The pick at 6 has to be..

JetFanatic

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

McCown cannot throw it very far.  Maybe a TE is a good idea.

We certainly need a tight end. Especially to help/bail out the young QBs who should be getting considerable playing time this go around. Just don't know enough about it to say this is the guy. If he is going to be the next Gronk then of course.  Anything short of that is a tough pick at 6. Plus F McCown. Less we see of him the better. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JetFanatic said:

I just feel like given our situation in regards to having a young QB and no identity on offense that he would be perfect.

I agree.  I love Fournette btw but I don't want an injury risk who will burn out in a few years and cost a lot to pay for a 2nd contract.  And we prob won't be good for 2-3 years anyway (depending on how the rebuild goes) so he won't be that relevant until he has mileage and costs a lot.  I think OJ can have a much longer shelf life than a physical RB.  That said, I wouldn't hate Fournette. 

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

I like it! When we took Kyle Brady I almost fell off the couch! A big lumbering slow white guy with bad hands who looked like Clutch Cargo.

OJ Howard on the other hand, a freak of nature who I believe hasn't touched the surface of his abilities the way he was used at Alabama but was a GO TO GUY when they needed something good to happen.

He's a giant receiver who can catch, run, block, and would make everyone around him better because of his presence on the field. Plus, if they do indeed keep Decker & he comes back healthy, Decker-Enunwa-Howard & Peake (I think Peake is gonna make a move this year). That's 4 guys with good size & strength who can block, with Decker-Enunwa-Howard all able to work out of the slot as interchangeable pieces. Makes going in motion real difficult for a defense since each one brings something to the table, Enunwas speed, Deckers size & great route running and OJ just being beastly.

howard might make some sense as long as he's not in the kyle brady or jace amaro mold. if he's like gonzales or gronkowski, sight me up.  those guys put lots of pressure on defenses.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If we sat through yet another season of unwatchable dogsh*t just so we can draft a tight end, I am going to be very upset about that.

Well I hate to break it to you but no matter who they pick in the whole friggin draft its pretty much going to be another season of unwatchable dogsh*t. That goes hand and hand with rebuilding. I just hope they show some development over the course of the season so by the end the dogsh*t is semi-watchable.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well I hate to break it to you but no matter who they pick in the whole friggin draft its pretty much going to be another season of unwatchable dogsh*t. That goes hand and hand with rebuilding. I just hope they show some development over the course of the season so by the end the dogsh*t is semi-watchable.

The goal is to not be watching dogsh*t in 2 years.

I really think there will be better players available at pick 6 but i wouldn't cry with Howard I think it would give us the ability to run two tight end sets with asj and Howard or even enunwa and Howard like ne used to do with gronk and hernandez. Second round pick I absolutely love if we don't end up with jabril peppers in the first through a trade down scenario. As for the third round pick I think Sidney Jones has about the same chance as tabor of falling to round 3 I think Jones would be the better fit for us also note I don't think either will actually make it passed round two. As for round 3b I don't think we need to draft a receiver at this point outside of a standout prospect maybe cupp falls here but we might be better off looking for offensive line prospects who might develop for us for next season when we have the potential to get our qb.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

If we sat through yet another season of unwatchable dogsh*t just so we can draft a tight end, I am going to be very upset about that.

Just a TE?
Today's NFL is a passing league. This guy is better than any WR in this draft and it's not even close.

You got to look at TEs as WRs now. If you'd be willing to draft a WR at #6 over OJ...I'm sorry, but that would be crazy

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I could definitely see the pick easily being Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker and I wouldn't be mad at that at all.  The new OC utilizes a TE and we have none which leads me to believe that one will be picked in the first three rounds.  So in your case it could easily be Adams/Hooker with the 6th pick and a TE (Engram/Everett/Leggett) in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I just think the best value would be getting Howard at 6 because he's head and shoulders the best TE in this class and Budda Baker, who I feel isn't a major drop off at the Safety position compared to the top guys, in the 2nd round.

I 100% agree. The drop off at TE is much larger than DBs. You can find 1st round talent DBs in round 2 and maybe even 3. You are not finding another OJ Howard for another 10 more years.

53 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We certainly need a tight end. Especially to help/bail out the young QBs who should be getting considerable playing time this go around. Just don't know enough about it to say this is the guy. If he is going to be the next Gronk then of course.  Anything short of that is a tough pick at 6. Plus F McCown. Less we see of him the better. 

To me, McCown is a Fitz who throws overhand--same panic, same inaccuracy, just more over the top

Just a TE?
Today's NFL is a passing league. This guy is better than any WR in this draft and it's not even close.

