PSL Fool's Gold - (good read)

David Harris

7 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

in the future since the ugly air conditioner is now approaching 10 years and odds are good it will be scrapped in another 15 leaving PSL holders holding an empty bag.

How so? What empty bag?nThe COST of the PSL is AMORTIZED over the life of the asset, i.e. MetLife Stadium, the LONGER the stadium is utilized the CHEAPER STH w/PSL come out to be because the COST and utility was SPREAD OUT OVER MORE TIME. 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Seemed somewhat related to the discussion.  To me the 2 years of tax dollars seems a waste

New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman spiked the football on Tuesday and claimed victory over the NFL and artificial price floors on the secondary ticket market.

This doesn't apply to Stubhub or the Jets, neither of which has ever had a "floor" for reselling tickets.  It's a waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

SAR I

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's a shlt deal and isn't as good as what I had before.  Paying for years to the Jets got me nothing.  So while I get that they can ass fu(k fans so will, doesn't mean I'm an idiot who makes believe it's a good deal

You got seats for football games. What else did you think you were getting?

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's a shlt deal and isn't as good as what I had before.  Paying for years to the Jets got me nothing.  So while I get that they can ass fu(k fans so will, doesn't mean I'm an idiot who makes believe it's a good deal

"Paying for years to the Jets got me nothing"?  Sure it did.  It got you plenty.  And I'm pretty certain you were one of the ones ass f-cking fans by selling seats to scalpers for ridiculous prices.

Judged by average salaries and cost of living the Jets had the cheapest tickets in the NFL for decades.  Decades.  And with all season tickets sold out, all fans had to do was pay their bill on time and they got to squat in a great location forever, tickets passed down from grandfathers, they controlled the secondary market completely.  Meanwhile, the rest of us sat on a waiting list to nowhere.  For decades.

Here's what you got:

No license commitments, cheapest seats in the NFL, $25 lower level seats that could be sold to scalpers for $100 tax free dollars or more, you could sell 4 games and actually get paid to attend the other 4, sideline views without premium pricing.

Here's what we got:

Waitlisted for 15 years.  PSL bill for $16,000 for 4 seats.  No sideline views without Club prices.  Internet aftermarket that devalues tickets, hard to sell average locations and get face value due to competition, no brokers to sell seats to even if we wanted to.

You had it great.  For decades.  While 18,000 of us suffered.  So stop complaining.

What you are is grumpy because you lost your golden goose, your cash cow.  The Jets ended the scam and properly raised the prices on the best seats in the house.  The cheapskates making a buck off of other Jets fans backs need to learn to keep quiet, please cry quietly.  The score will be settled in about another 25 years.  You can complain about how "unfair" and how MetLife "isn't a good deal like before" at that time, when you've paid your dues, friend.

SAR I

47 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Still have mine, I can personally afford it, so I don't pay any mind to the price.  I hold the opposite opinion of the "old farts".  Yeah, they hogged the "good seats", but they gave us a home field advantage that just isn't there anymore.  Stadium doesn't get loud, sans 1-2 games a year.  I only have 1 group of guys in my section that are regulars.  At the old place, we had several rows of regulars who never sold their tickets.  Too many one game a year nuts that go absolutely overboard with the booze and fighting.  Really unruly out of town fans.  I could go on and on.  Looking back I would have rather the Giants just give the other place another face lift and continue to lease.  Everybody I know, including some Jet fans, still refer to the place as Giants Stadium anyway.

The old farts who hogged the old seats sold their tickets more than anyone does today, they allowed more enemy/corporate fans in the place than Stubhub does today.

Now, you may have first hand experience the other way, looks like you do, looks like you sat with good friends who attended games and that's great.  But I know guys who had 12 tickets in their family who would sell 10 to scalpers and put their kids through school back in the 90s, and those scalpers prices attracted corporate types in their fur coats or out of town enemy fans there on some air/ticket package.

Homefield advantage didn't help us in the old place anyway, our record is better in MetLife than it was in Giants Stadium.  The place was loud as hell last year at the Giants game and Patriots game, as loud as Giants Stadium ever was.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

Mine is that it was no longer time for me to saddle myself with 10 games a season at 1700 per ticket to see the kind of mostly crappy football being played by the Jets

I was thankfully able to find a buyer and recouped roughly 25% of the cost of my PSLs which IMHO is better than anyone has done since MetLife opened (90% or more who just defaulted and got no recoupment) and very probably better than anybody trying to unload this "Madoff quality Investment Gold" in the future since the ugly air conditioner is now approaching 10 years and odds are good it will be scrapped in another 15 leaving PSL holders holding an empty bag.

