Bowles: I Don’t Know if Fitzpatrick Will Start on Sunday

JetNation

17 minutes ago, August said:

He is giving us the worst QB play I've ever seen in 2016 from a Jets QB. And in the past 10 years we had Sanchez in 09, and 12, and Geno in 13. But Fitzpatrick's play is worse than any of those seasons. 

Worst NY Jets QB I've seen in my lifetime and there have been many bad ones. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, August said:

He is giving us the worst QB play I've ever seen in 2016 from a Jets QB. And in the past 10 years we had Sanchez in 09, and 12, and Geno in 13. But Fitzpatrick's play is worse than any of those seasons. 

Legit.  He's missing Pop Warner gimmie type sh*t.  It's seriously unreal.  

His stats were deceiving last season.  I dont think he was great but he played well for the most part.  Up till last year, he was pretty much terrible but something seemed to click. Whether it was reunited with Gaily or the weapons, not sure. It didnt look like it wasnt going to be an unstoppable offense but at least consistent.  He just regressed to worse than he was before and I really dont get it.  I mean, we all knew he'd regress back to the mean but how do get worse? Makes no sense.

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

Petty: Of course you dont.  That's the problem.  That was always been the problem with the presence Fitz.  I dont think anyone will be angry at all because they're currently witnessing some of the worst play the position has ever seen.  They get it.  This is a kid this regime drafted and has a year in a half in the system. No doubt there are numerous players in that locker room who think they'd be performing better with Petty and that he is the logical choice at this point.  

Competition/Decisions: I will lump together because I cant believe you're still supporting Fitz.  It's like you're completely delusional or not paying attention.  You need to go look at some of the BagMagic threads with the actual tape.  Maybe you're not seeing just how bad Fitz is playing.  And we havent been playing difficult teams and we're still losing in embarrassing fashion. Nothing is going to change.  The Jets cant beat bad teams.  They dont get to play the Browns every week.  We're approaching the definition of insanity. 

No player in the league is hurting their team more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Allowing it to persist, is exactly what makes the Jets, the Jets. 

Eric Decker just a few hours ago in the NYDN:

"If Bryce Petty was a better quarterback right now, yes, go ahead, put him in and play him. Let him develop and see what he has. But again, I don't think that's the right decision," Decker said. "That's why Coach is keeping Ryan in there, and I would say a lot of guys feel the same way as well."

"Though we (have) a losing record and it's been a tough season thus far, you can't just throw the towel and say, ‘All right, let's just get ready for next year,'" Decker said. "As a competitor, that's not how you think. That's not how you operate. So going to work each week with that kind of mentality, why even go work? You put the guys (who are) ready to play that can give you the best chance to win in, and you see what happens throughout the rest of the year."

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Eric Decker just a few hours ago in the NYDN:

"If Bryce Petty was a better quarterback right now, yes, go ahead, put him in and play him. Let him develop and see what he has. But again, I don't think that's the right decision," Decker said. "That's why Coach is keeping Ryan in there, and I would say a lot of guys feel the same way as well."

"Though we (have) a losing record and it's been a tough season thus far, you can't just throw the towel and say, ‘All right, let's just get ready for next year,'" Decker said. "As a competitor, that's not how you think. That's not how you operate. So going to work each week with that kind of mentality, why even go work? You put the guys (who are) ready to play that can give you the best chance to win in, and you see what happens throughout the rest of the year."

SAR I

That's Eric Decker, a player that openly lobbied in the media for Ryan Fitzpatrick to be resigned during the offseason.

I bet you Robbie Anderson would like Bryce Petty hitting him wide open for at least 1 TD every single game. 

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

someone should ask Bowles: 

Fitzpatrick has the lowest QB Rating in the NFL, has thrown the most int's, and is totally incapable of executing in the redzone.   What is it that you see that the rest of the NFL is missing?   

That would make for a great question.  I guess the media is too busy blowing on Fitz's balls to ask.  

