Lets look at 2017

CanadaSteve

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wait a second.

Maybe my math is fuzzy, but that's roughly the same # of holes compared to when these guys first got here two offseasons ago, except minus $50M/yr in available cap space with which to help fill said holes.

Damn this ****ing team. 

I definitely agree there are still a lot of problems to be fixed but the situation is not comparable unless you completely forget how bad the team was in 2014 and the lack of even decent backups. FFS we were playing safeties at starting CB because we had no starters and no depth. All we had at WR was Decker. The OL was worse. Nothing at LB. Our future at QB was Geno Smith and Matt Simms. 

We're still short a lot of long term options as starters but we have a lot of positions with depth and young players that may mature into legitimate starters in the next year or two. We have two young QBs who might be the guy. Virtually every unit on the field is better than it was two years ago.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) In a year you are bad, suck the whole way until you land a top pick to have a chance at drafting the top qb in a year where there is a qb worth drafting. So basically don't suck out a meaningless win in a 4-12 season. 

2) invest in the offensive line. Invest in top rb. Invest in young talented wrs. 

3) Stop investing so top heavy in defense. For a team that has drafted defense and spent a large percentage of our cap in the secondary, we've underperformed in passing yards allowed, points allowed, and turnovers forced

4) ******* get a dart board for our second round picks because whoever is pulling the trigger is god awful 

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

1) In a year you are bad, suck the whole way until you land a top pick to have a chance at drafting the top qb in a year where there is a qb worth drafting. So basically don't suck out a meaningless win in a 4-12 season. 

2) invest in the offensive line. Invest in top rb. Invest in young talented wrs. 

3) Stop investing so top heavy in defense. For a team that has drafted defense and spent a large percentage of our cap in the secondary, we've underperformed in passing yards allowed, points allowed, and turnovers forced

4) ******* get a dart board for our second round picks because whoever is pulling the trigger is god awful 

The colts sucked for Luck the last sure-fire can't loose QB - how has the worked out for them?

I created a thread where I looked at the last 12 years of drafting QBs in the first round and found that less then %30 of them worked out well (not SB but well) and it took about 3-4 years for them to compete. This was true whether they were drafted in the early part of the round (1 & 2) as well as the later part of the round. But yeah, let's lose the rest of our games this year, to roll the dice on a QB and then suck for the next 3 years - so have 4 years of suckitude for a 30% of hitting on a QB; meanwhile our fans can't accept one bad year after our 10-6 year. Plus, sucking for a top pick most likely garauntees that the FO will be gone in 2 to 3 years - so yeah Mac and Bowles are going to sign right up for that...

BTW, some decent QBs starters recently have been found in

round 2: Carr 2014, Osweller 2012; Dalton, Kapernick 2011

round 3: Wilson, (Foles) - 2011; 

round 4: K Cousins - 2011;

backups round 2 & 3: Garapalo, Glennon

Late in Round 1:

Bridgewater 32 in 2014; Flaco 18 in 2008; Rodgers 24 in 2005; and Rapesberger (not late in round) 11 in 2004

So you don't have to pick in round 1; and when you do, you don't have to pick in top ten; so sucking for a QB just doesn't make sense.

Rapesberger was drafted  

The notion that Mcc had to spend money on high priced FA to hit the floor and that this didn't set us back financially long term is simply incorrect.

To see why, simply assume that they had paid Wilk in 2015, and frontloaded his contract with 40 million in the first year, 20 million in the second.  We would now enter 2017 without all the remaining big contracts of aging stars, and we would have one bonafide star with 5 years remaining with a super cheap salary cap.

meanwhile we would have a ton of money to spend on free agents.

so yes, there is no free lunch.  When u spend money on big free agents it does take away from the future.  Or alternatively if u don't spend the money now and want it to be available in the future, you can arrange it to be transferred into the future by restructuring contracts.

when a team is rebuilding you likely want that money transferred into the future, when u want to win now you spend it.

i personally thought it was a bit presumptuous to go all in like they did last year when they lacked the franchise qb.  That makes more sense for a team like Indy or the Saints.

