How Jets can parlay Sheldon Richardson into a quarterback

Gas2No99

How Jets can parlay Sheldon Richardson into a quarterback

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

We're only four weeks from the draft, and there's so much to discuss with the New York Jets. Let's not waste any time.

@DickLikeyCuminmi: Yes, Archer, I can absolutely envision something like this happening, assuming they don't take a quarterback with the sixth pick (and I don't think they will). Sheldon Richardson doesn't have the value he once did, but the defensive lineman still could be a useful bargaining chip. Let's explore it, shall we?

The Jets have the seventh pick in the second round (39th overall). They might want to get ahead of the Houston Texans (25th), who could be in the quarterback market, depending on the Tony Romo situation. To acquire the 24th pick from the Oakland Raiders, the Jets would have to deal 740 points to jump 15 spots, based on the trade-value chart's points system.

Their second-round pick has a 510-point value and their third-rounder (70th) has a 240-point value, making it a very close to an even-points swap trade: their second- and third-round picks for the Raiders' first-rounder. The Raiders could throw in a seventh-rounder to balance it.

With so many needs, the Jets are looking to accumulate draft picks, not trade them away. That's where Richardson comes into play. Instead of dealing the third-rounder, the Jets could trade their second-round pick and Richardson for the 24th pick.

Knowing the Jets, who were seeking a first-round pick last fall for Richardson, they'd probably try to hold on to the second-rounder, hoping to package their third-rounder and Richardson for the 24th. That would be a nice deal for the Jets.

Obviously, it depends on how the Raiders value Richardson, who would be an ideal 3-technique in their 4-3 front. He has first-round talent, but he's been suspended twice and he's coming off a down season. The sense around the league is that he might fetch a third- or fourth-round pick in a trade. He'd be a perfect Raider, wouldn't he? They definitely have a need at defensive tackle.

Assuming Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson are gone, the Jets at No. 24 would have a choice between Patrick Mahomes and DeShone Kizer. Mahomes has incredible arm talent and strong leadership qualities, but he can be an undisciplined gunslinger on the field. I've talked to two respected talent evaluators in recent days, and they both gave high marks to Mahomes. Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com reported Friday the Jets have a strong interest in Mahomes.

Bottom line: Yes, Richardson could help the Jets maneuver on draft day, possibly for a quarterback.

It's highly unlikely Richardson fetches a reasonable pick in 2017.... At this stage, teams tend to have a plan and fall in love with their boards. It's not impossible, but it's more likely we'd get a decent pick in 2018 for Richardson, not this year. 

33 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Watson for some safety so we can later trade Richardson to move up for Mahomes would be gloriously Jets.

Anything involving Mahomes in the 1st belongs in Woody's jew thread. 

Since it is just speculation and a scenario with little chance of happening I wouldn't be against it. Depending on who they drafted at 6 would be the issue for me. If they went CB or S at six then I would not see the point. To me, drafting a defensive player at 6 would mean they are drafting from this draft's depth at the need positions. So I would continue that trend throughout the draft and see what shakes out. I would try to deal Richardson for another pick though but that is easier said than done. If they went offense at 6 and drafted a TE or RB there I could see a scenario like that develop but once again trading a player for a pick is easier said than done. I would rather keep the picks and try to accumulate more not trade them away. With the holes on this team all things need to be considered and I would love for the Jets draft to look something like this:

6: R1P6
QB DESHAUN WATSON
CLEMSON
39: R2P7
RB JOE MIXON
OKLAHOMA
70: R3P6
CB ADOREE' JACKSON
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
107: R3P43
S EDDIE JACKSON
ALABAMA
150: R5P6
WR ARTAVIS SCOTT
CLEMSON
191: R6P7
G BEN BRADEN
MICHIGAN
224: R7P6
C JAY GUILLERMO
CLEMSON 

This looks to me to be a good solid draft that equally addresses both sides of the ball and provides a solid foundation to build on. I wavered on the first pick and would be just as happy with Howard in place of Watson. The value is in the third round for me and IF they can deal Richardson for an extra 3rd rounder that's where I would take my edge rusher.

37 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Passing on Watson for some safety so we can later trade Richardson to move up for Mahomes would be gloriously Jets.

This actually makes pretty good sense to me.  Watson seems like a great kid who had a great college career but seems more Danny Wuerfel than Aaron Rodgers. 

The Raiders might trade back from 24, but they aren't trading for Sheldon Richardson .   For one simple reason they can't  afford his 8 plus million salary this year , or his longterm salary demands.   ( can't see them trading for a one year rental). 

Right after the draft the Raiders most definitely will lock up Derek Carr to longterm contract, and good chance they try to do the same with their Rg Gabe Jackson.   That's where all there money going this year.

4 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

When I first read the title to the article,  I have to admit,  that for a split second, I thought to myself, " Oh no, Bowles is going to use Richardson at quarterback now?"

I don't think any coach in God's creation would actully want to line Riichardson up further away from an opposing QB.  I would want that QB to be smelling Sheldon's breath. But that is Bowles.  I doubt we could use him the way Cimini says, Bowles has devalued him so.

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

It's highly unlikely Richardson fetches a reasonable pick in 2017.... At this stage, teams tend to have a plan and fall in love with their boards. It's not impossible, but it's more likely we'd get a decent pick in 2018 for Richardson, not this year. 

Agreed.  No one wants Richardson

On 4/1/2017 at 11:14 AM, Happy Clouds said:

When I first read the title to the article,  I have to admit,  that for a split second, I thought to myself, " Oh no, Bowles is going to use Richardson at quarterback now?"

Hahahaha, I thought the same thing!!!

Archived