Looking at Macc's 2 drafts.

UnitedWhofans

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Honestly, I would rather have the better all around player and that is Williams. More tackles and half the number of sacks Beasley had this year.

You can defeat edge rushers by running at them

I am not complaining about Leo. It is just that the GM did not make the appropriate moves to have Leo fit well on the team. His roster management is a huge F. 

I do not agree with your assessment either.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This league is about impact players - you have to find them.  He found one potential in Williams.  I don't see another on the entire roster.  Gets a C for drafting Williams, otherwise I'm unimpressed.

Sorry, but this league more than another other sport is about the team. One superstar won't do anything if he is surrounded by scrubs. Let's see Revis was the Revis of old; if the rest of the team/D sucks, the other team will just throw to the other side or run the ball down your throat. Do you think Von Miller would be a stud on a team of nothings? No they would mostly double/triple team him and run to the other side. Luck and the colts; etc.

When you have the holes that the Jets did/do, you build slowly through the draft and you don't give up the store or reach for a player.

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

I am not complaining about Leo. It is just that the GM did not make the appropriate moves to have Leo fit well on the team. His roster management is a huge F. 

I do not agree with your assessment either.

Well now, Richardson is going to be traded so that issue goes away

10 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

This. The Jets have no QB and no speedy edge rusher in two drafts. Vic Beasly. Dak Prescott. Both could have been had

Hindsight is 20/20 on Dak - also, everyone uses him; I wonder how good he would look behind the Jets OL; how many wins would he have if he always had to come from behind.

Everyone had Leo as the best pick of the draft. And, the Redskins that reached for a G over him is probably regretting it.

As far as QB; we were not high enough to draft one; no one they wanted was available. Let's just shoot him.

No, the issue got worse. We're gonna trade one of the 2 first round picks we've hit on in our last 5 drafts because we chose to keep Wilkerson and let go of Snacks.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree to an extent. Name an impact player on the Cheaters D and see if he was drafted high or not.

Having said that, I think you must find an impact player with a top ten pick.

It's tough to look at that team - As they have the ultimate impact player in the best QB of all time.   And the HC is basically an impact player on defense.

With that said, I get you have to fill roles with lesser draft picks, but look around the league and see what teams are winning super bowls  It's mostly because of a handful of impact guy.  Last year, does Denver win the Super Bowl without Miller? Do the Pats without Brady? Does Seattle without Sherman and Lynch?

There's so much parity - that your "best" players need to be able to take over games.   

Top 5 LB? Sean Lee, Luke Keuchly, Von Miller, Justin Houston, Clay Matthews, etc.

top 5 inside linebacker yes. This isn't up for a debate. 

Miller, Houston, etc. are OLB's and play different positions. Good God you're clueless.

That may not happen. SR will be playing for a contract next season. He will play hard for that money.. Why would the Jets give him away? He is a football player not a choir boy. The Jets need football players. The guy to move was Mo. He is older than both Leo and SR. Plus we may have kept Snacks.

Again, roster management is a huge F

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It's tough to look at that team - As they have the ultimate impact player in the best QB of all time.   And the HC is basically an impact player on defense.

With that said, I get you have to fill roles with lesser draft picks, but look around the league and see what teams are winning super bowls  It's mostly because of a handful of impact guy.  Last year, does Denver win the Super Bowl without Miller? Do the Pats without Brady? Does Seattle without Sherman and Lynch?

There's so much parity - that your "best" players need to be able to take over games.   

I do agree with that. And I think that with this top ten pick, he needs to hit an impact player. You mentioned Von Miller, he was the second overall pick. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sorry, but this league more than another other sport is about the team. One superstar won't do anything if he is surrounded by scrubs. Let's see Revis was the Revis of old; if the rest of the team/D sucks, the other team will just throw to the other side or run the ball down your throat. Do you think Von Miller would be a stud on a team of nothings? No they would mostly double/triple team him and run to the other side. Luck and the colts; etc.

When you have the holes that the Jets did/do, you build slowly through the draft and you don't give up the store or reach for a player.

Yes, you need fillers and have to build a team - but role players are much easier to find.  You can NOT win a Super Bowl without game changing, impact players.  Funny you bring up both Revis and Miller.

Do the Jets go to back-to-back championship games without Revis? Does Denver beat the Panthers and Pats last year without Von Miller?

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He has tried to address QB and I have no issue at all with the petty pick,.  The big and I mean BIG disagreement comes when you call Hackenburg having elite potential.  We are looking at elite potential coming from college to pro not high school to college.

Semantics really.

Could Hack one day be a top 5 QB? My answer is yes- so that's elite potential.

He's got the attributes; height, cannon arm, smarts, work ethic, pro style experience, leadership traits, good with the media, used to the spotlight, dimples...

you can see how it could happen; the metaphorical  ball of clay. That's all I'm saying.  He's got some significant warts and may suck, but to get the chance at greatness with the 51st pick is a worthy gamble.

Again it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft and not every player has to be a star. And players cut who end up with other teams count too. It takes time for some players to improve or get a chance to play and often not with the original team. Plus average careers are about 3 years. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Yes, you need fillers and have to build a team - but role players are much easier to find.  You can NOT win a Super Bowl without game changing, impact players.  Funny you bring up both Revis and Miller.

Do the Jets go to back-to-back championship games without Revis? Does Denver beat the Panthers and Pats last year without Von Miller?

Having a great DL in a 3-4 defense and no OLB's is like having a mustang with a V-2 engine. Just another reason why the Wilkerson signing/Leo pick made 0 sense.

This is from June, and he just had his best season of his career. He's top 5. If you wanna argue with one website having him at 8, which is still an impact player, please don't even respond to me. I'm trying to restrain myself from going off on your ignorance.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

This season was sheer failure in every aspect of  the game on and off the field. 

