Jump to content

Yankees - 2018 and beyond


Maxman
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, Philc1 said:

Tanaka should start the wildcard game on 5 Days rest

It seems likely.

Severino is finally getting out of his funk.   I truly believe it was a dead arm issue, and I would have sat him, made up a reason to put him on the 10 day DL.  This year is crazy, 98 wins doesn't even guarentee the #1 wild card.

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Yanks go 7-4 the rest of the way out, they will win 100 games, 1st time Boston and NYY have won 100 in the same season.

Tampa Bay put together a hell of a season, should win 90, and will not go to the playoffs barring an epic collapse of Oakland, which I don't see coming.  Seattle can also win 90, which would mean 2 90 win teams did not make the playoffs in the same year.  I don't think that has happened in the wild card ear.   Conversely, you could have 3 different 100 loss teams in the AL in the same year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2018 at 11:51 AM, chirorob said:

It seems likely.

Severino is finally getting out of his funk.   I truly believe it was a dead arm issue, and I would have sat him, made up a reason to put him on the 10 day DL.  This year is crazy, 98 wins doesn't even guarentee the #1 wild card.

Severino looked really good against the Sux.  Let Tanaka start the wildcard game and then hopefully Severino gets game 1 against  Boston

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chirorob said:

Didi hurts his wrist.  Hicks may have just pulled a hammy.  I don't care what they say, I really doubt Judge is 100%.   This is not really looking like our year.

Can you at least beat the A’s? I want the Sox to beat the best teams in the postseason. That means NY then Houston. Then some crap NL team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, chirorob said:

Didi hurts his wrist.  Hicks may have just pulled a hammy.  I don't care what they say, I really doubt Judge is 100%.   This is not really looking like our year.

We do have depth.  Walker can play 2nd while Gleyber goes to SS again.  Gardy can play CF.  That opens up DH

 

ill get carpetbombed for saying this but I wouldn’t mind Bird getting some time at DH he did hit in the playoffs last year.  Or put Sanchez there and Ronnie catches

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We do have depth.  Walker can play 2nd while Gleyber goes to SS again.  Gardy can play CF.  That opens up DH

 

ill get carpetbombed for saying this but I wouldn’t mind Bird getting some time at DH he did hit in the playoffs last year.  Or put Sanchez there and Ronnie catches

I'd put Sanchez there, he is so poor behind the plate right now.

Bird isn't hardly even seeing the field anymore.   It doesn't help his replacement has been on fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2018 at 4:33 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Can you at least beat the A’s? I want the Sox to beat the best teams in the postseason. That means NY then Houston. Then some crap NL team. 

Man, 1 game playoff between 2 teams that each win between 95-100 games.   It really just depends on which team has a starting pitcher that brings his A game.

Boston is the best in the AL this year, but if they lost 1 game to Oakland, would it be that huge an upset?   Anyone can win 1 game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Man, 1 game playoff between 2 teams that each win between 95-100 games.   It really just depends on which team has a starting pitcher that brings his A game.

Boston is the best in the AL this year, but if they lost 1 game to Oakland, would it be that huge an upset?   Anyone can win 1 game.

I think no matter who wins the AL, they take the trophy in a walk. Obviously I want the Sox to win, but if they get ousted by any team from the AL, I wouldn’t be mad or surprised. Postseason is a different animal for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think no matter who wins the AL, they take the trophy in a walk. Obviously I want the Sox to win, but if they get ousted by any team from the AL, I wouldn’t be mad or surprised. Postseason is a different animal for sure. 

Agreed. I think any team in the AL crushes the NL rep. Hopefully it's the Sox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I think no matter who wins the AL, they take the trophy in a walk. Obviously I want the Sox to win, but if they get ousted by any team from the AL, I wouldn’t be mad or surprised. Postseason is a different animal for sure. 

Cub are the best team in the NL (record wise) and they don't even sniff the wild card in the AL.

Course, the Indians don't either, but with that pitching staff...    interesting in a short series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not surprisingly, some serious AL homerism in this thread, spurred by an extremely lopsided league.

To counteract that, the NL beat the Al in interleague games for the first time in years. Despite the disadvantage they have in AL parks.

 

1970 called it wanted the “AL vs NL” rivalry talking points back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given all the key injuries to Judge, Didi, Torres etc., the awful seasons of Sanchez and Bird, and their best pitcher stinking for 12 straight starts, it is remarkable that the Yanks won 100 games.  It was a great season.

