monster from what we've seen of him," Sheldon Richardson told NJ Advance Media on Thursday, as the Jets concluded minicamp. "He's a monster. I'm not sleeping on him at all. Can't wait to see him in shoulder pads.

"What he came out here and brought every day, there's a difference, [because] some guys will go a week strong, two weeks strong, and then you'll see a decline in their effort and get-off the ball. The guy has been hell on wheels since Day 1."

Outside linebacker is a land of opportunity for the Jets this year. They do not have much in the way of proven players at the position. With a third round pedigree, Jenkins might have an inside track. He will have to earn the spot, though. Transitions are not always easy at this position. For their part, the Jets broke Lorenzo Mauldin in easy at the position last year.

To read rest of article, please go to:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/6/17/11960216/jordan-jenkins-has-a-fan-in-sheldon-richardson

Glad to see Jenkins is another high effort, non-stop motor kind of player.... similar to Mauldin.

Having guys like this on the edge with heavy hands and good size to pair with Harris in the middle allows a S/LB hybrid like Lee to use his speed and fly around the second level in coverage and getting to the QB behind a very talented DL

I cannot wait to see this defense... hoping the years of watching our D create a mess for opposing offenses, only to lose the QB for the millisecond he needs to get the pass off are over.

I hope we ******* devour QBs.

Our Linebacking core is like night & day now. Bowles can get after it now, he had no speed (Harris & Pace), and he had bad angle & tackler Damario Davis. Something tells me with Jenkins setting the edge, Mauldin pass rushing, Harris not being asked to cover as much, and our behemoths up front keeping Lee clean to zero in on his targets, Jets could be vying for a top spot on defense next year. Then you add in the depth with Reilly, Carter, Henderson, Catapano. Deepest LB core for the Jets in a long, long, time.

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Our Linebacking core is like night & day now. Bowles can get after it now, he had no speed (Harris & Pace), and he had bad angle & tackler Damario Davis. Something tells me with Jenkins setting the edge, Mauldin pass rushing, Harris not being asked to cover as much, and our behemoths up front keeping Lee clean to zero in on his targets, Jets could be vying for a top spot on defense next year. Then you add in the depth with Reilly, Carter, Henderson, Catapano. Deepest LB core for the Jets in a long, long, time.

Didn't they move Catapano back to the DL? Coming off his injury I think he'll struggle to make the roster. Just too much depth at his positions. And who knows if he'll have lost a step with the foot injury. 

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Not to mention our Corner and Safeties definitely aren't too shabby either. Idc what our schedule is this defense will keep us in playoff contention if we have decent QB play.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not to mention our Corner and Safeties definitely aren't too shabby either. Idc what our schedule is this defense will keep us in playoff contention if we have decent QB play.

QB play with the deep throw threat this season will keep teams honest against us regardless of the schedule. Teams are looking at their schedule and they see a 10 win NY Jets team that they cannot take lightly. 

30 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I would not be surprised to see Harris sitting more with a 4 man front

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

QB play with the deep throw threat this season will keep teams honest against us regardless of the schedule. Teams are looking at their schedule and they see a 10 win NY Jets team that they cannot take lightly. 

Right. That's why if Geno pulls it together and he doesn't even have to be an all star, we will be better than last year as far as how good our team is. That defense has the ability to shut down any offense imho. We can hold any team to 17 points or lower if we play hard and smart. 

52 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right. That's why if Geno pulls it together and he doesn't even have to be an all star, we will be better than last year as far as how good our team is. That defense has the ability to shut down any offense imho. We can hold any team to 17 points or lower if we play hard and smart. 

With Geno it's all about protecting the ball. There is no excuse for bonehead plays (running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss when you can just toss the ball out of bounds). I think a lot of his issues were he just pressed too much. How many times were we asking Marty to throw on 1st down more? 

Geno faced a lot of 2nd & 12, 3rd & over 10 after we would run twice & lose yardage. And that was after starting behind the 20 many times because our special teams were the worst in years. These aren't excuses, these are facts! If your WRs can't shake free & the defense knows it, DCs will flood the box, blitz the run, & put you in terrible down & distance possessions. I see Gailey loosening the reins with Geno & try to keep him in manageable 2nd & 3rd downs, but also take some longer shots to shake up the defense a little. 

Just imagine our defense going against David Nelson, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas & Jeff Cumbeland! LMAO! Can you say coverage sack? I know you can. Can you say 3rd & long? I know you can. Can you say punting out of your own endzone continuously? I know you can.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Didn't they move Catapano back to the DL? Coming off his injury I think he'll struggle to make the roster. Just too much depth at his positions. And who knows if he'll have lost a step with the foot injury. 