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I am not looking at the future anymore.  Waste of time.  Until this franchise drafts a very good QB, or fringe Hall of Famer, there is no future. 

The Jets continue to do the same thing regime after regime. Hiring Charlie Casserly to put together your franchise is no less embarrassing than Korn Ferry.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It absolutely is. The only question is which quarterback, wideout, and/or edge rusher we pass on.

My bet is we pass on a stud plug and play LT who can start the next decade because Clady stayed healthy a full season and didn't completely suck. They extend him 5 years and he blows out both knees in the first OTA. 

44 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets continue to do the same thing regime after regime. Hiring Charlie Casserly to put together your franchise is no less embarrassing than Korn Ferry.

This is worse. Korn Ferry does this for a living, has some hits to point to (Schneider being the biggest), and had to limit their pool to people willing to keep Rex. What evidence was there that Casserly had anything whatsoever to contribute to this process? Even if Woody was dead-set on going the advisor route, Accorsi is a guy who built a championship team in the same stadium in the last decade. Even when Woody steps aside, he ****s everything up. It's staggering.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

This is worse. Korn Ferry does this for a living, has some hits to point to (Schneider being the biggest), and had to limit their pool to people willing to kee Rex. What evidence was there that Casserly had anything whatsoever to contribute to this process? Even if Woody was dead-set on going the advisor route, Accorsi is a guy who built a championship team in the same stadium in the last decade. Even when Woody steps aside, he ****s everything up. It's staggering.

I believe @Miss Lonelyhearts alluded to it earlier, but who the hell is actually in charge of the Jets right now?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I believe @Miss Lonelyhearts alluded to it earlier, but who the hell is actually in charge of the Jets right now?

He's been banging that drum for a while, and he's exactly right. With a couple of brief interludes, no one has really been in charge since Parcells left. The really dumbfounding thing is that anyone could come out of the Idzik/Rex CF and then, less than a month later, hire the next GM and coach separately. At this point it's clear that the team is going to have to trip over a QB to win anything, because we're never building a big boy organization as long as Woody signs the checks.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes because it was played at the Meadowlands. Didn't have to go far. 

Ah.  Didn't know that.  Was stuck working an ER shift at work last weekend so I caught just about nothing football related. 

I like Deshone quite a bit.  Might have to work on his ball placement a tad (which isn't awful by any stretch), but other than that there is a lot to like.  Solid footwork, mobility, good head on his shoulders, cannon arm, great pocket presence, clean mechanics that remind me of Russell Wilson (who's mechanics reminded me of Drew Brees) but he's got a much taller and thicker physique than Russell.  He keeps up this play and declares, he may just surpass Kaaya as my top QB this spring.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:50 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

I am not overstating. I could have suggested many "easy" solutions and more when they took over. It's not some stroke of genius to spend like crazy on players who mostly aren't worth what they're getting as FAs.

Plus a $16M FS? Lol. That's brilliant.

What was more brilliant was the Revis signing in the first place. Thanks Mac.

On 10/5/2016 at 5:27 PM, rex-n-effect said:

I definitely agree there are still a lot of problems to be fixed but the situation is not comparable unless you completely forget how bad the team was in 2014 and the lack of even decent backups. FFS we were playing safeties at starting CB because we had no starters and no depth. All we had at WR was Decker. The OL was worse. Nothing at LB. Our future at QB was Geno Smith and Matt Simms. 

We're still short a lot of long term options as starters but we have a lot of positions with depth and young players that may mature into legitimate starters in the next year or two. We have two young QBs who might be the guy. Virtually every unit on the field is better than it was two years ago.

