One NFL Player You Can Be Sure Won't Be Taking A Knee During National Anthem On 9/11

Nostradamus

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Alot of veterans, myself included, don't see it that way.

Whether he meant it that way - or not, that's how many interpret it.

Like I have said numerous times, there are more appropriate venues to address this in.

On a national stage - during our country's national anthem - is not appropriate.

That's one of the best things about living in this country. People can have different opinions, with the freedom to express those opinions.

After growing up hearing stories about how my uncle was treated after coming home from Vietnam, I can't get too riled up about a crappy QB not standing for the National Anthem.

3 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

That's one of the best things about living in this country. People can have different opinions, with the freedom to express those opinions.

After growing up hearing stories about how my uncle was treated after coming home from Vietnam, I can't get too riled up about a crappy QB not standing for the National Anthem.

All the more reason you should.

Give my thanks to your Uncle for his service.

1 minute ago, Kevin L said:

+1 In the 60's they used to tell us to wear civilian clothes not our uniforms when traveling commercial air craft.. 

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

+1 In the 60's they used to tell us to wear civilian clothes not our uniforms when traveling commercial air craft.. 

Yup and that's the difference. People back then were actually protesting against the veterans.

I fail to see how Kaepernick kneeling to highlight the injustices in the black community has anything to do with the military.

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

ok, elaborate.  how does a young NFL player have no life experience ?

It's really simple Larz, but perhaps I should elaborate - so let me clarify.

When I say life experience, I am talking about life experience as an adult.

So, I'll ask you - what have the majority of these kids done outside of football?

I say majority, to acknowledge the handful of players (the minority) that do go out of their way to give back to their communities and help those less fortunate.

But they are few and far between.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It's really simple but perhaps I should elaborate - let me clarify.

When I say life experience, I am talking about life experience as an adult.

So, I'll ask you - what have the majority of these kids done outside of football?

I say majority, to acknowledge the handful of players (the minority) that do go out of their way to give back to their communities and help those less fortunate.

But they are few and far between.

I can say as a suburban white guy 49 years old my "adult experience" is about equivalent to a 13 year old black kid from the city. Do you remember curtis martins HOF speech ?  That is not especially unique.

I don't see the charity connection, but kaep has pledged $1,000,000 this year.  what have you pledged ?

you are just ranting now, you have no salient points so I'm done, lol

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

I can say as a suburban white guy 49 years old my "adult experience" is about equivalent to a 13 year old black kid from the city. Do you remember cirtis martins HOF speech ?  That is not especially unique.

I don't see the charity connection, but kaep has pledged $1,000,000 this year.  what have you pledged ?

you are just ranting now, you have no salient points so I'm done, lol

It went right over your head.

You assume right away that when I'm talking about those less fortunate and giving back to your community that this was about finances - I wasn't talking about charitable donations.

No worries, I don't have the time or the patience to explain it to you any further, enjoy the rest of your day.

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It went right over your head.

I wasn't talking about charitable donations.

No worries, enjoy the rest of your day.

You're just gonna ignore that "what is real life" question and "how can you understand what you havent been through" that I sent you huh? 

Never seen a guy so vocal yet so quiet at the same time. 

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You're just gonna ignore that "what is real life" question and "how can you understand what you havent been through" that I sent you huh? 

Good athletes get pampered from early on in their lives and if they make the Pro's become instant millionaires as opposed to getting out in the dog eat dog world and working hard to make something of yourself.. Oprah and many others came from poor back grounds and worked hard for their sucess.. I believe that was the point Arod meant.. 

2 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

He has a unique perspective and we can afford him credibility ON HIS LIFE.  I'll give you that. 

However, doing this disrespects the military who fought and died for his right to express his opinions.

He should have thought about THEM.  This tells me he's not too smart or doesn't give a sh*t about the vets.  Neither is good.

His credibility?  Tarnished IMO by his choosing this forum to lodge his protest.

Be happy to listen, learn and grow from his experiences but don't disrespect the vets during the national anthem.

