Is there anything to be positive about this season?

Freemanm

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think now people understand the damage that years of bad drafting have done.

Just realize that we are probably going to suck next year too which isn't bad because I believe next year is the better QB draft. As many have said, this is a big draft for Macc coming up and his last draft is starting to see some potential  

20 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Is there anything to be positive about this season?

1. The end of the Geno Smith experiment, and the Ryan Fitzpatrick Fill-In Era.  We go into 2017 at QB with two youngsters with potential and maybe more.

2. Talent at WR.  While they're not All-Pro's yet by any means, the cadre of younger home-grown WR's we have has a lot of talent and potential.

3. Um.......lets see, O-line, nope.  D-Line, nope.  D-Backs, hell no.  LB'ers, nope.  RB...Powell maybe...er.....not really.  Specials, lol no.  Coaching, dear god nope.

Yep, that's it.  That's the list. 

We really are in something of a total rebuild position now.  Weak in many places, no QB, bad coaching, unmotivated "stars", past their prime cashing it in "stars" and too expensive for what they give us "stars", all of whom could be cut or shipped off for picks.  

If Woody and Macc are smart, Bowles is gone (and Chan with him), his own Offense-minded Head Coach brought in, and a legit rebuild 5-year plan put in place.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. The end of the Geno Smith experiment, and the Ryan Fitzpatrick Fill-In Era.  We go into 2017 at QB with two youngsters with potential and maybe more.

2. Talent at WR.  While they're not All-Pro's yet by any means, the cadre of younger home-grown WR's we have has a lot of talent and potential.

3. Um.......lets see, O-line, nope.  D-Line, nope.  D-Backs, hell no.  LB'ers, nope.  RB...Powell maybe...er.....not really.  Specials, lol no.  Coaching, dear god nope.

We really are in something of a total rebuild position now.  Weak in many places, no QB, bad coaching, unmotivated "stars", past their prime cashing it in "stars" and too expensive for what they give us "stars", all of whom could be cut or shipped off for picks.  

If Woody and Macc are smart, Bowles is gone (and Chan with him), his own Offense-minded Head Coach brought in, and a legit rebuild 5-year plan put in place.

I disagree with that if Shell can continue to play well

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree with that if Shell can continue to play well

Ya same here, if they come out of these last few weeks with a starting right tackle, that's huge... It won't get the press that a stud QB or CB or something would, but the OL is a huge piece to this team bouncing back. If there's one less piece they have to look for, then all the better.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why is Macc getting a pass? He's already wasted two years and you want to give him five more? Based on what? I understand he was way behind the eight ball when it came to talent, but there was plenty of cap space and draft picks to make smart investments. He hasn't done that. There hasn't been one free agent brought in besides Carpenter who has panned out and played to the contract. His draft history in two years is also questionable. I'm sorry, but I just don't see why he gets to fire the coach and get a clean slate when he hasn't done an adequate job of building the roster for any coach to make better. 

Just now, DMan77 said:

Ya same here, if they come out of these last few weeks with a starting right tackle, that's huge... It won't get the press that a stud QB or CB or something would, but the OL is a huge piece to this team bouncing back. If there's one less piece they have to look for, then all the better.

If Shell plays well, the only real hole becomes LT.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Why is Macc getting a pass? He's already wasted two years and you want to give him five more? Based on what? I understand he was way behind the eight ball when it came to talent, but there was plenty of cap space and draft picks to make smart investments. He hasn't done that. There hasn't been one free agent brought in besides Carpenter who has panned out and played to the contract. His draft history in two years is also questionable. I'm sorry, but I just don't see why he gets to fire the coach and get a clean slate when he hasn't done an adequate job of building the roster for any coach to make better. 

Its not Maccs job to make talent play or stay healthy.  That's why I fire Bowles.

Macc's moves have generally been fine, logical in the moment in which they were made, and good decisions.  The Coaching staff (and player themselves) failure to perform in not on Macc, at least not to a point where he should be fired.  Certainly not when he is stuck with a Head Coach he didn't hire.

I have no real issue with Macc as yet.  even the Revis signing, which I hated, made logical sense at the time.  Who knew Revis was suck a pussy who would cash it in like this.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Its not Maccs job to make talent play or stay healthy.  That's why I fire Bowles.

