I was rooting like hell

Jetster

I'm a Jet fan, I hate the Pats with a passion, I know we got zero calls from the refs, I was pissed for about 30 seconds after the Fitz strip sack, then I sighed, took a breath, and thought about those higher draft picks & everything was ok in the world again.

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm a Jet fan, I hate the Pats with a passion, I know we got zero calls from the refs, I was pissed for about 30 seconds after the Fitz strip sack, then I sighed, took a breath, and thought about those higher draft picks & everything was ok in the world again.

I pretty much felt the same way.

Although Brady is still great, your starting to see chinks in the armor. His knees bothering him (knees don't get better with age), the dude is gonna be 40. 

We're much closer than we think if we can find QB to lead this team. Everyone of our overpaid players are underachieving, showing their age & slow. This will be the 1st draft that Macc will have a top 5 pick in each round. 

The Jets are going to be a much FASTER team next year. Might not be better, but with the youth movement & hopefully grooming a QB, we might see a team that actually improves as the year progresses.

I never thought I'd be so looking forward to the announcement that we've cut Darrelle Revis. Addition by subtraction, wow, amazing how fast things can change in this league, that's why I'll always be optimistic every year Brady ages.

Ditto. 

Bowes is still a piece of sh*t. He didn't challenge the spot on that Enunwa catch on the sideline. It was a clear first down. He also didn't challenge the Pats FD until AFTER the Pats TO. He has no clue what he's doing out there. 

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

Ditto. 

Bowes is still a piece of sh*t. He didn't challenge the spot on that Enunwa catch on the sideline. It was a clear first down. He also didn't challenge the Pats FD until AFTER the Pats TO. He has no clue what he's doing out there. 

Yet Belichick / Brady do know what they're doing, and they are the ones who called the TO that let us review in the booth and decide to challenge.

Spot of ball challenges are tough to win at the best of times, you can't call those from the sidelines all that easily. You need the booth to confirm if it's worth it. And that early in the game you don't want to burn your challenges on maybes.

Just imagine if he'd used up his challenges before the Enunwa TD??

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Yet Belichick / Brady do know what they're doing, and they are the ones who called the TO that let us review in the booth and decide to challenge.

Spot of ball challenges are tough to win at the best of times, you can't call those from the sidelines all that easily. You need the booth to confirm if it's worth it. And that early in the game you don't want to burn your challenges on maybes.

This

42 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Just imagine if we win the easy challenge? It'd change the entire course if the game ...and we'd have an extra challenge. Also, if Tom doesn't call that TO, it becomes a delay if game penalty n Jets still get to review the play. Toms TO wasn't the reason he reviewed the call. 

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Although Brady is still great, your starting to see chinks in the armor. His knees bothering him (knees don't get better with age), the dude is gonna be 40. 

We're much closer than we think if we can find QB to lead this team. Everyone of our overpaid players are underachieving, showing their age & slow. This will be the 1st draft that Macc will have a top 5 pick in each round. 

The Jets are going to be a much FASTER team next year. Might not be better, but with the youth movement & hopefully grooming a QB, we might see a team that actually improves as the year progresses.

I never thought I'd be so looking forward to the announcement that we've cut Darrelle Revis. Addition by subtraction, wow, amazing how fast things can change in this league, that's why I'll always be optimistic every year Brady ages.

To me.... Revis is like Keyshon. Great player with a SB ring but no true home, no true fan base. The young JETS fans who wear his jersey puzzle me.  He is a mercenary, no more, no less. he would throw you to the sea in a lifeboat if it meant he got more water.

Revis jerseys to me are wirthless.

Where are the true NY Jet players on this team?

Guys you really root for. Not many. I would put Leo & Enunwa, maybe Powell because he tries so hard but he's really nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd string RB. 

Thats why this team is bottom 5 right now. They truly have no identity. When you think of the Jets who comes to mind? An over the hill waste of money like Revis is the 1st thing. Harris was a great Jet but even Pat fans must be like, "that dude is still playing?" My god, Jerod Mayo is younger than Harris & he's been out of the league for  couple years already.

Jets are in a really sad state that only some great drafts over the next 3 years can fix.

6 minutes ago, prime21 said:

I could never ever EVER root for the Jets to lose game but like you, as soon as the whistle blows I'm happy we didn't mess with our potential draft spot.

Yup, it's the silver lining.

Couldn't help but wonder how pissed off the "I hope the Jets get blown out by the Pats" folks were when the Jets had the lead late in the game.

