Talking about Glennon with huge Bucs fans at SB party...

HighPitch

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

God damn some of u guys..... 

We need a qb right?  Asking for a franchise qb is like asking for a rich beautiful gf.  It MIGHT happen, but it probably wont.  A lot of it is luck.... 

U til then you get the best you can.  Glennon is at least different that the old Jags out there that he is at least young and has huge upside.  Hes probably better and more ready to contribute than even drafting Watson.  Hes shown a lot of good stuff and he may be available. 

Strike when the iron is hot dipsh*ts

Petty 3tds 7ints

Glennon 30tds 16ints

/thread

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Villian.....to change the scope of the topic for a minute, let's talk the business side of this for Tampa. We heard that they turned down many overtures from teams for his services, supposedly holding out for at least a two for him. For arguments sake, suppose the best offers they got were a 3/4  rd pick. After Osweiller got his huge deal from Houston,is it possible that Tampa thinks they may get a better comp. pick out of this than they would in a trade?  

Possibly, it's hard to say that the Bucs were wrong in this situation. On one hand they could have traded Glennon for a draft pick (3rd or 4th rounder) and could have added young talent immediately. On the other hand having a quality back up QB is a necessity in this league today, so holding on to Glennon wasnt a bad situation at all, especially when you're going to end up getting a comp pick for him regardless. 

In short, I think that the Bucs thought about the team's success as a whole. If they traded Glennon for a pick and that pick ended up being a solid player but Jameis Winston got hurt in a game then it wouldnt matter what that pick was given that they dont have a QB. They figured that they're eventually going to get a pick for Glennon anyway, and it isnt like Glennon is causing a problem in the lockerroom even though he was given a raw deal. Might as well keep his services for as long as they can and then eventually get a pick in the end anyway instead of running the risk of possibly needing Glennon but not having him. 

Hope that answers your question. 

8 minutes ago, thadude said:

No Tampa was asking for a 1 not a "2 at most"

That is pure speculation.  There were also reports that they would have taken a third.  My personal feeling is that after offering him up for 2nd for a year, the Broncos offered them the last pick in the 2nd and they turned it down thinking they could get a high 2nd out of Cleveland.  

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

He did the same thing vs Pittsburgh in a big upset

That was 2014.  Pittsburgh had a bottom 5 pass D.  Not a huge knock on Glennon, but people hear Steelers and they think Steel Curtain.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Possibly, it's hard to say that the Bucs were wrong in this situation. On one hand they could have traded Glennon for a draft pick (3rd or 4th rounder) and could have added young talent immediately. On the other hand having a quality back up QB is a necessity in this league today, so holding on to Glennon wasnt a bad situation at all, especially when you're going to end up getting a comp pick for him regardless. 

In short, I think that the Bucs thought about the team's success as a whole. If they traded Glennon for a pick and that pick ended up being a solid player but Jameis Winston got hurt in a game then it wouldnt matter what that pick was given that they dont have a QB. They figured that they're eventually going to get a pick for Glennon anyway, and it isnt like Glennon is causing a problem in the lockerroom even though he was given a raw deal. Might as well keep his services for as long as they can and then eventually get a pick in the end anyway instead of running the risk of possibly needing Glennon but not having him. 

Hope that answers your question. 

Good answer, thanks.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It a rewrite of history by Fitzoids.  One by one they've either denied the undying devotion they displayed in the offseason or downplayed the level of love they had.  

You see they're never wrong.  Only those of who disagreed with them, knew what we were getting into were wrong.  

A year ago Fitz deserved al least 12-14 mil.  Would have signed him for 14+.  Now they were against it.  You've got to laugh

I can clearly see that now. 

In fact the quote I used in my post was from a poster to whom you were responding to and you were telling him he was nuts for wanting to pay that kind of monies to Fitzpatrick.  