You got to look at TEs as WRs now. If you'd be willing to draft a WR at #6 over OJ...I'm sorry, but that would be crazy

50/50 accurate and horsesh*t. You're right about modernizing how we assess tight ends, however as a receiver, Howard is not even close to worth the sixth pick overall. He's a better than average receiver at best. Ingram and Everett alone are light years better than Howard is receivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

McCown cannot throw it very far.  Maybe a TE is a good idea.

5 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

O.J Howard.  Okay so I've been thinking about this draft probably a little too much.  It's such a vital draft for this franchise it's not even funny.  As far as order of importance for this draft for me it's this:

1.  An offensive identity. - (O.J Howard)

-I think O.J Howard puts a lot of check-marks in a lot of boxes for the Jets.  Not only does he give them a position of need, but he gives this team some type of weapon and some type of identity on offense.  He will hopefully turn into a player that teams need to gameplan against for us.  He makes all surrounding offensive players much better by making the defense have to account for him all over the field which will open things up and leave one on one coverage for our young speedy receivers to hopefully take advantage of.  At the very least it'll make their job that much easier only going up against single coverage now.  He makes the offensive line a little better as he is a good willing blocker who will only get better.  Most importantly for me, he's going to be a security blanket for one of our young guys in Hackenberg/Petty and most likely their best friend on the field.  I love the potential of having either Petty or Hackenberg winning it out and blossoming and growing with potential playmakers like Howard/Anderson/Enunwa/D. Smith 

2.  Safety - (Budda Baker)

-I think a ball-hawking safety is vital in today's league and on this defense.  I personally think that it was an off year for Wilkerson coming off of that injury and to be honest it was an easy year to check it in and take off lets face it.  It's a trigger effect on defense and it starts with the defensive line.  I think this year we get our old Wilkerson back and I really feel like this defensive line is going to do damage starting up front.  That's going to essential lead to the jobs of our secondary players being that much easier.  Still going to present a great challenge though.  In the last mock I did I have the Jets grabbing Budda Baker.  If you haven't seen this guy play I highly recommend watching his film.  Tyrann Mathieu sticks out at me when I watch this kid in that he's smaller but man is this kid feisty and has tons of heart.  Would love him back there roaming around the secondary.

3a.  Cornerback - (Jalen 'Teez' Tabor)

-Cornerbacks are always a high priority for me.  You can never have enough.  Our current corners are young and have potential.  Claiborne has tons of potential but he's an injury away from leaving us in really bad shape cornerback wise if he goes down.  Getting some insurance in a deep deep deep CB class is ideal and we can land a stud with our top 3rd pick here which is awesome.  I personally have Tabor here because with his underwhelming 40 time I do feel he's going to drop but this kid can play.  If Claiborne can stay healthy and guys like Burris and Williams take the next step and continue to improve this unit can be huge for us.  If the defensive line plays up to their All Star potential there are going to be a lot of rushed inaccurate throws that these CBs can hopefully take advantage of.  

3b.  Wide Receiver - (???)

-Here I would go with the best WR available.  I'm basing this on the fact that I think Decker is gone.  That leaves us with Enunwa/R. Anderson/D. Smith/J. Marshall/C. Peake.  While full of potential I think we still need one.  This receiver class is tricky this year.  I really feel there are guys that are going to be had in the 3rd round who can be legit #1 receivers.  I think we still need one more guy here who we feel can be that guy.  In my mock I have Curtis Samuel from Ohio State going here.  The kid is a WR/RB hybrid and complete stud I think.  

Well that's my nonsense guys thanks for reading I know it was long.  If we can land something like that with our first 4 picks I think it's a great great start to what'll be an exciting season with our young team.

How much better is OJ Howard then Gerald Everett?

How much better a prospect is Baker than Josh Jones?

I'm not a draft guru but would like to know considering it looks like you can get an Everett or a Jones in the later rounds. I would assume you want a prospect that is head and shoulders above the next guy. Especially in a year like this, I wouldn't mind bringing in athletes, that have high ceilings, but just need playing time and what better time than the 2017 season. Same goes with the UDFA period after the draft. Would hope the pitch would be easy. Our roster is bare, you can come in and have a real chance at playing time.

With the NY Jets having the worst QB Corps in the AFCE, I just have a hard time seeing them chucking the ball around the grid.

Fournette to me is the best pick. The teams will not be able to stack the box. Why would the Jets not like him and Carolina who had a recent SB appearance desire him very much? The QB has to throw the ball to Howard. The QB has to hand the ball to Fournette.

Fournette instantly gives the Jets an identity. He seriously helps the Jets extremely weak QB Corps. At the same time he buttresses the RB Corps and can give the D a much needed breather. 

