Time for Woody Johnson to tear down Jets and start over

joewilly12

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Maccagnan was able to get a 10 win team last year with some luck and duct tape coupled with Fitzpatrick having a career year. Once Fitzpatrick regressed to him mean along with a tougher schedule, that went to hell. 

Maccagnan got nothing the NFL schedule makers gave us the easiest schedule in the NFL 

Are you really giving credit to Maccagnan

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Maccagnan got nothing the NFL schedule makers gave us the easiest schedule in the NFL 

Are you really giving credit to Maccagnan

No-luck included an easy schedule,and the relatively tougher 2016 schedule is mentioned at the end of the quoted sentence. 

there is a massive leadership void with this team

the coaching staff and revis must go, whatever the cost. I'm sure there are more bad apples, all the slackers need to go

then you can try to build around hungry young guys with heart and hustle and if they decide to actually coach hack, you have a big young kid with a live arm waiting to take over

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

the coaching staff and revis must go, whatever the cost. I'm sure there are more bad apples, all the slackers need to go

then you can try to build around hungry young guys with heart and hustle and if they decide to actually coach hack, you have a big young kid with a live arm waiting to take over

Revis is going through the motions like the rest of the 3-7 NY Jets no one stands out on this team 

All that blame is on the coaching staff for allowing it 

9 minutes ago, Larz said:

The coach who followed up Rex was doomed. The culture he created was deadly, and all take a complete roster turnover to get rid of the stench of what Rex leftover. Thankfully, it looks like Bowles does not have it anyway, so we are not losing out on a good coach because of Rex's leftovers. I agree wholeheartedly, its time to clear out the Rex leftovers, and Bowles. Start fresh, bring in a HC who has a legitimate plan to find and develop a QB, and let a bunch of young kids develop. We can deal with bad results if we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just now, NoBowles said:

The coach who followed up Rex was doomed. The culture he created was deadly, and all take a complete roster turnover to get rid of the stench of what Rex leftover. Thankfully, it looks like Bowles does not have it anyway, so we are not losing out on a good coach because of Rex's leftovers. I agree wholeheartedly, its time to clear out the Rex leftovers, and Bowles. Start fresh, bring in a HC who has a legitimate plan to find and develop a QB, and let a bunch of young kids develop. We can deal with bad results if we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We've had bad results since 1969 and most recently 2009-2010 need to fix it here and now. 

3 hours ago, phill1c said:

Just like the article, this opinion articulates nothing coherent. 

Beyond doing what every team does: drafting players and keeping the good veterans a team has, the article mentions no real divergence from that universally accepted method. The Jets ARE drafting players. Some of their youth IS on the field. And what does "blowing it up" really mean in the NFL? What Idzik did? Leaving 10s of millions of dollars in the bank while fielding a completely uncompetitive team (and drafting poorly I should add)?

So the alternative is a mostly aging roster with a 3-7 record? If we had to be 3-7 I'd rather be 3-7 with young players developing and learning how to win, rather than be 3-7 with overrated and overpriced veterans. As far as "poor drafting" you cannot judge a player based on 1 and 2 years. That much should be obvious. 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

I would like to see the next head coach be someone who knows how to coach the most imprtant position on the team

seems obvious, lol

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I would like to see the next head coach be someone who knows how to coach the most imprtant position on the team

seems obvious, lol

Couldn't agree with you more Larz no more imposters lets get a football minded disciplinarian in here so we can be a team that shows up competes every game and doesn't lead the league in penalties or INT's.

Revis is going through the motions like the rest of the 3-7 NY Jets no one stands out on this team 

All that blame is on the coaching staff for allowing it 

The worst part about this statement is that this seems to be rubbing off on the younger guys. Darron Lee is a non factor , CBs are playing terrible ... don't get me started with Sheldon's season .... or Wilkerson's slump.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Nobody plans on drafting badly. Or signing mediocre players to stupid contracts. "Blowing it up" is meaningless, an easy if stupid story for a lazy writer not covering an NFL team in the playoff race in November. Under the cap, every year is a new set of variables. There isn't some minor leaguers out there getting better in the minors. And really if you fire Maccagnan, what sane GM would want to take a job where the owner blows out his GM every 2 years? 

