Geno Smith named #2 QB!!!!!!!!!!!

joewilly12

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Geno is smart. He knows that there are only so many completions in every QB's arm. So he isn't about to waste them in the preseason.

I for one thank him for doing that. Hopefully Fitz never gets hurt but if he does Geno is going to be a 65% completion machine.

Lolololol 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sides in general when it comes to a football roster or player just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. All I want is for the Jets to win. I hated Tebow but if he can win, sign him up.

But I can see how many people feel the need to claim victory over this. Because there were a lot of people predicting that Geno wouldn't make the team.

Agree.  

Some will deny it but you're right, the Geno will/should be cut now predictions were all over the board.  I was in the Fitz may be better but he's not 12+ mil better camp, thought there wouldn't be big enough difference in production and wins to justify the money.  

One thing though.  For all the new talk, cut Geno because Petty had a much better preseason, how do we handle Petty playing better than Fitz?  Because Fitz hardly played better than Geno this preseason.  No one seems to even discuss that little fact, wasn't a stellar preseason for Fitz. .  

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

So, what's new with the trade speculation? Any updates? ;)

Nothing yet.  I feel kinda bad for taking the bait.  There's no way teams were calling to trade for Geno but I fell for it once Lopresti said he was told the same thing.  That, and a little wishful thinking got the best of me.

I'm not sure this decision is final because Bowles was not exactly decisive in what he said. They could wait a few days and see how Petty is health wise. In case they have a trade offer but you'd think they will have to make a quick decision on that or the other team will get another player. But it looks like Geno is the backup. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Nothing yet.  I feel kinda bad for taking the bait.  There's no way teams were calling to trade for Geno but I fell for it once Lopresti said he was told the same thing.  That, and a little wishful thinking got the best of me.

No problem. You've been one of the few civil ones around here throughout. 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well I disagree and when Geno takes us to the promised land, Jeff Hostetler style, you will owe the site 10 pushups.

Whatever happened to Hostetler after than one year?  Did he get a good offer from another team? 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Atleast its over. Everyone got a bit of what they wanted. Fitz is back (as the starter) and Geno is still a Jet and we wont have to cut Petty. 

Now maybe we should go win a superbowl or something. 

After watching Hack the other night, I'm not ruling out Glennon as a FA.

The QB position for the Jets is not a popularity contest. The one thing that has plagued this team for umteen years is the lack of a franchise QB. I believe Coach Bowles is going with the best he's got for this season. Until one of these young QB'S steps up or we get a better QB, it looks like it's Fitz, Smith, Petty, and Hack right now today in that order.

And so the Geno saga continues and it makes for some entertaining reads on JN. Press on my Jet brothers and sisters, all I want is my Jets to do is win, 

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

The QB position for the Jets is not a popularity contest. The one thing that has plagued this team for umteen years is the lack of a franchise QB. I believe Coach Bowles is going with the best he's got for this season. Until one of these young QB'S steps up or we get a better QB, it looks like it's Fitz, Smith, Petty, and Hack right now today in that order.

And so the Geno saga continues and it makes for some entertaining reads on JN. Press on my Jet brothers and sisters, all I want is my Jets to do is win, 

We've had some Qbs over the years who were not franchise Qbs but capable of winning and we had some success but no SB yet. Qbs like Kenny O'Brien, Chad and Fitz. I totally believe you can win with a Qb like that and compete for a SB. But it's not that easy to win one. 

59 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sort of like the masses supporting IK for breaking Geno's jaw last year . 

No, actually.

No one should have supported IK for what he did.  But there is no sin in pointing out Geno's role in that event, and how he (Geno) could have taken some easy, amture, steps to ensure nothing like that ever could have happened.

I'm on record regularly pointing out that we Jets Fans should not boo Geno, and should never root for injury.

You, on the other hand, only seem to want some thin strawman 'justification' to make booing Fitz and rooting for his injury more acceptable.

It's never right, no matter who the player is or how much you may be disappointed in him, period.  

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

In all honestly, if the Jets were looking to trade Geno, that is what they would say. I'm not predicting it, but really until the final roster is set, that statement could ne misleading.

Exactly my feelings!

if Mac is somehow able to pull off a 5th round pick ... And then Petty's shoulder miraculously gets better ... OMG, I would bow down in worship!

i don't expect him to be being that devious at this time ... But if he were ... 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We've had some Qbs over the years who were not franchise Qbs but capable of winning and we had some success but no SB yet. Qbs like Kenny O'Brien, Chad and Fitz. I totally believe you can win with a Qb like that and compete for a SB. But it's not that easy to win one. 

Agreed. SB's have been won with the likes of Brad Johnson, Rypian, Hostetler,

4 minutes ago, ljr said:

Exactly my feelings!

if Mac is somehow able to pull off a 5th round pick ... And then Petty's shoulder miraculously gets better ... OMG, I would bow down in worship!

i don't expect him to be being that devious at this time ... But if he were ... 

