51st overall selection cut

David Harris

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000796774/article/transactions-roundup-chicago-bears-cut-ego-ferguson

holy ****- a 51st overall pick didn't work out for a team 

what an investment gone to waste- the 51st player taken.  Malcom Kelly was also the 51st overall pick. Those are super valuable. You can't try to change a franchise around with a pick that valuable. The talent at that pick is hard to mess up. 

On 4/1/2017 at 2:07 AM, David Harris said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000796774/article/transactions-roundup-chicago-bears-cut-ego-ferguson

what an investment gone to waste- the 51st player taken.  Malcom Kelly was also the 51st overall pick. Those are super valuable. You can't try to change a franchise around with a pick that valuable. The talent at that pick is hard to mess up. 

I don't understand the point of this post.  Can you explain? 

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

He doesn't like wasted 51st picks apparently...I know there are a lot of 1st round busts but the 51st overall is very hard to mess up and just excruciatingly painful.

I mean think of the children. Does no one care about the children? 

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

He doesn't like wasted 51st picks apparently...I know there are a lot of 1st round busts but the 51st overall is very hard to mess up and just excruciatingly painful.

I mean think of the children. Does no one care about the children? 

Looks like the guy played all 16 games as a rookie and was then derailed by injuries.   

Unless he had a history of shoulder problems in college it's tough to really fault the GM for injuries.  

5 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Christian Hackenberg was the 51st pick of the 2016 NFL draft.  

The opportunity cost of not drafting him is guys like Ego Fergsuon and Malcol Kelly (also 51st picks).

why is anyone upset about taking a guy at 51 who could turn the entire franchise around when the alternative is drafting ego feeguson's. 

is ego ferguson's ex team going on and on about how their gm should be tatt d and feathered for taking him? 

On 4/1/2017 at 2:07 AM, David Harris said:

vlad ducasse, justin miller, kellen clemons, geno smith, stephen hill, jace amaro, devon smith, all say hi.  story of the jets over the past 15 seasons.

Amaro we drafted at pick 49 and I honestly don't think we gave that kid a chance to develop. I didn't love the pick when he was drafted but after his injury and the coaching change we just kinda kicked him to the curb.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

vlad ducasse, justin miller, kellen clemons, geno smith, stephen hill, jace amaro, devon smith, all say hi.  story of the jets over the past 15 seasons.

Exactly......   NOt all ships are sunk by an iceberg.   Many are  sunk by having unqualified seaman.  

That is the Jets.   Unqualified personnel at many positions.... especially management over the years. 

Look at Tanny.....   the only time he was any way decent was under Mangini.   HE has been a bust everywhere he has been and his lack of ability was hidden by his numbers and legal acumen.

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

It's a justification for the jets making an awful awful pick of a qb who should have been a 6th rounder in the 2nd round.  It's the old theory that if other teams fail and make bad picks it is okay for us to do so as well. 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It's a justification for the jets making an awful awful pick of a qb who should have been a 6th rounder in the 2nd round.  It's the old theory that if other teams fail and make bad picks it is okay for us to do so as well. 

It's so ridiculous that fans assume Hack is a bust when he has yet to take a single NFL snap and has been in the league exactly one season. There is absolutely no reason to assume that. "This bush league psych out stuff. Laughable, man – HA HA!"

19 hours ago, rangerous said:

Kyle Wilson, Vernon Gholston, Dexter McDougle, Dee Milliner, Quinten Coples send their regards as well

Just now, PepPep said:

It's so ridiculous that fans assume Hack is a bust when he has yet to take a single NFL snap and has been in the league exactly one season. There is absolutely no reason to assume that. "This bush league psych out stuff. Laughable, man – HA HA!"

I assume he is going to bust because:

1)  He hasn't taken a single snap in a year where we had a horrible array of QBs and half of them got hurt.

2) He was poor and looked shot his last two years of college.

3) He was endorsed by O'Brien who might be the most overrate worthless QB guru I have ever seen.

4) Other than one td pass and one drive he was ATROCIOUS in pre season games.

5) The team stuck him in the corner and avoided him for a year, the whole red shirt bit was proven to be a tall tale because the team did nothing to develop him this past year.

6)  More than one comment or rumor from insiders that he stinks.

7) He has not come off at all as a guy with any leadership abilities at all so far.  You need to force your way into playing time and act like this is going to be your team sooner or later.

Those are all the reasons I think he is a lousy, poor, long shot prospect.  If we draft a Qb in the 7th round he will be ahead of Hack by the end of camp.

I am happy going out on a limb and saying these things.  Feel free to feed my words back to me if he ever becomes a decent QB.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I assume he is going to bust because:

1)  He hasn't taken a single snap in a year where we had a horrible array of QBs and half of them got hurt.