Maccagnan was able to get a 10 win team last year with some luck and duct tape coupled with Fitzpatrick having a career year. Once Fitzpatrick regressed to him mean along with a tougher schedule, that went to hell. 

What makes this year infuriating; clear we do not have a coach. And said idiot coach is now making a mess by not finding out if we have a QB of the Future already on the roster or is that still a need. 

The big problem is 'the 10 win year' as soon as that happens the whole org is in win now mode even if the gm knows that the 10 wins is more of an aberration and the team massively over achieved to get there, because of the coach and the owner he almost has to make moves in that direction.

I don't know whether to blame Mac for this or not.

20 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The worst part about this statement is that this seems to be rubbing off on the younger guys. Darron Lee is a non factor , CBs are playing terrible ... don't get me started with Sheldon's season .... or Wilkerson's slump.

All falls on the head coach that many give a free pass to. 

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The big problem is 'the 10 win year' as soon as that happens the whole org is in win now mode even if the gm knows that the 10 wins is more of an aberration and the team massively over achieved to get there, because of the coach and the owner he almost has to make moves in that direction.

I don't know whether to blame Mac for this or not.

I think Woody forced Macc to go for it somewhat. That's why they waited on Fitzpatrick

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Whats funny is we're a few plays and ****ups away from being competitive now, as horrible as this Defense is, and as horrific as our QB play has been.

Most of our losses are wins if we make an extra point or field Goal that we missed, don't fumble a punt/kickoff, don't let up a crazy 10 yard kick return, etc.  We could just as easily be 7-3 right now with just a few plays different, amazing as that is.

The "Tear it all down" idea is simple-mindedness at it's worst.  It presumes that tearing it all down, cutting all older talent, and sucking for 2-4 years, will boom! suprise! make us a contender.  

It's fantasy, what makes you a contender is total team talent and a Franchise QB.

We don't need to cut every Veteran, and go full out rebuild (which doesn't actually exist in the NFL) to become better.  We need to keep working to build younger talent where we have older talent or lesser talent.  We need to find a Franchise QB.  And we need a system of O-Co and D-Co that actually works in the modern NFL.....and it's not the Rex Era or Bowles Era ultra-conservative-win-by-1-all-about-the-Defense concept.

Burning it all down is dumb, it puts 100% of the burden on the GM to never miss on any Draft picks, for 2-3 years in a row, and that's simply not a thing in the NFL or any sport.  It requires we suck for years on end, to stockpile picks and high rank picks AND make them work perfectly.  And it requires we still find a Franchise QB, which is not effected by the "burn it all down" concept whatsoever, you either find one or you don't, and it's more likely you will know onw if you find it if he has SOME talent around him, and is not mired in "burn it all down" rebuild time.

Make no mistake, I too am tired of 6 years with no playoffs.  But burning down the team and going full retard isn't the answer.  

The answer is to build on what talent we have, manage the cap wisely (no more Revis deals), acquire new talent (hopefully young, but some older too).  And find that QB we've so long been missing.  Be it Petty.  Or be it Hack.  Or be it some future draft pick.

Our best choice now is to get Petty and maybe Hack some time on-field this year, and start their evaluations.  If they're not it, get rid of them and bring in new QB's next year.  I can be patient, but at QB, you have to show us something to warrant continues multi-year patience.  Petty, mid-way through year 2, needs to show us something now, or he's gone.

Hack better show us something by next year.  If not, look for a QB who will.  Always have 1-2 young hungry QB's waiting to compete.  Carry no, at at most one, lameduck old journeyman veteran QB spot filler, because they never become Franchise QB's.

And keep building the talent around the QB position, so when we do find one, he's got the support in place.

Agree with your first paragraph.  Yes we are a couple of plays away.  But next year we have negative cap spa ce and three OL that will cost us almost $25M and will most significant time next season.  Keeping them doesn't make us marginally better.  

And at QB, what do you suggest?  Will Fitz be better?  Should we roll the dice on another flawed draftee?  Do we go all in and give Cousins what he wants and Wash 2 #1 picks, one being a probable top 7?

The right thing to do is get rid of the high priced veterans that do not warrant their current contract.

Archived