FLORHAM PARK — Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who sprained the MCL in his left knee during Sunday's loss at Miami, had his helmet Wednesday during the open portion of practice — a positive sign for him. 

It was unclear how much Fitzpatrick would do Wednesday. But he at least was dressed for practice and participated in warmups. He did some jogging during the warmup period. He thinks he'll be ready to play Sunday against the Rams. 

Bryce Petty will start if Fitzpatrick can't play Sunday. But if Fitzpatrick is healthy enough to go, then coach Todd Bowles will stick with him as the starter. It's still not clear yet if Fitzpatrick will be healthy enough to face the Rams. 

17 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Fitzpatrick has the lowest QB Rating in the NFL, has thrown the most int's, and is totally incapable of executing in the redzone.   What is it that you see that the rest of the NFL is missing?   

A very fair question.  Too bad the NY Sports media is the worst in the United States, because they'll never ask it.

17 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

What you are missing:

1.  We have a schedule set up for a potential 5 wins in 7 contests, 5 of 7 at home, 2 of 3 at night on national TV in the cold against warm/dome teams, all 5 games are within Ryan Fizpatrick's ceiling, none above .500.

2.  The recent locker room meltdown needs to be corrected to save our coaching staff, and putting in a newb quarterback would only case more tension. 

Validating our coaching staff under these circumstances is more important than validating our longshot quarterback.  This wasn't the case a few weeks ago, it most certainly is now.

SAR I

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

can fitz hold another press conference saying how bad the owner coach and gm are again for giving up on his no talent again? I enjoyed it the first time so MUCH

Knowing what we know now, in the context of the defense playing worse than he was and the likes of Revis, Wilkerson, and Richardson allowed to mail it in uncontested by our head coach while he was busting his ass trying to win and abiding by the rules, I can see why he was a little ticked off.

SAR I

21 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

This is how ridiculous Fitz has been this season. Lets deal solely with redzone performance. The Jets are 31st in redzone TD efficiency with 38.24% (beating out Houston by 0.14%), and in comparison the Jets were 3rd last year at 66.04%

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

In redzone passing: "Inside the 20" Fitz is dead last amongst starters in redzone completion percentage at a 41% completion rate. Fitz has thrown the most INT's in the redzone with 5, the guy behind him is Blake Bortles with 3. "Inside the 10" Fitz is 30th in the league with a 33% completion rate, the guys lower is Ryan Tannehill and Kirk Cousins. FItz is 31st with just 2TD's inside the 10, the guy behind him is Ryan Tannehill with 1. Fitz is tied for the most INT's inside the 10 with 2 and he's tied with Kirk Cousins. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/redzone-passing.htm

Ryan Fitzpatrick is putting together arguably the worst Jets QB season ever and there's no doubt that he's the worst starting QB in the league...sporting a qb rating of 67.6 which is the lowest in the league as well as Fitz lowest since his rookie season. 

And I just want to throw out there since I've heard in the past how Geno "was the worst QB in the NFL his first 2 season" based on some sketchy stats from a sketchy site...well, Geno has never had a season like this...especially with this level of talent. 

And speaking of talent, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a talent-killer. going back and checking, I've counted 6 plays that if Fitz would have just thrown an accurate pass Robby Anderson would have 6 touchdowns this season. To put that into perspective, the rookie WR with the most TD's is the Saints Michael Thomas with 5. Thomas was a 2nd round pick who many considered a 1st round talent while Robby Anderson was an undrafted rookie free agent who would have been leading the league in TD's amongst rookies. Ryan Fitzpatrick is killing the talent on this team. Let me provide an example. Watch how Robby Anderson literally beats the breaks off of this DB yet look where Fitz put this football. 

Week-9-Fitzpatrick-Bad-Magic-2.gif

Robby absolutely smoked this cat, but not just with speed from the start, but with baiting and getting the DB to bite on what Anderson was showing. Once Robby moved the DB, he moved back inside where there's no safety help and turned on the Jets. This throw by Fitz was what we seen last year when throwing to Devin Smith. Robbie Anderson is this years Devin Smith. Last year people pointed the finger at Smith given what we considered a "successful season" by Ryan Fitzpatrick, so many fans were denying what the tape was showing. 