50 mill and 13 draft picks and how can't it be better.  But it could have been much more stable and promising. It's mediocre and still filled with gaping holes and over the hill players at key positions. One part matures, the other degenerates, the other underperforms. This is a middle of the pack team. Not terrible, not elite. It has lots of good young talent so the key is to hit on the draft picks at key positions and spend on the right players in FA. Mac IMO has not fared all that well regarding this. Jury is still out on his ability to lead this team in the right direction. The Raiders and Jags are 2 teams on the upswing. Hopefully we can be as well. Next year will be very telling and a turning point with Mac's tenure as GM. 

On 10/5/2016 at 8:54 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Seriously? A CB at 5?!

No way we pick at 5. We will pick in the late teens. Will finish around 9-7, 8-8  or 7-9. That's a mid to late teen pick. OT or CB would be the need and we could grab a good one there. 

On 10/5/2016 at 8:43 PM, T0mShane said:

Matt Miller just posted his new 2017 mock draft and he has the Jets picking a CB at 5. I just need to express how furious I am about this. 

Fret not. We are not picking at five. This team is not that bad and with the easier 2nd half schedule will win enough games to ensure we get a mid round pick at 13-17. But suppose we pick at 5, who's your pick and why????

6 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Fret not. We are not picking at five. This team is not that bad and with the easier 2nd half schedule will win enough games to ensure we get a mid round pick at 13-17. But suppose we pick at 5, who's your pick and why????

I would pick the QB, but I don't think they'll do it because of Hackenberg. I also think a 4-12 finish isn't out of the question because Fitzpatrick has returned to the mean and Revis is shot. There's no hiding those voids.

Just now, T0mShane said:

I would pick the QB, but I don't think they'll do it because of Hackenberg. I also think a 4-12 finish isn't out of the question because Fitzpatrick has returned to the mean and Revis is shot. There's no hiding those voids.

4-12 ? I know it's been a disappointing start but after the next 2 games our schedule turns into Mr. Softie. Fitz will rebound and pick 5 is a pipe dream. And I wholeheartedly agree Mac will not pick a QB at 5 if given the opportunity. He is enamored with Hack and would look like a fool for wasting a #2 on him only to pick another QB at 5. But anyways what QB? Kizer will surely be gone. 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How about this mock from Walters with pick 8??

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Miami_logo.gif

Miami_logo.gif 
The Jets won't waste any time handing in their card if they're on the clock with a franchise quarterback available. Everyone has finally seen through the Ryan Fitzpatrick farce, while Christian Hackenberg doesn't have any sort of long-term prospects, as evidenced by Todd Bowles' unwillingness to play him in the preseason. 

Brad Kaaya has played brilliantly this year and may eventually pass Deshaun Watson. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php#o3muQGMRWo2Hlr2T.99

8 minutes ago, Powpow said:

4-12 ? I know it's been a disappointing start but after the next 2 games our schedule turns into Mr. Softie. Fitz will rebound and pick 5 is a pipe dream. And I wholeheartedly agree Mac will not pick a QB at 5 if given the opportunity. He is enamored with Hack and would look like a fool for wasting a #2 on him only to pick another QB at 5. But anyways what QB? Kizer will surely be gone. 

The consensus top three seems to be Kizer, Watson, and Kaaya. He'll have his shot at one of them. As for 4-12, Marshall is banged up, Decker is hurt, Forte looks washed, and Fitzpatrick looks like Fitzpatrick always looks the year after he gets paid. I think they have some serious issues, regardless of who's on the schedule.

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

How about this mock from Walters with pick 8??

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/Miami_logo.gif

Miami_logo.gif 
The Jets won't waste any time handing in their card if they're on the clock with a franchise quarterback available. Everyone has finally seen through the Ryan Fitzpatrick farce, while Christian Hackenberg doesn't have any sort of long-term prospects, as evidenced by Todd Bowles' unwillingness to play him in the preseason. 

Brad Kaaya has played brilliantly this year and may eventually pass Deshaun Watson. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php#o3muQGMRWo2Hlr2T.99

Yeah, I'm just not sure Macc will have the guts to do it.

Archived