Jets fans sometimes you can't make it up :)  

17 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets have plenty of cap issues. Even if you cut all of the fat, you still have to replace those players, plus fill in the other holes that this team has. This team is at least two years away from being a contender. Why not see what Petty and Hack have and then re-evaluate the position in 2018? Glennon is a waste of time and money. 

I have to agree with the bolded part. The Jets do have cap issues. They are not permanent cap issues, but only because it is a literal impossibility to have permanent cap issues. For all the easy moves to create enough cap room to still end up well into the bottom half in that area, which BTW they still should do, the Jets will then necessarily create even more holes than they already have.

I'm not saying what Glennon would or wouldn't be, based on performance in his first 1.5 yrs in the league (which itself don't seem so comparatively horrible). That doesn't mean he's therefore worth a try, or worth what he'll get in a league desperate for dice-rolling, QB-starved teams. But I don't know that it's a foregone conclusion that his career is destined to be forgettable. He could be a great pickup, and he could be an Osweiller II pickup. 

I'd also add in that just because fans want to see "what Petty and Hack have" and see them both as clean slates, doesn't also mean the team hasn't seen what they are (or aren't), and based on what they've seen they aren't willing to all bet their careers on the unlikely. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is pure speculation.  There were also reports that they would have taken a third.  My personal feeling is that after offering him up for 2nd for a year, the Broncos offered them the last pick in the 2nd and they turned it down thinking they could get a high 2nd out of Cleveland.  

That was 2014.  Pittsburgh had a bottom 5 pass D.  Not a huge knock on Glennon, but people hear Steelers and they think Steel Curtain.

Not exactly speculation when everyone including the bucs themselves said so

23 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Honestly? That's all I need. 

No one who took that position should be taken seriously when talking about what Mike Glennon could be/not be for the Jets...period. 

That position was sad to take. 

So then Macc and Bowles shouldn't be taken seriously then? Because they're the ones who invested 2016 into him. Quit living in the past. Move forward. 

13 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

God damn some of u guys..... 

We need a qb right?  Asking for a franchise qb is like asking for a rich beautiful gf.  It MIGHT happen, but it probably wont.  A lot of it is luck.... 

U til then you get the best you can.  Glennon is at least different that the old Jags out there that he is at least young and has huge upside.  Hes probably better and more ready to contribute than even drafting Watson.  Hes shown a lot of good stuff and he may be available. 

Strike when the iron is hot dipsh*ts

If we followed your advice, Glennon wouldn't be on the list.

If we want to "get the best we can" then we should trade or sign a short-term Veteran like Romo or Cutler, both of whom are strictly speaking better than Glennon.

If we want to "get the best we can" as a developmental QB for the long term, we should draft a QB as high as possible in the coming draft, because those top-ranked QB prospects have higher upside and come far cheaper than Glennon.

Under no definition is Glennon "the best we can get".  He may be a reasonable choice for (almost assuredly) an unreasonable price for his resume-to-date, but he is neither the best QB available, nor the best prospect available, so you may want to rethink your using "get the best we can" as an argument for a QB who so clearly isn't the best we can get.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

So then Macc and Bowles shouldn't be taken seriously then? Because they're the ones who invested 2016 into him. Quit living in the past. Move forward. 

If Macc and Bowles decide that Glennon isnt a viable option over Petty/Hackenberg then they shouldnt be taken seriously. However, im not talking about their decision, im talking about your unwavering support of their decision and what that means to me when I see how you talk about a guy such as Glennon who you say "will never get the Jets to the Playoffs or a SB". 

I can only take your statements with a grain of salt given what you've supported. 

You wont be "suppressing" my opinion just because I disagree with you lol. 

Lets be serious... the chances of signing or drafting a "franchise qb" are very low.  There are only a handful of these guys playing in the league and a few others that potentially can be one.  Hopefully we can find a "good" QB that can be a place marker for the future QB that we crave like the coming of the messiah.  .  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They said they wanted a first?  Big shock. I'm sure the Jets wanted a first for Geno.  That doesn't mean they would have turned down a 2nd.  Even if they said so.  