As I stated over 1000 times on JI back in the 2008 stadium thread, if you were smart enough to choose the right location and the right seating class you stood to make money on PSL's in the future once the team was good and right around the half-life of the stadium.

There are fans out there who want season tickets and the experience of friendship that brings, and non-Club seats with decent views in low rows are hard to come by.  This isn't Giants Stadium which had 76,000 seats with great views.  This is MetLife Stadium with only 55,000 seats with great views and about 25,000 of those are Club Seats with high gameday prices.  Fewer seats with great views.  That's the key to PSL investment gold.  So long as you got the right seats.

The 35 year old Manhattanite who eventually wants my Row 1 Mezz A Corner PSL's in 2025 was 19 years old in 2010, he's out of college and started his career today at age 24, he's buying Stubhub seats right now, and when he is married and has a career and kids and the Jets are on the upswing he'll want season tickets and I'll be able to get top dollar for my PSL's if I chose to sell them.  15 years left, impossible to get location, great gameday ticket resale history, and the $4,000 I spent per seat will be $3,000 or less equivalent in 2025 dollars.

Either you chose a poor PSL location or you bailed too early.

SAR I

38 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

How so? What empty bag?nThe COST of the PSL is AMORTIZED over the life of the asset, i.e. MetLife Stadium, the LONGER the stadium is utilized the CHEAPER STH w/PSL come out to be because the COST and utility was SPREAD OUT OVER MORE TIME. 

Chepie would be proud.

Those who couldn't afford them said "Oh my God, $4,000 for a PSL and it's due in April?" while the rest of us said "$4,000 over 30 years over 10 games is $13 a game, who cares?"

But the value in the PSL is something that existing Giants Stadium season ticket holders could never understand-  we would have paid anything to get great seats to Jets games in 1990.  But we were blocked out.   The PSL process was Gettysburg, Woody Johnson was Abraham Lincoln, we were finally free.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The old farts who hogged the old seats sold their tickets more than anyone does today, they allowed more enemy/corporate fans in the place than Stubhub does today.

Now, you may have first hand experience the other way, looks like you do, looks like you sat with good friends who attended games and that's great.  But I know guys who had 12 tickets in their family who would sell 10 to scalpers and put their kids through school back in the 90s, and those scalpers prices attracted corporate types in their fur coats or out of town enemy fans there on some air/ticket package.

Homefield advantage didn't help us in the old place anyway, our record is better in MetLife than it was in Giants Stadium.  The place was loud as hell last year at the Giants game and Patriots game, as loud as Giants Stadium ever was.

SAR I

Just curious what the record in GS from 1997 - 2009 was.  It seemed to me at the time that the stadium was nuts every week during that period.  Think we only a had a few seasons where we eliminated early on.  I've only seen that intensity for a handful of games in the new stadium.  

On another note, I still run into people from my old section several times a year, only one still holds STs.  I've run into people in Midtown, JFK, a dockside restaurant in CT, West Palm,  and a restaurant in Melville.  Miss that crowd, but life goes on.

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think we are about to get this speech:

"My dad had those seats since Shea and I went to every game every year and then the Jets raised my prices from $90 to $400 and wanted me to pay a $25,000 PSL.  Woody Johnson can go f-ck himself!"

When instead it really should be this speech:

"I was so lucky to have the cheapest seats in the NFL, lower level, between the 20s, for over 30 years while tens of thousands of Jets fans suffered on a waitlist.  And for games I couldn't go to?  Hell, I could sell those seats for 5X face value to ticket brokers, some seasons I made $5000 in profits for my seats.  Hey, I had my 30 years of good fortune, it's someone else's turn now."

SAR I

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You didnt get seats, you got the right to buy a seat.  Got seats to a football game when I bought tickets before, without PSLs.

I dont need help, know exactly what I bought with and without PSLs.  Thanks for the help 

1 minute ago, jmat321 said:

Just curious what the record in GS from 1997 - 2009 was.  It seemed to me at the time that the stadium was nuts every week during that period.  Think we only a had a few seasons where we eliminated early on.  I've only seen that intensity for a handful of games in the new stadium.  

On another note, I still run into people from my old section several times a year, only one still holds STs.  I've run into people in Midtown, JFK, a dockside restaurant in CT, West Palm,  and a restaurant in Melville.  Miss that crowd, but life goes on.

1997 to 2010 was the greatest period of success in Jets history, we averaged 10.5 wins a year when we had a healthy quarterback.