That his actions disrespect the military is a matter of opinion that does not seem to be shared by all military, including some in this thread.  We've heard plenty of military supporting him as well.

No matter what he did, he was going to piss people off.  Especially those who's minds wouldn't be changed no matter what... But those people, and there are many of them, in this country and on JN, are a lost cause, and not the intended target of the message.

20 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Your opinion on the way someone chooses to protest doesn't trump his right to do so. The Constitution gives him that right, and the oath all service members took at MEPS meant that we were willing to defend that.

I get the passion behind his opinion. As a former service member myself (Airborne Infantry, no pogue sh*t), I'm ok with people exercising their constitutional right to free speech. America loves freedom of speech, until someone exercises it. Freedom of speech means freedom to express unpopular or even downright offensive ideas. Now, is the national anthem, which many see as symbolic of not only the country, but specifically service and sacrifice past and present, the best forum? Probably not. But the national anthem representing military service and sacrifice as part of patriotism is not the way everyone sees it, or not entirely. As a result, my stance is, I may not like it, but I'm willing to tolerate it. 

Freedom of speech tends to out dumb ideas as dumb, so if that is what you think Kaps is doing, then that's what will probably happen. Or it will stimulate dialogue. Or probably bit of both. 

35 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's fairly obvious that being a combat veteran is the only life experience that counts.  Everything else is lesser.

Funny thing though, this person can say things like, 'maybe kap didn't intend it to come off that way but it did' which is such an aggressive lack of self-awareness.

49 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Good athletes get pampered from early on in their lives and if they make the Pro's become instant millionaires as opposed to getting out in the dog eat dog world and working hard to make something of yourself.. Oprah and many others came from poor back grounds and worked hard for their sucess.. I believe that was the point Arod meant.. 

Pampered by people who are looking to be part of that athletes ability. The millionaire part is the problem with what he said in the first place. Most people look at athletes as some sort of pampered human who got everything while everyone else had to go and pay for tickets to go see that athlete has to go grind at a job that, if it werent for the money that THEY make they wouldnt be working that job at all. 

Those same athletes could have had leeches around them since junior high/high school that only wanted to be around because they saw the potential. Thats not pampered or even real love friendship. These are the same guys who get sued everytime they sneeze wrong. Guys who's own family will so things for a cut of the wealth, like the daddy that wasnt around then suddenly shows up when he realized his kid that he hasnt seen since he decided NOT to sign the birth certificate at the hospital 21 years ago. Or the 20 new cousins you have, or the girl that's suddenly pregnant, or the agents talking about how much they can do for you if you let them manage you and your money, etc...etc, etc. 

People who shamelessly spew their opinion about other people, their lives and their experiences and how "real it isnt" need to relax. Sure, you did a tour or two of service, and people respect you for that, however your service doesnt give you the right to disrespect other peoples experiences by saying that its somehow not up-to-par because of the choices that you decided to make with your own life. Atleast it was a choice. I grew up in NY in the 80's, I've seen sh*t no one in the world should ever see. You got kids growing up in the "Chiraq" section of Chicago right now that have seen live battlefield action in their own neighborhood but simply dont get a uniform, ask Derek Rose about Chiraq. 

You have athletes who are now targets for their celebrity status and wealth. Guys are now trapped by their own success and popularity. 

People have no idea what they're talking about. I have family members who were rather successful, Im related to Lynn Swann and I have two cousins that I grew up with that both had successful careers in music because they were drumming on buckets, tables or anything else they could hit with a stick ever since I was a baby with a runny nose. I've had Spike Lee and Savion Glover call my home looking for one of my cousins trying to get a piece of their talent, not realizing that they were calling my home (my moms house) because my cousin was homeless and was staying with us.

Guys are not being pampered when recruiters are coming to the house when they're 16-17 years old's with school trying to recruit them for college, selling them on "campus life" and "college girls" (and we know what we mean when I say girls). The majority of these people are simply trying to get a piece of your talent, and you have to be aware at a very young age of who's there for "you" and who's around for "a piece of you". 

