Early January Jets 4 round draft

Tinstar

1~6 - Dalvin Cook - RB - FSU _  IMO, the best way to help a young QB is to give him a solid Running game

2~7 - Charles Harris - Edge - Mizzu  _  Yet another attempt to acquire that Edge rusher

3~6 - Chad Wheeler - LT - USC _  what can I say, I like the kid . Long arms, excellent footwork. (Medical and off the field concerns)

4~Comp -  Jon Toth - C/G - UK _  who's going to backup at venter after we cut Mangold .

Optional :

1~6 - Mitch Trubisky - QB - NC - Elite arm strength, touch, accuracy but needs to work on footwork and taking snaps from under center . Probably won't be ready before mid season

2~7 - same as above

3~6 - Same as above

4 ~comp - Tre White - CB- LSU  - you can never have enough corners .      

51 minutes ago, Stark said:

Is it just me, but I feel like Trubisky is like a poor mans.... well just not that impressed with him

i am on the Cook bandwagon. I also like wheeler.  Good go at it Tin

Appreciate those kind words . I'm actually secretly hoping that Cleveland takes Trubisky and Chicago takes Kizer leaving the Jets with no choice but to take Cook  . I don't see any way Myles Garrett gets to 6, so that leaves 3  spots . I figure some team is going to prefer Fournette over Cook, so that leaves 2 It will come down to Cook and the Bama defensive end, and we can't do that again can we ?

We need a difference maker with this pick, and even thou I don't consider RB a premium position , Cook is a difference maker IMO.

He's my choice .

Now all I want is for the NFL to lose their mind and allow Ryan Ramczyk to make it to our 2nd round pick because of hip surgery .

I'm all into cutting Mangold, Harris , Revis , Clady, Giacomini  and Gilchrist . I have a plan for moving Jordan Jenkins inside alongside Lee and moving Charles Harris into the spot occupied by Jenkins . I'm for moving on from Mclendon also .

I really GET why we would want Cook.  But here is my concern:

Ezekiel Elliot/Todd Gurley/Melvin Gordon/Trent Richardson (ONCE IN A GENERATION)

Doug Martin/David Wilson/Mark Ingram/C.J. Spiller

Ryan Mathews/Jahvid Best/Knowshown Moreno/Donald Brown

Beanie Wells/Darren McFadden (ONCE IN A GENERATION)

Jonathan Stewart/Felix Jones/Rashard Mendenhaal/Chris Johnson

Adrien Peterson/Marshawn Lynch/Lawrence Maroney/Reggie Bush (ONCE IN A GENERATION)

These are all the RB's in the first round since 2006.  22 picks, three supposed "Once in a generation" type player, all three of which did jack to live up to that accolade.  Maybe things are changing; Last three RB's taken in round 1 have been good.  It is just a swing for the fences that I would hope hits a home run. 

I have to say though, there is about 7 of those players I would be THRILLED to have had on the Jets, so who knows.....

OK, then Improve this offense : From the draft ; I will follow this with one for the defense :

WR Brandon Marshal l Charone Peake    
TE Brandon Bostick Austin Seferian-Jenkins Eric Tomlinson  
LT Ben Ijalana Donald Hawkins    
LG James Carpenter Craig Watts    
C Wesley Johnson Dakota Dozier    
RG Brent Qvale Dakota Dozier    
RT Brandon Shell Donald Hawkins    
WR Robby Anderson Devin Smith    
WR Quincy Enunwa Jalin Marshall    
QB Bryce Petty Christian Hackenberg    
RB Matt Forté Bilal Powell Khiry Robinson  Brandon Wilds

I keep hearing the old Dallas rationla as a reason not to take a RB as in oh they have a great oline thus that makes elliot look great and the fact that the jets need oline help.

Dallas with their all world oline won 4 games last year.  They had no QB and no RB.  Now they can run block again all of a sudden.

The NY jets with an injured and jaggy oline Bilal Powel ran for 145, 84, 66 and 122 in his last 4 games. 

A good back can be a weapon.

On January 6, 2017 at 5:06 PM, Tinstar said:

1~6 - Dalvin Cook - RB - FSU _  IMO, the best way to help a young QB is to give him a solid Running game

2~7 - Charles Harris - Edge - Mizzu  _  Yet another attempt to acquire that Edge rusher

3~6 - Chad Wheeler - LT - USC _  what can I say, I like the kid . Long arms, excellent footwork. (Medical and off the field concerns)

4~Comp -  Jon Toth - C/G - UK _  who's going to backup at venter after we cut Mangold .