That's what I was saying in my post awhile back. I think that when Tampa saw what Denver got for Osweiller, they knew they couldn't do worse for Glennon if they let him go FA. They would hold out for a 2, or maybe a multiple pick scenario, or just keep him as insurance for Winston. Point being, Osweiller may have changed their philosophy on Glennon.

18 hours ago, Stark said:

i never mentioned Hoyer.

No, at the end of the day I am saying sign players at other positions, build up the team and let this season be what it is....

Light is kind of dim over there, huh

I doubt the FO will be in the mind set to "let the season be what it is". Regardless of what we want the FO is going to try to win as many games as possible and they will bring in whoever they think can do that. They are not thinking about tanking for a #1 overall draft pick next year. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If Macc and Bowles decide that Glennon isnt a viable option over Petty/Hackenberg then they shouldnt be taken seriously. However, im not talking about their decision, im talking about your unwavering support of their decision and what that means to me when I see how you talk about a guy such as Glennon who you say "will never get the Jets to the Playoffs or a SB". 

I can only take your statements with a grain of salt given what you've supported. 

You wont be "suppressing" my opinion just because I disagree with you lol. 

3pSgb6V.gif

12 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

No.... sorry....you are wrong....

Indeed some wanted to pay Fitz market rate they said he "earned" it...

I am not going to waste time pulling up those threads or trying to embarrass anyone.

Here is a direct quote of one poster (whom I like, so I'm not trying to call them out by putting their name here)

"We don't really know what those exact salary figures are..... Get a player if possible even for one season so you can win and worry about the following season that year. But in terms of overpaying Fitz. I agree no ridiculous salary but in the low teens to me is market and we should pay it. "

So I'm not making up anything, rather I read posts and respond accordingly and try my best not to randomly insult others

One example doesn't make it any less of an exaggerated statement.

40 minutes ago, JETdawg1389 said:

Please do make some more -Evans & the Browns

Feel like if he really was as good as he is being made out, he would have been traded the minute Jameis hit down, especially given how many teams are short a quality starter.

Definetely will be an upgrade on Fitz though + hes young so still time for him to develop

What I will be doing is making a set of GIF's representing each game Glennon has played in. Highlights/lowlights/good plays that set up positive results/bad plays that put Glennon behind the 8ball. 

I will try to do 1 game per day. I will start with his first pro game against the Cardinals. I'll start a new thread and will be putting everything there. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What I will be doing is making a set of GIF's representing each game Glennon has played in. Highlights/lowlights/good plays that set up positive results/bad plays that put Glennon behind the 8ball. 

I will try to do 1 game per day. I will start with his first pro game against the Cardinals. I'll start a new thread and will be putting everything there. 

Look forward to it

You're not his agent by any chance are you!?

33 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yea so petty and glennon, about the same age have polar opposite stats.  Petty threw 2.5 ints per td

Glennon threw 0.5 ints per td

This board is nuts really

Back in the day on JI "Rat/Clemens/Ainge" was all the rage and before that Brooks Bollinger was the next Mark Brunell

30% of jets fans always think the next big thing at qb is at the end of our bench holding a clipboard or in Hack's case wearing pajamas

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If we followed your advice, Glennon wouldn't be on the list.

If we want to "get the best we can" then we should trade or sign a short-term Veteran like Romo or Cutler, both of whom are strictly speaking better than Glennon.

If we want to "get the best we can" as a developmental QB for the long term, we should draft a QB as high as possible in the coming draft, because those top-ranked QB prospects have higher upside and come far cheaper than Glennon.

Under no definition is Glennon "the best we can get".  He may be a reasonable choice for (almost assuredly) an unreasonable price for his resume-to-date, but he is neither the best QB available, nor the best prospect available, so you may want to rethink your using "get the best we can" as an argument for a QB who so clearly isn't the best we can get.

Romo is old as dirt and always injured.. 

Cutler has a long body of work and its not very good.. 