I think Bowles will use him more as a rush LB/DE like a Willie McGinnest type role. It's always about health but he really showed a lot before he got hurt. The Jets defense has a lot of "high motor" guys now. Even the depth role players are hustlers. That relentless type of play is wearing on opposing offenses. Especially if the Jets offense can control the ball & score in the redzone. TOP becomes a huge factor, keeping our defense fresh, tiring the opposing defense, forces the opposing offense to press, causes turnovers, huge changes in field position. 

24 minutes ago, Jetster said:

With Geno it's all about protecting the ball. There is no excuse for bonehead plays (running out of bounds for a 2 yard loss when you can just toss the ball out of bounds). I think a lot of his issues were he just pressed too much. How many times were we asking Marty to throw on 1st down more? 

Geno faced a lot of 2nd & 12, 3rd & over 10 after we would run twice & lose yardage. And that was after starting behind the 20 many times because our special teams were the worst in years. These aren't excuses, these are facts! If your WRs can't shake free & the defense knows it, DCs will flood the box, blitz the run, & put you in terrible down & distance possessions. I see Gailey loosening the reins with Geno & try to keep him in manageable 2nd & 3rd downs, but also take some longer shots to shake up the defense a little. 

Just imagine our defense going against David Nelson, Clyde Gates, Greg Salas & Jeff Cumbeland! LMAO! Can you say coverage sack? I know you can. Can you say 3rd & long? I know you can. Can you say punting out of your own endzone continuously? I know you can.

True stuff right here. The kid was thrown into the flames starting week one with practice squad players literally ONE player from that offense is still in the league and that's Kerley. Geno has 3 years of playing/sitting it's time to put him out there now with a top ten offense and watch him work. If he can't do it then he just can't do it but you have to give him that chance because Fitzpatrick doesn't need to come back drain our cap and play like he has EVERY ******* season before his "break out season". I'm thankful for 2015 but Idc what these players say... Geno should be the starter. 100%

23 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc is really showing out! Sounds like a great pick up. Dude completely revamped our LB core with a couple 3rd round picks and low risk/high reward free agent signings. 

I'd argue that. 

It's more like a tale of two sisters. There's something things personnel wise that are working and some that aren't. 

There's a confidence between Bowles and Macc that I like and believe in, but there's a few holes in his pants too. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I'd argue that. 

It's more like a tale of two sisters. There's something personnel wise that are working and some that aren't. 

If Devin Smith can produce and open the field for Marshall, Decker, Amaro and Forte underneath Mac will have done a competent job in the draft.

His legacy will be if Petty/Hackenberg can become a Franchise QB. 

His abilities in creating smart, fiscally sound contracts is still questionable. The Mo saga has been a slow and prolonged distraction to the team.

On June 18, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Integrity28 said:

I cannot wait to see this defense... hoping the years of watching our D create a mess for opposing offenses, only to lose the QB for the millisecond he needs to get the pass off are over.

I hope we ******* devour QBs.

One in particular

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'd argue that. 

It's more like a tale of two sisters. There's something things personnel wise that are working and some that aren't. 

There's a confidence between Bowles and Macc that I like and believe in, but there's a few holes in his pants too. 

There isn't a GM in this sport who hits 100% of the time.  

Macc has been right more often than not so far. 

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Devin Smith can produce and open the field for Marshall, Decker, Amaro and Forte underneath Mac will have done a competent job in the draft.

His legacy will be if Petty/Hackenberg can become a Franchise QB. 

His abilities in creating smart, fiscally sound contracts is still questionable. The Mo saga has been a slow and prolonged distraction to the team.

There's the Mo thing... Fitz as well. He spend like a rich bitch from beverly hills last year and hasn't really been able to do much for the offense besides signing high caliber 30 year olds. 

The team seems to be gelling for the most part though, and there's a respectable confidence in our operation (which is a welcome change). Next year's offseason/draft class will be a big one for me. Patterns will begin to emerge.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There isn't a GM in this sport who hits 100% of the time.  

Macc has been right more often than not so far. 

Agreed, no one's perfect. 

Sometimes it's not who you take, it's who you don't take. 2 drafts later, and we've failed to draft an impact player on offense. Last year we had a crack at the best RB since AP, and a draft class of WR as loaded as the one Idzik botched, and we came away with the undersized, and limited Devin Smith.... We can say "if" and "when" as much as we want, but at the moment, it is what it is. We don't have any studs in the wings yet. We'll see if maybe Peake or Marshall can change that this summer. 

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Jordan Jenkins is probably just a role player. I mean I like the pick and I think he'll help us in certain situations. It's the Darron Lee pick that's the problem...

He's likely going to be the starting outside linebacker, so no. Not a role player. 

5 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Jordan Jenkins is probably just a role player. I mean I like the pick and I think he'll help us in certain situations. It's the Darron Lee pick that's the problem...

Who do you suggest that we start in place of Calvin Pace? Sheldon Richardson? Considering the first team reps he has gotten since OTA's something tells me he isn't just a role player and rather a starting caliber edge setter.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I'd argue that. 