Optional :

1~6 - Mitch Trubisky - QB - NC - Elite arm strength, touch, accuracy but needs to work on footwork and taking snaps from under center . Probably won't be ready before mid season

2~7 - same as above

3~6 - Same as above

4 ~comp - Tre White - CB- LSU  - you can never have enough corners .      

Switch to 4-3?

On 1/9/2017 at 11:47 AM, Beerfish said:

I keep hearing the old Dallas rationla as a reason not to take a RB as in oh they have a great oline thus that makes elliot look great and the fact that the jets need oline help.

Dallas with their all world oline won 4 games last year.  They had no QB and no RB.  Now they can run block again all of a sudden.

The NY jets with an injured and jaggy oline Bilal Powel ran for 145, 84, 66 and 122 in his last 4 games. 

A good back can be a weapon.

You realize dallas was 9th in rushing that year with joseph randle and darren mcfadden. zeke is a good player but their line is still doing the heavy lifting

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, JiF said:

Hell no.  Hell NO!!!  No RB's at #6. The Jets arent the Cowboys.  And no to Trubisky all around.  

Then who would you suggest at 6 if we can't trade down that would improve the offense since I'm pretty sure you don't want to pick another defensive player again  ?

On January 7, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Tinstar said:

I would love to trade both Richardson and Pryor and add 2 more picks to our 2017 draft . Trading Brandon Marshall to the Eagles is on the table also if they're interested .

Jets should put Marshall, Decker & Pryor on the market for picks and take Mike Williams. Jets need a youth movement & this draft is deep in safeties & corners. If Macc signs Bouye & targets a safety in the 2nd round I'd be one happy Jet fan. Middleton might turn out to be a player, I like what I've seen from Burris, Johnson, Shell.

The young WRs came on strong & while other Jet fans have given up on Devin Smith, I still think it's too early & Smith is coming back from a very serious injury & needs another full camp.

I believe the young LBs, Jenkins & Lee will be much better and play faster in their 2nd year. Mo was trashed by the media & Jet fans. Let's hope with a full offseason & a complete camp he comes back stronger & ready to prove he's a top NFL lineman.

i truly believe that it will be getting rid of the veterans will be addition by subtraction. It might take time but as long as we start seeing some IMPROVEMENT as the year progresses that should be the goal of this regime. Build towards a Super Bowl with more homegrown talent than free agents. Band Aiding this team over & over for 9-7 is not the direction to go while Brady moves into his 40s. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Then who would you suggest at 6 if we can't trade down that would improve the offense since I'm pretty sure you don't want to pick another defensive player again  ?

I'd prefer a QB since we dont have one.  I'd be perfectly fine with an edge rusher or CB.  I know its defense and nobody wants that to be the pick but it is what is.

Mike Williams makes some sense to me.

I'd prefer OL help but I dont see anyone jumping out that they can get at 6.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'd prefer a QB since we dont have one.  I'd be perfectly fine with an edge rusher or CB.  I know its defense and nobody wants that to be the pick but it is what is.

Mike Williams makes some sense to me.

I'd prefer OL help but I dont see anyone jumping out that they can get at 6.

You have to pick a name, someone you would take if he was there . Not Garrett, because we all figure he won't be there . It's early in the process, so you can reserve the right to change your mind, but give me someone at 6 with no trade down possible  .

As of today, my choice is Trubisky who probably won't be there or Dalvin Cook who would be a star at RB, something we haven't had around here since Freeman Mcneil .

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

You realize dallas was 9th in rushing that year with joseph randle and darren mcfadden. zeke is a good player but their line is still doing the heavy lifting

This.  It's all about that OL.  Some of those holes he runs through are ridiculous. 

The Jets were 12th in the league with broken down Forte and Powell.  Powell is someone they should be bringing back and I'd compliment him with a home run hitter.  Someone like Alvin Kamara in the 2nd or if they would prefer a bruiser, I'd look at Foreman from Texas.  Or Joe Mixon - lol. :)

And if you look at the top 10 RB's from a yards perspective, Zeke is the only 1st round pick.

Jordan Howard - 5th round

Demarco Murray - 3rd round

Jay Ajayi - 5th round

L. Bell - 2nd round

L. McCoy - 2nd

David Johnson - 3rd

L. Blount - UDFA

D. Freeman - 4th

L. Miller - 4th.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

You have to pick a name, someone you would take if he was there . Not Garrett, because we all figure he won't be there . It's early in the process, so you can reserve the right to change your mind, but give me someone at 6 with no trade down possible  .

As of today, my choice is Trubisky who probably won't be there or Dalvin Cook who would be a star at RB, something we haven't had around here since Freeman Mcneil .