This is how bad Fitz is, and we're not talking about the TD's he's missed with other receivers, however to have a rookie do this and not be rewarded AT ALL is totally insane. I've counted 6 different plays where Robby was either wide open for a TD and Fitz didnt see him, Fitz either under-threw him or over threw him. 

Robby Anderson has 0, I repeat....ZERO TD's on the season. Ryan FItzpatrick is the worst QB in Jets history. So what he broke a record...he's killing young talent while allowing the talent of Brandon Marshall keep his Jets career alfloat.

Still cant understand how people fell for this.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What you are missing:

1.  We have a schedule set up for a potential 5 wins in 7 contests, 5 of 7 at home, 2 of 3 at night on national TV in the cold against warm/dome teams, all 5 games are within Ryan Fizpatrick's ceiling, none above .500.

2.  The recent locker room meltdown needs to be corrected to save our coaching staff, and putting in a newb quarterback would only case more tension. 

Validating our coaching staff under these circumstances is more important than validating our longshot quarterback.  This wasn't the case a few weeks ago, it most certainly is now.

SAR I

maybe the coaching staff needs to be purged rather than validated.  maybe a competent coaching staff would recognize that keeping fitz in there at qb is a big part of the lockerroom meltdown.  the jets need a coach who isn't afraid to bench veterans or underperforming players regardless of salary.  they need a guy with balls.  bowles is a 'don't rock the boat' guy.

21 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

A "the other guys we have suck even worse if you can believe it"

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What you are missing:

SAR I

Ummmmmm you didn't answer the question, just saying?

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

A "the other guys we have suck even worse if you can believe it"

It would be rather hard to suck worst than this. Its to the point where you'd have to actually "try to". And mind you, there's alot that stats simply wont show but instead you have to actually watch the game. 

Remember when the Jets played the Chiefs and Seahawks, two teams with very good secondary's? It was too the point where they were baiting Fitz to throw the ball just to see who will be the next guy to catch the next INT? Remember Earl Thomas dropping that gimmie pick 6 because he was too thirsty? Stats dont show that. 

Petty would have to actually try in order to be this limited/inaccurate/turnover prone in the redzone/4th qtr. I havent seen Petty in a live game, no one has, but im willing to go out on a limb and say Petty or Hackenberg would provide more than Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. This dude is the absolute worst. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

It would be rather hard to suck worst than this. Its to the point where you'd have to actually "try". And mind you, there's alot that stats simply wont show but instead you have to actually watch the game. 

Remember when the Jets played the Chiefs and Seahawks, two teams with very good secondary's? It was too the point where they were baiting Fitz to throw the ball just to see who will be the next guy to catch the next INT? Remember Earl Thomas dropping that gimmie pick 6 because he was too thirsty? Stats dont show that. 

Petty would have to actually try in order to be this limited/inaccurate/turnover prone in the redzone/4th qtr.

I watch the games.  I have yet to see petty take a snap from center.

on a normally structured roster, petty would be on the PS or waived, you don't see a lot of teams benching starters for PS QB's

(he also needs more madden time to figure out what a robber coverage is)

the point I am making is the jets QB situation is the worst I can ever remember, and that they all suck, including Fitz

fans can say "play the young guys we need to see what they are"

the GM and coaches can't bring up PS level talent until they are mathematically eliminated, that's reality

petty is PS level talent on any other NFL team

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

I watch the games.  I have yet to see petty take a snap from center.

on a normally structured roster, petty would be on the PS or waived, you don't see a lot of teams benching starters for PS QB's

(he also needs more madden time to figure out what a robber coverage is)

the point I am making is the jets QB situation is the worst I can ever remember, and that they all suck, including Fitz

fans can say "play the young guys we need to see what they are"

the GM and coaches can't bring up PS level talent until they are mathematically eliminated, that's reality

petty is PS level talent on any other NFL team

While you were writing me, I was editing my prior post. "I havent seen Petty in a live game, no one has, but im willing to go out on a limb and say Petty or Hackenberg would provide more than Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. This dude is the absolute worst."