33 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

With the NY Jets having the worst QB Corps in the AFCE, I just have a hard time seeing them chucking the ball around the grid.

Fournette to me is the best pick. The teams will not be able to stack the box. Why would the Jets not like him and Carolina who had a recent SB appearance desire him very much? The QB has to throw the ball to Howard. The QB has to hand the ball to Fournette.

Fournette instantly gives the Jets an identity. He seriously helps the Jets extremely weak QB Corps. At the same time he buttresses the RB Corps and can give the D a much needed breather. 

I def won't complain if we get Fournette.  I just think he could wear down by the time that we're, hopefully, ready to compete.  RBs take an incredible beating.  The Giants had that absolute monster of a RB Brandon Jacobs a few years ago and even his prime didn't last all that long.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When is the last time drafting a TE in the top ten worked out for a team?

This. If we were picking in the bottom half of the first round, then sure. Not at 6. No way. Not when you don't have a QB. Blocking TEs can be picked up later in the draft. The word "raw" comes to mind when Im talking about OJH. Hasn't done much in college, but possess a great frame and had an excellent combine. I'd go as far as saying I wouldn't even pick him in the first round. Plenty of good TEs to use this high of a pick on a TE that wasnt' even used in college. Reason? Go figure. 

2 hours ago, goober36 said:

When was the last time there was a 6"6 250 lb TE who runs a 4.5, 30 inch vertical and a 4.16 3 cone drill enter the draft?....oh, and he's proven

Proven WHAT?... Proven that he could throw up 100 yards once EVERY 5 GAMES.

There;s is some real self righteous bulls*t being thrown around here lately, especially about Howard. If OJ was who you guys want him to be, then yes, he would be be inconsideration for #6

OJ Howard however--

--Is NOT Gronk

--Is NOT Graham.

--is NOT the "proven" Receiving threat you think he is. 

Everything is speculation right now because Alabama didn't ask him to do a lot out. He ran digs, drags and quick outs. He blew up in a couple big games, and he's earned the right to be a 1st round pick... but this "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" sh*t for the birds 

Such classic SOJ right now. Generation talent at RB comes along like Fournette -- and we need someone like that more than anything right now, and this forum has convinced itself that we'd rather have an underperforming TE over Leonard fcking Fournette... LOL

And this is coming from someone who prefers Cook 

Proven WHAT?... Proven that he could throw up 100 yards once EVERY 5 GAMES.
There;s is some real self righteous bulls*t being thrown around here lately, especially about Howard. If OJ was who you guys want him to be, then yes, he would be be inconsideration for #6
OJ Howard however--
--Is NOT Gronk
--Is NOT Graham.
--is NOT the "proven" Receiving threat you think he is. 
Everything is speculation right now because Alabama didn't ask him to do a lot out. He ran digs, drags and quick outs. He blew up in a couple big games, and he's earned the right to be a 1st round pick... but this "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" sh*t for the birds 

Alabama didn't utilize him correctly. He proved that in big time scenarios, he's a guy you can rely on. When you need a big play, he's your guy and that has been proven.

He has shown people that he can be a #1....hence the senior bowl. He's proven that once he gets the ball in his hand he's a man amongst children.

It's not bullsh*t, it's reality

Just now, goober36 said:

Alabama didn't utilize him correctly. He proved that in big time scenarios, he's a guy you can rely on. When you need a big play, he's your guy and that has been proven.

He has shown people that he can be a #1....hence the senior bowl. He's proven that once he gets the ball in his hand he's a man amongst children.

It's not bullsh*t, it's reality

No he hasn't proven what you're saying.

He hasn't proven to be a downfield threat. He hasn't proven he can put up big games back to back to back weeks. He's shown the potential, but since when the fck do we spend the 6th pick aimlessly because potential. 

Engram has walked circles around OJ production wise. Yes, alabama didn't use him correctly. Or so we think?... they like to win games down there. Maybe there's more to the story. I don't think Howard is all that and bag of donuts catching balls with DBs draped on him.

that's a legit concern to have. 

No he hasn't proven what you're saying.
He hasn't proven to be a downfield threat. He hasn't proven he can put up big games back to back to back weeks. He's shown the potential, but since when the fck do we spend the 6th pick aimlessly because potential. 
Engram has walked circles around OJ production wise. Yes, alabama didn't use him correctly. Or so we think?... they like to win games down there. Maybe there's more to the story. I don't think Howard is all that and bag of donuts catching balls with DBs draped on him.
that's a legit concern to have. 

I'd have to agree to disagree, respectfully.

Did you watch the game vs Washington? Did you watch the game against Clemson? 4 receptions 104 yards. He was used as a vertical threat and burned every defender..Did you watch the senior bowl?

2 spotlight games and the senior bowl where they utilized him how he should be.

