Petty’s Performance Highlights Jets Thursday Camp Session

JetNation

Bryce Petty

By Glenn Naughton

Following several days of practice in full pads, the Jets were back in shells for Thursday’s session which was essentially treated as an off-day for some of the team’s elder statesmen.  Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and David Harris, to name a few, did little more than stretch with the team.

The most encouraging part of the session was the overall performance of second-year quarterback Bryce Petty who came on strong after a slow start.  After misfiring on his first several attempts, sometimes by a sizable margin, Petty settled down and made some of his best throws of the team’s early camp.

Charone Peake

Jets rookie receiver Charone Peake has had a quiet camp thus far, but came up with a circus catch on a Bryce Petty deep ball today.

One of Petty’s first better throws came on this pass down the right sideline to rookie receiver Charone Peake who also made what was his best play of camp this far, hauling in the pass with an impressive one-handed grab.  Later in the day, Petty led the offense during red zone drills and fired a 19-yard laser for a touchdown to wide receiver Titus Davis.

One good performance may end up meaning very little in the grand scheme of things, but just one day after failing to complete a single pass on seven attempts, Jets fans are surely hoping today was a turning point of sorts for the former Baylor product.

First-round draft choice Darron Lee also opened some eyes with some rather physical play given the fact that players weren’t in full pads.  At one point, there was a near-confrontation between the offense and the defense when Lee didn’t hold back against Dominique Williams and Romar Morris.  Lee may have a friendly demeanor off the field, but his on-field mentality is the complete opposite.  Lee almost always looks angry once the helmet goes on, and today he played like it.

Petty wasn’t the only quarterback who flashed some big plays.  Back-up quarterback Geno Smith audibled from a pass play to a quarterback draw, a decision that paid off as he shot up the middle untouched on what would have likely been a long TD run.

On the undrafted rookie front, Jalin Marshall had a few more drops than we’ve seen from him up to now, but he followed up one drop by hauling in Geno Smith’s best pass of the day, a bomb down the right sideline over Juston Burris in coverage for what would have been an 80-yard score.

Burris wasn’t quite as solid today as he had been through previous sessions as he allowed several catches, but we still spotted him breaking up his share of passes, continuing to show excellent timing and aggressiveness.

After what was a rough day trying to hang on to the football through the air as he had multiple drops, running back Romar Morris finished strong when he pulled in a short pass from Petty over the middle and took it 60 yards to finish the session on a positive note.

The  team will be out on the field once again tomorrow at 1:50.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ITO015HJ2u0

Click here to read the full story...

Does it worry anyone that his best day  in practice came on a day  when the Pads came off again ?  I want a franchise QB to be developed by this team, but I'm not in the grasping at straws business  because I like or dislike a player . I think this kid will get some good playing time in the 1st and 4th preseason games at that will decide if he stays on the roster, gets a shot at the practice squad or gets cut outright .  Can't wait .

That is all .

33 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Does it worry anyone that his best day  in practice came on a day  when the Pads came off again ?  I want a franchise QB to be developed by this team, but I'm not in the grasping at straws business  because I like or dislike a player . I think this kid will get some good playing time in the 1st and 4th preseason games at that will decide if he stays on the roster, gets a shot at the practice squad or gets cut outright .  Can't wait .

That is all .

Yup. I mean its great that he bounced back after a slow start. But didn't he start camp 0-7 or something like that. I mean, for a second year player with no guarantee to make the roster- that's a really bad showing.  I'm really not sold on Petty yet. The rest of camp and preseason will really be telling. I have a feeling Jets risk having him snatched up by another team and try to get him on PS once all is said and done. There seem to be a number of 'bubble' guys stepping up, so the Jets will be hesitant to carry 4 QBs.  

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

That is all .

Not me.  We knew that when he was going to be a multi-year project when he was drafted.  Any step in the right direction is a good thing in my opinion.

Maybe he's at a point where needs a few reps to get in a rhythm and hasn't had that chance with Fitz and Geno in front if him.

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yup. I mean its great that he bounced back after a slow start. But didn't he start camp 0-7 or something like that. I mean, for a second year player with no guarantee to make the roster- that's a really bad showing.  I'm really not sold on Petty yet. The rest of camp and preseason will really be telling. I have a feeling Jets risk having him snatched up by another team and try to get him on PS once all is said and done. There seem to be a number of 'bubble' guys stepping up, so the Jets will be hesitant to carry 4 QBs.  

This is part of the problem with the NFL as an entity.  They desperately NEED a developmental league/minor league system to allow some of these guys to develop.  For a guy like Petty to have no experience in anything remotely resembling a pro system, he probably needs 3-5 years in a development league before being ready.  For every Tom Brady that steps in as a 6th round GOAT, there are probably 30 QB's who could be developing as above average back-ups/borderline starters if there was a place for them to develop

Bryce Petty’s maturity revealed in interaction with rival Jets QB

Bryce Petty’s maturity revealed in interaction with rival Jets QB

The Jets had been done practicing for about 30 minutes, but two individuals remained on the practice field, going through play after play in the hot afternoon sun.