$h*t ... Vikes out of bidding war :(

2 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Thats not the only thing that plagued this team. Outside of Bowles/Gailey/Macc I cant recall the last front office I felt comfortable with. Outside of Marshall/Decker/Enunwa I cant recall the last receiving corp I felt comfortable with. Our defense has always been solid over the years but the lack of competence in the front office/coaching staff and the absolute lack of talent on offense has plagued this team as well as any QB that we happen to come across. Im not saying that we "had a QB" but franchise QB's are very hard to come by. When you dont have one it would recommended even more so to begin putting talent around the QB you DO have. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt a franchise QB in any stretch of the imagination but he had one of the best QB performances in Jets history because of the talent put around him offensively. Its easy when you have a guy like Andrew Luck and just put the entire franchise on his shoulders and expect to be competitive every year because the team has him as a "franchise QB". 32 teams in this league and there are about 8 QB's that are truly "franchise QB's". 8! 

That doesnt mean that you cant win without one. There are a hand full of teams this century that have gone all the way to the superbowl without a franchise QB and its because they put talent around their QB. The Jets have been terrible at acquiring talent, keeping talent, replenishing talent putting talent on both sides of the ball, making sound decisions during trades etc. 

You dont necessarily need a franchise QB if you can get everything else. It seems like getting everything else is much easier than getting a franchise QB. Look at those 2 years when Sanchez first came. The guy wasnt "good", he was mediocre with good "moments", but as a team we won some games that many thought that we shouldnt and was 1 quarter away from the Superbowl 2 years in a row. Andrew Luck did something similar, but thats the only piece that the Colts actually have. Goes to show that you can replicate the same success as some other teams with franchise QB's while not having one. You just have to get the right guys in who know the game and how to build a team. I think we have that now. We went 10-6 last year and was 1 bad 4th quarter away from a playoff birth with a QB rated as the 25 best QB in the league....yet it was one of the most exciting seasons we've seen in about 5 to 6 years. No matter how anyone feels about Fitzpatrick, as a football team, coaching staff and front office...last year showed that this is what to expect from guys who know what the heck they're doing. 

I think the Jets will be okay, even if Hack is a bust and we dont get a Franchise QB. At the end of the day Macc has proven that he makes it a point to address problems with the team. I know for sure he's going to attack the offensive line and QB position (again) next offseason. 

57 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Petty played well against next wks new batch of insurance agents, I'll give you that.

And Geno played pretty poorly against a similar level of talent this preseason.

For the record, Geno played better than 'still rusty' Fitz in the camp.

Not in the preseason.  Keep dreaming of "Camp 2015" when Geno last "won" the job, the world has moved on.

Laughable thread because Geno didn't play the last PS game, showing clear intent to protect him against injury to back up a journeyman QB with injury history?

Well aware of where YOU and those like you stand on Fitz and injury.  If you rooted any harder for Fitz to get hurt or fail, I might start to wonder if you were planning a Nancy Kerrigan type assault.

Geno being named #2 is news to Geno haters.

It's not news.  It was never going to be news.  Petty may have outplayed Geno (and make no mistake, he did), but he'd have to have blown Geno's doors off and stayed healthy to win the #2 job, and even then NFL GM's are inherantly spineless creatures terrified or taking actual risks.  Macc didn't have to, he can have his cake and eat it too, keeping Geno "just in case" this year, while retaining Petty and Hack for the future.

Make no mistake, Geno Smith has no future in New York after this season.  

It's fascinating how people love to see him crash and burn.

No one loves it, but that didn't stop Geno from doing it anyway.  We'd all have loved if he, or Sanchez before him, proved the doubters wrong.  They didn't, and those of you living in the fantasy world of endless excuses and one more chance'ism can't change that.....only Geno can change that.  And he certainly didn't look or act like he was on that path this preseason.  

Same for Fitz, although posters like yourself seem to think Fitz wasn't at fault for his 3 picks and failure to score 23 points against Bills backups.  

Fitz was at fault for his three INT's.  Can't say it any more directly that that.  

He was a big part of why we lost, and we might have won had he done better, but he was just a part.  Not the whole reason.  

And if Fitz fails this year he should be replaced.  Difference between you and I is I'm not rooting for that happen.  You are.

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thats not the only thing that plagued this team. Outside of Bowles/Gailey/Macc I cant recall the last front office I felt comfortable with. Outside of Marshall/Decker/Enunwa I cant recall the last receiving corp I felt comfortable with. Our defense has always been solid over the years but the lack of competence in the front office/coaching staff and the absolute lack of talent on offense has plagued this team as well as any QB that we happen to come across. Im not saying that we "had a QB" but franchise QB's are very hard to come by. When you dont have one it would recommended even more so to begin putting talent around the QB you DO have. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt a franchise QB in any stretch of the imagination but he had one of the best QB performances in Jets history because of the talent put around him offensively. Its easy when you have a guy like Andrew Luck and just put the entire franchise on his shoulders and expect to be competitive every year because the team has him as a "franchise QB". 32 teams in this league and there are about 8 QB's that are truly "franchise QB's". 8! 

