Absolutely NO REASON .....

Stark

42 minutes ago, Stark said:

FACT - McCown sucks, we all know this.

We do not know exactly how bad the 2 kids are because they haven't played. Let them play. Cut McCown. 

This isn't a youth movement or even a rebuild

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Considering plenty of evaluators called Hackenberg "undraftable," you may be on to something.  Though, worst evaluator in the history of the league is overdramatic hyperbole, because plenty of QBs simply don't belong on the field, criticism of Macc's talent evaluation thus far, agree or disagree, is merited.

Mac has hit on one player in his first two drafts and the list of quatrrbacks he brought in is horrific.  A blind old lady would be a better talent evaluator

15 hours ago, Stark said:

To even have McCown on the team. It's time cut his old, worthless as$ now while you are cutting other veterans. Let Petty and Hack get all the reps. There is no sense in keeping a bad veteran QB when you are going with a, full on, youth movement. 

Cut him Mac, or release him - not a player we need. 

Player coach.... stop with this ridiculous argument...

12 hours ago, gEYno said:

The reason is, it's quite possible the young QBs suck donkey dick, and there's no point in playing them when all it will do is hinder the development of the young WRs, offensive line, etc.  Without minimum competence at the QB position, no one will benefit.  Maybe Hack and Petty really do suck that bad.

Yup. Totally agree.

McCown should be the third option to start games this year IMO. But you have to have someone on the roster with it least some competence at the position. Because in reality, you do have other players to evaluate as well. If Hack and Petty aren't at all NFL QBs (and both were drafted as projects) you risk losing the locker room and stunting the growth of the rest of your team if neither one not only isn't a starter, but can't function at the position at all.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Player coach.... stop with this ridiculous argument...

not ridiculous, the truth hurts. McCown is a JAG .... let the kids play. McCown can't develop anyone, if that was the case he wouldn't be one of the most traveled qb's in the league. 

Just now, Stark said:

not ridiculous, the truth hurts. McCown is a JAG .... let the kids play. McCown can't develop anyone, if that was the case he wouldn't be one of the most traveled qb's in the league. 

If McCown Starts.... then bitch... until then why waste your breath.

I would guess there are 3 reasons for McCown getting the reps and the start

1. It is a new offense for the young QBs, so in film review, it might be helpful to see 'how it is supposed to run'; they want the young receivers to have some time with an 'established QB'

2. They want to protect the young QBs from getting killed early on until the OL gets better

3. Until one of the young QBs has 'mastered' the offense enough, they don't want them going out there failing too much (confidence, etc).

Macc has realized that this team can't win this year so he is getting rid of the vets in hopes of getting the young players reps and getting some understanding on where the holes exist before drafting the franchise QB.

14 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The reason is to let the O Line gel before throwing Hack in. McCown will be benched or injured by week 5.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So McCown is basically mine field fodder. Let him go out there and be pummeled to help the OL get their sea-legs. Interesting. But very dark.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The great divide will increase, Bowles will play mccown extra long because he disapproves of the gms moves.

That's fine - if that is the case, he will get fired during the season, and the OC will get a chance to prove himself; either way, it feeds into the suck for 2018 because it is not like McCown can win with this team either.

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

That's fine - if that is the case, he will get fired during the season, and the OC will get a chance to prove himself; either way, it feeds into the suck for 2018 because it is not like McCown can win with this team either.

No he won't get fired, wishful thinking for people who want to see the young guys play.

People better be very prepared to be disappointed this coming season when mccown plays almost the whole year until we are totally out of it.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

No he won't get fired, wishful thinking for people who want to see the young guys play.

The FO appears to be behind the full rebuild, get younger players reps and draft a QB if needed next year. If the coach won't play the young QBs we will draft one next year and we will likely be looking for a new coach. Macc (and Woody) won't be happy if Bowles tries to torpedo the plan.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

I agree that game experience is the best teacher.  But, you don't give game experience to just anyone.  The Jets aren't offering me game experience at QB, and there's a reason for it.  Just as they shouldn't offer it to Petty or Hack if they don't believe that they can achieve a minimal level of competence.  Without that, you're hurting the OL, the WRs, the RB, and the defense.  The punter will get extra work, but otherwise, literally no one benefits if the QB sucks as bad as Petty/Hack just might.  Again, I'm not talking about the fact that McCown may be a little better today, in which case, I'd agree, start youth.  I'm talking about a situation where the attempted development of these QBs stagnates the rest of the team, because they offer nothing positive.

why would you draft them then?

My best guess here is that the Jets need to project to the league that they are 'making an effort to win games' in 2017.  You can't brazenly tank a season without drawing some negative attention from the league office so they had to sign a vet.  If they waited too long, they might get squeezed into having to look at Kaepernick so jumping on McCown early solved both of those problems.  The plan isn't to have him win games.  It's just to give the defensible appearance that's the case.  Nobody is fooled but the league doesn't have a material complaint

Maybe it's not true, but if it is, that would be a satisfying reason.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, pdxgreen said:

My guess is that Macc is just hedging his bets.  He couldn't have gone in and said, "We are TANKING this season.  So he signs McCown to buy him time and lose games until Hackenberg is "READY."  But he never will be.  After McCown and Hack crash and burn, Bowles will be gone and Macc can bring in whomever he wants..... that's if Woody doesn't fire him.   Which I doubt.  But I honestly think that's what is happening.

You have to have some semblance of a professional football team. Enter Houdini center stage.  It really doesn't matter if they go 01-16 or 2-14. With McCown, they will at least give the illusion that they're somewhat competitive.  Losing 37- 17 looks a lot better than 37-3. McCown will at least sell tickets. Starting Petty or Hack will be obviously painful and pathetic.  The writing is on the wall that Petty or Hack are NOT the answer.  Yes they will both play, probably 5-6 games into the season.  They can say, "Hey we gave them a shot and we're moving on".  I really don't take much into account with the McCown signing. The metamorphosis has already begun. Pryor, Revis, Mangold, Harris, Marshall, Decker (soon), douchebag (I mean Geno), Gilchrist and more to follow.  In 2018, Mac more than likely fires Bowles, drafts his franchise QB and continues to gut the roster. McCown might just stick around to mentor the new kid on the block in 2018. Somebody, with ample experience, has to do it.   

Archived