Offseason Program Begins Monday April 17th..Media Access Reduced.

C Mart

1. Coach's message: The offseason program begins Monday under dramatically different circumstances than a year ago -- i.e. no dark clouds. The Ryan Fitzpatrick contract mess was a huge distraction last winter/spring/summer, disrupting team chemistry and creating a bad vibe for the season. Now coach Todd Bowles gets a chance to reboot in what figures to be a make-or-break year for him. When he meets with the team, he will stress the importance of competition at every position, saying there are no guarantees for anyone. He probably could include himself in that category.

"I know, starting April 17, the tone will be set," cornerback Buster Skrine said recently. "I know Coach Bowles. When he says something, he means it. The tone will be set on April 17, and we'll probably be one of the most organized teams in the league."

It'll be quieter than a year ago, that's for sure. The Fitzpatrick situation became bigger than the team and, yes, Bowles probably wishes he did a better job of containing it. The buttoned-down coach left a few undone last year, but I expect that to change.

One thing that has changed is the media access to players. Unlike past years, the free-agent additions weren't made available when they signed. Reporters also won't have the opportunity to speak with selected players on Day 1 of the offseason program, as they've done in the past. The first media availability won't be for another couple of weeks. While it's unclear if this is a directive from Bowles, it sends a message: The team wants to eliminate potential distractions in the early, team-building stages of the offseason.

Don't know where else to post this so I'll throw it here:

ASJ straight up stole a girl I used to talk to. Saw him commenting under all her IG pics, and now I find out they're hooking up. Lets cut him soon.

29 minutes ago, Mecca said:

ASJ straight up stole a girl I used to talk to. Saw him commenting under all her IG pics, and now I find out they're hooking up. Lets cut him soon.

You gotta revenge post this chick - start here and post a pic, nothing scandalous but if she's getting NFL guys she could be hot.

15 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You gotta revenge post this chick - start here and post a pic, nothing scandalous but if she's getting NFL guys she could be hot.

I was ready to start hitting her up any day now too. I'm 5'9 155, so now I feel like she leveled up, that there's no point in ever hitting her up again haha. Just gotta take my L. 

19 hours ago, C Mart said:

1. Coach's message: The offseason program begins Monday under dramatically different circumstances than a year ago -- i.e. no dark clouds. The Ryan Fitzpatrick contract mess was a huge distraction last winter/spring/summer, disrupting team chemistry and creating a bad vibe for the season. Now coach Todd Bowles gets a chance to reboot in what figures to be a make-or-break year for him. When he meets with the team, he will stress the importance of competition at every position, saying there are no guarantees for anyone. He probably could include himself in that category.

"I know, starting April 17, the tone will be set," cornerback Buster Skrine said recently. "I know Coach Bowles. When he says something, he means it. The tone will be set on April 17, and we'll probably be one of the most organized teams in the league."

It'll be quieter than a year ago, that's for sure. The Fitzpatrick situation became bigger than the team and, yes, Bowles probably wishes he did a better job of containing it. The buttoned-down coach left a few undone last year, but I expect that to change.

One thing that has changed is the media access to players. Unlike past years, the free-agent additions weren't made available when they signed. Reporters also won't have the opportunity to speak with selected players on Day 1 of the offseason program, as they've done in the past. The first media availability won't be for another couple of weeks. While it's unclear if this is a directive from Bowles, it sends a message: The team wants to eliminate potential distractions in the early, team-building stages of the offseason.

It feels so right that Buster Skrine is the face of the Todd Bowles Jets.

The Fitz situation was not a distraction... Just something else the media had to write about.

The only thing that hurt was Fitz not having the spring months to get work in, but that likely would have done nothing anyway.

Some info per CBA:

Off Season Rules

General

•Workouts Cannot Begin Prior To The First Monday In April For Clubs With A New Head Coach Or The Third Monday In April For All Other Clubs

•WORKOUTS ARE STRICTLY VOLUNTARY; Club Officials Cannot Indicate Workouts Are Anything Other Than Voluntary

•Maximum 4 W/O Per Week (No Weekends), With One Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp (Not Permitted On Weekends)

•CONTACT WORK IS PROHIBITED IN ALL WORKOUTS (E.G. “Live” Blocking, Tackling, Pass Rushing, Bump-And-Run, Etc.)

•INTENSITY AND TEMPO OF DRILLS SHOULD BE AT A LEVEL CONDUCIVE TO LEARNING, With Player Safety As The Highest Priority

Phase One | 4 hours a day (Begins April 17th)

•Two Weeks | Limited To Strength And Conditioning Activities (“Dead Ball”); Only Strength And Conditioning Coaches Allowed On Field

•90 Minute Max On The Field

•Clubs Can Only Specify 2 Hours For Players To Be At Facility

•Players Choose The Other 2 Hours For Weights, Etc

Phase Two | 4 hours a day

Three Weeks | Same Rules As Phase One Except:

•All Coaches Allowed On The Field

•Individual And “Perfect Play” Drills Allowed

•No Offense Vs. Defense, No One V. One, No Helmets

Phase Three | 6 hours a day

•4 Weeks For 10 OTA’s

•A Maximum Of Three OTA’s Each Week For The First 2 Weeks

•During Weeks 1&2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply. A Maximum Of 4 OTA’s For The 3rd Or 4th Week, With The Other Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp

OTA's | 6 hours

•4 Weeks Total

•3 Weeks For 10 Total OTA’s

•A Maximum Of 3 OTA’s Each Week For The First 2 Weeks

•During Weeks 1 & 2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply

•A Maximum Of 4 OTA’s For The 3rd Or 4th Week

•One Week For Mini Camp

•No Pads Except Protective Knee And Elbow Pads, Helmets Are Permitted

•No Live Contract

•7 On 7, 9 On 7 And 11 On 11 Drills Will Be Permitted Provided No Live Contact Takes Place

Minicamp | 10 hours a day

•Physicals On Monday But No Practice

•Practices Tuesday-Thursday, With A Day Off On Friday

•Allowed Two Practices Totaling 3 ½ Hours On The Field Per Day

•Second Practice Limited To Walk Through Activities Only

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It feels so right that Buster Skrine is the face of the Todd Bowles Jets.

That part isn't ideal. And he is making the rounds which is what it is.

That said, this media thing is encouraging. Bowles is learning. Good news.

6 hours ago, C Mart said:

Some info per CBA:

Off Season Rules

General

•Workouts Cannot Begin Prior To The First Monday In April For Clubs With A New Head Coach Or The Third Monday In April For All Other Clubs

•WORKOUTS ARE STRICTLY VOLUNTARY; Club Officials Cannot Indicate Workouts Are Anything Other Than Voluntary

•Maximum 4 W/O Per Week (No Weekends), With One Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp (Not Permitted On Weekends)

•CONTACT WORK IS PROHIBITED IN ALL WORKOUTS (E.G. “Live” Blocking, Tackling, Pass Rushing, Bump-And-Run, Etc.)

•INTENSITY AND TEMPO OF DRILLS SHOULD BE AT A LEVEL CONDUCIVE TO LEARNING, With Player Safety As The Highest Priority

•Two Weeks | Limited To Strength And Conditioning Activities (“Dead Ball”); Only Strength And Conditioning Coaches Allowed On Field

•4 Weeks For 10 OTA’s

•During Weeks 1&2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply. A Maximum Of 4 OTA’s For The 3rd Or 4th Week, With The Other Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp

OTA's | 6 hours

•4 Weeks Total

•One Week For Mini Camp

•No Live Contract

•7 On 7, 9 On 7 And 11 On 11 Drills Will Be Permitted Provided No Live Contact Takes Place

Thanks for posting, seeing these rules explains a lot, I believe that last CBA was the beginning of the end for the NFL, the play on the field continues to get worse with no live practice or developmental league, and injuries have not been reduced, maybe delayed until live contact starts and by the time a young team starts to gel, the season is over, not sure how they get better without practice

the team that finds a way to "bend" these rules has a huge advantage :)

36 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Thanks for posting, seeing these rules explains it all, I believe that last CBA was the beginning of the end for the NFL, the play on the field continues to get worse with no live practice or developmental league, and injuries have not been reduced, maybe delayed until live contact starts and by the time a young team starts to gel, the season is over, the team that finds a way to "bend" these rules has a huge advantage

Really hard to do.  So many of these players may hit 3 teams during the course of an off season.  Leaking info to a rival team is a way to get a shot

15 hours ago, C Mart said:

Some info per CBA:

Off Season Rules

General

•4 Weeks For 10 OTA’s

OTA's | 6 hours

•4 Weeks Total

•One Week For Mini Camp

•No Live Contract

Collectively bargained that nonsense. And one of the root causes in the lack of development of players and increased injuries. Mawae and his group of Club Med veterans really screwed over the next generation of developmental players.