And that was the problem.  Testaverde's injury in 1999 and Pennington's injuries every-other-year from 2002-2007 just killed us, at the very moment we might have had the defense and the coaching to do some playoff damage the quarterbacks we had just couldn't stay on the field.  The 2008 season with Brett Favre where we were sitting at 8-3 and already manhandled the Patriots in Foxboro comes to mind, the injury to Pennington in the 2003 preseason after we'd won the division in 2002 comes to mind, just couldn't keep the QB on the field consistently.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

I think we are about to get this speech:

"My dad had those seats since Shea and I went to every game every year and then the Jets raised my prices from $90 to $400 and wanted me to pay a $25,000 PSL"

When instead it really should be this speech:

"I was so lucky to have the cheapest seats in the NFL, lower level, between the 20s, for over 30 years while tens of thousands of Jets fans suffered on a waitlist.  And for games I couldn't go to?  Hell, I could sell those seats for 5X face value to ticket brokers, some seasons I made $5000 in profits for my seats.  Hey, I had my 30 years of good fortune, it's someone else's turn now."

SAR I

No, I had seats at Shea.  

So GFY and the speech BS.  Tired of your idiotic PSL speech.  Has nothing to do with what I paid previously.  Or my seats today.  But I get your angle.  You werent fortunate enough to get season tickets like everyone else, was on a waiting list for shltty seats and because someone who had them before couldnt or wouldnt pay the PSL you got a set.  Good for you, but dont be stupid and refuse to get why some were pissed or find it to be a rip off.  No one is that stupid to not be able to get it.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You didnt get seats, you got the right to buy a seat.  Got seats to a football game when I bought tickets before, without PSLs.

I dont need help, know exactly what I bought with and without PSLs.  Thanks for the help 

You need to answer this question, it's always amused me, no old timer has ever answered it:

In Giants Stadium, ticket prices went from $35 in 1983 to $50 in 1990 to $85 in 2000 to $100 in 2004 to $125 in 2009. 

Where was the outrage?  In a shorter span than the life of MetLife Stadium, you accepted a price increase of over FIVE TIMES what you were paying years earlier.  Where were the protests?  Where were the newspaper articles?  Where were the nasty calls to WFAN?

Since the Jets moved into MetLife Stadium our ticket prices did not go up at all until this year, and it was only $5.  You actually paid more money in ticket price increases in Giants Stadium those last few years than I did for PSL's in MetLife Stadium.  But I'm the idiot?

SAR I

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Paying for years to the Jets got me nothing"?  Sure it did.  It got you plenty.  And I'm pretty certain you were one of the ones ass f-cking fans by selling seats to scalpers for ridiculous prices.

Judged by average salaries and cost of living the Jets had the cheapest tickets in the NFL for decades.  Decades.  And with all season tickets sold out, all fans had to do was pay their bill on time and they got to squat in a great location forever, tickets passed down from grandfathers, they controlled the secondary market completely.  Meanwhile, the rest of us sat on a waiting list to nowhere.  For decades.

Here's what you got:

No license commitments, cheapest seats in the NFL, $25 lower level seats that could be sold to scalpers for $100 tax free dollars or more, you could sell 4 games and actually get paid to attend the other 4, sideline views without premium pricing.

Here's what we got:

Waitlisted for 15 years.  PSL bill for $16,000 for 4 seats.  No sideline views without Club prices.  Internet aftermarket that devalues tickets, hard to sell average locations and get face value due to competition, no brokers to sell seats to even if we wanted to.

You had it great.  For decades.  While 18,000 of us suffered.  So stop complaining.

What you are is grumpy because you lost your golden goose, your cash cow.  The Jets ended the scam and properly raised the prices on the best seats in the house.  The cheapskates making a buck off of other Jets fans backs need to learn to keep quiet, please cry quietly.  The score will be settled in about another 25 years.  You can complain about how "unfair" and how MetLife "isn't a good deal like before" at that time, when you've paid your dues, friend.

SAR I

Lost what fool?  I have my seats, doesnt mean Im the moron who tries to convince people that a bad dead is a good deal because you had to wait for tickets. 

The way you dont give a shlt about the guy who sat in the lower bowl for years and had to pony up $10,000 per seat for the privileged to buy a ticket I dont give a shlt that you or any other fan had to wait the way I did for my season tickets.  

Hey at least threads like this give you ammo to troll some more.  I assume this will lead to 50-75 posts from you talking up how happy you are getting ass fu(ked for the opportunity to seat in the stadium

10 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Out of curiosity, are you serious or is this a joke?

