Time To Start Hack

PCP63

I know I'm in the VAST minority, but I think we should go for it. Is he 100% NFL ready? As one of his ardent supporters who thought he was the most NFL-ready, I will say that no, he's not.

A lot of people say that you don't want to throw him into the fire, because it'll ruin him. With that being said, wouldn't him being "ruined" just by a season of poor play mean he wasn't our guy anyways? If he's that mentally weak, we don't want him. If not? Then he'll gain valuable live-game experience as he grows. You're just expediting the discovery process, learning whether he's your guy or not. 

His decision-making is not the problem. He makes the right reads, the right check downs, the right audibles. He's a smart kid. People say he's too inaccurate. Well, that's what the coaches are for. Remember, this problem wasn't even close to as bad until Penn's coaches made him switch up his footwork. Once the coaches can identify and fix that problem, his accuracy should improve greatly. Just takes rep after rep of practice.

But he has the tools. He's big, he's smart, and he has a good arm. Once his footwork issues are handled, he should be quite a QB.

We're not making the playoffs this season. No use in starting a QB that will just get us a mid draft pick and no hope.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm in the VAST minority, but I think we should go for it. Is he 100% NFL ready? As one of his ardent supporters who thought he was the most NFL-ready, I will say that no, he's not.

A lot of people say that you don't want to throw him into the fire, because it'll ruin him. With that being said, wouldn't him being "ruined" just by a season of poor play mean he wasn't our guy anyways? If he's that mentally weak, we don't want him. If not? Then he'll gain valuable live-game experience as he grows. You're just expediting the discovery process, learning whether he's your guy or not. 

His decision-making is not the problem. He makes the right reads, the right check downs, the right audibles. He's a smart kid. People say he's too inaccurate. Well, that's what the coaches are for. Remember, this problem wasn't even close to as bad until Penn's coaches made him switch up his footwork. Once the coaches can identify and fix that problem, his accuracy should improve greatly. Just takes rep after rep of practice.

But he has the tools. He's big, he's smart, and he has a good arm. Once his footwork issues are handled, he should be quite a QB.

We're not making the playoffs this season. No use in starting a QB that will just get us a mid draft pick and no hope.

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I know I'm in the VAST minority

At least you're somewhat self-aware.  At least there is that.

Hack is very clearly not ready.  For Top-tier D1 College-level play.

He's not remotely ready for the Pro game.

Start this thread again...in 2018.

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

I for one support this. If team decides to bench Fitzy, it should be Petty or Hack. These are precious reps. No reason to burn them on Geno. Let's give the young kids a chance. 

I like Petty, but I think his ceiling is a lot lower than Hack's. I'm sure Petty could be a fine player, but I honestly believe that, with some work and experience, Hack could eventually be our franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I like Petty, but I think his ceiling is a lot lower than Hack's. I'm sure Petty could be a fine player, but I honestly believe that, with some work and experience, Hack could eventually be our franchise QB.

That is not the point. It is a question of readiness.  Petty has spent a year in the system and looked good in limited action.  Hack was drafted with the notion that 2016 was going to be a red shirt year and to get him up to speed for 2017 and beyond.  That is part of the reason they resigned Fitz to act as a bridge (something I was against, as I would have let Geno and Petty compete for the starting job).  Hack will not see the field this year unless it is the last few games of the season. 

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Absurd notion.  Petty is first and it isn't even close enough to warrant a discussion with regards to Hack.

An argument could be made for Geno even if one doesn't agree.

But Hack?  Child please...

This 100%

Folks need to think on this...

Hack wasn't even good enough to get into preseason games and garner reps in practice.  Now he is supposed to magically come in after getting third team reps and do what precisely?

Come on....

The guy needs at least one off season of getting more reps and being a little more accurate.

IMO......No HC in the NFL would start Hack in this circumstance... NONE!!

16 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This 100%

Folks need to think on this...

Hack wasn't even good enough to get into preseason games and garner reps in practice.  Now he is supposed to magically come in after getting third team reps and do what precisely?

Come on....

The guy needs at least one off season of getting more reps and being a little more accurate.

IMO......No HC in the NFL would start Hack in this circumstance... NONE!!

We saw very little of him. He had one bad half. Before that, he actually played pretty well. 

The coaches not giving him PT indicates nothing, especially when it comes to coaches of the Jets.

I wasn't totally opposed to going to Hack if Fitz struggled after he was picked.  

After seeing him in person in the PS against the Eagles, I have no desire to get him on the field at all this year.  He legitimately looked like a below-average HS QB.

52 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the "Aaron Rodgers waited 4 years to start" concept is not going to work.

But clearly Petty is at least a back up QB next year, number 2.  And Hack should be a 3, not a 2, and maybe even a 2.

I'm glad I don't have to interview now for a job I want 2 years from now.

1 hour ago, Fibonacci said:

I for one support this. If team decides to bench Fitzy, it should be Petty or Hack. These are precious reps. No reason to burn them on Geno. Let's give the young kids a chance. 

Excellent point, why spend high draft picks on QB's and not play them.  It is time, the time has come, time is of the essence please start the kids now.

We all want to see the kid play but Mac and Bowles aren't like Rex/izdik/fat man. They aren't going to rush and throw these kids to the wolves like they did with Sanchez/geno. Despite what the fans vote on, they have made it clear it's going to be geno up next if fitz doesn't get it together.. but next yr will be interesting, will geno and fitz long gone..

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the "Aaron Rodgers waited 4 years to start" concept is not going to work.

But clearly Petty is at least a back up QB next year, number 2.  And Hack should be a 3, not a 2, and maybe even a 2.

Rogers waited 4 years to start because the Packers already had a hall of fame QB.  Same reason the pats will be head patted for not rushing Grapollo.  Aaron rogers was a pretty unique situation and imo should not be used as some great model to follow.

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We all want to see the kid play but Mac and Bowles aren't like Rex/izdik/fat man. They aren't going to rush and throw these kids to the wolves like they did with Sanchez/geno. Despite what the fans vote on, they have made it clear it's going to be geno up next if fitz doesn't get it together.. but next yr will be interesting, will geno and fitz long gone..

And the jets having not even a foggy clue whether petty or hack can play, yeah sounds about right for the way the jets handle QBs'

5 minutes ago, JETSfan4life_1 said:

Excellent point, why spend high draft picks on QB's and not play them.  It is time, the time has come, time is of the essence please start the kids now.

Anytime someone asks a Jets official if Bryce Petty can play, everyone in the organization acts as if you just asked if a puppy could pilot a spaceship. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Yes lets throw the kid in there and totally destroy his confidence. This isn't penn state, its the NFL

This time last year, Carson Wentz was throwing passes against Weber freaking State, so that's not a valid reason as to why Hackenberg shouldn't play. Him sucking right now is a valid reason, but where he went to college isn't.

Archived