People need to stick to their experiences and stop talking about other peoples as if they know anything about it verbatim. I wrote him because he said "that he could relate to my experiences", I wrote him on how we can completely disregard racism and I can show you how you have not a clue about my experiences. He decided not to respond to it. And if thats the case, I can respect that, but I'd appreciate it if those people with their experiences stop telling people they have no experience because they werent overseas doing what they were doing. This pedestal talk is ridiculous. People respect your service, but stop disrespecting people's experience when you have no clue about their experience. 

49 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Didn't see the question - but in any case, I'm not going to spoon feed you.

You're a grown man I'm assuming, so, figure it out.

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Well to those people that have been offended, I'll ask you - What have you done to give back to your country?

Here's the thing: you're the one who's obviously offended. You've decided to take what he's doing in a context that offends you, despite the fact that he's been clear that he means no disrespect to the military by his peaceful, silent protest. He even changed it up from sitting to taking a knee after talking with a service member in an effort to be more respectful while still getting his point across. 

"I have great respect for men and women that have fought for this country," Kaepernick stoically said during a media session Sunday.

[..]

Kaepernick’s lens is, in his words, that “there are a lot of things that are going on that are unjust, people aren't being held accountable for.”

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/08/29/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest-49ers

His is a civil dispute, not a military one, and it's working. In fact, you and like-minded folks making the conscious choice to be offended by his actions have propelled the conversation further, helping to put the spotlight where he wants it. 

Your protests don't serve to stop him. Your protests are making his protests more effective. 

37 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Pampered by people who are looking to be part of that athletes ability. The millionaire part is the problem with what he said in the first place. Most people look at athletes as some sort of pampered human who got everything while everyone else had to go and pay for tickets to go see that athlete has to go grind at a job that, if it werent for the money that THEY make they wouldnt be working that job at all. 

Those same athletes could have had leeches around them since junior high/high school that only wanted to be around because they saw the potential. Thats not pampered or even real love friendship. These are the same guys who get sued everytime they sneeze wrong. Guys who's own family will so things for a cut of the wealth, like the daddy that wasnt around then suddenly shows up when he realized his kid that he hasnt seen since he decided NOT to sign the birth certificate at the hospital 21 years ago. Or the 20 new cousins you have, or the girl that's suddenly pregnant, or the agents talking about how much they can do for you if you let them manage you and your money, etc...etc, etc. 

People who shamelessly spew their opinion about other people, their lives and their experiences and how "real it isnt" need to relax. Sure, you did a tour or two of service, and people respect you for that, however your service doesnt give you the right to disrespect other peoples experiences by saying that its somehow not up-to-par because of the choices that you decided to make with your own life. Atleast it was a choice. I grew up in NY in the 80's, I've seen sh*t no one in the world should ever see. You got kids growing up in the "Chiraq" section of Chicago right now that have seen live battlefield action in their own neighborhood but simply dont get a uniform, ask Derek Rose about Chiraq. 

You have athletes who are now targets for their celebrity status and wealth. Guys are now trapped by their own success and popularity. 

People have no idea what they're talking about. I have family members who were rather successful, Im related to Lynn Swann and I have two cousins that I grew up with that both had successful careers in music because they were drumming on buckets, tables or anything else they could hit with a stick ever since I was a baby with a runny nose. I've had Spike Lee and Savion Glover call my home looking for one of my cousins trying to get a piece of their talent, not realizing that they were calling my home (my moms house) because my cousin was homeless and was staying with us.

Guys are not being pampered when recruiters are coming to the house when they're 16-17 years old's with school trying to recruit them for college, selling them on "campus life" and "college girls" (and we know what we mean when I say girls). The majority of these people are simply trying to get a piece of your talent, and you have to be aware at a very young age of who's there for "you" and who's around for "a piece of you". 

People need to stick to their experiences and stop talking about other peoples as if they know anything about it verbatim. I wrote him because he said "that he could relate to my experiences", I wrote him on how we can completely disregard racism and I can show you how you have not a clue about my experiences. He decided not to respond to it. And if thats the case, I can respect that, but I'd appreciate it if those people with their experiences stop telling people they have no experience because they werent overseas doing what they were doing. This pedestal talk is ridiculous. People respect your service, but stop disrespecting people's experience when you have no clue about their experience. 

And what you said is exactly what Arod was talking about that's not the real world experience  most people have .. BTW whose life experience did I disrespect?? :blink:

21 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

When you go overseas for years on end and leave all of your family and friends behind to go to war for this country and lay your life on the line, day in and day out to protect it - then come and talk to me.

You AREN'T F_cking qualified - whether you like it or not.

You have no concept of the sacrifice that I and other veterans have made so that knuckleheads like you have the freedom to sit on your a$s and preach while your home safe and sound

I'm retired Air Force, deployed multiple times in the Middle East and elsewhere, and I have to say I like your passion.  However, I also have to say you are misguided in your attempt to categorize who is and isn't "qualified" to have an opinion. Your service doesn't make you the arbiter of who is worthy or not, any more than mine does. 

52 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And what you said is exactly what Arod was talking about that's not the real world experience  most people have .. BTW whose life experience did I disrespect?? :blink:

YOu didnt disrespect anyone's life experience, I was talking about Arod and his example that if you dont give back to your country in a fashion that he deems credible then you havent lived or had real life experiences.  You're good Savage. 

As for what he said, I think you're taking portions of what Arod said and associating it into a conversation that was a bit different. Arod said some things in particular that I responded to. He decided to avoid it. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

YOu didnt disrespect anyone's life experience, I was talking about Arod and his example that if you dont give back to your country in a fashion that he deems credible then you havent lived or had real life experiences.  You're good Savage. 

As for what he said, I think you're taking portions of what Arod said and associating it into a conversation that was a bit different. Arod said some things in particular that I responded to. He decided to avoid it. 

Speaking of life experiences it would be nice if MG could experience some of his with the Jets..;)

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

No, Arod is being disrespectful to anyone who didn't serve in the military suggesting that their opinion is less valid than his or that they don't even have a right to share their opinion or criticize his opinion.

No one is disrespecting anyone's service. In fact, Kaep clearly stated that he does not disrespect the military and even went out of his way to be more respectful of the military.

There is only one person in this thread missing any points or being disrespectful.

Here comes a controversial opinion:

Military guys are SO ******* annoying. They are like the crossfitters/vegans of the conservative side. Question: How do you know somebody is in the military? Answer: They'll tell you within 5 seconds of meeting you.

It's like they can't take their next breath without blabbering about their 'service'. Congratulations, you did a job that you got paid for, just like every other American. Nobody gives a sh*t. You are NO more a hero than the doctors, teachers, or firemen in this country (to name a few), stop putting your narcissistic self on a pedestal.

Please stop hijacking the flag and the anthem, it doesn't exclusively belong to you. Not everything is about you. Go back to the legion and drink a few beers, you're a civilian like everybody else.

21 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Insults - especially over the internet, are a matter of perception.

Perception is not always reality.

My apologies to anybody I offended.

I'm a Patriot through and through.

Walk a mile in my shoes - then go ahead and judge me.

If you can't walk a mile in my shoes - then you aren't in a position to judge me.

Well, based on my years of service versus yours, I have walked five times as many miles in your shoes. It still doesn't make my opinion anymore or less valid than anyone else's.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Limiting free speech is not subject to any contract ever. Come on. 

You need to read more contracts then. Players already get in trouble for what they say. Teachers, lawyers, police, firefighters, etc all have a code of conduct they follow. **** people that work for Disney do. 

If one of them stood on the corner with the sign John McClane was wearing in die hard they'd be fired so a contract  supersedes your rights. Military as well. 

Archived