JetNation

report_card1-e1356915934587.gif

New York Jets Report Card

Week 15: Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets

12/17/2016

Quarterback: D-

Petty: 20/36, 235 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 rush for 0 yards, 1 fumble lost

Fitzpatrick: 5/10, 31 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

It’s not pleasant to see those 3 turnovers on the stat line, but the fumble was largely the fault of the blocking up front and his wideouts rarely did him any favors. Petty was impressive in the 1st quarter tonight, displaying a growing maturity and command of the offense. But things took a turn for the worse as the game went on, and the Jets couldn’t finish drives. Petty took a devastating hit from Suh and Wake and had to leave the game so we got Fitz all over again. Our luck, right? Oh, and of course, Fitz threw a pick of his own.

Running Backs: A

IMG_0555-300x227.jpg

Forte: 4/21/0, 1 reception for 7 yards

Powell: 16/84/0, 11 receptions for 78 yards

Powell was fantastic for the second straight week. Partially because Forte saw limited reps with an injury and partially because we’re supposed to believe that this was part of Bowles’ master plan. There’s something to be said about keeping a back fresh and unleashing him on tired linemen and linebackers late in the season, but the Jets shouldn’t have waited until they were 11 games in before upping Powell’s touches.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: C-

B. Marshall: 1/16/0

Enunwa: 5/64/0

Peake: 2/18/0

Anderson: 4/80/1

Seferian-Jenkins: 1/3/0

Brandon Marshall had one of his worst games in a Jets uniform – looked like a lack of concentration. Seferian-Jenkins also hurt Petty with a drop. Enunwa and Anderson both stood out, and should be the cornerstones of a young, up and coming Jets receiving group.

Offensive Line: F

The Jets need to re-build on this offensive line, big time. They were manhandled by a tough Miami Dolphins front 7 early and often. There were plenty of poor snaps, and, although Petty’s inexperience likely contributed, there were way too many free (or nearly free) rushes to the quarterback. It was truly horrifying.

Defensive Line: D

Where is the hustle from this group and the resulting pressure? This should have been one of the most dominant groups in the league this year and it has been anything but.

Linebackers: C-

The Jets limited the Dolphins pretty well on the ground, especially early on. But when the Dolphins figured out how to beat pass coverage, it no longer mattered – and this group does not do well in either the pass rush or in coverage.

Secondary: F

Did you hear Calvin Pryor’s name called? I did. He’s still a Jet, believe it or not. Another rough game for Revis who has lost more than just a single step now. Burris pulled down a pick on Dolphins backup QB Matt Moore. F, F, F. I can’t give enough F’s.

Special Teams: F

Nick Folk nailed a tough 48 yarder. Otherwise? What a mess. Another special teams touchdown allowed – this time on a blocked punt. And they were in an illegal formation when it happened, so there’s that. The Jets are going to need to start from scratch with the specials unit next season.

Coaching: F

How did Burris end up in man coverage against a burner in Kenny Stills? Come on, man. 2 timeouts lost on a 4th & 1. Brutal. A team that looks unprepared and confused week in and week out.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
chlzpWwj2E4

Click here to read the full story...

Agree with all ... Except D-line grade is a little harsh ... They had some good goal line stops in the running game ... Didn't get the pressure on the QB in time vs the pass ... But were mostly solid vs the run. ... Think I'd prob say C+ ... Def not lower than C

Our Dline basically just parked their fat behinds on the line of scrimmage and didn't move from there the entire game.  The equivalent of a wall, they get no push, but can't be moved either...   So its nice for goalline defense and all, but it doesn't help much for the pass rush, or when the hb runs sweeps. 

My big worry is the same i've had all season.  Namely the fact that our supposed great players (Williams, Richardson, Wilkerson) have a tendency of looking elite in the first quarter, and then they gas, and then you don't hear from them for the rest of the game.  The lack of a pass rush is pretty glaring when you watch Suh and Wake on the opposite side.