I dont have to do anything. ;-)  What I can do is tell you I wouldnt take a RB at #6 overall.  I just posted the top 10 RB's and only 1 was a 1st round pick.  It's not a premium position and it would very Jets like to spend the #6 overall pick on a RB, kind of like taking a shrimpy ILB in the 1st round.  And I love Dalvin Cook as a prospect more than Fournette and I still would pass. 

It's way early but If I have my choice of player in this draft it's Watson because we need a QB or nothing else matters and I've been screaming for him since last season.

As much as people look at Zeke and debate whether its him of the OL (its the OL btw), everyone seems to forget that Prescott has a huge impact on that as well.  

Teams dont get better, they get better QB play.  That's the NFL.  And the Jets had the worst QB play in the NFL with nobody on the roster ready to be the guy.

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

And the Bills lead the league in rushing as well this year.  No QB and No RB and that team won 4 games.  Get a good Qb and RB and they are where they are most of the rest of that team is the same.  Hey the better the oline the better it is for your team but guys like Elliot and Bell make a ton of plays when there is nothing there.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont have to do anything. ;-)  What I can do is tell you I wouldnt take a RB at #6 overall.  I just posted the top 10 RB's and only 1 was a 1st round pick.  It's not a premium position and it would very Jets like to spend the #6 overall pick on a RB, kind of like taking a shrimpy ILB in the 1st round.  And I love Dalvin Cook as a prospect more than Fournette and I still would pass. 

It's way early but If I have my choice of player in this draft it's Watson because we need a QB or nothing else matters and I've been screaming for him since last season.

As much as people look at Zeke and debate whether its him of the OL (its the OL btw), everyone seems to forget that Prescott has a huge impact on that as well.  

Teams dont get better, they get better QB play.  That's the NFL.  And the Jets had the worst QB play in the NFL with nobody on the roster ready to be the guy.

I can deal with Watson at 6 . The choice IMO has to be on offense and it's going to come down to a QB or a RB .

By the way, I don't want to take a RB at 6 either . I really like Wayne Gallman in the 3rd .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I can deal with Watson at 6 . The choice IMO has to be on offense and it's going to come down to a QB or a RB .

By the way, I don't want to take a RB at 6 either . I really like Wayne Gallman in the 3rd .

There are at least 8 RB's that I think can be studs in the NFL in this draft which is the reason why I would wait.  

If I'm the Jets, I'd take one of the QB's at 6 and target OJ Howard in the 2nd with a RB on the radar in the 3rd or 4th. The 3rd round could get really interesting...there will be some very intriguing players still around. 

59 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are at least 8 RB's that I think can be studs in the NFL in this draft which is the reason why I would wait.  

If I'm the Jets, I'd take one of the QB's at 6 and target OJ Howard in the 2nd with a RB on the radar in the 3rd or 4th. The 3rd round could get really interesting...there will be some very intriguing players still around. 

I dont think OJ Howard gets past the Giants in the first. 

Nobody is trading for Marshall.  He makes too much, is a likely cut and has made noise about retiring.  I thought the buzz was on Philly signing DJax back?  The Jets will certainly be cutting Marshall before Decker, so I'm not sure why I don't see Decker on that offense.  

I'm not sure why a guy reminding someone of Plaxico means he doesn't have the speed to go in the top 10.  Do you mean the ancient Plaxico that played for the Jets?  Burress was linked to the Jets (who had four first rounders) pre-draft, but ended up going eighth, before any of the Jets picks and he was a giant that ran sub-4.5 IIRC.  He was the 2nd WR taken behind Peter Warrick (hahahaha, speaking of guys not fast enough to go in the top 10!)

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, Beerfish said:

After a bit of reading on wheeler i'd be pretty careful but I like the cook pick and like that you took two olineman in the 1st 4 rounds. 

Here's the thing, if it were not for his issues, medical and off the field, he would not be available in the 3rd . Might still not be when it's all said and done .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Here's the thing, if it were not for his issues, medical and off the field, he would not be available in the 3rd . Might still not be when it's all said and done .

Some of that behavior sounds crazy though, as in cuckoo coo coo puffs

5 hours ago, JiF said:

What about the line? Would you be focusing on that in free agency?

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What about the line? Would you be focusing on that in free agency?

Pretty much.  There isnt that stud OL player that is screaming at me in this draft.  Especially not a #6.  I know Cam Robinson gets thrown around a lot but is he special or he just a T from a great program that was highly recruited?  I dont know.  Seems like all he has to do is run block...how is he pass blocking? 

On the flip side, the OL in FA is crazy deep.  Tons of solid names.  

Archived