Was was 100% behind JA Happ starting WC game, but I'm not so sure.  I think Severino should get the nod and if they win, JA Happ will start Friday against the Sawx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not surprisingly, some serious AL homerism in this thread, spurred by an extremely lopsided league.

To counteract that, the NL beat the Al in interleague games for the first time in years. Despite the disadvantage they have in AL parks.

 

Well, if you want to look at it from the perspective of the AL playoff teams and NL playoff teams vs the opposing leagues, the AL playoffs teams went 64-36 against the NL and the NL playoff teams went 59-41.  Pretty close, but the AL was clearly top heavy.  They beat up on everyone, including the NL

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Well, if you want to look at it from the perspective of the AL playoff teams and NL playoff teams vs the opposing leagues, the AL playoffs teams went 64-36 against the NL and the NL playoff teams went 59-41.  Pretty close, but the AL was clearly top heavy.  They beat up on everyone, including the NL

7 game series between 2 very good teams, anyone can win.   Who has the hottest starting pitching goes a long way.   Who got some breaks along the way, so their bullpen isn't worn out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SMC said:

Well, if you want to look at it from the perspective of the AL playoff teams and NL playoff teams vs the opposing leagues, the AL playoffs teams went 64-36 against the NL and the NL playoff teams went 59-41.  Pretty close, but the AL was clearly top heavy.  They beat up on everyone, including the NL

It is close.

I am not sure how anyone can guarantee a "walk" by any AL team over any NL team in the WS. That is all I am saying.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is close.

I am not sure how anyone can guarantee a "walk" by any AL team over any NL team in the WS. That is all I am saying.

I totally agree.

I think the AL teams are a bit better, but any team that wins 90+ games can win 4 out of 7 from a team that wins 100 games.    Just like Boston should be the favorite, but would it be that shocking if the Astros or Indians beat them in a 7 game series?   In a good week, Verlander can win 2 by himself.   Now, so can Sale, and so can a few others.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is close.

I am not sure how anyone can guarantee a "walk" by any AL team over any NL team in the WS. That is all I am saying.

I, for one, am not saying that.  My point was only that the best teams in the AL are better than the best teams in the NL.  But in MLB, unlike any other pro team sport, the best team usually doesn't win the WS.

For instance, over the last 10 seasons prior to this year (from 2008 season to 2017) only 2 teams with the best records won the WS ('09 Yanks & '16 Cubs)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is close.

I am not sure how anyone can guarantee a "walk" by any AL team over any NL team in the WS. That is all I am saying.

Oh just good old fashioned chest thumping. 

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I totally agree.

I think the AL teams are a bit better, but any team that wins 90+ games can win 4 out of 7 from a team that wins 100 games.    Just like Boston should be the favorite, but would it be that shocking if the Astros or Indians beat them in a 7 game series?   In a good week, Verlander can win 2 by himself.   Now, so can Sale, and so can a few others.

I fully expect the Sox to not win the World Series. I’d be happy to be wrong, but the Astros are really good. 

51 minutes ago, SMC said:

I, for one, am not saying that.  My point was only that the best teams in the AL are better than the best teams in the NL.  But in MLB, unlike any other pro team sport, the best team usually doesn't win the WS.

For instance, over the last 10 seasons prior to this year (from 2008 season to 2017) only 2 teams with the best records won the WS ('09 Yanks & '16 Cubs)

It’s so wide open this year. Every team has flaws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh just good old fashioned chest thumping. 

I fully expect the Sox to not win the World Series. I’d be happy to be wrong, but the Astros are really good. 

It’s so wide open this year. Every team has flaws. 

I give the Sox a 50/50 of getting there.   Which isn't an insult.   They have to beat a good team to then get to the 'Stros or Indians.   I do expect them to take out the Yanks (if we beat Oakland), but again, for all their faults, the Yankees won 100 games, and last year gave the Astros a hell of a good series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, SMC said:

Stanton should never don the pinstripes again

 

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Such a disgrace. I’ll take Gary’s wild flailing over Stanton’s ineptitude all day.

and that’s meant as disrespect to Sanchez.

Man you guys are brutal. You've got a young team with lots of playoff experience. It was a close game, too close thanks to Kimbrel who now owns a 11+ ERA going into the Stros series. Sox, this year, just have the better team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...