Jets secondary

Dcronin

Get over giving all the credit to the schedule.  It's the most over blown reason.  You have to beat the teams on your schedule.   A weak schedule guarantees nothing.  Just as to keep saying literally one of the weakest schedules ever.  If that's all,it takes is an easy schedule how come the Bills and Fins with the same schedule, sucked? 

Because the bills and fins suck all over the place. We had and still have a semblance of a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Because the bills and fins suck all over the place. We had and still have a semblance of a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why we finished with a better record than both.  My point exactly

I agree talent is there, but I'm not putting it ALL on coaching. From the "miscommunication" references after the last few games, I think Bowles basically said these are very simple blown coverages and its been on persons mistake and a different player each time. 

So, yea the coaches need to fix that. But it also sounds like each time, each player should have known a basic assignment and blew it. For whatever reason, I don't know. I do know our secondary didn't look like this last year, so I'll give cautious optimism to the coaches that they will fix this.

On 10/2/2016 at 5:37 PM, shuler82 said:

Talent is there. Coaching is not. They seem out of position all of the time.

If the 'hawks game wasn't such a horror fest, I'd go back and take a look on how many wide...and I mean WIDE open receivers were running through our sieve of a secondary....man, it was like every other play...

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree talent is there, but I'm not putting it ALL on coaching. From the "miscommunication" references after the last few games, I think Bowles basically said these are very simple blown coverages and its been on persons mistake and a different player each time. 

So, yea the coaches need to fix that. But it also sounds like each time, each player should have known a basic assignment and blew it. For whatever reason, I don't know. I do know our secondary didn't look like this last year, so I'll give cautious optimism to the coaches that they will fix this.

I don't know how much sense it makes to say the talent is there.  Let's take Pryor.  In his third year, as a first round pick.  Is he playing up to his draft status?  Clearly not.  Is that on him or the CS?

From last year, when despite some early season problems apparently due to Cromartie being injured, to at least some extent for that reason, the Jets secondary on the whole was somewhat better than average by some metrics, and very good to excellent by others (such as completion percentage).  Cromartie is gone, but everyone else in the regular rotation is back.  So what happened?

Part of it is that M Williams is now playing about twice as many snaps.  That apparently is not helping.  Not the only reason, but it's been a net negative.  I think he's in trouble with man coverage.

Which brings us to a more significant reason.  The Jets CS seems to be choosing zones more than man coverage sets.  And not succeeding at it.  (To be clear I am NOT saying they did not play zone last year; just more of it this year.)

So I have a theory - perhaps the CS went into this year not thinking they would need to play zone as much.  THen they got beat on some deep routes with players like Revis in man coverage, and not comfortable with M Williams in man, either.  So they've dialed up the zones, but are having trouble communicating who is responsible.

That may sound like a coaching problem, but is it really?  What it says to me is the personnel is not capable of playing man effectively, forcing the CS to go to more zone on the fly as it were.  Meanwhile even in zone Pryor is regressing, Revis is noticeably slower, and M. Williams has not transitioned to being a more constant presence on the field.

Better coaching will help, and maybe they can improve.  But it can't be all on the coaching.  These guys are just not talented enough to play the D the team needs them to play.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:37 PM, shuler82 said:

Talent is there. Coaching is not. They seem out of position all of the time.

Not sure what happened between this year and last to cause this dropoff. The only difference is Cro is gone, of course that can't possibly be it. Has anything changed in the coaching? Is someone coaching them? 

Archived