Is there anything to be positive about this season?

Freemanm

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No.  This is rock-bottom.

During the Kotite years one at least understood that the team was bereft of talent.  This current team has talent on both sides of the ball but they refuse to work hard enough to show it.  It's disgusting.

SAR I

Not true.  I believe the 96' team had equal or more talent than this team.   

I would gladly trade this roster for that one.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed. 

We have one shot at positivity-  change the head coach, change the defensive coordinator, see if someone can light a fire under their lazy asses, put them in a scheme that works, get the D turned around.

The O can be a work in progress, that's expected with young QB's and an aging OL.  But the D?  No excuse.

SAR I

Agree SAR I dead on good post. 

I'm hopeful we have either seen the start of or drafted the team's long term QB. No evidence to that yet.

Young WRs look pretty good. In two years we went from having nothing at WR to it being one of our strongest, if not the strongest, units. We cut guys this year that would have been our #3 and 4 a few years ago. 

Lee and Williams look good. Some other young players look promising. 

Powell continues to look good.

With the draft position we have it just seems if the top QBs were available and Jets feel they are no better prospects than Petty/Hack then I would only use one that potentially falls to us to see if we can trade down to get more picks. Otherwise in what appears to be a so-so to weak top end QB class we should draft other needs first like LT, CB, PASS Rushing LB, etc.  Those are areas that really are hurting our team almost as much as the QB position. We can't cover anyone due to a lack of a top CB and little pass rush from the LBs. That is forcing us to play from behind most of the time since our scoring D is so bad. Our positives on D are Williams and LBs Lee/Jenkins that we should be able to build around in the front 7. On O we are pretty good at skill positions WR, RB, etc. and perhaps just need some depth at TE and RB. But, this Oline needs to be built at LT, C, etc. Johnson is fine at C if we want to keep developing him, but the Oline mainly at LT will impact any QB we would have out there.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

During the Kotite years one at least understood that the team was bereft of talent.  This current team has talent on both sides of the ball but they refuse to work hard enough to show it.  It's disgusting.

SAR I

And that's on TB.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Perfect response and it all begins at the top

But who is "Brandon Lee" that the OP was referring to? Was that our stellar first round pick last year he was referring to?

Thought we;'d miss Snacks Harrison, but never thought it;d be this bad;  so disappointed in Wilkerson,really thought he was the real deal.  Not  too suprised by Mr Richardson, but disappointed, nonetheless.  Simon has been a bright spot and Leo is everything we;d hoped for and much, much more. p.s.  Wesley Johnson has been alot more than just adequate  on a team chock full of  quitters and underachievers.  Back up the truck

Anderson and Enunwa are my two positives that improved on my expectation.

Would have liked to see more from Leo, but he played well and is about what I hoped for (but he's not a monster yet, lets not get ahead of ourselves).

Everyone else, and I mean everyone, has underperformed relative to what I hoped for, which is really dissappointing.

- We have some talented young receivers. 

- Petty has shown some progress. He has potential to be the starting QB next year and beyond. 

- Leo is a beast

- Lee is promising. 

- The coaching staff was exposed, and will likely have quite a bit of turnover. 

- Most of the dead weight will not only be gone next year, but their release will create a lot of cap space.

There are probably some silver linings that we don't see yet..

I think right now the biggest 'positive' is that we're getting to see some of our young guys get more snaps and get an extended audition here. It lets us at least get an idea on what we have going into next season, and lets us focus our offseason plan a little more...

Shell has looked good, some of young WRs are hanging in there, Jenkins has been solid... 

Not the kind of team we were hoping to run out there at this point in the season, but this kind of evaluation will help in the long run... Probably... 

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

And the arrow points directly at the head coach. Red flags galore

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I will answer this just  before next training camp.

If the coach and front office just purges most of the lazy, underachieving vets, realizes that they as coach and gm have to do things very differently and acknowledge that the team as built was a massive flop and we need a total rebuild this season will have been a big positive.

If bowles thinks he has done a good job coaching and if Mac does not shed a lot of trash then there was nothing positive from this year.

Very nice post+

Archived