Quarterbacks Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg stayed long after practice was over, working on certain things that had not gone right in practice. It seems strange. Two players who may be competing for one spot — future quarterback of this franchise — helping each other out, playing wide receiver for each other and coaching each other up.

It is a sign of maturity from Petty, who was drafted just last year in the fourth round, that he is helping Hackenberg, who ultimately could be the reason Petty is cut at some point.

“As far as I’m concerned right now, we both have ‘N.Y. Jets’ on our helmet,” Petty said. “Until that changes for one of us, I’m trying to help him and he’s helping me. At the end of the day, that’s what’s going to make this offense better. If the offense gets better, that makes the defense better. If the defense gets better, we’re winning championships. That’s what we’re striving to do here. It doesn’t matter who’s out there. We’re competing, yes, but we’re still on the same team.”

You couldn’t blame Petty if he felt like he was yesterday’s news. When the Jets selected Hackenberg in the second round of this year’s draft, it called into question how they felt about Petty. Were they ready to give up on him already? Did they not like what they saw in his rookie year?

The Jets have said the Hackenberg selection has nothing to do with Petty. They are seriously considering keeping four quarterbacks on their roster this season — Petty and Hackenberg as developmental quarterbacks of the future along with starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Geno Smith, who are about 2016. If a quarterback does get cut, Petty might be the odd man out.

He is not worrying about that at the moment, though. Petty had his best day of training camp Thursday, throwing three touchdowns, including an 80-yarder to Jalin Marshall. That came a day after Petty went 0-for-6 in team drills. Petty benefited from extra reps Thursday with Fitzpatrick getting a day off.

“For me, it’s all about executing, so I’ve got to get better at executing the play and not trying to be too perfect,” Petty said. “I think that’s kind of what I’m doing right now. I’m just trying to be too perfect with things. I’ve just got to kind of let loose and do what I know to do and let instincts take over and just play football, knowing that everything will take care of itself. I’m just pumping the brakes a little bit and going back to basics.”

Modal Triggerpetty.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Bryce Petty (right) has lent a helping hand to fellow Jets quarterback Christian HackenbergPhoto: Paul J. Bereswill

For Petty, his second training camp feels completely different than his first, when he was just trying to pick up the offense.

“It’s a lot different,” Petty said. “I think it’s just a comfort factor. Coming out of OTAs, I was extremely confident. Then the perfection word started creeping in. I need to go back to where I was, where I was just being a gunslinger and chucking it. I know what to do now. I know plays. I know what we’re doing. Now, it’s one read, play it, make it work. That’s what I’m trying to do every day out here. From camp one to camp two, it’s a night-and-day difference. Not to sound too confident, but there’s progress being made.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles sees signs of that progress.

“He’s getting to be more consistent with the decisions he’s making,” Bowles said.

When the Jets took Hackenberg in April’s draft, Petty said he had a few emotions, but ultimately it brought out the competitor in him.

“There were probably several thoughts that I had in my head, but to me, it was kind of like, ‘OK, let’s strap it up,’ ” he said. “I came in here to prove that they made the right choice in the fourth round last year. I’m still here to do that. That part doesn’t change. Whatever happens in the future happens, but while I’m here, I’m going to be the best quarterback I can be, the best teammate I can be. If that is to help him through the things I learned last year and I’m continuing to learn, that’s what I want to do.”

I can't see the Jets carrying 4 QBs into the regular season. Possible but doubtful. I can't think of any teams carrying 4 QBs. Geno is the only viable backup right now and Hack won't be dumped since he was the 2nd RD pick this year and hopeful projected future QB. I would say Petty is the odd man out on this one. Too bad, I was excited when the Jets got him. 

The last couple of practices it seems Petty has had better days than Fitz and Geno. Whether he makes the final roster or not will depend on the preseason games he plays. This team is gonna give Petty every inch of rope they can to makenthe roster, as they know Geno is gone next year, and at the very least they'll need a #2 who's been in this system. 

He'll have to be REALLY bad to get cut. They knew he was a multi-year project when they drafted him, and basically had their expected ceiling for him to be a good backup, with starting being an added bonus. Mac has said something along these lines in the past, "We know he can become a good backup, and its sort of up to him to go further than that." 

I think they'll keep 4 this year. Re-sin Fitz for another year or two next year, Geno leaves in free agency, Petty/Hack battle for #2 in 2017, and for #1 in 2018. That would be the smart/prudent plan. 

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The last couple of practices it seems Petty has had better days than Fitz and Geno. Whether he makes the final roster or not will depend on the preseason games he plays. This team is gonna give Petty every inch of rope they can to makenthe roster, as they know Geno is gone next year, and at the very least they'll need a #2 who's been in this system. 

He'll have to be REALLY bad to get cut. They knew he was a multi-year project when they drafted him, and basically had their expected ceiling for him to be a good backup, with starting being an added bonus. Mac has said something along these lines in the past, "We know he can become a good backup, and its sort of up to him to go further than that." 

I think they'll keep 4 this year. Re-sin Fitz for another year or two next year, Geno leaves in free agency, Petty/Hack battle for #2 in 2017, and for #1 in 2018. That would be the smart/prudent plan. 

He hasn't been better than Geno or Fitz, he's just been a MUCH better version of Petty.

I wasn't saying he was much better than them overall, just that he had a couple of good practices, while the others didn't. Just saying that even the better QB's (Fitz/geno) can have bad practices and we shouldn't give up on Petty cause he stunk in the first couple of practices.

Fitz is light years ahead of Petty. I want Fitz here for another season or two. But I think MacBowles will keep Petty, as they should unless he's completely lost out there.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I wasn't saying he was much better than them overall, just that he had a couple of good practices, while the others didn't. Just saying that even the better QB's (Fitz/geno) can have bad practices and we shouldn't give up on Petty cause he stunk in the first couple of practices.

Fitz is light years ahead of Petty. I want Fitz here for another season or two. But I think MacBowles will keep Petty, as they should unless he's completely lost out there.

I think it's an interesting scenario to say the least.  Can't see them going in to the season w/o an experienced backup, but if Petty starts to look like a competent back-up and a 4th QB isn't really necessary, do they cut ties with Geno?  I doubt it, but wouldn't completely rule it out.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:08 AM, AFJF said:

Not me.  We knew that when he was going to be a multi-year project when he was drafted.  Any step in the right direction is a good thing in my opinion.

Maybe he's at a point where needs a few reps to get in a rhythm and hasn't had that chance with Fitz and Geno in front if him.

One of the major problems in developing a young QB out of a spread system is the dang CBA.

Even if he wants to, and a good young QB would want to, he can't practice, and get advise from the QB's coach in the off season.  Then when camps open, because of the number of limed reps in a one practice a day camp, can only get a few reps in camp.

Hack has only had 7 reps in the last 2 practices.  Just not enough to develop.

IMO, the NFL has to make some kind of an exemption for extra voluntary contact between QB's and the CS.  Think it would go a long way in improving the QB play in the NFL.   

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

One of the major problems in developing a young QB out of a spread system is the dang CBA.

Even if he wants to, and a good young QB would want to, he can't practice, and get advise from the QB's coach in the off season.  Then when camps open, because of the number of limed reps in a one practice a day camp, can only get a few reps in camp.

Hack has only had 7 reps in the last 2 practices.  Just not enough to develop.

IMO, the NFL has to make some kind of an exemption for extra voluntary contact between QB's and the CS.  Think it would go a long way in improving the QB play in the NFL.   

From a fans perspective and possibly some players there are many issues with the CBA. Like your suggestion problem is a coach who interprets voluntary with mandatory. That's what brought about many of the changes in this CBA.

On August 5, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Tinstar said:

That is all .

No, not at all.

first of all, I could care less about the first days of camp and a small number like 0-7.  It's a process, get better with time.  Of course unless we're going to dissect the missed passes.  

On August 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Big Blocker said:

The ups and downs for Petty merely underscore that it's up to him to force the Jets to keep 4 Qb's, or perhaps have Petty or Hack surpass Smith on the depth chart, rendering him a camp cut.

There isn't a chance in hell that he's passing Geno on me depth chart.  None

On August 5, 2016 at 2:20 PM, CanadaSteve said:

This is part of the problem with the NFL as an entity.  They desperately NEED a developmental league/minor league system to allow some of these guys to develop.  For a guy like Petty to have no experience in anything remotely resembling a pro system, he probably needs 3-5 years in a development league before being ready.  For every Tom Brady that steps in as a 6th round GOAT, there are probably 30 QB's who could be developing as above average back-ups/borderline starters if there was a place for them to develop

if a QB needs 5 years to learn to run a pro style offense its probably not going to happen. petty was 24 when he was drafted, the clock is ticking on him just like every other prospect in the league 

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think it's an interesting scenario to say the least.  Can't see them going in to the season w/o an experienced backup, but if Petty starts to look like a competent back-up and a 4th QB isn't really necessary, do they cut ties with Geno?  I doubt it, but wouldn't completely rule it out.

I think they keep Geno for insurance in case Fitz gets hurt. But, if Petty lights it up in pre season, and Geno is erratic, maybe they cut or trade Geno to get Petty and Hack more reps. 

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:49 PM, Adoni Beast said:

I think they keep Geno for insurance in case Fitz gets hurt. But, if Petty lights it up in pre season, and Geno is erratic, maybe they cut or trade Geno to get Petty and Hack more reps. 

Yes.  The key is if Smith cannot show that he will at least serve as a reliable backup, then he serves no purpose on the team, and they can retain Petty and Hack no problem.

Archived