Completely serious.

I sit next to 1000 PSL owners in the stadium every Sunday, I interact with a dozen PSL owners in this forum every day, I have yet to run into a PSL owner who is outraged or even concerned about his fun money spent 8 years ago.

What I run into in this forum and on the radio are old timers who chose to give up their cherry seats in Giants Stadium because the Jets actually asked them to pay going rate instead of giving them the option to drive a ticket broker industry that is now vanquished.

No PSL owners are angry; just fans who didn't make the move into the new stadium.  They do all the bitching.

SAR I

My New Years Day tickets vs Bufflo just sold on Ticketmaster @ $156 each (net $140 each after 10%). Face was 170/ticket.   A rare occasion when they sell on Ticketmaster before stub hub.  3 more games to sell: NE, Mia and Indi.  I'm done with attending this season.  It's way too aggravating to see how incompetently this team is managed and the poor effort by the team's "big" stars.  To hell with them, they suck.  Yes, that means you Revis and you Wilkerson.  GFY's.  Hopefully my 2 parking passes will sell at enough profit to make up a little of that $90 loss.  Time to download the parking passes and post them on stub hub.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It's a good deal because it is the only way to get a set of consistent seats, with a good view, next to fans that grow to become your lifelong friends.

At what point do you finally come clean and admit that "lifelong friends" is code for "we've hosted their families for BBQs, and after the kids go to sleep, shared each others wives."

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

My New Years Day tickets vs Bufflo just sold on Ticketmaster @ $156 each (net $140 each after 10%).  A rare occasion when they sell on Ticketmaster before stub hub.  3 more games to sell: NE, Mia and Indi.  I'm done with attending this season.  It's way too aggravating to see how incompetently this team is managed and the poor effort by the team's "big" stars.  To hell with them, they suck.  Yes, that means you Revis and you Wilkerson.  GFY's.

Agree completely on the defensive fat cats who won't be bothered to play, but the Buffalo game is the one game where I'm going to hold onto my tickets-  if Petty starts to play well and if it's a win-and-in for the Bills, I want to be there when we eliminate Rex and it's announced he's being fired while he's still in the building.

SAR I

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

At what point do you finally come clean and admit that "lifelong friends" is code for "we've hosted their families for BBQs, and after the kids go to sleep, shared each others wives."

Perhaps a proud member of the Jets Fans Swingers' Club?

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Whoa!?  That's a benefit I've never thought of.

That said, I don't think the guys around me have wives that are enticing, unfortunately.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely on the defensive fat cats who won't be bothered to play, but the Buffalo game is the one game where I'm going to hold onto my tickets-  if Petty starts to play well and if it's a win-and-in for the Bills, I want to be there when we eliminate Rex and it's announced he's being fired while he's still in the building.

SAR I

thought it best to unload 'em now.  If the weather is ok and it looks interesting (Hack starting or Petty getting better) then I'll buy tickets the morning of.  Holding on to one parking pass just in case.  

Just now, SAR I said:

You need to answer this question, it's always amused me, no old timer has ever answered it:

In Giants Stadium, ticket prices went from $35 in 1983 to $50 in 1990 to $85 in 2000 to $100 in 2004 to $125 in 2009. 

Where was the outrage?  In a shorter span than the life of MetLife Stadium, you accepted a price increase of over FIVE TIMES what you were paying years earlier.  Where were the protests?  Where were the newspaper articles?  Where were the nasty calls to WFAN?

Since the Jets moved into MetLife Stadium our ticket prices did not go up at all until this year, and it was only $5.  You actually paid more money in ticket price increases in Giants Stadium those last few years than I did for PSL's in MetLife Stadium.  But I'm the idiot?

SAR I

For one, they werent $35 in 83.  Secondly the ticket price was still a bargain, who cares that it went up.  We were near the bottom of the league price wise and we were either the last or second to last team to force us to buy worthless preseason games.  I never cared about ticket prices.  Thats not the same as paying for a seat license to buy tickets.  Anyone can see the difference

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Chepie would be proud.

Those who couldn't afford them said "Oh my God, $4,000 for a PSL and it's due in April?" while the rest of us said "$4,000 over 30 years over 10 games is $13 a game, who cares?"

But the value in the PSL is something that existing Giants Stadium season ticket holders could never understand-  we would have paid anything to get great seats to Jets games in 1990.  But we were blocked out.   The PSL process was Gettysburg, Woody Johnson was Abraham Lincoln, we were finally free.

SAR I

I have to agree with that. 