All this may be true that you state, however, Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing a such a low level that its simply time to find out for sure if Petty can play or not. We act as if if Petty is bad that we cant put him back in the box. This season is over. Petty could be PS level talent, or he could be a guy who could be serviceable, or he could be a guy who looks like a PS level talent during practice but something turns on when its "live". 

My point is, Ryan Fitzpatrick has put us in a position where we need to find that out. He's been in the system for a year and a half. If all that mustered was a "PS level talent" Then #1 why did we carry 4 QB's on the  53? #2 why did we draft a guy who was so raw (bad) that in 1 1/2 years he has only developed into being a practice squad member? 

Questions need to be answered, if Petty is nothing more than a PS member, then im willing to see if he's able to make the jump because Fitz is playing like he isnt even an college level QB. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

While you were writing me, I was editing my prior post. "I havent seen Petty in a live game, no one has, but im willing to go out on a limb and say Petty or Hackenberg would provide more than Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point. This dude is the absolute worst."

All this may be true that you state, however, Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing a such a low level that its simply time to find out for sure if Petty can play or not. We act as if if Petty is bad that we cant put him back in the box. This season is over. Petty could be PS level talent, or he could be a guy who could be serviceable, or he could be a guy who looks like a PS level talent during practice but something turns on when its "live". 

My point is, Ryan Fitzpatrick has put us in a position where we need to find that out. He's been in the system for a year and a half. If all that mustered was a "PS level talent" Then #1 why did we carry 4 QB's on the  53? #2 why did we draft a guy who was so raw (bad) that in 1 1/2 years he has only developed into being a practice squad member? 

Questions need to be answered, if Petty is nothing more than a PS member, then im willing to see if he's able to make the jump because Fitz is playing like he isnt even an college level QB. 

I saw petty last week.  I thought it was ironic that chan gave him an easy screen pass to get warm and I was like wtf ? why not do that for fitz?

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

2nd best pass of the game lol. The 1st was that TD pass from Fitz to Jalin Marshall. gotta give cred on that pass.

I really hope petty becomes our franchise player and a star and makes me look like a grumpy old fool, its just everything I read makes me think the staff and players around him think he is just not ready

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I really hope petty becomes our franchise player and a star and makes me look like a grumpy old fool, its just everything I read makes me think the staff and players around him think he is just not ready

Exactly. 

If there was a fantastic quarterback with a rocket arm in our locker room the players would be complaining about his lack of playing time, crying to the media, throwing innuendo on Twitter, leaking to Mehta.  

It's not like they know how to shut up and keep their thoughts to themselves.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

And this ^^^^ was my problem with the Geno hate. Example, remember during the preseason when Petty was showing some promise but never jumped Geno on the depth chart? How many people here were saying "The only reason why Geno wasnt cut is because Petty got hurt in the final preseason game"? It was ridiculous because Geno never lost his position on the depth chart in the preseason or the actual season, furthermore to then see that Geno replaced Fitz given Fitz struggles yet it seems like Bowles is VERY hesitant to put in Petty. And sure, he was hurt, but he's no longer hurt and if Petty was truly better than Geno then Petty would be the QB right now if Bowles was comfortable replacing Fitz with what fans essentially said was our 3rd best QB in Geno Smith. It goes to show that not only was Geno the better QB, not only did it show that Bowles was ready to pull the trigger on replacing Fitz with Geno, but to see that he wont do it now with Fitz still struggling may give the indication that Petty still needs time. So I'll for sure give you credit for your "Petty is a PS player now". Based on what Bowles is NOT doing with Petty supports your position. 

This is why Jets fans need to stop drawing conclusions based on their emotions and look at what is actually happening. This is why in many ways I dont like social media. Fans have become so overly dramatic about players and what happens off the field as if they're the parents of these players or something. Now granted, I do it too...but in the moment. I dont let it cloud my thoughts of a player for years because of things that have nothing to do with the game. It's like fans chastise these players more than their own children. 

I would still put Petty out there or Hackenberg. One of these two guys have to show some sort of potential. Even if we run a vanilla offense, I'd just like to see it. Also, it may be hard to do because We've lost both tackles and we probably dont want a guy like Hackenberg under constant pressure. The guy is inconsistent, but when he's on it does look good. The problem is this guy is like Dan Marino in the pocket....a freaking statue 

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

And this ^^^^ was my problem with the Geno hate. Example, remember during the preseason when Petty was showing some promise but never jumped Geno on the depth chart? How many people here were saying "The only reason why Geno wasnt cut is because Petty got hurt in the final preseason game"? It was ridiculous because Geno never lost his position on the depth chart in the preseason or the actual season, furthermore to then see that Geno replaced Fitz given Fitz struggles yet it seems like Bowles is VERY hesitant to put in Petty. And sure, he was hurt, but he's no longer hurt and if Petty was truly better than Geno then Petty would be the QB right now if Bowles was comfortable replacing Fitz with what fans essentially said was our 3rd best QB in Geno Smith. It goes to show that not only was Geno the better QB, not only did it show that Bowles was ready to pull the trigger on replacing Fitz with Geno, but to see that he wont do it now with Fitz still struggling may give the indication that Petty still needs time. So I'll for sure give you credit for your "Petty is a PS player now". Based on what Bowles is NOT doing with Petty supports your position. 

This is why Jets fans need to stop drawing conclusions based on their emotions and look at what is actually happening. This is why in many ways I dont like social media. Fans have become so overly dramatic about players and what happens off the field as if they're the parents of these players or something. Now granted, I do it too...but in the moment. I dont let it cloud my thoughts of a player for years because of things that have nothing to do with the game. It's like fans chastise these players more than their own children. 

I would still put Petty out there or Hackenberg. One of these two guys have to show some sort of potential. Even if we run a vanilla offense, I'd just like to see it. Also, it may be hard to do because We've lost both tackles and we probably dont want a guy like Hackenberg under constant pressure. The guy is inconsistent, but when he's on it does look good. The problem is this guy is like Dan Marino in the pocket....a freaking statue 

their qb depth chart is based solely on experience.  despite what they say they have chosen to double down on win now mode.  that's why they waited too long to bench fitz and they're waiting too long to bench him again.  petty didn't pass geno b/c he has no real game experience, but can't say this so they keep saying petty isn't ready yet.  he was the best qb in preseason games.  he's obviously more ready than geno.  i'm not buying any of bowles bs anymore.  they have chosen to ride the experienced qbs until they are mathematically eliminated and then they'll test the young qbs.  that's why bowles' response to if he's starting petty was 'we're down but not out'.  there's your answer right there.  the problem is that fitz is so bad and limited and couldn't get to the playoffs with this schedule, and most other high paid vets are finally sucking.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

their qb depth chart is based solely on experience.  despite what they say they have chosen to double down on win now mode.  that's why they waited too long to bench fitz and they're waiting too long to bench him again.  petty didn't pass geno b/c he has no real game experience, but can't say this so they keep saying petty isn't ready yet.  he was the best qb in preseason games.  he's obviously more ready than geno.  i'm not buying any of bowles bs anymore.  they have chosen to ride the experienced qbs until they are mathematically eliminated and then they'll test the young qbs.  that's why bowles' response to if he's starting petty was 'we're down but not out'.  there's your answer right there.  the problem is that fitz is so bad and limited and couldn't get to the playoffs with this schedule, and most other high paid vets are finally sucking.  

So they're purposely sitting the better qb. Lol OK.

Archived