Anyway, the secondary is probably the worst in the league, and outside of Harris our lbs were a no show tonight.

Special teams is on Mac..  We were supposed to have brought in some dedicated players in to help fix that unit, but so far its been conspicously terrible, basically just like last year..

I thought Petty looked better than a D- to be honest.  

I think the problem with the offense is that, we're not in evaluate Bilal Powell mode, and teams know that, which is why they are willing to let him run a bit more free than usual.  They know the Jets want to see what Petty has, so they'd rather see how they can stop him.  It's another bright idea from the mind of Bowles to wait until we don't have anything to play for to put in a QB in a situation, where the whole defense knows they are going to pass more often.  Can we please fire him?  

Impossible to rate Petty with an OL as dangerous as this.  He showed he could set up and deliver a ball.  The fumble was unavoidable.  I missed INT 3.  He is fearless.  But this line.........I did see Brandon drop 2 and Anderson drop 1 and neither fight too hard for some others.  ASJ is useless.  The singular fault so far for Petty?  He has to learn it is better to overthrow than underthrow.  But frankly I cannot fairly say that I know he cannot do the job.  Not from watching this cast of characters.  As I said before, all we might know about him after this is whether he might serve as a viable backup.  This team will not let him have success.

7 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Dead cap money. It makes the difference in ST play. People can actually get better low end ST'ers with those funds. Too many here think it does not matter what dead cap space means. Both losses totheFins came because of ST.

Special teams poor play has nothing to do with dead cap money. It has to do with injuries and incompetent drafting by the previous regime. 14 players being on injured reserve and not to mention injuries making players who would be on the specials inactive means that not only are you getting 3rd and 4th string players at starting positions, but it's also taking them away from their assignments on specials. Those roles are now being filled by guys off the street. Also, the many draft failures of Idzik show up not just in the early rounds, but the late rounds where you can find solid players who can be on specials. There is not a lot of depth on this team and that's because of poor drafting and injuries. Dead money is not even a factor. 

20 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Special teams poor play has nothing to do with dead cap money. It has to do with injuries and incompetent drafting by the previous regime. 14 players being on injured reserve and not to mention injuries making players who would be on the specials inactive means that not only are you getting 3rd and 4th string players at starting positions, but it's also taking them away from their assignments on specials. Those roles are now being filled by guys off the street. Also, the many draft failures of Idzik show up not just in the early rounds, but the late rounds where you can find solid players who can be on specials. There is not a lot of depth on this team and that's because of poor drafting and injuries. Dead money is not even a factor. 

You have a few points but are sadly mistaken about dead cap space not being a factor. Stop protecting your choice of Futz. It is another huge error by the Jets

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Anyone focus on Brandon Shell? That Wake hit wasn't his fault. I saw him get some RB chip help as expected but didn't really watch him much.

Watched him a decent amount. Overall, not a bad first start. Is very strong, and it is obvious he has worked hard on his footwork. Still raw, but saw enough to think he may be a player for us going forward.

another time capsule performance from Revis.  The only member of the secondary who played like he wanted to be here next year was Rontez Miles, again!  Burriss was burned badly on the T.D. but is a rookie and at least seemed interested.  Prior was atrocious as was Williams, and I thought Roberts was invisible as well.  The offensive line was the worst in memory and Petty is fortunate to be alive.  Winters must stay,   Brandon Shell wasn't exposed, and the center play has been suprisingly consistent.  Carpenter has not been the same player, and Ijalana should be rooming with the bum the Giants drafted from univ. of Miami, name escapes me at the moment. Ijalana can't play another snap on the end.  Bilal Powell was a reason to watch as well as Leo  Williams, pro bowler.  Petty was encouraging at times, and it was nice to see old Fitz, for a moment, just to remind us why he belongs n the bench, Kickoff/Return man Marshall tried mightily, but needs better blocking,  Punter sucked, again! Receivers drop too many balls,  Got outcoached again!!!

Archived