I'll speak to that:

having the lead and winning are two different things. I didn't expect a blowout, the Jets were playing at home after a bye week, while NE was coming back from the west coast. And, really Fitzpatrick plays just well enough to lose, generally in the fashion he did.

I mean, it sounds like you guys are strutting about as if playing well enough to lose is some sort of badge of honor.

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I'll speak to that:

having the lead and winning are two different things. I didn't expect a blowout, the Jets were playing at home after a bye week, while NE was coming back from the west coast. And, really Fitzpatrick plays just well enough to lose, generally in the fashion he did.

I mean, it sounds like you guys are strutting about as if playing well enough to lose is some sort of badge of honor.

Who did that?

13 hours ago, Blackout said:

even the CBS fags calling the game were anti Jets

The world is anti-Jets.

We don't have our own stadium. We don't play in our named state. We haven't had a "face of the NFL" caliber player in decades. Every time we have a national spotlight, we wet ourselves. Our fans typically meet every expectation for being the drunk, obnoxious, low-brow, impatient, irrational, defeatist and crude bunch that we get characterized as. 

In the story of this sport, like wrestling for example, there are heroes, villains, age-old stalwarts who get respect but don't make noise, and the bumbling idiots who can do nothing right. We, unfortunately, are that last one.

3 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I'll speak to that:

Fitz plays well enough to win if defense makes a stop. Another lengthy drive given up that looked like a practice drill for the Pats. Maybe you don't know about good football teams and history, but almost all great teams (even plain old good ones) have a defense that can make critical stops, at least occasionally. This one NEVER does. Good luck finding a young QB who is going to consistently lead game winning drives with a minute or so to go and the length of the field to drive and usually one or zero timeouts. Fitz did it several times last season actually. Amazing that Fitz had team in position to score with rookie fumbling, dropped potential TD, virtually every ref call going for the opposing team, no running game, terrible field position, etc... and the guy has to hear sh•t about fumbling after getting hit from behind as he was throwing on the final drive. There is definitely a bias against the guy. I have no doubts now. Sure, get rid of him, and good luck playing the Pats and other good teams with the garbage this team has behind him at QB...it will no doubt be embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Where are the true NY Jet players on this team?

Guys you really root for. Not many. I would put Leo & Enunwa, maybe Powell because he tries so hard but he's really nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd string RB. 

Thats why this team is bottom 5 right now. They truly have no identity. When you think of the Jets who comes to mind? An over the hill waste of money like Revis is the 1st thing. Harris was a great Jet but even Pat fans must be like, "that dude is still playing?" My god, Jerod Mayo is younger than Harris & he's been out of the league for  couple years already.

Jets are in a really sad state that only some great drafts over the next 3 years can fix.

Not quite, IMO. Macc has done a pretty good job with the salary management. No, the deals he made were not all winners. But we are in a position where we can drop a TON of salary without losing much impact on team play/productivity. Breno, Revis, Harris and Fitz can all be released without much of a cap hit (Revis' would be 6mil but worth it considering his massive base salary and awful play). Clady can be released as well but would need to be replaced. Then there are guys like Marshall, Decker, Skrine and Gilchrist that may make sense to re-structure and open up some more cap space.

If they do this, they will open up a ton of cap room and clear out a number of older, under-performing players. This will allow them to make some impact FA signings, if they choose.

They will hopefully have a high draft pick in this year's draft and already have some very nice young players in Enunwa, Lee, Jenkins, Leo, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Burris, possibly Hack, possibly D.Smith.

I posted about this in the draft section. But if the Jets clear out the above players and sign Vollmer- OT, J.Collins- OLB, K.Alonso-ILB, P. Amukamara-CB and Hoyer-QB and have even a marginally successful draft, along with the assumed continual development of their promising young players on the roster, you will already have a young, promising roster and a team that can compete with anyone.

I think its pretty obvious the identity of this team is defense- and has been for some time now. Their secondary has been awful this year and needs fixing. They have some very nice talent on offense and desperately need better QB play. The O-line is solid, not great, and needs an infusion of young talent, which comes with time and some draft luck.

2017 Depth chart with said additions: Assuming Jets draft OT, TE, CB, RB, S 

QB: Hoyer-FA, Petty, Hack (hopefully Hoyer can be a backup and Petty of Hack take hold of the starting gig- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HACK!)

RB: Forte, Powell, rookie?

TE: Bostik, ASJ, rookie?

WR: Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, D.Smith, J.Marshall, Peake

OT: Vollmer-FA, Ijalana (re-signed), Qvale, Shell, rookie?

