Stars Have Aligned for Geno to Shine

JetNation

Geno Smith JN

By Glenn Naughton

With the failed Ryan Fitzpatrick experiment officially over and Geno Smith being re-introduced as the Jets starting quarterback, is it finally time for the Jets’ blazing-fast receivers to start hauling in some long balls?

Of all the things we saw Fitzpatrick struggle with this season, perhaps the most frustrating was his inability to connect on the deep ball despite receivers often breaking away from coverage with nothing but green in front of them. Several times, we’ve seen rookie receiver Robby Anderson use his 4.34 40 time (pro-day) to blow past a defender, only to be asked to plant his foot in the ground to pivot, turn back to face the ball, and fight an oncoming defender, resulting in an incomplete pass.

IMG_2192-300x200.jpg

With the strongest arm of the Jets 4 quarterbacks, Geno Smith is primed to make some highlight throws.

No matter what your feelings are on Smith, there’s no denying he’s got a howitzer for an arm. As a veteran in his fourth NFL season who is familiar with the Jets offense, this should immediately translate to explosive plays down the field for Anderson and fellow burners Quincy Enunwa (4.45), Charone Peake (4.45) and soon-to-return 2015 second round pick Devin Smith (4.42).
If, for some reason the quartet of receivers are unable to get open, defenses being forced to respect Smith’s cannon will be left vulnerable underneath with Matt Forte and Bilal Powell sneaking out of the backfield.

Also helping Smith as he steps back under center is that despite the Jets having played only six games, they’ve already played many of the top defenses they were set to square off against this season in the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, both of whim rank in the top-5 in yards through the air (3rd and 5th respectively) as well as points allowed.

All Smith needs now, is for 6’ 6’’ tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins to elevate his play to a level that forces defenses to respect his presence in the middle of the field, and the options for offensive coordinator Chan Gailey will be limitless as Smith’s arm now opens up the whole play book, and gives them no choice but to defend the entire field, because there are few spots on it that Smith’s arm can’t reach.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
e6Nh3Xtnzj0

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... yeah Geno has a strong arm, big deal - so did JaMarcus Russell. It is not Geno's physical gifts that have any JETS fan concerned, it is his mental lapses.

I am hoping for the best, but expecting nothing new from Geno.

I feel like throwing up after reading this dribble. Blaaaaugh. Feel better. First off, Geno does not have the strongest arm. Petty and Hack easily have stronger arms.   And in his four years, which really have been 2 years and one game last year, Smith has shown he has little grasp of any offense. And neither is he accurate or able to buy time in the pocket. With the schedule softening from here on, the Jets should compile a few more wins but it's pretty much irrelevant. This season is done and I'd prefer to see Petty get playing time rather than this albatross. 

12 minutes ago, Stark said:

Hmm... yeah Geno has a strong arm, big deal - so did JaMarcus Russell. It is not Geno's physical gifts that have any JETS fan concerned, it is his mental lapses.

Geno how much is 2 +2 

Geno: uhhhh 22

Congradulations Geno you've passed the wonderlic test. :huh:

8 minutes ago, Stark said:

I really have no clue what to expect but there are many, many QBs that have come through this league that were not very GOOD in their 1st three years but continued on to have very long careers in the NFL.

Some of them for a miriad of different reasons. Lack of talent around them, bad coaching, injuries, too many OCs & new systems to learn. Just look at the Pats. They have a system that's been in place forever. Plug & play. Garrapolo obviously had much more chance at success coming up in the Pats system than say the Jets "system"? Do we even know what our system is? Lol.

Jameis Winston threw 4 picks in a game this year. Had Geno done that we'd be calling for his head on a stick Lord of the Flies style. As much as I talk about losing, it's just not my style to CHEER for a loss. I played sports, it's just not in my DNA to want to lose any game. Our coaches & players feel the same, so here we go again. Go Geno, Go Jets.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This topic header could have been used the last 3 years before this.  And he shines like a rusty old penny,.