I wanted 2 tix for the 2004 Season Opener vs. the Bengals. I recently began working and had a budget as a 24 year old in NYC. 

I recall relentless CL scrolling for  2004 Opening Day Jets Tix.

Best I could swing: Endzone Seats in the 300 level nosebleeds that were $100 OVER FACE VALUE AND the Prick had the MANDATE that I also buy the 2 preseason Tix at FACE Value. I caved because FINALLY going to Jets games on my own accord as an adult was one of my dreams as a kid that was easy to realize. There was a time that you were at the behest of those STHs, PSLs did drain that swamp and, despite ALL the bitching - thanks to technology & actual market forces - it's NOW AFFORDABLE to attend a Jets game. Sar's early 90's ticket cruising @ Giants Stadium sounds like a horror show because he had to COMMITT to going to the stadium with NO GUARANTEE of getting Tix, at least I had the internet & ability to assure entry without committing to the commute. You guys have it easier now and PSLs - that were discretionary income expenditures for most fans - make it EASIER AND CHEAPER for the average to the obsessed fan to secure a live viewing. 

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Lost what fool?  I have my seats, doesnt mean Im the moron who tries to convince people that a bad dead is a good deal because you had to wait for tickets. 

The way you dont give a shlt about the guy who sat in the lower bowl for years and had to pony up $10,000 per seat for the privileged to buy a ticket I dont give a shlt that you or any other fan had to wait the way I did for my season tickets.  

I'm going to say this again, because I don't think you get it:

The Jets didn't raise ticket prices for 7 years.  When I purchased my $4,000 PSL's I fully expected that my ticket prices would go from $125 to $175 which was logical based on past price increases, brand new stadium, Jets winning playoff games, etc.  Here's what the lack of that $50 ticket increase I'd budgeted is worth:

7 x 10 x $50 = $3,500

The Jets lack of a ticket price increase was a savings to my budget of $3,500.  My PSL's cost $4,000.  Woody Johnson's lack of a ticket price hike has almost completely mitigated the cost of the PSL.  The PSL was nothing more than advance payment on future price hikes.  We weren't raped; we just fronted Woody the money we otherwise would have paid in the form of ticket increases-  which, by the way, you never complained about.  The raping took place in Giants Stadium from 1990 to 2009 and you allowed them to do it to you.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

thought it best to unload 'em now.  If the weather is ok and it looks interesting (Hack starting or Petty getting better) then I'll buy tickets the morning of.  Holding on to one parking pass just in case.  

Smart.  Perhaps I'll do likewise.  A trip to the big city for a Bills clincher is a great Christmas present for cow tippers upstate, perhaps I'll list them on Black Friday.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

For one, they werent $35 in 83.  Secondly the ticket price was still a bargain, who cares that it went up.  We were near the bottom of the league price wise and we were either the last or second to last team to force us to buy worthless preseason games.  I never cared about ticket prices.  Thats not the same as paying for a seat license to buy tickets.  Anyone can see the difference

So I'm clear, this isn't about the money.  It's about the principle.

So had Woody Johnson instituted no PSL's, just raised ticket prices per usual and priced seats in the stadium at going rate by section, you'd be happy and we'd be friends?

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Smart.  Perhaps I'll do likewise.  A trip to the big city for a Bills clincher is a great Christmas present for cow tippers upstate, perhaps I'll list them on Black Friday.

SAR I

I usually dont sell my seats this far in advance.  I'm more aggravated by this team this year than in the past, even in bad years.  Something about Bowles (stubborn, quietly arrogant, reactionary, zero creativity in game plans) and the players' piss-poor attitudes this season that is really rubbing me the wrong way, far more than usual.

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The reason you only got a $5 increase could be a factor of things, the team stinks and they already have your additional money in PSL money. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The reason you only got a $5 increase could be a factor of things, the team stinks and they already have your additional money in PSL money. 

also because the end zone and corner  Mezz A seats were way overpriced to begin with.   My first tickets in MetLife were in the Mezz A corner 245A.  They started out at $120 while section 135 (20 yard line) started at $140,I think.   Ridiculous.  End zone is end zone, and no matter how you slice it, they shouldn't be priced that close to seats between the 20's.  JMO.

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The 4-5 Bills, on a 3 game losing streak, would need to pass one of the 3 teams in the AFC West who are all 7-3.  They'd also have to pass the Steelers and Colts who they're tied with and the Titans who are 5-5.  Isn't happening, despite the fantasy around here of us knocking them out of the playoffs.

May be better to unload before the Bills fans realize they're done.

Archived