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

Really hard to do.  So many of these players may hit 3 teams during the course of an off season.  Leaking info to a rival team is a way to get a shot

true it was a sad attempt at a pats* jab, and the "extra scrimmages" they seem to have with other teams to get in some extra practice 

Bowles does seem like a guy who just worked harder then everyone else back in the day, that was how he succeeded, maybe the lazy practice rules are a reason why he could not motivate the team last year?

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

look on the bright side.  hack will finally be throwing.  as long as the reports aren't from mehta they may be accurate.

Or is Hack being "red shirted" this offseason as well to prepare him to play in 2025? Sorry, I have zero faith in anything this HC says, does, or professes to say or do.

The real question is why are they limiting media access in April, to avoid embarrassment?

On 4/16/2017 at 6:31 PM, Mecca said:

"ASJ straight up stole a girl I used to talk to."

Wait, he stole a girl you used to talk to? LOL. So, you weren't dating her, weren't hooking up with her, you just USED to talk to her? And he 'stole' her? From who? LOL. C'mon man. Sounds like she was completely up for grabs. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

"ASJ straight up stole a girl I used to talk to."

Wait, he stole a girl you used to talk to? LOL. So, you weren't dating her, weren't hooking up with her, you just USED to talk to her? And he 'stole' her? From who? LOL. C'mon man. Sounds like she was completely up for grabs. 

LOL well she was. But I was about to start hitting her up this week. You also are Captain Literal.

8 minutes ago, Mecca said:

LOL well she was. But I was about to start hitting her up this week. You also are Captain Literal.

Just sayin...

If ya'll were in a relationship I think this whole forum would have gotten your back. Her IG woulda blown up.   

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Or is Hack being "red shirted" this offseason as well to prepare him to play in 2025? Sorry, I have zero faith in anything this HC says, does, or professes to say or do.

The real question is why are they limiting media access in April, to avoid embarrassment?

i suspect bowles feels the media caused a lot of the locker room problems between shelly and marshall.  imo this is silly.  bowles needed to hold those clowns accountable regardless and the media had nothing to do with what went on.

On 4/17/2017 at 8:31 AM, Mecca said:

She's gone dude. I imagine he's around there every night now scoring a pick 6. You should be happy for her. Looks like her mini camp started early this year.

But don't dwell on it, don't give it another thought that the girl of your dreams is having an athlete entering his prime on $1M+ per year attend to her every need.

He's a 6'5 260lb physical specimen holding that fine piece of lady. Leave it be man, leave it be.

Just isn't worth the heartache, put it out of your mind that posting on a fan board is all you can offer in rebellion. Let it go dude, let it go.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

bowles needed to hold those clowns accountable regardless and the media had nothing to do with what went on.

You are right. But why not hold players accountable AND impose restrictions. It's a convenient excuse to cut out another problem.  Media access provides zero positive results to the team.  The more limits the Jets have in place for them, the better.  Basically, I hope they impose a Marshawn Lynch style mandate of all media encounters organizationally.  Provide the absolute minimum league required access and don't actually answer anything, ever, just provide an endless stream of unrelated drivel.  I'd even suggest mumbling incoherently, so that you have to repeat it and can waste even more of their NFL mandated access time.

What are they going to do....write mean things about us? 

17 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

You are right. But why not hold players accountable AND impose restrictions. It's a convenient excuse to cut out another problem.  Media access provides zero positive results to the team.  The more limits the Jets have in place for them, the better.  Basically, I hope they impose a Marshawn Lynch style mandate of all media encounters organizationally.  Provide the absolute minimum league required access and don't actually answer anything, ever, just provide an endless stream of unrelated drivel.  I'd even suggest mumbling incoherently, so that you have to repeat it and can waste even more of their NFL mandated access time.

The Parcellian method of Media Contempt. TB is considered an apple of the Parcells Coaching Tree: Got his first coaching start under HC Groh with Parcels at the helm and then followed him at his next two stops in Dallas and Miami.

The No Tolerance for Media policy is PERFECTLY understandable for the NY beat writers who look MORE to INCITE THAN to INFORM the Jets fan base. 

18 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

imo if the players are held accountable then there is no need for a media blackout.  don't get me wrong the whole group of media morons from mehta to serby can all go rot as far as i'm concerned.  obviously a certain degree of restraint when dealing with the media is warranted. as you said, they will just print bs and lies anyway.

Archived