Macc's moves have generally been fine, logical in the moment in which they were made, and good decisions.  The Coaching staff (and player themselves) failure to perform in not on Macc, at least not to a point where he should be fired.  Certainly not when he is stuck with a Head Coach he didn't hire.

I have no real issue with Macc as yet.  even the Revis signing, which I hated, made logical sense at the time.  Who knew Revis was suck a pussy who would cash it in like this.

That's the key. He's made only 2 mistakes IMO, which at the time could be called mistakes.

1. Drafting Hackenberg in the second round.

2. Signing Jarvis Jenkins ( which ended up not costing us a draft pick)

No signing Fitzpatrick isn't a mistake because the signing's only for 1 year.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If Shell plays well, the only real hole becomes LT.

True... After this year I'm suddenly a big "we need a lot of depth!" guy, but from the standpoint of just outright holes, I agree... Just need to find an average to good LT and that line is suddenly so much stronger.

I'm also excited (or interested at least) to watch how Wes Johnson plays these next couple of weeks too... If he can take over at center or at least be a big depth piece on that line, even better.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly....but I think there is 50/50 chance Bowles gets fired and a 90/10 chance his DC gets fired.  I think there will be a lot of coaching changes made but Bowles and Chan survive but who knows I would not lose any sleep if they fired all.  I would like to see jets bring in more of the teacher coaches like Callahan.  My theory on Bowles is he depends on vets to teach the younger players too much where vets have no interest.

i like what Macc has done so far in setting up the new college scouting team and I think this upcoming offseason is where we will see more benefits of that.

49 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think at the time Macc made the right moves even with my hindsight 20/20 glasses on.  He came in to a team whose starting QB was Geno Smith.  He proceeded to fill out the roster with high priced vets to make them at least competitive with Geno Smith. While at same time he was filling roster with the 20 something new blood.  Oh and let us not forget he HAD to spend money because of the cap situation.

guess what....it worked they were 1 game from playoffs and gave jet fans reason to watch.

none of the high priced FA contracts will cripple the jets going forward.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I think at the time Macc made the right moves even with my hindsight 20/20 glasses on.  He came in to a team whose starting QB was Geno Smith.  He proceeded to fill out the roster with high priced vets to make them at least competitive with Geno Smith. While at same time he was filling roster with the 20 something new blood.  Oh and let us not forget he HAD to spend money because of the cap situation.

guess what....it worked they were 1 game from playoffs and gave jet fans reason to watch.

none of the high priced FA contracts will cripple the jets going forward.

Masking the Jets competitive in 2015 was cutting off the nose to spite the face. The rebuild should have been done then. It wasn't sustainable and now two years are gone and the roster is in worse shape than it was before and much less cap space. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Masking the Jets competitive in 2015 was cutting off the nose to spite the face. The rebuild should have been done then. It wasn't sustainable and now two years are gone and the roster is in worse shape than it was before and much less cap space. 

I agree. But,again, I understood why he did it. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Give me a break..if was possible to fix a 4 and whatever team with Geno Smith QB in 1 offseason then every team on league would be doing that every year and every team would be winning Super Bowl.  Fact is he is rebuilding via draft.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Could have fooled me. 

Lol can't pull one over you I guess

Hmm let see who is starting in tommorrow game?

Starting QB,RT,WR2,WR4,SOLB,WOLB,ILB,CB,DE, and NT

Not too mention the 2 and 3 year players TE,RG,LT,C,RB3,FS,SS,CB3...probably missing a few more

No fooling you though.

59 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Lol can't pull one over you I guess

Hmm let see who is starting in tommorrow game?

Starting QB,RT,WR2,WR4,SOLB,WOLB,ILB,CB,DE, and NT

Not too mention the 2 and 3 year players TE,RG,LT,C,RB3,FS,SS,CB3...probably missing a few more

No fooling you though.

Most of those are due to injury. And you can't count third year players because they aren't from Macc. You're fighting a lose battle here kid. You don't have the bullets. This is a team with a losing record and no good young talent at the major positions. Sorry. That obviously isn't being fixed in two offseasons but it certainly is questionable if it's been improved. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Most of those are due to injury. And you can't count third year players because they aren't from Macc. You're fighting a lose battle here kid. You don't have the bullets. This is a team with a losing record and no good young talent at the major positions. Sorry. That obviously isn't being fixed in two offseasons but it certainly is questionable if it's been improved. 

