Time To Start Hack

PCP63

Saw nearly all Hack's games in college. Promising start..but skills and poise declined ...as he acquired more experience.  I don't buy the idea that it's all the coaches fault and lack of supporting personnel. With and without pressure his play was often cringe-worthy.

not surprised scouts are so down on his early work in the NFL.

Will never will give up on a guy with his size and arm...but not optimistic. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I know where your coming from with that EY I have seen you post it before. But when Hack was in his first year under Obrien as a freshman he was doing quite well and there was talk about him becoming the next no brainer. that fell apart quickly and the offense was over hauled and the offensive line was so bad it was beyond belief. The kid has the tools, so don't you think we should reserve criticism until he actually has time to learn and play the NFL game ? He had a couple of nice drives in pre season with very little work in training camp. He will no doubt be in the conversation next year lets see what happens. I have an issue with basically bashing a kid who had not played a down yet nor had much time at all doing anything

Smash - you were the originator of the weapinzzz argument.  Now you're going to tell me that the main difference was the coach rather than the fact that the majority of his stats and highlights from year one came as a result of throwing the ball up to what is now one of the nfl's best young receivers.  That it was all the coach seems like wishful thinking and that he was great as a freshman is revisionist and ignores the enormous role that Robinson played in making him look good.  Also, I remember one good drive and then 3 quarters against guys who aren't in the league where he was completely ineffective.  I disliked the pick when we made it and there has been no reason for me to feel any differently since then.  I hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Both better than Hackenberg's

The gist of my post was that a player's performance in college good or bad is never 100% indicative of how he will play in the NFL. There are so many factors in whether a player will flourish or flounder as he matures . There are his personal surroundings and mental maturation, the system he's drafted into , the coaching and pro level staff the player is afforded . I can go on and on and on , but why bother you've expertly analyzed that  Hack is a bust by watching his college career and a handful of practices and pre season games  - bravo !!!!

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

The gist of my post was that a player's performance in college good or bad is never 100% indicative of how he will play in the NFL. There are so many factors in whether a player will flourish or flounder as he matures . There are his personal surroundings and mental maturation, the system he's drafted into , the coaching and pro level staff the player is afforded . I can go on and on and on , but why bother you've expertly analyzed that  Hack is a bust by watching his college career and a handful of practices and pre season games  - bravo !!!!

I got the gist of your post.  Great point!!! You're totally right...  We don't know for certain that Hack will suck, even if all the evidence we have thus far suggests he will.  We also don't know for sure that the Jets don't win their next 11 games 45-0, and go on to win the Super Bowl by double that margin.  Hey, it's possible!!!!

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I got the gist of your post.  Great point!!! You're totally right...  We don't know for certain that Hack will suck, even if all the evidence we have thus far suggests he will.  We also don't know for sure that the Jets don't win their next 11 games 45-0, and go on to win the Super Bowl by double that margin.  Hey, it's possible!!!!

The guy hasn't even taken a snap in a real NFL game . All the evidence is gamefilm from a program left devoid of talent from a scandal. The kid stuck it out at PSU when he could have bolted to a much better situation. This speaks volumes on his  leadership  but go ahead break down that gamefilm where PSU's Oline is getting destroyed and Hack is getting shell shocked . He needs fixing, but some Jet fans are too impatient for that apparently. 

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The guy hasn't even taken a snap in a real NFL game . All the evidence is gamefilm from a program left devoid of talent from a scandal. The kid stuck it out at PSU when he could have bolted to a much better situation. This speaks volumes on his  leadership  but go ahead break down that gamefilm where PSU's Oline is getting destroyed and Hack is getting shell shocked . He needs fixing, but some Jet fans are too impatient for that apparently. 

So tell us about this QB grooming school.

Bowles was quoted as saying this is Hackenberg's redshirt year, so I'm fairly confident we won't be seeing him anytime soon. The good news is that he is taking the majority of the scout team reps, so he may be getting the second most snaps of any of the QBs.

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

I wasn't totally opposed to going to Hack if Fitz struggled after he was picked.  

After seeing him in person in the PS against the Eagles, I have no desire to get him on the field at all this year.  He legitimately looked like a below-average HS QB.

Hey, are you the Glenn that's on jetnation radio?

I hope Macc has to start Hackenberg next year. I want him to fall on that sword, one way or another. Face the music. Unless we take blue chip franchise QB at the top of rnd #1 (which is hard to imagine with this year's crop) then I need to know where things sit with everyone come 2018. We can't continue on with this game of QB snakes and ladders. Either go big, or show your hand.  

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

I hope Macc has to start Hackenberg next year. I want him to fall on that sword, one way or another. Face the music. Unless we take blue chip franchise QB at the top of rnd #1 (which is hard to imagine with this year's crop) then I need to know where things sit with everyone come 2018. We can't continue on with this game of QB snakes and ladders. Either go big, or show your hand.  

I don't love this QB class.

10 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Tebow was a fantastic guy too!

And Hack's freshman year was wildly overrated.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:10 PM, PCP63 said:

I like Petty, but I think his ceiling is a lot lower than Hack's. I'm sure Petty could be a fine player, but I honestly believe that, with some work and experience, Hack could eventually be our franchise QB.

Here's the thing: I think it's based a good amount on perception due to draft slot. Meanwhile, had Petty been drafted in the bottom of round 2 and Hackenberg the top of round 4, it wouldn't have been terribly shocking. 

44 minutes ago, section314 said:

Refresh my memory. For years, didn't the majority of Jet fans blame much of Sanchez and Geno's failures on the Jets rushing them on the field too soon? Now, we have a GM and coach who are doing exactly the opposite with Hack, and now that's wrong? Give me a break.

These same fans would give Petty 3 games Hack 2 and then be talking about tanking for a top pick or trading a ransom to get Drew Brees. 

I think as soon as he's healthy, Petty should start....and if he falters......put in Hack towards the end of the year to see what we have.  Truth be told, other teams, GOOD teams, mind you, like the Pats and Cowboys aren't afraid to throw their rookie QB's to the wolves, so why should we?  If Hack is in fact a stiff, it would benefit the the Jets to find that out THIS year as opposed to next year or the year after.  I've said it before and I'll say it again - getting reps in practice and "experience" by riding the bench generally doesn't change who a QB is.  For the most part, the modern QB comes into the league ready to play, or not.  No amount of coaching or experience will ever make a BAD QB a good QB.  

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Refresh my memory. For years, didn't the majority of Jet fans blame much of Sanchez and Geno's failures on the Jets rushing them on the field too soon? Now, we have a GM and coach who are doing exactly the opposite with Hack, and now that's wrong? Give me a break.

No I recall people blaming them for sucking on the fact that they sucked

On 10/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, PCP63 said:

Yup, mechanics aren't universal. Hell, how I finally got through to my QB (a guy I converted from punter, lol) was by teaching him a very unorthodox grip that I personally use (and find it works for lefties). Like this:

h8y5GYc.jpg

Well, Hack not only makes good reads, he makes QUICK reads. Gailey has helped Fitz get the ball out very quickly this year, and our line protection, as a result of less pressure on them to block for longer periods of time, has gotten MUCH better. One of the highest-rated in the NFL, if I'm not mistaken. It couldn't get any worse than his time at PSU anyways.

True. I am just concerned about his accuracy and confidence. I would like him to sit a full year unless the CS thinks he is ready.  I want to see Petty sooner rather than later and see where Hack is next year, but hey, what do I know. 

Archived