The Jets have the worst roster in football and Buster Skrine is the worst.

T0mShane

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While technically possible, I don't see any evidence to suggest that the majority of NBs in the NFL are measurably worse than Skrine. At best, it seems you're measuring him up against other Jets corners whose domain is covering the slot receiver. That doesn't therefore make him better than most.

Also it goes without saying that, either by poor decision or by necessity, he's not the only player in the league that isn't used at his theoretically-ideal position. Yet in forming this line of defense on his behalf, Skrine alone is given this asterisk benefit of the doubt. That is the weakness of this type of rationalization. 

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had to gather up the energy to care more about this thread and your incredibly obtuse response. [Just kidding]

Seriously, are you on cocaine?? Nobody can get this excited about Buster Skrine and Kyle Wilson without some synthetic stimulant.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The "source" is a website that attempts to look at every play of every game and grade players objectively based on their performance, using algorithms only a few people on this board are capable of understanding.

What is there to "consider", exactly?

what's too consider is the simple fact that you really can't use a sabre metrics approach to analyzing football.  there are just too many variables and, unlike baseball, it's a team sport.  i am not saying that the jets have a loaded team but it is also not as bad as people are being led to believe.  the is getting better as it recovers from two years of bad idzik drafting plus whatever tanny left. i'm sure many are going to jump on the "what about mac spending like a drunken sailor in 2015 argument.  well, yes mac does deserve his share of the blame for the whole rebuild being set back a season but even he couldn't predict geno walking into a fist and then fitz having a banner year in 2015.  it happens and just about everyone liked what he did.  

like parcell's said you are what your record says you are.  it doesn't matter if you win by 1 or 100 a w is a w. we'll see soon enough.  those same algorithms will have an entirely different cast of characters after this season.

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Based on this article what will we say if the Jets win 5 games this year with the consensus worst roster in the NFL ?

Who will everyone say did a good job?

Or will we say Bowles is awful because the team could have won even more with another HC at the helm? :) 

THats the perfect NYJ fan base anthem.  We win 5 games and half the kool aid drinkers are pounding their chest that we were picked to win 2 or 3.  

There are so many JETS fans that think a 9 win season is a success. 

Any time I called out skrub last year, I noticed he has staunch defenders here 

I don't know what they are seeing. 

I see a guy who gets picked on on 3rd and 12 and always gives it up. He reminds me of Wilson, he confuses coverage and chasing. He doesn't understand passing lanes or routes 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

parcells didn't exactly start out on fire.  he was chummy with his defensive players and they failed.  he learned from that experience. i think people need to give bowles a chance to coach a team where he doesn't have to put shelly into a lb slot because he doesn't have a better player or play revis when it's clear he's on the downside of his career or put up with pryor and gilchrist at safety.  and miles isn't any great shakes either.

i think when people make the blanket statement that he lost the team the response should be according to whom?  the talking heads like cimini or mehta or costello etc?  or maybe it was shelly? marshall?  consider the source.  sometimes events beyond one's control overwhelms.  i have my own theory as to why they didn't play well but it can't be stated in this forum.  and this is his team now.  if he fails he fails and should be booted. we'll see soon enough.  the one thing i do know is having a revolving door at hc isn't going to solve this team's problems.

They quit on him on the field and in the locker room. All you had to do wa watch the games to see they were mailing it in. Good coaches rise above the bullsh*t. Great coaches squash it before it becomes an issue. Bowles did neither. Why wasn't Bowles overwhelmed when they went 10-6? He lost the team plain and simple and it was evident on the field.

Good Coaches don't get overwhelmed. Its as simple as that. If a HC gets overwhelmed he isn't ready to be a HC.

Biggest strength: Leonard Williams , the No. 6 overall pick in 2015, is already one of the league's top defensive linemen. He played all over the line for the Jets last season, posting 55 pressures. His 48 defensive stops trailed only Damon Harrison among interior defenders.

Biggest weakness: EVERYTHING ELSE. 

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Biggest strength: Leonard Williams , the No. 6 overall pick in 2015, is already one of the league's top defensive linemen. He played all over the line for the Jets last season, posting 55 pressures. His 48 defensive stops trailed only Damon Harrison among interior defenders.

Biggest weakness: EVERYTHING ELSE. 

