Stars Have Aligned for Geno to Shine

JetNation

For fugs sakes the excuse mongers are out in full preemptive force.  All the things blamed on the previous Qb will be excused due to no weaopnzzz, just as predicated.  The Geno train is slowing to a crawl as his supporters realize that he is actually going to have to play.  Oh...we didn't count on that!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

How exactly is Geno going to hit a deep ball when guys like Anderson and Peake can't get open ? 

You  mean like when Gruden said the exact same thing during the replay that clearly showed open WRs while Fitz decided to force it into his first read? Week in/week out there have been open wrs. If you look at the weekly QB breakdown thread on JN you'll see that the playcalling and lack of open wrs aren't the problem.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not sure I'd say the "stars have aligned".  The team is 1-5.  His 2nd best receiver is out for the season and the run game is completely non-existent. 

He's getting his chance in not the most ideal scenario but if there was any uncertainty with his career...he's now got a chance to salvage it.

you know where this is going as well as I do.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For fugs sakes the excuse mongers are out in full preemptive force.  All the things blamed on the previous Qb will be excused due to no weaopnzzz, just as predicated.  The Geno train is slowing to a crawl as his supporters realize that he is actually going to have to play.  Oh...we didn't count on that!

I did I knew all along this Ryan Fitzpatrick era was going to end and end badly. 

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

For fugs sakes the excuse mongers are out in full preemptive force.  All the things blamed on the previous Qb will be excused due to no weaopnzzz, just as predicated. 

Lets hope he plays well.

If he doesn't, yes, I fully expect the tsunami of excuses we saw in his previous years (and were aggressively attacked as baseless excuses with Fitz played QB) will find.....renewed legitimacy now that Geno is playing, and folks who've talked him up relentlessly for two years see what Geno is or isn't.  As always, being right on the internet > consistency.

It won't matter though.  Geno is in his final year, the year is mostly lost already, and what will be will be.  If he plays poorly, he'll be gone, never to be spoken of again.  If he succeeds.....he's still likely gone.  If he REALLY succeeds, lolsameoldJets, he'll be resigned THEN fail again.  Because we're the Jets.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

you know where this is going as well as I do.

I actually dont which is why I've always been in the No Fitz, play the Kids camp.  We knew with 100% certainty what Fitz is/was/always has been/always will be. What I dont know is if Geno has or can improve with a better coach and better weapons. Or maybe he just flat out sucks.  I'm not 100% sure and that's been the point through this entire do-si-do with Fitz. I know their are many Jets fans who have a crystal ball and just know Geno is terrible and always will be.  But I unfortunately dont have a crystal ball.

Odds are, he's still terrible and that will never change...but the best thing for the Jets is to test those odds and move to Petty if he fails. 

Just now, JiF said:

I actually dont which is why I've always been in the No Fitz, play the Kids camp.  We knew with 100% certainty what Fitz is/was/always has been/always will be.  What I dont know is if Geno has or can improve with a better coach and better weapons.  Or maybe he just flat out sucks.  I'm not 100% sure and that's been the point this through this entire do-si-do with Fitz.  I know their are many Jets fans who have a crystal ball and just know Geno is terrible and always will be.  But I unfortunately dont have a crystal ball.

Odds are, he's still terrible and that will never change...but the best thing for the Jets is to test those odds and move to Petty if he fails. 

Great post I feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Fitz needed to be benched, but the timing has put the organization in a weird position.

I don't doubt that there are no current 2017 plans that include Geno - so what if he goes out and plays reasonably well, winning a few games? Do the Jets continue to trot him out there, keeping Petty on the bench? Do the Jets consider offering him a deal for 2017? As Jets fans, do we really want either scenario? And if he is playing decent, do we have any assurances that the coaching staff will pull him regardless and give Petty a shot?

And what's the alternative - he falls on his face and they do bring Petty in? In a way, that's what most fans want - so what's the  point in rooting for him to look good? Make no mistake, I'll be rooting for him..but other than the 'I root for the Jets' rational, I'm not sure exactly why..

There's plenty of reasons to play smith even if they will cut him loose next year. first off let's see what the players can do, especially the young WR, let's see what the coaches can do and how they are able to make adjustments, and lastly building up geno going into free agency is good for the jets and the team could end up netting a comp pick for themselves

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

There's plenty of reasons to play smith even if they will cut him loose next year. first off let's see what the players can do, especially the young WR, let's see what the coaches can do and how they are able to make adjustments, and lastly building up geno going into free agency is good for the jets and the team could end up netting a comp pick for themselves

Or better yet he solves our search for that franchise QB .................IMAGINE THAT

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I actually dont which is why I've always been in the No Fitz, play the Kids camp.  We knew with 100% certainty what Fitz is/was/always has been/always will be.  What I dont know is if Geno has or can improve with a better coach and better weapons.  Or maybe he just flat out sucks.  I'm not 100% sure and that's been the point this through this entire do-si-do with Fitz.  I know their are many Jets fans who have a crystal ball and just know Geno is terrible and always will be.  But I unfortunately dont have a crystal ball.

well yeah I'm just going with the odds on Geno as well . I hope he lights it up but I fear this offense as it currently stands is not very QB friendly at all due to a bad running game and predictable coaching.

Example of great coaching look at what Green Bay accomplished ...Rodgers was struggling the running game was disappearing and they plug in Ty Montgomery and light it up. They took a lot of the pressure off Rodgers and he responded rather than getting killed for half the game.

Do you think the Jets coaching staff is capable of that kind of move ? They have not done anything different on either side of the ball while going 1-5 in horrid fashion. If Geno has any chance these clowns will surely destroy him and put the dagger in. Geno just like Fitz is not the type of guy who is going to get past that. QB's need help and the Jets have a history of using them wrong or not giving them any talent (as in the past Geno years) to succeed.

21 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm excited to watch this game.

Geno may or may not fall on his face, but atleast there is hope.  With Fitz, you know the exact game you were going to see.  

I'm excited for your extensive bad Geno breakdown. There is no hope with Geno if you have common sense and a basic understanding of football. Nothing from any game he has played that wasn't a throw away game shows any progression or growth as a player. The same mistakes, the same boneheaded plays, the same turnover prone quarterback.  

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm excited for your extensive bad Geno breakdown. There is no hope with Geno if you have common sense and a basic understanding of football. Nothing from any game he has played that wasn't a throw away game shows any progression or growth as a player. The same mistakes, the same boneheaded plays, the same turnover prone quarterback.  

If he makes mistakes, you'll see them on the bad geno breakdowns for sure.   

I have faith in him doing better than Fitz, but he could be bad for all I know.  

29 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Geno may or may not fall on his face, but atleast there is hope.  With Fitz, you know the exact game you were going to see.  

This is what is so good... HOPE!!!

That is what the NFL meant for me years ago.. hope... 

Now it's no QB no chance, favored teams, favored calls and favored refs.  At this point in time it is the only reason why I bother fun and a little hope.

30 minutes ago, win4ever said:

With Geno you know the exact game you are going to see.

Some nice passes, a guy that looks like he finally gets it for a drive or so and then 2 or 3 or 4 heinous brain dead mistakes and lots of 'Look out!' moments that you yell as you see the rusher about to get to him and him being totally oblivious to the fact he has held the ball too long or has not stepped up in the pocket.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is what is so good... HOPE!!!

That is what the NFL meant for me years ago.. hope... 

Now it's no QB no chance, favored teams, favored calls and favored refs.  At this point in time it is the only reason why I bother fun and a little hope.

Yeah, I feel like finally the QB talents and the system fit with the weapons.  I was watching the Ravens game from 2013, and Geno had a reception before his first pass attempt I believe on the third series of the game. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

it's funny to hear all this coming a guy who spent so much time making excuses for ryan fitzpatrick. you can see clearly now where his real motivations were coming from :lol:

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

With Geno you know the exact game you are going to see.

Some nice passes, a guy that looks like he finally gets it for a drive or so and then 2 or 3 or 4 heinous brain dead mistakes and lots of 'Look out!' moments that you yell as you see the rusher about to get to him and him being totally oblivious to the fact he has held the ball too long or has not stepped up in the pocket.

I think this is a better system for him though, so I like to see how he does in a full game. 

It's more of a pre-snap read system, and he seemed to do a decent job in the Arizona game, so I expect better things.  

16 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think this is a better system for him though, so I like to see how he does in a full game. 

It's more of a pre-snap read system, and he seemed to do a decent job in the Arizona game, so I expect better things.  

As I said, he did the exact thing in the Zona game as he did in the Oakland game last year and the two precious years.  I have no issue with the QB change at all and we can all hope he does well but we've seen the act often.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm not sure I'd say the "stars have aligned".  The team is 1-5.  His 2nd best receiver is out for the season and the run game is completely non-existent. 

He's getting his chance in not the most ideal scenario but if there was any uncertainty with his career...he's now got a chance to salvage it.

None of that matters all that much.  He'll have Enunwa as his number two receiver who is faster, more explosive and stronger than Decker.  He's not quite the route runner Decker is and his hands are somewhat suspect, but that hasn't been an issue for him this season.  We've seen what Quincy can do when he's hit in the open field or in stride which Fitz struggled to do.  Geno shouldn't have those problems given his arm strength.

The run game is non-existent primarily due to Fitzpatrick.  With teams being forced to back of and respect Geno's arm strength, the running lanes will open up along with the short/intermediate routes that teams were clogging with defenders previously.

Even if the run game were to struggle for some reason, they can go 5-wide with four guys who run in the 4.4's and put Powell or Forte in the slot to sneak in some underneath stuff.

Definitely putting money on the Jets and the over, just now sure how much yet.

You gonna' be there?

Archived