OG: Winters, Carpenter, Dozier, misc. depth

C: W.Johnson, misc. depth 

D-line: Wilk, Richardson (maybe he gets traded, I don't know), McLendon, L.Williams, misc. depth 

ILB: K.Alonso-FA, Carter, Lee, Henderson, misc. depth

OLB: J.Collins-FA, Mauldin, Jenkins, J.Martin (re-signed), misc. depth

CB: P.Amukamara-FA, Roberts, Williams, Skrine, J.Burris, rookie?, misc. depth (McDougle?)

S: Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, rookie?, misc. depth    

7 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Fitz plays well enough to win if defense makes a stop.

this, unfortunately, is not the reality. If wishes were horses, everyone would ride.

And, I point out, the game doesn't end when Fitzpatrick does something good. The game ends, usually, when he does something bad, in this case ANOTHER game-clinching turnover. He had plenty of time to mount even a Fitz-like drive and, guess what, he turned the ball over.

The announcers mentioned this very thing, "the Jets two-minute 4th quarter offense has had ZERO points this season". ZERO.

So, no, he did not play well enough to win.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Fitz plays well enough to win if defense makes a stop.

And, really, the probability is that even the Jets defense stops him then, NE still has three timeouts and their defense would probably have made a stop, based on Mr. Run-it-into-the-line Todd Bowles. So then Brady has more than a minute to drive the length of whatever field there was.

The game is 60 minutes, and there were more than two minutes left to it. Way too many variables for you to say this.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The world is anti-Jets.

We don't have our own stadium. We don't play in our named state. We haven't had a "face of the NFL" caliber player in decades. Every time we have a national spotlight, we wet ourselves. Our fans typically meet every expectation for being the drunk, obnoxious, low-brow, impatient, irrational, defeatist and crude bunch that we get characterized as. 

In the story of this sport, like wrestling for example, there are heroes, villains, age-old stalwarts who get respect but don't make noise, and the bumbling idiots who can do nothing right. We, unfortunately, are that last one.

GO JETS!

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Not quite, IMO. Macc has done a pretty good job with the salary management. No, the deals he made were not all winners. But we are in a position where we can drop a TON of salary without losing much impact on team play/productivity. Breno, Revis, Harris and Fitz can all be released without much of a cap hit (Revis' would be 6mil but worth it considering his massive base salary and awful play). Clady can be released as well but would need to be replaced. Then there are guys like Marshall, Decker, Skrine and Gilchrist that may make sense to re-structure and open up some more cap space.

If they do this, they will open up a ton of cap room and clear out a number of older, under-performing players. This will allow them to make some impact FA signings, if they choose.

They will hopefully have a high draft pick in this year's draft and already have some very nice young players in Enunwa, Lee, Jenkins, Leo, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Burris, possibly Hack, possibly D.Smith.

I posted about this in the draft section. But if the Jets clear out the above players and sign Vollmer- OT, J.Collins- OLB, K.Alonso-ILB, P. Amukamara-CB and Hoyer-QB and have even a marginally successful draft, along with the assumed continual development of their promising young players on the roster, you will already have a young, promising roster and a team that can compete with anyone.

I think its pretty obvious the identity of this team is defense- and has been for some time now. Their secondary has been awful this year and needs fixing. They have some very nice talent on offense and desperately need better QB play. The O-line is solid, not great, and needs an infusion of young talent, which comes with time and some draft luck.

2017 Depth chart with said additions: Assuming Jets draft OT, TE, CB, RB, S 

QB: Hoyer-FA, Petty, Hack (hopefully Hoyer can be a backup and Petty of Hack take hold of the starting gig- DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HACK!)

RB: Forte, Powell, rookie?

TE: Bostik, ASJ, rookie?

WR: Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, D.Smith, J.Marshall, Peake

OT: Vollmer-FA, Ijalana (re-signed), Qvale, Shell, rookie?

OG: Winters, Carpenter, Dozier, misc. depth

C: W.Johnson, misc. depth 

D-line: Wilk, Richardson (maybe he gets traded, I don't know), McLendon, L.Williams, misc. depth 

ILB: K.Alonso-FA, Carter, Lee, Henderson, misc. depth

OLB: J.Collins-FA, Mauldin, Jenkins, J.Martin (re-signed), misc. depth

CB: P.Amukamara-FA, Roberts, Williams, Skrine, J.Burris, rookie?, misc. depth (McDougle?)

S: Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, rookie?, misc. depth    

sh*t... we're going to get worse?

Archived