If we knitpick then sure, you can always find something (like not drafting Paxton Lynch, not trading for Mike Glennon). But turning the team around from a 4-12 disaster to a respectable team that won 10 games with their back up QB, solidifying the safety position, injecting the LB position with young talent with 3rd round picks. converting 5th round picks into star/superstar players (Clady/Marshall) revamping the RB corp...picking up QB's every draft etc. 

There are some things that we can question, but I dont see any of those things that we can question as things we can call failures. We're skeptical about some things, but I cant say that Macc failed on anything yet. And true, he's only been here one season so you need time to see if some of those skeptical decisions will work out or not, and I also know he had a lot of money to spend. 

I guess we can look at the Cromartie situation, Cro didnt have a good year, but he was still an upgrade from what we had the year prior and Macc made sure to negotiate a contract that he could immediately get out of because he had questions on Cro himself based on the structure of the contract. 

No GM is perfect but I would say that Macc is getting off to a great start. Thats all I can ask for. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Agreed, no one's perfect. 

Sometimes it's not who you take, it's who you don't take. 2 drafts later, and we've failed to draft an impact player on offense. Last year we had a crack at the best RB since AP, and a draft class of WR as loaded as the one Idzik botched, and we came away with the undersized, and limited Devin Smith.... We can say "if" and "when" as much as we want, but at the moment, it is what it is. We don't have any studs in the wings yet. We'll see if maybe Peake or Marshall can change that this summer. 

Well given two are development players at the most important position, the OLmen haven't played yet and a second round impact type player has been hurt.  So to be fair it's a little early to say off of one season.  

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Seriously? Your future predictions are quite comical. You have an oujia board or something. Your confidence in the Jets crashing & burning in 2016 is similar to your predictions for 2015. How'd that go?

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If we knitpick then sure, you can always find something (like not drafting Paxton Lynch, not trading for Mike Glennon). But turning the team around from a 4-12 disaster to a respectable team that won 10 games with their back up QB, solidifying the safety position, injecting the LB position with young talent with 3rd round picks. converting 5th round picks into star/superstar players (Clady/Marshall) revamping the RB corp...picking up QB's every draft etc. 

There are some things that we can question, but I dont see any of those things that we can question as things we can call failures. We're skeptical about some things, but I cant say that Macc failed on anything yet. And true, he's only been here one season so you need time to see if some of those skeptical decisions will work out or not, and I also know he had a lot of money to spend. 

I guess we can look at the Cromartie situation, Cro didnt have a good year, but he was still an upgrade from what we had the year prior and Macc made sure to negotiate a contract that he could immediately get out of because he had questions on Cro himself based on the structure of the contract. 

No GM is perfect but I would say that Macc is getting off to a great start. Thats all I can ask for. 

Literally took the words out of my mouth.. I ever mention you are by far my favorite poster on here man? I'm getting tired of hearing complaining about a GM that just came in a year ago and made more of an impact than 90-95% of GM's ever had year 1... and that has nothing to do with the money we had.. Zero!  The players he has drafted all have VERY HIGH characters and work ethics. That has been the pattern I followed as I watched his drafting. The guy has nearly been flawless to this point. It's annoying to hear the scrutiny when there hasn't even been enough time to legitimately scrutinize.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Literally took the words out of my mouth.. I ever mention you are by far my favorite poster on here man? I'm getting tired of hearing complaining about a GM that just came in a year ago and made more of an impact than 90-95% of GM's ever had year 1... and that has nothing to do with the money we had.. Zero!  The players he has drafted all have VERY HIGH characters and work ethics. That has been the pattern I followed as I watched his drafting. The guy has nearly been flawless to this point. It's annoying to hear the scrutiny when there hasn't even been enough time to legitimately scrutinize.

I dont think you have, but I appreciate the compliment bro. 

What I really like about Macc is that he comes off more as a teammate rather than the "hierarchical GM". He really takes Bowles into consideration and seems to value the relationships around him. He also knows how to play hardball. I got to be honest, its surprising to see a GM understand a position and stick with it. Tanny would have found a way to make Fitz the highest paid QB in NFL history lol. 

The guy understands talent, and value. Getting Marshall for a 5th round was just ridiculous. I think we'll be saying the same about Clady by years end. I've been nothing but impressed with Macc. 

My biggest criticism was the Hackenberg pick. But given Macc's limited time here but immediate success I even had to give him the benefit of the doubt on that, especially after learning more about Hack coming out of high school, getting caught up in the Penn St. nonsense. etc. 

The guy drafted a QB because of his mind most of all. We always talk about a QB's mind once he's a vet superstar. However, when we talk about rookies we always talk about the physical tools and "franchise QB's". Macc drafted a guy because of his mind, and how that aspect of his game can translate to the pros. Drafting him when 99% of people wouldnt have and probably thought it was stupid (which was even my initial thought). 

The balls on this guy right now. I dig it. 

Archived