Don't get me wrong, Engram is a great player. But in my opinion, Howard is on another level. Bigger Faster and 4 inches taller than Engram. I don't think Engram will thrive as a 6"2 TE.

At #6 in the country, no to:

TE, S, RB, ILB, G, C, RT

If that's the "value" pick, then surely someone else sees this value, is willing to trade up to our pick, and will give up chart-value or better for the privilege.

At #6, if the value is there:

QB, WR, CB, OLB-DE pass rusher, DE-DT (but not for us), LT (grudgingly, and only because they're so expensive as FAs)

Could be exceptions if the team was set up to win now, and we got the #6 pick via trade or something, then you can thread the needle and take one of those "no" positions. But not a rebuilding team like ours.

5 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I like Gallman from Clemson.  I like his straight line running and like his pass protection even more.

I'm a big fan of Gallman.  There are a number of RBs I wouldn't mind in the later rounds.  Deep running back class also

when you bold everything, you have bolded nothing

with that said, the GM has to trust his scouts and take the BPA at a position with the highest price tag/hardest to find factor

TE is really out of the question, Safety is borderline.  Based on what I am seeing in this draft the 2 best edge rushers will be gone, there is no QB or LT  worth taking there so I am figuring CB, lololololol

Fournette is possible, he makes a QB's job easier, but with his style will probably have a short career and RB's are kinda easy to find so this would be just a so-so pick to me

I'm hoping someone really wants a guy and trades with us.  I would even trade down twice in this draft to get into QB/LT range

7 minutes ago, goober36 said:

I'd have to agree to disagree, respectfully.

Did you watch the game vs Washington? Did you watch the game against Clemson? 4 receptions 104 yards. He was used as a vertical threat and burned every defender..Did you watch the senior bowl?

2 spotlight games and the senior bowl where they utilized him how he should be.

Don't get me wrong, Engram is a great player. But in my opinion, Howard is on another level. Bigger Faster and 4 inches taller than Engram. I don't think Engram will thrive as a 6"2 TE.

Jordan Reed and Aaron Hernandez (especially Reed) are virtually identical physically to Engram. Pretty it's worked out for them on the field.

You're not crazy, you just sound bamboozled. 

There's virtually no one who wants us to run a 12 personnel (two TE) formation more than me. I love it... and yet, i'm telling you that there's some fools' gold to Howard in a sense that's not (yet) proven to be a dynamic downfield threat. A lot his production in those big games have come from broken coverages and mismatches. He's good, but he's not catching the ball 40 yards downfield with 2 DBs on him like Gronk does. Do you understand what i'm saying?

Jordan Reed and Aaron Hernandez (especially Reed) are virtually identical physically to Engram. Pretty it's worked out for them on the field.
There's virtually no one who wants us to run a 12 personnel (two TE) formation more than me. I love it... and yet, i'm telling you that there's some fools' gold to Howard in a sense that's not (yet) proven to be a dynamic downfield threat. A lot his production in those big games have come from broken coverages and mismatches. He's good, but he's not catching the ball 40 yards downfield with 2 DBs on him like Gronk does. Do you understand what i'm saying?

I just think Howard brings more upside. He will always cause mismatches with smaller nickel/safety backs or slower linebackers. He is also one hell of a blocker. smaller TEs like Reed struggle with blocking bigger LBs and DEs.

Bottom line, I think Howard will bring more to the table as a TE and will upgrade this offense in the passing game, running game, and pass protection.

But I also would love a 2 TE personnel. Mismatch galore.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I def won't complain if we get Fournette.  I just think he could wear down by the time that we're, hopefully, ready to compete.  RBs take an incredible beating.  The Giants had that absolute monster of a RB Brandon Jacobs a few years ago and even his prime didn't last all that long.

In the next two or three drafts the Jets could take RB's as both of the current RB's on the roster are good for only 2/3 more years.  RB is the most important weapon to a QB particularly a young and unproven one. Right now Fournette if available is the only choice.

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Watch the BCS Title game.  Howard scored a touchdown on a long passing play.  Alabama never used Howard other than as a check down because lane Kiffin  wuz retarded

28 minutes ago, goober36 said:

I just think Howard brings more upside. 

You're not wrong, athletically he's more gifted than his predecessors... However so was stephen hill. All i'm saying is that he's not yet shown me enough fight in traffic to warrant #6. 

1 minute ago, thadude said:

Watch the BCS Title game.  Howard scored a touchdown on a long passing play.  Alabama never used Howard other than as a check down because lane Kiffin  wuz retarded

I've watched it. I know about it. I've talked about it. Y'all are still dancing around the point. 

It's ok. to each his own. 

Archived