That doesnt mean that you cant win without one. There are a hand full of teams this century that have gone all the way to the superbowl without a franchise QB and its because they put talent around their QB. The Jets have been terrible at acquiring talent, keeping talent, replenishing talent putting talent on both sides of the ball, making sound decisions during trades etc. 

You dont necessarily need a franchise QB if you can get everything else. It seems like getting everything else is much easier than getting a franchise QB. Look at those 2 years when Sanchez first came. The guy wasnt "good", he was mediocre with good "moments", but as a team we won some games that many thought that we shouldnt and was 1 quarter away from the Superbowl 2 years in a row. Andrew Luck did something similar, but thats the only piece that the Colts actually have. Goes to show that you can replicate the same success as some other teams with franchise QB's while not having one. You just have to get the right guys in who know the game and how to build a team. I think we have that now. We went 10-6 last year and was 1 bad 4th quarter away from a playoff birth with a QB rated as the 25 best QB in the league....yet it was one of the most exciting seasons we've seen in about 5 to 6 years. No matter how anyone feels about Fitzpatrick, as a football team, coaching staff and front office...last year showed that this is what to expect from guys who know what the heck they're doing. 

I think the Jets will be okay, even if Hack is a bust and we dont get a Franchise QB. At the end of the day Macc has proven that he makes it a point to address problems with the team. I know for sure he's going to attack the offensive line and QB position (again) next offseason. 

One of the better posts I've read.  To add to it I don't believe Peyton Manning vintage 2015 was a franchise QB, he was a game manager last year.  The early Big Ben years he was more of a game manager than the franchise QB he is now.  When Russell Wilson won his first year he was more of a "niche" QB than a franchise QB at that time.  It is doable, you would rather have that franchise guy but they aren't easy to come by.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

And Geno played pretty poorly against a similar level of talent this preseason.

Lol 2nd stringers that make the team vs 3rd n 4th stringers that won't? Sure.

Not in the preseason.  Keep dreaming of "Camp 2015" when Geno last "won" the job, the world has moved on.

Besides that one pass to Decker, Fitz was pretty atrocious.

Well aware of where YOU and those like you stand on Fitz and injury.  If you rooted any harder for Fitz to get hurt or fail, I might start to wonder if you were planning a Nancy Kerrigan type assault.

That's the problem. You hate Geno n love Fitz. I see no upside in Fitz what so ever. And please don't bring up his 33 TDs n 10 wins. Sanchez had 32 TDs in 2011. 

It's not news.  It was never going to be news.  Petty may have outplayed Geno (and make no mistake, he did), but he'd have to have blown Geno's doors off and stayed healthy to win the #2 job, and even then NFL GM's are inherantly spineless creatures terrified or taking actual risks.  Macc didn't have to, he can have his cake and eat it too, keeping Geno "just in case" this year, while retaining Petty and Hack for the future.

Another lol. Geno is done here next year. Of course you go with Petty as #2 if the competition was even close. Frankly, save your non-sense.

Make no mistake, Geno Smith has no future in New York after this season.  

About as much future as Fitz does.

No one loves it, but that didn't stop Geno from doing it anyway.  We'd all have loved if he, or Sanchez before him, proved the doubters wrong.  They didn't, and those of you living in the fantasy world of endless excuses and one more chance'ism can't change that.....only Geno can change that.  And he certainly didn't look or act like he was on that path this preseason. 

Outplayed Fitz, who backed into the starting role cuz of his salary.

Fitz was at fault for his three INT's.  Can't say it any more directly that that.  

There's something we agree on. 

He was a big part of why we lost, and we might have won had he done better, but he was just a part.  Not the whole reason.  

D gave up 22 points and under 200 yards I believe after offense turned it over 3 times. You don't mean to blame that D, do you?

And if Fitz fails this year he should be replaced.  Difference between you and I is I'm not rooting for that happen.  You are.

Oh trust me, neither am I. I just don't have my hopes up as high as yours. Just ask the other 6 HCs and GMs. 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

No, actually.

No one should have supported IK for what he did.  But there is no sin in pointing out Geno's role in that event, and how he (Geno) could have taken some easy, amture, steps to ensure nothing like that ever could have happened.

I'm on record regularly pointing out that we Jets Fans should not boo Geno, and should never root for injury.

You, on the other hand, only seem to want some thin strawman 'justification' to make booing Fitz and rooting for his injury more acceptable.

It's never right, no matter who the player is or how much you may be disappointed in him, period.  

I've never booed Fitz, rooted for a injury or anything to that ilk.  I've simply pointed out what I view as flaws in his game and capabilities. 

Archived