Yankees - 2018 and beyond

Maxman

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I heard they are about 25 million under the soft cap now.

Who is going to play 3rd?

I think they are going to try to convince Todd to come back on a 1 year deal or 2 year with an option.  They definitely want a good defender there and Andujar still needs work on his 3rd base defense.  

24 minutes ago, gqxluvx said:

I think they are going to try to convince Todd to come back on a 1 year deal or 2 year with an option.  They definitely want a good defender there and Andujar still needs work on his 3rd base defense.  

Yep, this is what I read as well.  Makes sense.  Read that Cashman was always higher on Machado than Harper and this keeps 3rd base a possibility in 2019 if the Yanks decide to go that route.

That said, it would be awesome if both Andujar and Torres are the starting 3B and 2B and both play well.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:08 AM, #27TheDominator said:

+1

I like Hicks.  He falls in the - they all can't be superstars category for me.  They need more switch hitters.  I would hope that they plan to play Stanton at first and DH a bunch anyway, though I admit that I am probably not as familiar with him as most.. 

Hicks’ defense in Centerfield alone makes him worth keeping

7 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Another option is Brandon Phillips on a one year deal at 2B and plug in Torreyes at 3B

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I just saw in the Post that they have apparently traded Headley for some light hitting outfielder according to the Post.  I always peek at the Post when I see it in DC What do you think?  I thought Mitchell was a viable pitcher

100% salary dump

50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly what it was.  Headley for some reason was so much better offensively when he played 1B but Bird has that now

If Bird stays healthy....  huge if.

A lefty, hitting 3rd or 5th.   Between Judge and Stanton or between Stanton and Sanchez.   He should feast, no one will pitch around him, guys always on base, tons of righty pitching.  Bird and DiDi should go off this year.

On 12/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, SMC said:

Yep, this is what I read as well.  Makes sense.  Read that Cashman was always higher on Machado than Harper and this keeps 3rd base a possibility in 2019 if the Yanks decide to go that route.

That said, it would be awesome if both Andujar and Torres are the starting 3B and 2B and both play well.

That would be incredible. Big ifs for both this soon, but man this team would be frightening if they performed.

On 12/13/2017 at 1:56 PM, chirorob said:

If Bird stays healthy....  huge if.

A lefty, hitting 3rd or 5th.   Between Judge and Stanton or between Stanton and Sanchez.   He should feast, no one will pitch around him, guys always on base, tons of righty pitching.  Bird and DiDi should go off this year.

Francesa loves Bird and he looked good late last season.  Headley was pretty much a bust but overall Cashman has been killing it in recent years even if it was Stick who scouted a lot of these players

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Francesa loves Bird and he looked good late last season.  Headley was pretty much a bust but overall Cashman has been killing it in recent years even if it was Stick who scouted a lot of these players

For Bird, it's just health.   If he's healthy, he could be really, really good.   Good bat, good glove, it's just health

On 12/17/2017 at 8:02 AM, Philc1 said:

Yanks resigned CC and actually at less money than probably what he could have gotten somewhere else. Nice

That's a nice deal.   He is on a team that can compete, where he likes to be and they got a very fair market 1 year deal.

On 12/18/2017 at 10:26 AM, chirorob said:

That's a nice deal.   He is on a team that can compete, where he likes to be and they got a very fair market 1 year deal.

CC could have gotten a 2 year deal with more money on the open market.  He must really like it here and we like him

• 3 weeks later...

Yanks reached agreements with all their arbitration eligible players according to ESPN, which puts their salaries at $177 mil, which is $20 mil less than the luxury tax threshold.  This put's them in prime position to spend big money next year without getting a huge tax hit (reduced from 50% to 20%)

On 1/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, SMC said:

Yanks reached agreements with all their arbitration eligible players according to ESPN, which puts their salaries at $177 mil, which is $20 mil less than the luxury tax threshold.  This put's them in prime position to spend big money next year without getting a huge tax hit (reduced from 50% to 20%)

No need to spend big money right now go after the big aces like Kershaw next year

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees minor league player rankings per the big 4 lists recently published;

Yankees

Baseball Prospectus:

3. Gleyber Torres
26. Estevan Florial
51. Chance Adams
57. Justus Sheffield
100. Albert Abreu

Baseball America:

6. Gleyber Torres
38. Estevan Florial
41. Justus Sheffield
59. Miguel Andujar
77. Albert Abreu
81. Chance Adams

ESPN.com:

5. Gleyber Torres
16. Justus Sheffield
54. Miguel Andujar
73. Freicer Perez
99. Albert Abreu

MLB.com:

5. Gleyber Torres
44. Estevan Florial
48. Justus Sheffield
65. Miguel Andujar
74. Albert Abreu
75. Chance Adams

17 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Yankees minor league player rankings per the big 4 lists recently published;

Yankees

Baseball Prospectus:

3. Gleyber Torres
26. Estevan Florial
51. Chance Adams
57. Justus Sheffield
100. Albert Abreu

Baseball America:

6. Gleyber Torres
38. Estevan Florial
41. Justus Sheffield
59. Miguel Andujar
77. Albert Abreu
81. Chance Adams

ESPN.com:

5. Gleyber Torres
16. Justus Sheffield
54. Miguel Andujar
73. Freicer Perez
99. Albert Abreu

MLB.com:

5. Gleyber Torres
44. Estevan Florial
48. Justus Sheffield
65. Miguel Andujar
74. Albert Abreu
75. Chance Adams

So odd.   Chance Adams, #51 overall.    Chance Adams, not in top 100.

Still, that's great especially since several guys were just promoted to the majors last year.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, HessStation said:

Is there an update on this? I thought the timeline was 6 months for non-pitchers on TJ?

No, the early rumors are that Yanks are fine staying inhouse at 3rd & 2nd until Torres & Andujar are ready.  Word is that the Yanks will call up Torres around the 2nd or 3rd week of the season so they get an extra year of service time (if they call him up to start the season he becomes an UFA a year early).  If they do that, they can go with Torreyes for the 1st 10 games.  If Wade loses the dear-in-headlights look like he did last year with his callup he could be an option.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:24 PM, HessStation said:

Is there an update on this? I thought the timeline was 6 months for non-pitchers on TJ?

Looks like Gleyber is already good to go

Still wouldn’t mind another veteran infielder depth is never a bad thing

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Hopefully this Arizona infielder we just traded for works out as well as the last one. I see some similarities. Drury who’s only 24, still has some untapped potential.

I like it.  They didn't give up a ton, gives them more depth, he's young, and not expensive.

Archived