Macc deserves another 5 years

On 6/28/2017 at 7:50 PM, T0mShane said:

That'd be all fine and well if this administration didn't heap the far majority of their resources on its secondary.

This franchise operates as if the rules stopped changing right at the point of cheap PI becoming a fact of life after  the Pats/Colts stuff in the 2000s. Devoting that much of you cap and draft slots to defense generally and the secondary especially makes no goddamn sense. Even the bestest defense, Seattle for example, is gonna fail a few times every game. And they're gonna fail a lot more if like the Jets you cannot generate offense, a passing attack and scoring. Basically spent a decade and a half bucking the big industry trend. Putting all your eggs in the defense basket at the expense of the offense is idiocy. The marginal utility of most defenders is less than that of offensive players. Woody Johnson gets in the room with a prospective defense first coach and gets all excited about toughness and a whole load of BS that doesn't mean nearly as much as he would like. Safeties-WHAT THE F____...

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

This franchise operates as if the rules stopped changing right at the point of cheap PI becoming a fact of life after  the Pats/Colts stuff in the 2000s. Devoting that much of you cap and draft slots to defense generally and the secondary especially makes no goddamn sense. Even the bestest defense, Seattle for example, is gonna fail a few times every game. And they're gonna fail a lot more if like the Jets you cannot generate offense, a passing attack and scoring. Basically spent a decade and a half bucking the big industry trend. Putting all your eggs in the defense basket at the expense of the offense is idiocy. The marginal utility of most defenders is less than that of offensive players. Woody Johnson gets in the room with a prospective defense first coach and gets all excited about toughness and a whole load of BS that doesn't mean nearly as much as he would like. Safeties-WHAT THE F____...

We've used 75% of our first and second round picks last ten years on defensive players.  Yet Brady has 0.0 trouble putting up 30 and 40-burgers on us

16 hours ago, phill1c said:

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had to gather up the energy to care more about this thread and your incredibly obtuse response. [Just kidding]

Seriously, are you on cocaine?? Nobody can get this excited about Buster Skrine and Kyle Wilson without some synthetic stimulant.

You're the one "excited" enough to come to his defense and suggest in reality he's actually an above-average player cleverly masquerading as a sucky one to fool us all. 

7 minutes ago, tfine said:

I'm fully convinced Tom Shane's google search history consists of keywords such as "Jets worst team in NFL" "hackenberg reporters" "Bowels hotseat" "bleacher report jets bad" "Jamal Adams bust" "two safeties Jets"

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Also: "Henry Cavill sex tape" and "Is it weird for an adult to own a bearded dragon?"

On 6/30/2017 at 9:06 PM, tfine said:

I'm fully convinced Tom Shane's google search history consists of keywords such as "Jets worst team in NFL" "hackenberg reporters" "Bowels hotseat" "bleacher report jets bad" "Jamal Adams bust" "two safeties Jets"

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 6/30/2017 at 9:14 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also: "Henry Cavill sex tape" and "Is it weird for an adult to own a bearded dragon?"

lol!!

23 hours ago, thadude said:

I think the both the Vikings and Rams will both have worse records than us

Even a one legged Teddy Bridgewater is miles better than any QB we have. They also have the enigma that's Sam Bradford. So no the Vikings will be better than us. 

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Even a one legged Teddy Bridgewater is miles better than any QB we have. They also have the enigma that's Sam Bradford. So no the Vikings will be better than us. 

I don't know what Bridgewater is going to be like when he returns to the field but, for all his limitations, Bradford is a legitimate NFL starting QB who doesn't even turn 30 until midseason. If he can stay healthy, he's still got another 5-7 years left and nobody builds a team beyond that timeframe in mind.

Hopefully one of our two young guys looks far better than either of theirs.

Buster isn't very good. Even as a slot corner he struggles. I'm amazed the Jets have penciled him in as a starter again. He can't cover. I really want Burris to grab that spot opposite Claiborne. The secondary has potential if Claiborne can stay healthy and our 2 safeties are the real deal but we are still counting on young players drafted later on in the draft and a guy in Skrine who just isn't that good. 

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

1. Vikings have no offensive line

2. bridge water isn't playing and Bradford is an overrated egg

3. zimmer is a head case 

The Vikings are going to be really bad

Archived