Time To Start Hack

PCP63

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about petty? You have no clue! Hack is bad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Both Petty and Hack should see extended playing time the rest of the year.

It's not like Fitz is capable of taking the Jets anywhere.

Every game Fitz starts, it sets the Jets back further and further.

See what you have with the 2 kids.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

I know I'm in the VAST minority, but I think we should go for it. Is he 100% NFL ready? As one of his ardent supporters who thought he was the most NFL-ready, I will say that no, he's not.

A lot of people say that you don't want to throw him into the fire, because it'll ruin him. With that being said, wouldn't him being "ruined" just by a season of poor play mean he wasn't our guy anyways? If he's that mentally weak, we don't want him. If not? Then he'll gain valuable live-game experience as he grows. You're just expediting the discovery process, learning whether he's your guy or not. 

His decision-making is not the problem. He makes the right reads, the right check downs, the right audibles. He's a smart kid. People say he's too inaccurate. Well, that's what the coaches are for. Remember, this problem wasn't even close to as bad until Penn's coaches made him switch up his footwork. Once the coaches can identify and fix that problem, his accuracy should improve greatly. Just takes rep after rep of practice.

But he has the tools. He's big, he's smart, and he has a good arm. Once his footwork issues are handled, he should be quite a QB.

We're not making the playoffs this season. No use in starting a QB that will just get us a mid draft pick and no hope.

I know you are eager but Hack still needs to polish up changing some of his mechanics and footwork.  Its not just footwork either, thats just one part of what needs to be fixed,  He releases too high as well causing a lot of upward drift under his throws.  He needs repetitions, like just individual drills to focus on just fixing those mechanics thousands of times.  Putting him into live action this year could stunt "forgetting the muscle memory of his negative mechanics" and cause regression due to focusing on too much at once.  If anything you might see him week 17 but before that it has to be Petty.  Petty will be going into his 3rd year next year, we need to know now before next season if he is at least well off enough to be the #2 on this team.  The good thing about Hack is from the little we have seen, he can read defenses, he can make progression reads and he seems so far to have the ability to be decisive in an NFL second.   I'm still high on him but I would also be disappointed if Macc didn't draft another QB again next year because you just never know if he will ever 100% fix his mechanics and not rely on his arm to compensate for said mechanics.

13 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Ricky Ray - won like 15 Grey Cups or something.  Everyone's a winner once they leave the jets.

Well a couple before and one after.  He's actually the reason I started following the Jets and he would have been a decent QB, far better than a lot of the dreck we have trotted out since then.

43 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Its Petty next up, the question is how soon?

As soon as this coaching staff rips whats left of this teams heart out and we are eliminated from the playoffs then we can see what Petty can do with a team that will no doubt have given up.

12 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I know you are eager but Hack still needs to polish up changing some of his mechanics and footwork.  Its not just footwork either, thats just one part of what needs to be fixed,  He releases too high as well causing a lot of upward drift under his throws.  He needs repetitions, like just individual drills to focus on just fixing those mechanics thousands of times.  Putting him into live action this year could stunt "forgetting the muscle memory of his negative mechanics" and cause regression due to focusing on too much at once.  If anything you might see him week 17 but before that it has to be Petty.  Petty will be going into his 3rd year next year, we need to know now before next season if he is at least well off enough to be the #2 on this team.  The good thing about Hack is from the little we have seen, he can read defenses, he can make progression reads and he seems so far to have the ability to be decisive in an NFL second.   I'm still high on him but I would also be disappointed if Macc didn't draft another QB again next year because you just never know if he will ever 100% fix his mechanics and not rely on his arm to compensate for said mechanics.

Saw a quote from the QB coach not too long ago saying that they werent going to work on his mechanics during the season.  I think there is a better shot of signing someone off the street than Hack seeing the field this year.

13 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Saw a quote from the QB coach not too long ago saying that they werent going to work on his mechanics during the season.  I think there is a better shot of signing someone off the street than Hack seeing the field this year.

If my QB Coach said that (I'm an OC at the HS level), I'd fire him immediately.

You can focus on winning AND teach simultaneously.

