Offensive players easier to get

Jetster

While Jet fans bitch & moan about drafting quite possibly the surest guy in the draft and bypassing a TE, WR, RB, let's look a little deeper into this draft strategy of BPA. Again I'll reiterate that the Jets aren't completely rebuilding this team in one draft. In 2015 Williams dropped to us & looks to be a slam dunk, one of the best defensive players in the league.

Now Adams, who Gruden and many other NFL people thought was the SUREST pick in the draft. The Jets & Macc can't miss on 1st rounders. Lee is still a ? but he also was picked at 20. Top 10 you can not miss.

Now I'll get to my point. Offensive players similar to those everyone was clamoring for are always available to creative GMs. Look at the Pats. Amendola, Bennett, Hogan, Birkhead, Gillislie, Blount, Allen. We're gonna have a ton of money next year. 

We got a ton of offense in free agency & through trades when we wanted to, Holmes, Edwards, ect. Carolina got Olsen in a trade. Pats just got Cooks through a trade. It way easier to GET offensive players. Defensive stars? Way harder!

Did Eric Berry get to free agency? Thomas? Even Belichick didn't let McCourty leave. Do you think Washington regrets not taking Williams? I do. We got Eric Decker in free agency. We've drafted some young guys showing some talent at WR, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, maybe Devin Smith finally stays healthy, we'll have plenty of money to grab a guy if we miss out in this draft.

Weve still got 3 picks tonight, maybe 4 if we can move Sheldon, already we can see that our #2 pick, there is still a block of very good players available. If Greenbay & Seattle pass on RB, pretty much the Jets have their choice from Cooks, Kamara, Mixon, and probably 3 others. Will they take a RB there? I have no clue but personally I hope an Olineman, CB, or edge rusher is the pick. We have 2 third rounders to go offense. 2018 is also part of our rebuild, let's be realistic.

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

If you can't get a QB, get after the other team's QB

Spare opening day vs. the Bengals, a game the Jets lost, they don't get to the QB. And this pick doesn't change that. 

So to combat passing attacks like the Pats (we play them 2X every season as you may know) over 2 seasons we have with our top picks taken a short armed little OLB who cannot cover and a SS who runs 4.56. 

So in 2 seasons, we still have black hole at QB, RB and TE.(despite getting burned by TEs forever the jets pretend having a  decent one of your own is illegal).  Our top WR is gone, #2 is coming off an injury. We have lost our long term C and LT, and done almost nothing to add much at the OL at all. When we did put one of our young QBs on the field we ran a scared pussified offense as if we were protecting playoff position. The other young QB never got on the field, but by most accounts is a douchebag of epic proportions. The moron head coach farmed out the offense to a guy who was out of football and looking to pad his IRA rather than getting a young hungry dynamic pass-oriented OC. Said old guy's idea about offense was 2 runs up the middle followed by an incompletion on 3rd and 8. 

Good news; Pats will not let us win in Week 17 to eff up Mac/Bowles' replacements form picking Darnold. 

27 minutes ago, Jetster said:

While Jet fans bitch & moan about drafting quite possibly the surest guy in the draft and bypassing a TE, WR, RB, let's look a little deeper into this draft strategy of BPA. Again I'll reiterate that the Jets aren't completely rebuilding this team in one draft. In 2015 Williams dropped to us & looks to be a slam dunk, one of the best defensive players in the league.

Now Adams, who Gruden and many other NFL people thought was the SUREST pick in the draft. The Jets & Macc can't miss on 1st rounders. Lee is still a ? but he also was picked at 20. Top 10 you can not miss.

Now I'll get to my point. Offensive players similar to those everyone was clamoring for are always available to creative GMs. Look at the Pats. Amendola, Bennett, Hogan, Birkhead, Gillislie, Blount, Allen. We're gonna have a ton of money next year. 

We got a ton of offense in free agency & through trades when we wanted to, Holmes, Edwards, ect. Carolina got Olsen in a trade. Pats just got Cooks through a trade. It way easier to GET offensive players. Defensive stars? Way harder!

Did Eric Berry get to free agency? Thomas? Even Belichick didn't let McCourty leave. Do you think Washington regrets not taking Williams? I do. We got Eric Decker in free agency. We've drafted some young guys showing some talent at WR, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, maybe Devin Smith finally stays healthy, we'll have plenty of money to grab a guy if we miss out in this draft.

Weve still got 3 picks tonight, maybe 4 if we can move Sheldon, already we can see that our #2 pick, there is still a block of very good players available. If Greenbay & Seattle pass on RB, pretty much the Jets have their choice from Cooks, Kamara, Mixon, and probably 3 others. Will they take a RB there? I have no clue but personally I hope an Olineman, CB, or edge rusher is the pick. We have 2 third rounders to go offense. 2018 is also part of our rebuild, let's be realistic.

Good post as usual.  If they can't acquire more Day 2 picks give me:

2) Dalvin Cook

3a) Cordrea Tankersley

3b) Jake Butt

Jets have so many good players to choose from in this spot in the 2nd round... I think they go for Wilson or King maybe Awuzie and get one of the top Cornerbacks in the draft... But I would be ok with Robinson or  Cook too.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

100%.  I've been signing this tune in the other threads.  The draft didnt end last night.  Guys who can score TD's arent exclusive to the 1st round.

We went through this exercise prior to the draft. 1 RB in the top 10 last year  was a 1st round pick.  Arguably the best WR in the NFL was taken in the 6th round.  Similar to RB, if you look at the top 10 WR's from last year from a reception standpoint, 3 were 1st round picks.  The TE's? 1 was a 1st round pick.