2) He was poor and looked shot his last two years of college.

3) He was endorsed by O'Brien who might be the most overrate worthless QB guru I have ever seen.

4) Other than one td pass and one drive he was ATROCIOUS in pre season games.

5) The team stuck him in the corner and avoided him for a year, the whole red shirt bit was proven to be a tall tale because the team did nothing to develop him this past year.

6)  More than one comment or rumor from insiders that he stinks.

7) He has not come off at all as a guy with any leadership abilities at all so far.  You need to force your way into playing time and act like this is going to be your team sooner or later.

Those are all the reasons I think he is a lousy, poor, long shot prospect.  If we draft a Qb in the 7th round he will be ahead of Hack by the end of camp.

I am happy going out on a limb and saying these things.  Feel free to feed my words back to me if he ever becomes a decent QB.

I get your concerns. And yes, you would be going out on a limb, just as I would if I was to assume he will be a legitimate NFL starter. Which is fine. Nothing wrong with making that leap. But all of the things you mention can be looked at from a different perspective that makes Hack look like a much better prospect. 

1. At a certain point there is nothing you can do about playing time. It is decided by coaches. Bowles is an old school coach and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he simply decided that 1 is Fitz no matter what. 2 is Geno no matter what 3. is Petty and Hack may or may not get playing time at all as the rookie and 4th QB. I'm sure Macc and Woody wanted to see more of Hack. But they are not the coach. They don't decide who starts what games. It would make sense that despite the injuries, Bowles and even Macc wanted to see more of Petty, who they have already been grooming. So with meaningless games and injuries to Geno/Fitz, Petty got the remaining snaps. We don't know how Hack was developing, as sure, its fair to assume that he was not far along for the coaching staff to raise him on the depth chart. But we don't know that for sure.

2. That is accurate. But he was in a unique situation with new coaching, new system that he clearly did not benefit from, had an awful O-line, not much support from his offense, played well in a Pro System his freshman year, etc. etc, ad nauseum. People will say those are excuses, sure. But its also not fair or accurate to completely disregard this aspect of Hacks college development and analysis of him as an NFL prospect.

3. Overrated or not, an endorsement is an endorsement, not sure how you can turn that into a negative. lol. O'brien is not a complete hack (no pun intended). You can argue he is overrated but there's a reason people value his opinions regarding QBs.

4. I disagree. To me, I saw a lot of good things from his pre-season games. Sure, there was a lot of inconsistency- particularly with his accuracy. He made rookie mistakes. He threw an INT to a D-lineman falling back into coverage- classic rookie mistake. But I saw him 1. make 'all the throws' as they say, some with great accuracy. 2. stand in the pocket, look down the field and deliver the ball- showing good pocket presence. 3. Go through his progressions. Something Fitz forgot how to do and Geno never learned how to do. 4. Come to the line, read the D and make audibles. 5. Maybe most importantly, he did not look 'shell shocked'. Sure, he got sacked a few times. But he had his eyes down the field and stood strong the pocket when under pressure. In general, he looked like a rookie and made rookie mistakes. He needs to work on accuracy, pocket awareness and decision making (learning NFL defenses as well). Like most rookies. But the subtle positives were very encouraging.           

5. Ok, well this statement is just conjecture. To suggest that they were trying to 'avoid him', 'sticking in a corner' whatever that means, is somewhat silly. If that were true they would have just cut him. If you are suggesting they could not cut him b/c they did not want to admit the mistake of drafting him is kind of ridiculous conspiracy theory type of stuff. Bottom lien is Macc knew Hack had a lot of work ahead of him. He would never go out and say that right away- b/c why would you ever do that- assume your 2nd round draft pick could not come in and play well? And as the season rolled along and the Jets stunk, they clearly decide to shelf him- for better or worse. 

6. Rumors are rumors. Anonymous statement have zero validity in my book- at least when it comes to football. It's opinion at best. 

7. He has great leadership abilities and I'm not sure how you can suggest otherwise just b/c he didn't 'force' his way on the field. And when you say 'sooner or later' you are making it seem like he has been on the bench for 3-4 years. We're talking about ONE season, his rookie year. LMAO. Frankly, if he started a hubbub about playing time, many would argue he is a locker room 'cancer' and/or uncoachable, lol. So he tows the company line, listens to the coaches and follows their orders and now he is a bad leader? Talk about damned if you do damned if you don't.    

This year is shaping up to give Hack a great opportunity to start. Even if he doesn't win the starting gig but makes it close and looks good enough to be the backup, beating out Petty, that should  change the perception people have of him. He just needs to show development and improvement IMO. And I predict he will look a lot better than people think, the more playing time he gets.   

Archived