Dylan Donahue; Round 5 (181 overall)

JetNation

On April 30, 2017 at 7:28 AM, KRL said:

I said it before and this confirms it, Kevin Greene was a driving force behind this pick.

Listen to Bowles interview:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Todd-Bowles-We-Brought-in-a-lot-of-Toughness/e41b9503-7f82-4a30-b14a-5ed3e345cb76

On April 30, 2017 at 7:50 AM, jetsons said:

Nothing in that video confirmed that Greene was behind this pick, Bowles basically stated that the kid is a football player, a warrior who has a high motor with an old school mentality kinda like a Kevin Greene, their OLB coach.

tick . . . . tick . . . .  57a5f0dd57a47e1bdb441cb7c5efc696.jpg

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Well played KRL.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:44 AM, detectivekimble said:

Mac is a complete idiot.  There's actually a chance that Jordan Willis turns into a double digit sack man in the pros.  There's little to no chance that Stewart turns into a #1 WR.

Adams, Cook, Willis.  Was that so ******* hard?

Just imbecilic to take a S at round 2 after taking Adams at 1 and then following that up with an equally idiotic pick by taking a WR with our high 3rd rounder. Like we didn't have enough WR's on our roster. How many decent cb's we have? 1. How many Edge rushers we have - zippo. Do we have a frontline center? Uh NO. Adams, Elfelin, Best available cb...first 3 picks.  Instead we waste round 2 and 3 on a half azz safety and a half azz WR that wasn't even projected to be drafted until later. Mind buggling. 

4 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Just imbecilic to take a S at round 2 after taking Adams at 1 and then following that up with an equally idiotic pick by taking a WR with our high 3rd rounder. Like we didn't have enough WR's on our roster. How many decent cb's we have? 1. How many Edge rushers we have - zippo. Do we have a frontline center? Uh NO. Adams, Elfelin, Best available cb...first 3 picks.  Instead we waste round 2 and 3 on a half azz safety and a half azz WR that wasn't even projected to be drafted until later. Mind buggling. 

Maye actually might be pretty good, but double dipping at safety with two high picks.  Yikes.

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Greene may have been... but Nothing in that video confirmed that Greene was behind this... that video showed ZERO.

I don't think Greene was behind this, hopefully Greene doesn't have that kind of influence on draft day, but i do think if he was asked his opinion, Donahue is a kid he'd want 

On 4/30/2017 at 3:13 AM, New York Mick said:

Wow is that ugly. The level of competition is awful. It looks like high school football. This guy needed to go to a major college for a few years but he's already 25. 

HAHA,, yeah pretty sure most Left Tackles in NFL don't stand straight up at the snap of the ball.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68657/dylan-donahues-rookie-camp-with-jets-noisy-drivers-and-non-stop-motor

Dylan Donahue's rookie camp with Jets: noisy drivers and nonstop motor

May 8, 2017
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Dylan Donahue attended high school in Billings, Montana, and completed his college eligibility at the University of West Georgia. So, no, he's not a big-city kind of guy.

When Donahue arrived last week for the New York Jets' rookie minicamp, he was awed by the New York skyline ("It's like an ocean of buildings") and bemused by the habits of New Jersey drivers.

"All the honking is like a second language," he said. "It's like people saying hello in New Jersey."

Donahue took the back roads to the NFL, but the fifth-round pick has big plans now that he's here. After a prolific pass-rushing career on the Division II level (25.5 sacks in two seasons at West Georgia), he's eager to show everyone the Jets got a steal by taking him with the 181st pick.

"They did, no doubt," Donahue said.

"I feel like if I had played at a D-I school, I would've been in the first, second round," he said confidently. "I have no doubt in my mind, actually, about that."

Dylan Donahue, the Jets' fifth-round pick, is a wild-haired, high-motor player who didn't take a well-traveled road to the NFL. Noah K. Murray/USA TODAY Sports

Donahue is 6-foot-3, 248 pounds with good speed (4.75 seconds in the 40-yard dash) and a motor that never needs to be refueled. His intensity was apparent at minicamp, where he seemed to be in constant motion. With his long, dirty-blond hair pouring out of his helmet and dancing on his shoulders, he cut quite a picture on the practice field. There were plays in which he rushed the quarterback and made the "tackle" downfield.

He patterns his game after his father, former NFL linebacker Mitch Donahue, who patterned his game after Hall of Fame linebacker Kevin Greene. Now the circle is complete because Greene, hired by Jets coach Todd Bowles in January, is coaching Dylan at outside linebacker.

In his day, Greene was a wild-haired, pass-rushing maniac who defined the word "intensity." He was the exact same size as Dylan and had the same draft pedigree -- a fifth-rounder. During pre-draft scouting, Greene developed an affinity for Donahue. They talked for a long time at the scouting combine.

"I feel like me and Coach Greene have something in common," he said. "He had a high motor and it made a lot of success for him, and I like to think it'll do the same for me. I think he sees a little bit of himself in me.

"My dad always talked about Kevin Greene, and that's who everybody aspired to be as a pass-rusher," Donahue added. "He made quarterbacks hurt, and they didn't like him on the field."

Donahue took a circuitous route to the Jets. By his own admission, he got "bad grades" in high school and his only option was Montana Western, an NAIA school. He said he struggled with classes and alcohol, deciding to take off a semester. He worked for his father, who owns a roofing business.

To reach his ceiling in life, Donahue knew he had to get off the roof. The realization hit him one day in the middle of winter, when he was freezing on a stranger's roof. A high school friend called -- "like a sign from God" -- suggesting he join him at Palomar College, a community college near San Diego. He stayed for two years before transferring to West Georgia, where he was the Gulf South Defensive Player of the Year in 2016.

"He’s a good football player," Bowles said. "He has a high motor. He had a lot of production; he gets after it. His intensity level is high. He plays with technique and he has some savvy, and he was a guy we thought was great value when we took him."

It will be a difficult transition, going from defensive line to outside linebacker. In practice, Donahue made a couple of mistakes in coverage and received an earful from Greene, who later calmly explained to him what he did wrong. It's a double dose of passion with Greene and Donahue, who believes he has as much potential as any of the players from big-time schools.

"I feel like I have a lot more speed off the edge and people underestimate my strength," he said. "That's all I can say about that."

• 9 months later...
On 4/30/2017 at 1:17 PM, Gas2No99 said:

They drafted some HUNGRY players and I think Donahue will be a solid ST player and the type of "FIRED UP" kamikaze football player that teams need as part of their identity. 

If anyone bothers to read the 2 long articles I posted earlier, the kid has DRIVE, NFL bloodlines, and took the Looooong HARD road to reach the NFL. He reminds me, petulant jokes aside, of the IK Enemkpali pick:  a stout HIGH MOTOR mighty might who'll die trying to sack the QB. 

Bowles and Mac are drafting players that seem tougher on the field and ARE SO due to their road to get to the NFL. Young HUNGRY CHEAP players w/a chip on their shoulders (like the Michigan CB)  who will be the CORE and DEPTH to this Jets team. Looks promising. 

LOL

On 4/30/2017 at 7:50 PM, jetsons said:

Nothing in that video confirmed that Greene was behind this pick, Bowles basically stated that the kid is a football player, a warrior who has a high motor with an old school mentality kinda like a Kevin Greene, their OLB coach.

I stop reading whenever I get to someone referring to a player as "the kid." Results-based analysis alert.

Archived