1 minute ago, PCP63 said:

idk, maybe it does speak to them using him in a pinch as a last resort.  have him concentrate on the system rather than mechanics.  really, our qb situation is a cluster fck with fitz sh*tting the bed thus far...

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tebow....Manziel.....Hackenburg

First two are option QBs (nothing wrong with that, and I actually prefer it), Hack is an UC guy (not saying option can't be UC... hell, I run the Flexbone). Not a valid comparison.

Just now, gEYno said:

A fan base that's aware of his performance in college?

I know where your coming from with that EY I have seen you post it before. But when Hack was in his first year under Obrien as a freshman he was doing quite well and there was talk about him becoming the next no brainer. that fell apart quickly and the offense was over hauled and the offensive line was so bad it was beyond belief. The kid has the tools, so don't you think we should reserve criticism until he actually has time to learn and play the NFL game ? He had a couple of nice drives in pre season with very little work in training camp. He will no doubt be in the conversation next year lets see what happens. I have an issue with basically bashing a kid who had not played a down yet nor had much time at all doing anything

Hack is still shell shocked from getting sacked so much in college give the kid some time to get his confidence back and unfu*k himself. In my opinion he is a two year project, hopefully he is ready to go by next year. Hack will not see the field this year unless it's like the last couple of games and Petty sh*ts the bed.

49 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Agree. Wasting a year of this kids career on top of wasting a roster spot is absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Yeah Gailey I think said something along the lines of not changing too much too soon.  See what mechanics work (that may not be the most perfect mechanic but lots of successful QBs do things differently, i.e. Rivers throwing motion) and only fix those mechanics that require the attention.  This method helps b/c its probably easier to tweak some mechanics then outright throw out the window what he is doing and make him start all over from scratch.  If it works out we might see a drastically improved 2nd year.  I personally don't think he will ever become a super accurate passer, I liken him to Eli Manning, there will be some inconsistency there but he can compensate for a lot of it.

15 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Yeah Gailey I think said something along the lines of not changing too much too soon.  See what mechanics work (that may not be the most perfect mechanic but lots of successful QBs do things differently, i.e. Rivers throwing motion) and only fix those mechanics that require the attention.  This method helps b/c its probably easier to tweak some mechanics then outright throw out the window what he is doing and make him start all over from scratch.  If it works out we might see a drastically improved 2nd year.  I personally don't think he will ever become a super accurate passer, I liken him to Eli Manning, there will be some inconsistency there but he can compensate for a lot of it.

Yup, mechanics aren't universal. Hell, how I finally got through to my QB (a guy I converted from punter, lol) was by teaching him a very unorthodox grip that I personally use (and find it works for lefties). Like this:

h8y5GYc.jpg

59 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Hack is still shell shocked from getting sacked so much in college give the kid some time to get his confidence back and unfu*k himself. In my opinion he is a two year project, hopefully he is ready to go by next year. Hack will not see the field this year unless it's like the last couple of games and Petty sh*ts the bed.

Well, Hack not only makes good reads, he makes QUICK reads. Gailey has helped Fitz get the ball out very quickly this year, and our line protection, as a result of less pressure on them to block for longer periods of time, has gotten MUCH better. One of the highest-rated in the NFL, if I'm not mistaken. It couldn't get any worse than his time at PSU anyways.

The grip right there is very interesting. I actually learned it when I was a pitcher in little league. Even though I sucked, I threw some very odd curves and sinkers that were very hard to hit.

I gripped my four-seam the opposite way I was taught to. Gave me MUCH better accuracy (however, lower velocity).

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Anytime someone asks a Jets official if Bryce Petty can play, everyone in the organization acts as if you just asked if a puppy could pilot a spaceship. 

The question I would ask a JETS official, if the super bowl champions Denver trust a rookie to drive, fly, pilot their Broncos spaceship why can't the JETS trust a second year player to drive the 1960 beetle seating idle for almost 50 years.  That green beetle need a push - seriously

56 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

The grip right there is very interesting. I actually learned it when I was a pitcher in little league. Even though I sucked, I threw some very odd curves and sinkers that were very hard to hit.

I gripped my four-seam the opposite way I was taught to. Gave me MUCH better accuracy (however, lower velocity).

Thats really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Archived