Glennon may be very good or a bust but every indication says hed be a solid average starting qb.  Hes in his prime. Oooooh i see the issue for some: solid starter is no good.  

We need a franchise qb.  Good luck

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Romo is old as dirt and always injured.. 

Cutler has a long body of work and its not very good.. 

Glennon may be very good or a bust but every indication says hed be a solid average starting qb.  Hes in his prime. Oooooh i see the issue for some: solid starter is no good.  

We need a franchise qb.  Good luck

This is where we all disagree.  You and Villian think that he is a solid starting QB or better.  I certainly don't agree that every indication says that.  I understand why you guys think that, but I think there is a very good chance that he will suck.  He has not really been put in a position where there is pressure on him to perform.  He put up some yards and TDs when teams were up against him and played well enough to lose.  There were plenty of games where he absolutely sucked in the first half.  You know, before teams went into the prevent.  That was why they went back to McCown in 2014. 

53 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I doubt the FO will be in the mind set to "let the season be what it is". Regardless of what we want the FO is going to try to win as many games as possible and they will bring in whoever they think can do that. They are not thinking about tanking for a #1 overall draft pick next year. 

Right, I never said that we shouldn't try to win games. My point was let the QB's battle it out and actually see how they perform in games to get a true evaluation.  I'd be happy if somehow Petty or Hack had an "ah ha" moment and became a starting QB. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is where we all disagree.  You and Villian think that he is a solid starting QB or better.  I certainly don't agree that every indication says that.  I understand why you guys think that, but I think there is a very good chance that he will suck.  He has not really been put in a position where there is pressure on him to perform.  He put up some yards and TDs when teams were up against him and played well enough to lose.  There were plenty of games where he absolutely sucked in the first half.  You know, before teams went into the prevent.  That was why they went back to McCown in 2014. 

Thats fine.  Were all speculating. However,  the tape we do have of him indicates,  imo,  a promising rookie showing.  Not sure how you can pick in apart.  The bottom line is 19tds 9 ints on a bad team as a roomie starting 13 games. 

How much better are you expecting? From any rookie? 

His numbers are as good as or better than most franchise qbs in their rookie years.  Trying to be as objective as possible

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

Right, I never said that we shouldn't try to win games. My point was let the QB's battle it out and actually see how they perform in games to get a true evaluation.  I'd be happy if somehow Petty or Hack had an "ah ha" moment and became a starting QB. 

You and me both. I don't care where he comes from I just want us to find a viable starter, hopefully a franchise guy. A concern is Mac and Bowles cant afford another season like last year so they will do anything they can do save their ass, hopefully they make the right decision. Whatever that may be.

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Thats fine.  Were all speculating. However,  the tape we do have of him indicates,  imo,  a promising rookie showing.  Not sure how you can pick in apart.  The bottom line is 19tds 9 ints on a bad team as a roomie starting 13 games. 

How much better are you expecting? From any rookie? 

His numbers are as good as or better than most franchise qbs in their rookie years.  Trying to be as objective as possible

I am tired of beating this dead horse.  He takes a ton of sacks.  His TD:INT ratio is good, but he absolutely blew earlier in games.  Villian and Air Force watched every snap?  Let them come at me about the first half of his games in 2014.  When he wasn't a rookie.  In the first half of his last 3 games he threw 4 INTs to 1 TD and scored 10 points - all against the Browns. Lovie Smith is an idiot, but if the kid were playing well he would have been playing.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am tired of beating this dead horse.  He takes a ton of sacks.  His TD:INT ratio is good, but he absolutely blew earlier in games.  Villian and Air Force watched every snap?  Let them come at me about the first half of his games in 2014.  When he wasn't a rookie.  In the first half of his last 3 games he threw 4 INTs to 1 TD and scored 10 points - all against the Browns. Lovie Smith is an idiot, but if the kid were playing well he would have been playing.

Youre like a guy that doesnt like ass play,  but insists on getting on all fours and sticks bis ass out nice and high. 

If you dont wanna talk glennon then dont click! 

Archived