Just look at the Jets offense from 2 years ago.  The QB?  7th round.  The WR's? Neither were 1st round picks.  The RB they had who led the AFC in rushing, was a UDFA. The TE?  Just kidding. ;-)

The Jets still have plenty of chances to improve their offense. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

100%.  I've been signing this tune in the other threads.  The draft didnt end last night.  Guys who can score TD's arent exclusive to the 1st round.

We went through this exercise prior to the draft. 1 RB in the top 10 last year  was a 1st round pick.  Arguably the best WR in the NFL was taken in the 6th round.  Similar to RB, if you look at the top 10 WR's from last year from a reception standpoint, 3 were 1st round picks.  The TE's? 1 was a 1st round pick.

Just look at the Jets offense from 2 years ago.  The QB?  7th round.  The WR's? Neither were 1st round picks.  The RB they had who led the AFC in rushing, was a UDFA. The TE?  Just kidding. ;-)

The Jets still have plenty of chances to improve their offense. 

they do, but the odds are they take a cb in the 2nd, the need is there as is the draft board saying that's a reasonable pick.  then you're maybe looking at a wr in the 3rd and maybe OL help.  while it would be great to get cook in the 2nd, this has the feel of a meat and potatoes draft which should improve the overall talent of the team and hopefully gives hackenberg enough weapons when he eventually starts.  it would be nice if they took a TE tonight also.

31 minutes ago, stugotz81 said:

If we get Cook with our next pick I will be souped!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get your hopes up. We all want him but I don't think they bring in a kid like him. I am almost hoping he gets taken before us so we don't have to be  upset about passing on him. 

If offense is so easy to get, why do the Jets fail to do that year after year? Everything abut how the Jets have drafted forever, favoring defense at the expense of offense, is a by any measure objectively a failure of epic proportions. 

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

Spare opening day vs. the Bengals, a game the Jets lost, they don't get to the QB. And this pick doesn't change that. 

So to combat passing attacks like the Pats (we play them 2X every season as you may know) over 2 seasons we have with our top picks taken a short armed little OLB who cannot cover and a SS who runs 4.56. 

So in 2 seasons, we still have black hole at QB, RB and TE.(despite getting burned by TEs forever the jets pretend having a  decent one of your own is illegal).  Our top WR is gone, #2 is coming off an injury. We have lost our long term C and LT, and done almost nothing to add much at the OL at all. When we did put one of our young QBs on the field we ran a scared pussified offense as if we were protecting playoff position. The other young QB never got on the field, but by most accounts is a douchebag of epic proportions. The moron head coach farmed out the offense to a guy who was out of football and looking to pad his IRA rather than getting a young hungry dynamic pass-oriented OC. Said old guy's idea about offense was 2 runs up the middle followed by an incompletion on 3rd and 8. 

Good news; Pats will not let us win in Week 17 to eff up Mac/Bowles' replacements form picking Darnold. 

Ok let's put Gilchrist back there. The IR'd FS.

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

If offense is so easy to get, why do the Jets fail to do that year after year? Everything abut how the Jets have drafted forever, favoring defense at the expense of offense, is a by any measure objectively a failure of epic proportions. 

Agreed. But there are times when you take a defensive player because he is graded way higher than every Offensive player available. With Williams and Adams the choices were no brainers. In other situations we erred on the side of defense because we had defensive minded head coaches and that is where we failed as a franchise. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But there are times when you take a defensive player because he is graded way higher than every Offensive player available. With Williams and Adams the choices were no brainers. In other situations we erred on the side of defense because we had defensive minded head coaches and that is where we failed as a franchise. 

Exactly! Rex got Quinton Coples & Calvin Pryor.....Macc got Williams & Adams,lol....no contest!

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Top 10 can't miss? Vernon Ghoulston. Blair Thomas. Enough said. You can easily miss, on any pick, but Adams was the consensus 2nd best player in this draft. Now Mac if you want to make nice with us Jet fans? Go out and draft Dalvin Cook with #39 if he is available.

Yes yes. The bitchers and moaners. Every year the geniuses tell us why the BPA DL or DB was the genius pick and that we're being ridiculous with our bitching and moaning. Literally every year and every pick. Whether its Gholston or Coples or Wilson or Milliner one of the other hundred schlubs that haven't made the least bit of a difference. Same schpiel every April like clockwork.

And yet, here we are, sitting on one of the worst rosters in the league. Weird.

25 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes yes. The bitchers and moaners. Every year the geniuses tell us why the BPA DL or DB was the genius pick and that we're being ridiculous with our bitching and moaning. Literally every year and every pick. Whether its Gholston or Coples or Wilson or Milliner one of the other hundred schlubs that haven't made the least bit of a difference. Same schpiel every April like clockwork.

Clinical definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

27 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Your points are good ones, all I will say is short of getting a QB, we will continue to suck. So I don't see anything we could have done short of drafting Watson or Mahomes that had any real chance of changing that, and I bitch as much as anyone about not drafting offensive players every year.

I know some really liked Watson and some really liked Mahomes, and maybe one of the two works out, but I think both are major risks, and I still think missing on a high pick QB sets teams back much more than anything else in football. I think Mahomes has huge upside, but would have been highly likely to fail here, because unlike KC sitting behind Smith, he would have had to start here on day 1 if the Jets drafted him at 6, and I don't think he's ready for that at all. I don't think Watson is ever going to be a special QB, so I have no problems with passing on him, and if I am wrong, I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

Archived