Really, who were those speedy WRs who always were getting open two and three years ago?  

15 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I feel like throwing up after reading this dribble. Blaaaaugh. Feel better. First off, Geno does not have the strongest arm. Petty and Hack easily have stronger arms.   And in his four years, which really have been 2 years and one game last year, Smith has shown he has little grasp of any offense. And neither is he accurate or able to buy time in the pocket. With the schedule softening from here on, the Jets should compile a few more wins but it's pretty much irrelevant. This season is done and I'd prefer to see Petty get playing time rather than this albatross. 

Way to support the starting QB of the NY Jets.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

seriously, youtube him.  he's got a cannon, it's the reason he can't throw screen passes.

He thinks he saw a wobbly pass, on a TD, so that means he has a weak arm.  Because he just doesn't get that even a strong armed QB can throw an occasional wobbly pass.  Ben does it, Marino did it, Namath did it, all have thrown a wobbler or two.  

What he sees is a QB he hates and didn't want picked so he's going to go overboard with every pass.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

No I just want Geno to see visions of Ray Lewis. 

Is there something he did to you personally or are you just scared to be wrong if he comes out and lights it up? 

Cant ever envision a scenario where I don't want to see my teams do well.  No matter who's playing

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Is there something he did to you personally or are you just scared to be wrong if he comes out and lights it up? 

He's a head case. You like him that's your business. I can't stand the turd. What's it to you.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

He's a head case. You like him that's your business. I can't stand the turd. What's it to you.

Because as I said, can't envision wanting to see my QB get beat up, any player on my team beat up and my team to lose.

i don't have to like anyone who plays for the Jets, I like the Jets.  To me it's stupid to root against one of your own.  That you keep trolling the board with this stupid line of thinking is what it is to me.  If you don't want to get questioned about it don't post it on a public message board. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Cant do no worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick has done the last 6 games, 

He should never be anywhere close to Fitz's level of play.  He's younger, faster, stronger arm, more weapons, etc...

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Because as I said, can't envision wanting to see my QB get beat up, any player on my team beat up and my team to lose.

i don't have to like anyone who plays for the Jets, I like the Jets.  To me it's stupid to root against one of your own.  That you keep trolling the board with this stupid line of thinking is what it is to me.  If you don't want to get questioned about it don't post it on a public message board. 

Lol ok so do you work for Max as an internet detective? The Jets have been my team probably before you were born. Ive never rooted against a Jet player....until now. To me, anyone rooting for this POS is stupid. He's an insolent, careless, big mouth, head case that lacks talent, humility, and common sense.  If that's someone you want to root for be my guest. I've supported them through thick and thin but I have no love lost for this clown and will have a party ? once he's jettisoned off the NY Jets. 

Just now, YankeeJet22 said:

so you want the Jets to lose... GFY.

In all fairness, it's possible to root against a player but for the team.  

When Jason Taylor was a Jet, I wanted him to get steamrolled on every play, but only if there was going to be somebody in the vicinity to prevent any damage.

Its not like we've seen in past weeks with people celebrating losses...that's a totally different thing IMO.

4 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Lol ok so do you work for Max as an internet detective? The Jets have been my team probably before you were born. Ive never rooted against a Jet player....until now. To me, anyone rooting for this POS is stupid. He's an insolent, careless, big mouth, head case that lacks talent, humility, and common sense.  If that's someone you want to root for be my guest. I've supported them through thick and thin but I have no love lost for this clown and will have a party ? once he's jettisoned off the NY Jets. 

And back to the point, he's a Jet and I want them to win.  Not to lose just because I hate a player.  Doesn't make you smarter, more loyal or a better fan to root against him.  Don't see people rooting against Rothlisberger.  Guess winning douchbags are tolerable

BTW, there isn't a chance in hell you have been a fan longer.

Archived