Lol please you are such a hypocryt you say there must be a total rebuild out of one side and then deny or complain about it when it is place.

And no they are not all from injury and yes Macc does now own the rostet warts and all.

What's glaringly missng from this roster are all the drafts prior to his.

4 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Lol please you are such a hypocryt you say there must be a total rebuild out of one side and then deny or complain about it when it is place.

And no they are not all from injury and yes Macc does now own the rostet warts and all.

What's glaringly missng from this roster are all the drafts prior to his.

I have no idea what a "hypocryt" is but yes, there should be a complete rebuild in place. If you think that's what has been happening the last two years, I have some swamp land available to sell you. 

And of course not all of them are from injury. That's why I didn't say all. I said most. You have a reading comprehension problem. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I have no idea what a "hypocryt" is but yes, there should be a complete rebuild in place. If you think that's what has been happening the last two years, I have some swamp land available to sell you. 

And of course not all of them are from injury. That's why I didn't say all. I said most. You have a reading comprehension problem. 

Spelling and english comprehension is your best arguement on a football forum.....pussy.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ah. The age old personal attack because you don't have stats or facts to base your argument on. Quicker than I thought but I knew it'd come eventually. Solid. 

Lol whatever dude....your only arguement is "a duh macc sucks". Mac sh have traded up to 1 slot and got us that damn QB...

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ah. The age old personal attack because you don't have stats or facts to base your argument on. Quicker than I thought but I knew it'd come eventually. Solid. 

Oh and if ia am reading correctly I believe you are accusing me of what you already did hypocryt...solid

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

Lol whatever dude....your only arguement is "a duh macc sucks". Mac sh have traded up to 1 slot and got us that damn QB...

That's not my argument, which apparently is falling on deaf ears with you. Again, you obviously have a comprehension issue. I don't think Macc sucks. There are spears of his job he is better at than others. That said, he had a plethora of cap space and a bunch of draft picks to start the rebuild 2 years ago when it was needed. He decided to bring in aging, declining vets with big contracts instead. Now the rebuild has been delayed two seasons and the cap space is gone and the drafts he's had have provided very little faith in many that he's the right guy for the job. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's not my argument, which apparently is falling on deaf ears with you. Again, you obviously have a comprehension issue. I don't think Macc sucks. There are spears of his job he is better at than others. That said, he had a plethora of cap space and a bunch of draft picks to start the rebuild 2 years ago when it was needed. He decided to bring in aging, declining vets with big contracts instead. Now the rebuild has been delayed two seasons and the cap space is gone and the drafts he's had have provided very little faith in many that he's the right guy for the job. 

I must have a comprension issue because the cap space is not gone if you read my original post and he had the avg amount of picks not a bunch.  And nothing has been delayed it has actually been happening under your unsuspecting little football mind.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

I must have a comprension issue because the cap space is not gone if you read my original post and he had the avg amount of picks not a bunch.  

He had 40 million in space and now they're right up against the cap. They're going to have to cut 5-10 players in the offseason to create space. Yes he had to spend some of it, but it's the way that he spent it that is highly questionable. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

He had 40 million in space and now they're right up against the cap. They're going to have to cut 5-10 players in the offseason to create space. Yes he had to spend some of it, but it's the way that he spent it that is highly questionable. 

Lol tjose 5 players need to go and not because of how much money they are being paid..amd so'e of them are the very same player you are complainimg that he gave money in 1st place too

Just now, SickJetFan said:

Lol tjose 5 players need to go and not because of how much money they are being paid..amd so'e of them are the very same player you are complainimg that he gave money in 1st place too

And news flash...there will be more FA coming inthis year too while the rebuild continues.

11 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Now you're talking in circles. If this was a true rebuild two years ago, you don't trade assets for these players like Marshall or Clady or Fitzpatrick. You don't sink money in aging veterans like Revis or Harris or Cromartie. Period. You put the money to rebuilding the team in a smart way, through young burgeoning free agents and smart drafting. He hasn't done either. What free agent has he brought in besides Carpenter that is under 30 and not on the chopping block to be cut this offseason? That's admitting to a failure. Not sure why you can't see that. 

Archived