I agree this season sucked, but it doesn't mean Mac is doing a bad job. It takes time to add talent through the draft. Players take time to mature.  I happen to think there are some players taken that are going to turn into pretty good football players.

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Semantics really.

Could Hack one day be a top 5 QB? My answer is yes- so that's elite potential.

He's got the attributes; height, cannon arm, smarts, work ethic, pro style experience, leadership traits, good with the media, used to the spotlight, dimples...

you can see how it could happen; the metaphorical  ball of clay. That's all I'm saying.  He's got some significant warts and may suck, but to get the chance at greatness with the 51st pick is a worthy gamble.

He drafted him into a position of failure. I get on board with Hack if we had a guy like Eli at the helm. Now what are we gonna do? Sign Brian f*cking Hoyer? 

Just now, Mecca said:

This is from June, and he just had his best season of his career. He's top 5. If you wanna argue with one website having him at 8, which is still an impact player, please don't even respond to me. I'm trying to restrain myself from going off on your ignorance.

65 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 pass deflections.

The impact must be in calling the defense because those are meh stats. David Harris had more tackles and the same amount of pass deflections

65 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 2 pass deflections.

The impact must be in calling the defense because those are meh stats. David Harris had more tackles and the same amount of pass deflections

Please stop responding to me. You're showing how clueless you are. Hightower is an elite ILB. Stats are overrated at the ILB position. And he missed 3/4 games this year with those stats.

Mac had to take a swing at a QB.  A bigger mistake would have been not drafting one at all.  At least he swung the bat, lets see how it works out.

The choice was Lynch, Hack, Brisett, Kessler, Cook, Prescott, Cardale Jones, and 6 others that were drafted who we have never heard of since.   How do you find a gem in that group without hindsight?

Just now, dcJet said:

Mac had to take a swing at a QB.  A bigger mistake would have been not drafting one at all.  At least he swung the bat, lets see how it works out.

The choice was Lynch, Hack, Brisett, Kessler, Cook, Prescott, Cardale Jones, and 6 others that were drafted who we have never heard of since.   How do you find a gem in that group without hindsight?

Wait a minute so your saying Macc took a swing with the Hack pick and the Fitzpatrick signing. 

We need a GM who makes better decisions. 

2017 NFL season we still need a QB

What we really have here is a high quality football GM

And a number of know nothings who think they are experts and who know AFTER THE DRAFT that our GM shudda wudda cudda taken a different player who NOBODY in football had rated higher than the player taken.

"He whiffed on Leonard Williams, shudda wudda cudda taken Beasley. Fire the bum...

It's like a horde of Joe Benignos

Nauseating

Good post. 

His 2 drafts haven't been great, but haven't been bad either. A player like Devin Smith staying healthy and stepping up would be huge. Some of these guys still have potential to perform well for the Jets. I was really hoping Mauldin would develop more as a pass rusher. He's not going to be a 3 down player. I'd have him cut weight and just utilize him as a speed rusher.

This is obviously a big draft coming up for Maac. We have to hit with the 6th player. We need another Williams pick and can't afford a Gholston.

7 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

What we really have here is a high quality football GM

And a number of know nothings who think they are experts and who know AFTER THE DRAFT that our GM shudda wudda cudda taken a different player who NOBODY in football had rated higher than the player taken.

"He whiffed on Leonard Williams, shudda wudda cudda taken Beasley. Fire the bum...

It's like a horde of Joe Benignos

Nauseating

yes one player from two drafts that is probably a very good player in williams-the rest pretty much suck-a five year old could have made the williams pick-

6 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Good post. 

His 2 drafts haven't been great, but haven't been bad either. A player like Devin Smith staying healthy and stepping up would be huge. Some of these guys still have potential to perform well for the Jets. I was really hoping Mauldin would develop more as a pass rusher. He's not going to be a 3 down player. I'd have him cut weight and just utilize him as a speed rusher.

This is obviously a big draft coming up for Maac. We have to hit with the 6th player. We need another Williams pick and can't afford a Gholston.

stephen hill says hi so does johnny lam jones but lets wait for them to develop

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

stephen hill says hi so does johnny lam jones but lets wait for them to develop

So what? Maac didn't draft either of them. They mean nothing. Quincy Enunwa, Robbie Anderson, Keyshawn Johnson, Laverneus Coles, Wayne Chrebet, and Santana Moss say hi also. None of them have anything to do with Smith.

Giving up on Smith after two injury plagued seasons makes no sense. You give him a chance next year in training camp to stay healthy and carve out a role for himself. 

I can't get why so many are quick to grade him an F. Heck not all picks need to become stars at their position. Rather they need to be good enough to be sound, solid and effective starters. If you look at the LB Corps as an example, the guy seems to have found 3 future starters  (Lee, Jenkins and Mauldin). He also did the same with the receiving Corps as well. My guess is that he focuses this year's draft on O linemen and secondary talent.

As for having the stones for picking Hackenberg at 2, well you gotta grade that one as incomplete. All you guys criticizing him for drafting him would probably be the first ones raking Mac over the coals should some other team had drafted him and for some miracle becomes a good QB. You draft QB prospects until you nail one.

I would say he gets a F
he had one quality player come out in Williams who was not the best pick for the talent he had on the team but for arguments sake anybody could have made that pick
jet fans love to over hype bad talent and then wonder why the team is so bad
of all of the guys you listed maybe two guys would be starters on other teams and that might be being generous

Williams would be a starter on any team, Jenkins would be a starter on most teams, shell and peake could be starters for a few. Lee had flashes if another team had drafted him he would be starting for them too. Hack petty burris and devin smith would all find rosters in a heartbeat if we cut them. These drafts have not been 100 percent perfect but they have been pretty decent.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived